Miami Connection (1987)

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

Anyone ever seen this 1987 film? Oh my word! This looks awful. One of the bikers even looks like the guy who played Taggert in the Beverly Hills Cop series. The clip is for some cheesy song "Against The Ninja" and there's no choreography shown whatsoever. I never saw this....and I think I'm grateful. Just wondering if anyone suffered through it and their thoughts on it.:tongue:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/drafthouse-films-bringing-back-cult-martial-arts-flick-miami-connection.php

• Like 1

odioustrident

Like LA Streetfighters but totally amateur in comparison... one of these seen-to-be-believed films. I remember the fights being alright though?

Someone should do an article detailing the history of Koreans making Western movies... ending with The Last Godfather.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
Like LA Streetfighters but totally amateur in comparison... one of these seen-to-be-believed films. I remember the fights being alright though?

That says something, I guess, I don't believe I'll be seeing it.:tongue:

• Like 1

Anyone ever seen this 1987 film? Oh my word! This looks awful. One of the bikers even looks like the guy who played Taggert in the Beverly Hills Cop series. The clip is for some cheesy song "Against The Ninja" and there's no choreography shown whatsoever. I never saw this....and I think I'm grateful. Just wondering if anyone suffered through it and their thoughts on it.:tongue:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/drafthouse-films-bringing-back-cult-martial-arts-flick-miami-connection.php

I don't know about how good the film is, but the song is not bad. Here is the full version of it that I found on YouTube:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
I remember the fights being alright though?

Here's the final fight, so it goes without saying it's a spoiler, but hopefully it can answer odioustrident's questions.....what do you think?:tongue:

OByxmjtFbs0

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

@ OAB

Thanks for posting that. Wow. A couple of times, I was, like, "okay, that was cool" but then I was all "urp!" That was pretty bad. I mean, I've seen worse....but not much worse.

I don't know about how good the film is, but the song is not bad. Here is the full version of it that I found on YouTube:

Hmm. A song that inspires the club patrons to clap offbeat and chant like baritone drones...dude, I've serious doubts about your taste in music.:tongue:

Okay, so just what is the premise of this movie? A "rock" band does a crappy song about ninjas and so offends them that the ninjas seeks them out to kill them? And the ninjas lose? Come on!!! Where was Sho Kosugi when you needed him?:tongue:

• Like 1

@ OAB

Thanks for posting that. Wow. A couple of times, I was, like, "okay, that was cool" but then I was all "urp!" That was pretty bad. I mean, I've seen worse....but not much worse.

Hmm. A song that inspires the club patrons to clap offbeat and chant like baritone drones...dude, I've serious doubts about your taste in music.:tongue:

Okay, so just what is the premise of this movie? A "rock" band does a crappy song about ninjas and so offends them that the ninjas seeks them out to kill them? And the ninjas lose? Come on!!! Where was Sho Kosugi when you needed him?:tongue:

My taste is in music is just fine I assure you.:smile: I didn't say it was great just that it was "Not bad". Meaning that it could have been better, but I was able to stand it. It is nowhere near as good as the Rap song from TMNT 2: The Secret of the Ooze.:cool:

Just joking, I am just joking!:yociexp110:

• Like 1

Ok, so I know nothing about this film but having just watched the trailer, I'm REALLY tempted to get tickets...

VpZu69OB2KM

Come November it's actually showing in select theaters (including downtown DC..YES!!). A list of showings can be found here...

http://drafthousefilms.com/film/now-playing/miami-connection

Apparently this is a remastered version of a 35mm print bought off eBay for $50. I'm not sure if it's well known with ninja fans as, in all honesty, I haven't seen a huge number of ninja films.

This looks like a LOT of fun though!

• Like 1

Ok, so I know nothing about this film but having just watched the trailer, I'm REALLY tempted to get tickets...

Come November it's actually showing in select theaters (including downtown DC..YES!!). A list of showings can be found here...

http://drafthousefilms.com/film/now-playing/miami-connection

Apparently this is a remastered version of a 35mm print bought off eBay for $50. I'm not sure if it's well known with ninja fans as, in all honesty, I haven't seen a huge number of ninja films.

This looks like a LOT of fun though!

IIRC, it was shot in Central Florida - it's well known with me, at least...

• Like 1

C'MON no Miami screenings? I go to Drafthouse's site - badass digest quite often for my movie news, also comes in handy for their beer columns. It's suppose to be an awesome slice of 80's cheese.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

There's gotta be more gems like this sittin on the dust piles somewhere right???? This is amazing stuff/ it's also playing at fantastic fest in Austin, hoping to go to that screening...

• Like 1

Nice! Didn't know about the DC/VA showings! I'd love for them to get it to play at AFI in Silver Spring :wink:

That's my local cinema so I would love that too!

• Like 1

That's my local cinema so I would love that too!

Nice! Hell, I'm sure you know they's played Tommy Wiseau's The Room there twice, BOTH times with Wiseau there, and once with a live version of the movie! That being said, this seems like it'd be a shoe-in :wink:

If that fails, I may have to give E-street a shot, although I've only been there once (last year when they played Lucio Fulci's Zombie), as for some reason I thought Richmond, VA was *much* closer... not so much :tongue:

• Like 1

Nice! Hell, I'm sure you know they's played Tommy Wiseau's The Room there twice, BOTH times with Wiseau there, and once with a live version of the movie! That being said, this seems like it'd be a shoe-in :wink:

If that fails, I may have to give E-street a shot, although I've only been there once (last year when they played Lucio Fulci's Zombie), as for some reason I thought Richmond, VA was *much* closer... not so much :tongue:

E-Street is pretty great. I've seen a few films there, including "The Raid," and found it to be more than satisfactory.

• Like 1

E-Street is pretty great. I've seen a few films there, including "The Raid," and found it to be more than satisfactory.

Yeah, the theater was nice... it's just driving through DC that's a bit annoying :tongue:

• Like 1

Yeah, the theater was nice... it's just driving through DC that's a bit annoying :tongue:

I don't drive so I'm a Metro man. It's pretty easy to get to from Takoma Park (where I live).

• Like 1

This looks like 83 minutes of laughing my ass off fun - I am sold :tongue:

It will be playing at the Landmark Sunshine (NYC) which is a couple of blocks from my job, I can catch a show after work.

• Like 1

The movie will play at Florida State University on December 1 and then the Enzian in Orlando, FL from December 14-15.

Fantastic Fest in Texas got a treat! The cast who play the martial arts rock band Dragon Squad reunited for a live performance.

AWFvr7mVVBM

Only wish I could find a way to go see it on the screen, but it will hit DVD the same week so who knows :D

• Like 1

• Administrator

I met the cast, who did a small demo, and got to see the film at a midnight showing during the New York Asian Film Festival this summer. Someone even snuck in a bunch of beer, and out of the blue they waked over and put a cold one in my hand. Thanks- you know who you are! :tongue:

The movie was a blast! My son and I laughed the entire time. I'm definitely picking this up when it's released on DVD/Blu-Ray next month.

My full write-up will appear in part 2 of my coverage of the NYAFF 2012 whenever I get a chance to finish writing it. :angel:

• Like 1