Remastered Credit Sequences

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Is there any surefire way to tell if a Celestial/Shaw credit sequence is the original or a newly video generated copy?

Thx.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

If there's original animation in the title cards - ie Two Champions of SHaolin or the non shaw Big Boss, then the title card at least is genuine.

The ones on Come Drink With Me look authentic, the rest all look like recreations, but at least they resemble the originals, unlike the terrible titles on the Mei Ah Joseph Kuos, or the replace the scary front with plain white on the Media Asia prints of Encounter Of The Spooky Kind and Mr Vampire.

Guest Markgway

The Tokyo Shock BD for Heroes Two offers the original credits as an extra. Aside form looking better (though not radically different) the first thing I noticed was that Celestial reversed the credits order so that text now reads from left to right. That's confusing if you're used to listing from right to left. Also they sometimes change the titles (The Shadow Boxing, Sexy Killer, etc) and mispell names (director Chang Chen anyone?).

Killer Meteor
The Tokyo Shock BD for Heroes Two offers the original credits as an extra. Aside form looking better (though not radically different) the first thing I noticed was that Celestial reversed the credits order so that text now reads from left to right. That's confusing if you're used to listing from right to left. Also they sometimes change the titles (The Shadow Boxing, Sexy Killer, etc) and mispell names (director Chang Chen anyone?).

Celestial's 2003 Heroes Two restoration had accurate credit re-creations. The HD version takes a lot of liberties.

mantis FIST

nothing to add other than, they had a textless version and then regenerated the credits. I would say most are this way.

Celestial Credits are ALL newly generated as they're working from textless Negatives, no? they all look fake to me, especially if you know them from VHS with different font colours. Also you get the Textless and Text-only Scenes on Digibeta following the movie, as i was told by Koch Media.

Guest Markgway
Celestial Credits are ALL newly generated as they're working from textless Negatives, no? they all look fake to me, especially if you know them from VHS with different font colours.

Having checked out a bunch of credits sequences I was coming to that conclusion myself...

Even ones that LOOK genuine (ie. Angel Strikes Again) are redone (Celestial's version adds 'The' to the title).

Killer Meteor
Having checked out a bunch of credits sequences I was coming to that conclusion myself...

Even ones that LOOK genuine (ie. Angel Strikes Again) are redone (Celestial's version adds 'The' to the title).

Some Euro horrors I've seen on DVD DO have the original credits, but they are from a film print source (usually dammaged) inserted into the new transfer from the negative.

mantis FIST
Celestial Credits are ALL newly generated as they're working from textless Negatives, no? they all look fake to me, especially if you know them from VHS with different font colours. Also you get the Textless and Text-only Scenes on Digibeta following the movie, as i was told by Koch Media.

This would make sense. I worked at a post house in LA and all the titles we did had textless backgrounds for all texted sections in the feature.

I would hope they're not on digibeta. those tapes are SD.

Not to highjack the thread but this is an interesting subject. I have heard terms tossed around but I have no idea what the process is for making credits and texts for movies.- (before the digital age)

So, if Celestial were working with the original negative then none of the credits or/and subs would be on the film. I am guessing that those are added when they go to print the theatrical print from the negative? What team would have handled the making of the credits then? Too bad those sequences did not survive. Sorta like lost art. What material was used to make the credits? And, I am guessing all done at the optical stage.

The funny thing for me is, The Shaw Brothers logo background looks like an Christmas ornament that we had as a child. And if you showed a light against it it would give you the same effect. I always wondered if that is what they used for that.

Archived