Favourite type of Kung Fu Characters?

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon

I was just wondering what are people favourite type of Kung Fu Character?

Do you like the White Haired Masters like Hwang Jang Lee as the Sliver Fox SECRET RIVALS, Lo Lieh as Pai Mei EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN ect or maybe the good of master like Simon Yuen in DRUNKEN MASTER maybe Wong Fei Hung to.(White Haired Masters could be my favourite they are my favourite type of villain at least)

Young arrogance, almost looking for a fight & some time a lot to learn for a more comic effect the Fang Shih Yu type of character a lot of Fu Sheng films, Jackie Chan ect.(I like these character as they can the film feel a bit more light hearted)

Also the more serious Hung Sze Kuan like character.

I myself also quite like Twin fighters like Yuen Kwai & Yuen Biao in THE INVINCIBLE ARMOUR or Silver & Gold Tiger from KUNG FU OF 8 DRUNKARDS.(I like it when these character are almost like minor images also quite different some as it not a 1v1)

Massive villains eg Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Bolo(challenging fight for the hero)

Psychotic villains eg Lo Lieh in HUMAN LANTERNS, Sunny Yuen DREADNAUGHT(I think it disturbed mind maybe sick minded character or just crazy fighting everyone for almost no reason)

Villains you can understand why they may do something maybe jealousy or something.

Also maybe Shaolin, Wu-Tang, Ninja, Bruce Lee clone ect.

Any of others?

& reason why you like them?

Also maybe examples?

You can add characters from other types of films if you like it just that I'm almost solely KF when it comes to films.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the arrogant ones always looking for a fight. Peter Chan in The Odd Couple springs to mind. I'll get back to you with more...

Here are a few of the types of characters I like seperated by type:

Masters: I prefer masters that are kind of on the nutty side, but are really good at what they do and can be serious when the time calls for it. Simon Yuen's character in "Druken Master" is likely the best example of the type of masters I like.

Hero: Think Donnie Yen's character in "Ip Man" and Jackie Chan's Character in "Druken Master" and you will see my two favorite type of heros.

Villians:I prefer that the villian not be the completely evil type, but to be a more complex character that thinks what he is doing is right. Best example is the King of Qin in Jet LI's movie "Hero"

Guest Yi-Long
Here are a few of the types of characters I like seperated by type:

Masters: I prefer masters that are kind of on the nutty side, but are really good at what they do and can be serious when the time calls for it. Simon Yuen's character in "Druken Master" is likely the best example of the type of masters I like.

Hero: Think Donnie Yen's character in "Ip Man" and Jackie Chan's Character in "Druken Master" and you will see my two favorite type of heros.

Villians:I prefer that the villian not be the completely evil type, but to be a more complex character that thinks what he is doing is right. Best example is the King of Qin in Jet LI's movie "Hero"

Perhaps a better example of a villain not being completely evil, might be Frankie Chan in The Prodigal Son.

I generally just like the young student wise old master combination.

Also, I like 'experts', like 'the guy with a staff', or 'the guy with northern legs', etc.

I usually don't like any characters with obvious wigs, obvious fake eyebrows, obvious make-up, etc etc. When it starts looking like the characters have been pulled from a poor schoolplay, it just erks me. I think it looks stupid and it takes me out of the story.

I also like fighting graceful ladies btw, like Kara Hui.

Perhaps a better example of a villain not being completely evil, might be Frankie Chan in The Prodigal Son..

Yeah I agree. The other guy was just the first to pop into my head.:tongue:

sifu iron perm

The honourable and most respected Teacher such as Sang Kuan Chun (7 grand masters).

TibetanWhiteCrane

The stereotypes are what makes the genre. But im always happy when more off beat characters are presented. And by off beat I don't mean annoying, creepy, Dean Shekish buffoons or people in weird makeup and looney hairstyles.

I mean someone like Kwan Feng in Five Superfighters. This guy is something else... He feels such indignation over people practicing kung fu poorly (or what is not up to his standards) that he has actually made it his life's mission to walk the land and "correct" people's crappy kung fu, in the form of thorough ass kickings..... It's not like he's some über villain with an evil masterplan, he's basically just a giant D-bag whose driven by arrogance more than anything else......that's brilliant. This type of character is seen in other flicks as well, but I don't think it's played better than Feng does here, even with his relatively limited screentime.

There is also the ambiguous badguy, such as Frankie Chan in Prodigal Son, like Yi Long mentioned. Or Yasuaki Kurata in Heroes Of The East and Legend Of A Fighter. I especially love him in the latter. He's such a tragic character, and the ending is, for my money, one of the most moving finales in the old school canon.

The Dragon

I'm not certain what to call this particular character, however, he's always able to learn a style by watching others, then become even more proficient than they; Cliff Lok had a couple of films where he played that type of character, (SHADOW OF THE TIGER) being one, Chan Wai Man in (MARTIAL ARTS) AKA (THE CHINESE MACK), and Ko Fei's villainous expert in DRAGON ON FIRE.

