Spartacus: War of the Damned

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

Starz has announced that this will be the final season of the series.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=90980

I kind of hate that, but honestly, I think it was to be expected.

I liked Liam McIntyre in the lead role, but it truly belonged to Andy Whitfield. Plus, there were also some minor casting changes in the characters which I don't think helped.

Then there was the killing off of some character faves, which were to be expected. Can't begrudge 'em that.

Some of my favorite characters, notably Crixus, didn't really come across all that well in the last season.

It's actually a smart move. It will complete the story rather than just improperly ending it. Hope they do it right.

(Wish they'd give Gannicus his own spin-off.)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
daisho2004

WOW that Sucks! I love Spartacus! But I hope they do the season Finale Great! @ShaOW!linDude: And I agree with you I didn't like some of the casting changes myself!

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, the season premiere aired last Friday. Talk about bloody!!!! Holy cow! Gannicus is killer!

Now, did anyone who watched this notice that the role of Hilarus, the gladiator who sparred/dueled with his dominus, was none other than.....wait for it.........Richard Norton! He had a really good fight scene at the end. What a treat! The guy's what?....63? Still in great shape.

If you missed it, maybe Starz will rerun it before Friday's ep.

I still haven't caught up with last season but to be honest it wasn't the same without the original actor. I kept on thinking that's not Spartacus. I also thought they made a mistake killing Batiatus(spelling?) demonstrated further by his appearance in the prequel series. I think what they should have done is ran with the prequel, leaving enough space to tell four/five seasons before they catch up with the timeline where Spartacus first appears.

I was thoroughly impressed by Norton! Not only did he pull off the fights but his acting seems to be getting stronger.

I love the scope of this season and the fact that it doesn't seem as small as the early episodes. I can't wait to see how it all pans out.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah I haven't been caught up on the 2nd season as well.. I was so invested in the 1st season with Andy and I don't know, I'm a little hesitant with the new guy as Spartacus.. I still need to see the other one that's a prequel, what's it call??? The guy looks like Phil Collins.. GODDAMMIT, I forgot the name of it, what name of the show?

Yeah I haven't been caught up on the 2nd season as well.. I was so invested in the 1st season with Andy and I don't know, I'm a little hesitant with the new guy as Spartacus.. I still need to see the other one that's a prequel, what's it call??? The guy looks like Phil Collins.. GODDAMMIT, I forgot the name of it, what name of the show?

"Gods of the Arena" is the prequel. Everyone seems to hate it ad I thought it was great.

ShaOW!linDude

The 2nd (prequel) season isn't but 6 eps long. Why folks hated that, I don't know. It's fantastic and a great intro to Gannicus. (That's the Phil Collins character, OKFC.)

Granted, Liam McIntyre is no Andy Whitfield, but the supporting cast really makes up for it, I think. And Gannicus....that guy has some of the best fight scenes in the series! I almost wish they'd do a series just on his character.

As far as Norton, my wife was thoroughly impressed with him. Couldn't believe how good he looked for his age. When I first recognized him, I almost jumped off the couch. Wouldn't it have been great if he had a regular supporting part throughout the show from the beginning?

Thought he looked familiar but couldn't place the face. Never would have guessed. Everyone I know loves Gods of the Arena. Of all of the seasons. I like that one the best bar none.

I really never got into skinny little Whitfield as Spartacus, so I have no problem with this guy at this point. Gannicus would have been a better Spartacus for me so it really doesn't matter. I look at the show as a whole and all characters. I don't watch it for the Spartacus character or actor.

"Gods of the Arena" is the prequel. Everyone seems to hate it ad I thought it was great.

I thought it was much better than Blood & Sand, really enjoyed the prequel also

I had no idea that was Richard Norton! And this series really isn't as good as the previous ones so far, still love it though.

Is anyone watching this series? It's not as good as the previous ones but it is still an awesome series regardless.

ShaOW!linDude

I've really enjoyed it. Crixus and Navea have been annoying (her more so than he). I really like the way Gannicus is and Dustin Clare has had some of the best lines. Liam McIntyre has grown on me as Spartacus. Kind of hate that it's ending now. I could go for another season at least. Hope they spin off the Gannicus character.

ShaOW!linDude

Anyone catch the series finale? Wow!!!! Fantastic end! Some pretty epic bloodshed. Hate that it's over.

Drunken Monk
Anyone catch the series finale? Wow!!!! Fantastic end! Some pretty epic bloodshed. Hate that it's over.

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Yes sir! I usually reserve the term "epic" but the final episode deserves it. I'm not going to lie, Gannicus' final moments crushed me emotionally. It was such a fantastic scene when he's hoisted up on the crucifix. I almost shed a tear.

A fantastic end to a fantastic show.

Archived