Miss Please Be Patient (1981)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

As a long time fan of both kung-fu movies and Korean cinema, 'Miss Please Be Patient' was definitely a curiosity for me. Starring the late great Kim Tai Chung I believe the movie was actually considered lost for a long time, and I'm ashamed to say that under that impression, I was expecting my viewing of it to be just that, curiosity, rather than expecting to gain any kind of enjoyment from it.

Thankfully, I couldn't have been more wrong. The connection between this movie, dating back to 1981, and modern day Korean movies is clear to see. Tai Chung strolls through the movie with a confident swagger, breaking out some lightning fast moves which perhaps, probably due more to Korea's recent lack of martial arts output, I wasn't expecting, and he's happily aided by two beautiful ladies in the form of Jung Yun-hui & Seo Yeong-ran, who both look like they could have stepped out of a Korean movie that was made yesterday.

What comes through most of all is perhaps the sense of fun that the movie carries. If you hear the combination of kung-fu, comedy, and 1981 in any other situation, what immediately springs to mind is the often wince inducing Canto comedy that plagued many a potentially great kung-fu flick, complete with gurning at the camera and alike. However I was surprised to find myself actually laughing along with much of the humour in 'Miss Please Be Patient', despite the low quality picture and sound, it's a movie which has aged well.

I was amazed to be watching a Korean action movie which contained no element of revenge, but then in the final couple of minutes there's a revelation which quickly put rest to that theory....for anyone else who's seen it I'd be interested to know your thoughts, either from a kung-fu movie fan perspective or a Korean one!

PgHeH3Vxj-4

2d7hd02.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Well, here's another movie that if I ever get some cash, I'll have to track down.

I must say, the water pressure in Korea back then was amazing! That's the quickest I've ever seen a bathtub fill up in my life.:tongue:

One Armed Boxer

Ha ha....that's the first time I noticed! The part that always gets me is he goes to his hotel room then just leaves the front door wide open, I guess Korean hotels back then where known for their high levels of safety and even higher water pressure!

Definitely worth a watch, and it's readily available these days thanks to some guys on this very site.

ShaOW!linDude

Maybe he reasoning was: "I'll just leave the door open and hope someone comes in for me to beat up before I get in the bath. I'd hate to take my bath first, and then beat someone up, and get all sweaty again.":tongue:

silver hermit
As a long time fan of both kung-fu movies and Korean cinema, 'Miss Please Be Patient' was definitely a curiosity for me. Starring the late great Kim Tai Chung I believe the movie was actually considered lost for a long time, and I'm ashamed to say that under that impression, I was expecting my viewing of it to be just that, curiosity, rather than expecting to gain any kind of enjoyment from it.

Thankfully, I couldn't have been more wrong. The connection between this movie, dating back to 1981, and modern day Korean movies is clear to see. Tai Chung strolls through the movie with a confident swagger, breaking out some lightning fast moves which perhaps, probably due more to Korea's recent lack of martial arts output, I wasn't expecting, and he's happily aided by two beautiful ladies in the form of Jung Yun-hui & Seo Yeong-ran, who both look like they could have stepped out of a Korean movie that was made yesterday.

What comes through most of all is perhaps the sense of fun that the movie carries. If you hear the combination of kung-fu, comedy, and 1981 in any other situation, what immediately springs to mind is the often wince inducing Canto comedy that plagued many a potentially great kung-fu flick, complete with gurning at the camera and alike. However I was surprised to find myself actually laughing along with much of the humour in 'Miss Please Be Patient', despite the low quality picture and sound, it's a movie which has aged well.

I was amazed to be watching a Korean action movie which contained no element of revenge, but then in the final couple of minutes there's a revelation which quickly put rest to that theory....for anyone else who's seen it I'd be interested to know your thoughts, either from a kung-fu movie fan perspective or a Korean one!

PgHeH3Vxj-4

2d7hd02.jpg

i couldn't have said it better, this film is one of the most fun films i have ever watched. the comedy is genuinely funny and not slap stick or buffoonery. the action was the biggest surprise of the films very high level. it was a pleasure to discover and share with all other fans out there. in my 30 years watching asian action films this film was very refreshing and its not very often in a genre that offers many cookie cutter copycat films this film offers a very rare quality of being origonal

One Armed Boxer
I enjoyed it, too. Fun flick; good fighting and a couple of genuine laughs. I blogged about it just a week or two before Kim Tai Chung passed away so that was a bummer.

Yeah, it was a sad loss. The movie was also blogged about during this years Korean Cinema Blogathon over at Planet Choco Zine -

http://www.planetchocko.com/?p=8008

I arranged for this movie to have it's premiere here in Australia a couple of weeks ago, so posted an extended review of it here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/action-month-review-8th-nov-miss-please.html

Great work and great review! Nice to see the movie get a big screen showing, complete with introduction.

One Armed Boxer
I still can't believe anyone saw Bruce Lee in Kim Tai-chung - he's a Jackie lookalike but not a Bruce one!

Ha ha, I see what you mean. Although I'd prefer to say he's not a Bruce Lee lookalike or a Jackie Chan lookalike, he's Kim Tai-jung, & that's enough.

Getting cast as Bruce Lee though, I think it was perhaps a case of right place at the right time...somehow I don't think he'd have got his chance to shine if he'd entered the kung-fu movie world as Jackie Chan's stand-in for 'Fearless Hyena 2'.:tongue:

Archived