Those characters always have superior abilities, and usually are tough to conquer.

I'm not certain what to call this particular character, however, he's always able to learn a style by watching others, then become even more proficient than they.

"Awsome" sounds like a good description of that character.:tongue:

BlackLamaFaction

For me it has to be the Anti Hero, the guy who isn't good at all but sometimes will fight for a just cause, or the guy your not sure what he's all about until the end. Some examples I like are Fu Sheng in Life Gamble, or Lui Sing Kung in Shaolin Invincible Guys, or even Li Yi Min in Shaolin Iron Claws. These types of characters are also quite prevalent in samurai movies, but that would be for another thread.

Omni Dragon
These types of characters are also quite prevalent in samurai movies, but that would be for another thread.

If you want to Samurai characters go ahead I did say: "You can add characters from other types of films if you like it just that I'm almost solely KF when it comes to films."

Shi-kwan Yen. He played the sickness master in Dance of the Drunk Mantis. His whole weird persona, but then again it was a Yuen clan film and they can get a lil weird. Just watch Taoism Drunkard I love that movie. Lots of interesting weirdos in that one too.While all these weird characters are good they are no match for Shi-Kwan Yen's sick kung fu.

Yeah ole Sunny Yuen/Yuen Shun Yi was cool. I know what you mean my friend his super cheese laugh as the devil, love it.

Omni Dragon

Anyone else like the young foolish/buffoon characters like Li Yi Min in 7 GRANDMASTERS & the like. I quite like these kind of characters for me it makes the film feel more light hearted though I mostly them in dubs.

Omni Dragon

Here's a sort of top 5 of my favourite type of Kung Fu Characters

1White Haired Master(foxes) Strengths are they have great fighting ability to the point that they are nearly invincible. Down side they can look a bit odd, weird, silly. Some are just about fight though others are more ambitious & calculating(sinister planning) I think a worthy villain should be a challenge for the hero & the White Hairs certainly are. (examples Hwang Jang Lee as the Sliver Fox SECRET RIVALS, Lo Lieh as Pai Mei EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN)

2The Serious typical kind of hero they have good ability & honourable nature down side is there quite typical normal kind of hero.(examples Chen Kuan Tai as Hung Sze Kuan HEROES TWO I think the Hung Sze Kuan is a good example because of the he probably the most common character that fits the description)

3Old Master(good) just like number 2 but wiser but less typical & some time can but more comic like which can lead to a downside of them being very wacky.(examples the DRUNKEN MASTER & Wong Fei Hung)

4Young foolish/buffoon characters this can have a really bad fighting ability be usually learns to become great like give the film a more light heart feel can get too silly. I personally like them better dubbed. Often clumsy & accidentally getting into fights.(examples Li Yi Min in 7 GRANDMASTERS, Ting Wa Chung in DEATH DUEL OF MANTIS)

5Crazy mad fighter killing/fighting spree great fighting ability but narrow-minded all they do is fight.(Sunny Yuen DREADNAUGHT, Kwan Fung THE FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS)

my opinion may change.

shaolindogpaw

I've always been partial to the plucky characters who start off goofy/awckward, but evolve into very powerful martial artists. An example would be Jackie Chan in Half a Loaf of Kung Fu or Fearless Hyena.

In samurai movies my favorite characters are always the type like the leader of the samurai in Seven Samurai. Wise, weathered, veteran with a sense of bittersweet humour.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, Jaguar Wong is the ultimate badass, chewing gum, kicking ass and banging chicks with pithair!

One of my favorite types of Kung Fu Characters is the tough female lead, such as, Michelle Yeoh in Wing Chun..........Cynthia Khan in In The Line of Duty 4..........Jeeja in Chocolate and Raging Phoenix.................I know that there are many others that I'm not listing, but here is Brigitte Lin in Swordsman 3:

post-35402-144191891426_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite types of Kung Fu Characters is the tough female lead, such as, Michelle Yeoh in Wing Chun..........Cynthia Khan in In The Line of Duty 4..........Jeeja in Chocolate and Raging Phoenix.................I know that there are many others that I'm not listing, but here is Brigitte Lin in Swordsman 3:

Welcome to the KFCF Stonehail.:smile:

I also am a fan of the tough female lead( as long as they don't start looking like guys:tongue:) Michelle Yeoh and Jeeja are two of my favorite actresses, haven't seen a movie yet with them that I didn't like.

DarthKato...........Thanks for the welcome!

I agree about Michelle Yeoh and Jeeja............Michelle looked great and was great in the finale of Wing Chun. :bigsmile:

Brigitte Lin is my top favorite. I realize that she didn't have the skills of Michelle or Jeeja........but, she could certainly appear menacing in movies like Swordsman 2 &3 and Deadful Melody.

Black.Dragon

The Professional Killer/ Wandering Swordsman character is a favorite of mine . Magic Blade, Killer Clans and Three Famous Constables are a few films that come to mind. I love the swagger of the highly skilled swordsman who is always ready to kill.

Archived