What are your favorite mook battles?

M.H. Boroson

M.H. Boroson

You know what I mean, not the grand duel pitting a hero against a strong antagonist, but the scene where the hero faces a horde of nameless minions. The scene where the hero ducks Mook 1's sword, which winds up decapitating Mook 2, and then the hero grabs Mook 3 and throws him into Mook 4, and so on.

There's a certain joy to these scenes, even if the outcome is never really in doubt.

Share your favorites, please!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fong Sai-Yuk 2

Ong Bak

Tom Yum Goong

Blade 2

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Does that even count?)

It's weird - ask me what my favorite one-on-ones or two-on-ones are and I'll give you a list of Hong Kong movies. But for whatever reason, I'm drawing a complete blank on this one. I almost said Police Story, but that film's finale IS a mook battle.

The obvious one for me would be the playground fight in Police Story 2, Jackie was the master of 1 vs multiple attackers action scenes demonstrating expert timing and powerful skilful techniques as well as innovative choreography.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, I think these fit. Mooks are definitely involved; don't know that I'd say hordes of them were though. In no particular order...

Mission Of Justice

Jeff Wincott runs a gauntlet of escrima stick-wielding goons.

Fists Of Fury/The Chinese Connection

The 1st dojo fight when Bruce Lee returns the defamatory sign to the Japanese.

Fist Of Legend

Jet Li's version of that same fight.

Armor Of God/Operation Condor 2

Jackie Chan's fight with the monks at mealtime in the cavern.

Drive

Mark Dacascos vs a goon squad in a garage.

Enter The Dragon

Bruce Lee vs henchmen in the subterranean level.

Tom Yum Goong/The Protector

Tony Jaa taking out thugs while running up a vast spiral stairway...all in 1 take.

Enter The Fat Dragon

Sammo Hung wiping out stuntmen and a pseudo-Bruce Lee wannabe on a film set.

Best Of The Best 4

Phillip Rhee taking on goons in the villain's all-purpose dojo. Escrima sticks vs a foil....anyone?

Miracles

Jackie Chan's end fight at the rope factory.

Guest Yi-Long

- Fist of Legend, pretty much the very first scene, in which a bunch of Karate-bastards storm into Jet's classroom and start a fight, and Jet Li just demolishes them! What a fucking brilliant beginning to a flawless movie!

The dojo-fight is great as well ofcourse.

- Police Story 2: The playground fight.

TBH, there are so many, especially from the mid-80's and early 90's, when Jackie was doing his best stuff and you saw those kinds of modern fights all across the HK industry.

Andy Lau's The Magic Crystal for example also had a great fight in a gym.

M.H. Boroson

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations! There's a lot here I've never seen before, and a lot I'll have to rewatch. Awesome!

Morgoth Bauglir

Ken Lo in Crystal Hunt

Moon Lee in Angels 3

Kim Won Jin in Women on the Run

Yukari Oshima in Godfather's Daughter

Every Batman movie. He's always smashin out henchmen. Just playin. Hmmm it is a tough one. I'm gonna have to with ole Jackie classics on this one Legend of Drunken and Rumble in the Bronx. Rumble in the Bronx is basically one long Mook battle anyway isn't it.

Every Batman movie. He's always smashin out henchmen. Just playin. Hmmm it is a tough one. I'm gonna have to with ole Jackie classics on this one Legend of Drunken and Rumble in the Bronx. Rumble in the Bronx is basically one long Mook battle anyway isn't it.

Never thought about it, but your right.:smile:

Archived