Miami Connection (1987)

ShaOW!linDude

Filmmakers appear to be Korean and is that the Gwon Yeong-Mun as choreographer?

Yes is it! Kwon Young-Moon is credited as the fight choreographer of the film. He also choreographed the action for another Richard Park film, L.A. STREET FIGHTERS (1985), aka NINJA TURF, with Jun Chong, Phillip Rhee, Bill Wallace, James Lew, and in a non-action role, a young Loren Avedon.

I loved the action in L.A STREET FIGHTERS...tae kwon do style kicking, some nice Hapkido at times and the use of the Korean wooden sword were used nicely in the film.

I have two options next week...the film will be playing at the Enzian theater in Orlando next weekend on its final theater run...but also next Tuesday, the film hits DVD, Blu-Ray, and (get this) limited edition VHS!

Yes, you heard right, Drafthouse is turning out only 400 copies on limited VHS for $19.99 on their site!

• Like 1

That trailer is fantastic. Is that seriously Maurice Smith? The kickboxing, Pancrase and UFC Maurice Smith?

Hilarious. :xd:

That's what I originally had thought, but it turns out this is a DIFFERENT Maurice Smith. Seeing the recent reunion video of the cast, it definitely is NOT the UFC/kickboxer Maurice Smith. The Maurice Smith here is a protege of Y.K. Kim as were the core cast of the film.

Those itching to get their hands on the DVD, Blu-Ray or Limited edition VHS...4 more days!!!!

• Like 1

That's what I originally had thought, but it turns out this is a DIFFERENT Maurice Smith. Seeing the recent reunion video of the cast, it definitely is NOT the UFC/kickboxer Maurice Smith. The Maurice Smith here is a protege of Y.K. Kim as were the core cast of the film.

That makes more sense... that guy didn't really look like the kickboxer Maurice Smith, not matter how long ago it was. Unless this Y.K. Kim "Maurice Smith" was a WKA World Heavyweight Champ, IMDB is wrong yet again.

• Like 1

• Administrator
IMDB is wrong yet again.

Yeah, they're something else! After telling them three times that WHICH IS STRONGER, KARATE OR TIGER is not, and has never been an alternate title for DRAGON PRINCESS, they finally just fixed it. :nerd:

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Right now, this is my favorite film of all time. Yes it's better than the Raid 2 X 2!!!!!!!!!! We need to discuss this film in great detail, I don't think you understand the magnitude of how groovy to the grove this movie really is..

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

MPM74, Get your ass in here!!!! Please tell me I'm not the last guy to just now have seen it? Do you have a search function on your site? I don't know if you've seen/discuss this movie at all?

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

After seeing it in the theater I was anxious to see it again, but I wanted my wife to watch it with me. My parents bought me the Blu-ray for Christmas, and I kept bugging her to watch it, insisting she would find it hilarious. It took months, but she watched about an hour of it before falling asleep. She laughed, but not like my son and I did. It seems she just doesn't enjoy the "so-bad-it's-good" movies like we do. But I loved it even more the second time.

What's to love you ask?

- Caucasian, white-clad Miami drug-smuggling ninjas.

- Enormous earrings, jarring '80s clothes, and terrible hair.

- A martial arts band that "play" instruments in the most unconvincing manner ever seen.

- 30-45 year old "college students".

- The most uncomfortable "We're all just college roommates" semi-dressed bonding.

- Missing father subplots.

- The war cries during the heated battles.

- The supreme kicking technique... the "I got Your Nose, Grabbed It With My Toes" attack.

- A main villain who's bad temper (typically over nothing) leads to laugh out loud line readings. My favorite is when he asks his sister who the guy she's with is. She says "A friend." and he acts as if she's just said "A baby-eating Nazi" as he yells out "A FRIEND?!" This guy slays me! :xd:

- Oh yeah, and the cast knows martial arts too!

• Like 1

I showed my ex-wife the film (before the split) and she seemed to like it. She liked the fact she recognized not only UCF (I love the scene where Dragon Sound comes out wearing 5 different UCF shirts) but we recognized State Road 46 in the bar scene because we saw the "Enterprise" sign that is on 46 (I live literally next to Enterprise LOL).

Even recently found out one of the Dragon Sound guys lives in the same town as I do.

I still love this film...even heard because of the resurgence Y.K. Kim may be making a comeback to films. Last I heard, he is working on a deal with someone about another film but nothing is set quite yet...saw it on his Twitter.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
I showed my ex-wife the film (before the split) and she seemed to like it. She liked the fact she recognized not only UCF (I love the scene where Dragon Sound comes out wearing 5 different UCF shirts) but we recognized State Road 46 in the bar scene because we saw the "Enterprise" sign that is on 46 (I live literally next to Enterprise LOL).

Even recently found out one of the Dragon Sound guys lives in the same town as I do.

I still love this film...even heard because of the resurgence Y.K. Kim may be making a comeback to films. Last I heard, he is working on a deal with someone about another film but nothing is set quite yet...saw it on his Twitter.

My favorite movie of all time!

• Like 1

- A main villain who's bad temper (typically over nothing) leads to laugh out loud line readings. My favorite is when he asks his sister who the guy she's with is. She says "A friend." and he acts as if she's just said "A baby-eating Nazi" as he yells out "A FRIEND?!" This guy slays me! :xd:

No one beats the ousted band leader, who constantly is yelling...you SON OF A BITCH!!! You SON OF A BITCH!!! In the trainyard fight scene...there's that SON OF A BITCH! RIGHT THERE!

Of course the cast knows martial arts too LOL :) Thats the fun thing. Found out the guy who plays the club manager (He gets a fight scene in too!! YES! YES!) was one of the assistant instructors at Y.K. Kim's school as was main villain Jeff (A FRIEND?! Wait...ROSS?! (for some reason, Vincent Hirsch reminds me of David Schwimmer look-wise at times))

• Like 1

massa_yoda

This was on Netflix streaming for a while, but they took it off before I was able to check it out. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

No disc option either. Oh well, I'll watch it at some point.

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

classic status man, just incredible funny..double bill: Miami connection followed by The Room.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
classic status man, just incredible funny..double bill: Miami connection followed by The Room.

The Room is a one-of-a-kind movie, it belongs in its own league.

• Like 1

:sad: Dude...don't even bring up THE ROOM in the same sentence as MIAMI CONNECTION....Watsa matta with you? LOL

No but I do have the double perfect bill:

L.A. Street Fighters and Miami Connection (both feature 35-40 high school/college students; both were directed by Richard Park and both were choreographed by Kwon Young Moon....I'd say that's perfect!) :bigsmile:

One more thing....do you think it's safe to move this thread to the Modern Martial Arts Cinema thread. It was made in 1986, released in 1987.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Secret Executioner
One more thing....do you think it's safe to move this thread to the Modern Martial Arts Cinema thread. It was made in 1986, released in 1987.

Isn't there already a topic on this film over there ?

• Like 1

I'd say let's just merge these two...

OKFC, I would love to know where that came from too...looks like Moises Arias from Hannah Montana LOL :P

Okay Back on Topic...

I would love to know what happened to the lead ninja of the film, Si Yung Jo.

I found him on the cover of a 1997 issue of World of Martial Arts magazine

WMA%201997-03%20Cov.jpg

Dragon Sound 2012!!!

MiamiConnectioRedCarpet_LoRes_JP_MG_5443.JPG

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Haahha, guys I got the gif from a torrentz site/ not sure who the creator is but it's pretty hypnotic huh? I'm watching this movie again tonight because I'm a 'Tough Guy'!

• Like 1

I can't tell if this is a trolling thread.. Or if this is slightly serious.. I can't tell the "sarcasm" or serious delight

• Like 1

This was on Netflix streaming for a while, but they took it off before I was able to check it out. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

No disc option either. Oh well, I'll watch it at some point.

Damn! I had it in my queue, had no idea it was taken off. I'm a sad panda.

• Like 1