Champions 1983 (Yuen Biao) best version?

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Thanks, but im kinda oldschool, so i'll rephrase....

What's the best tangible version available for purchase?

If there is one....

• Like 1

luckystars

Thats a tough one. I remember paying top $$ to get a friend post me the Megastar DVD from Japan many years back.

I think the Korean DVD is a possible option, but its OOP too.

EDIT: This might be good. Looks like a Malaysian port of the Japan Remaster???

http://www.mudah.my/DVD+Yuen+Biao+Moon+Lee+Dick+Wei+THE+CHAMPIONS-13622101.htm?last=1

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

You might try skimming through the latest dvd/Blu-ray purchases thread. I can't remember who it was but someone got this on dvd a while back. It might be they could tell you about that version.

I have a version on vhs but I couldn't tell you what version or who put it out off the top of my head. I haven't watched it in years and don't know if I can put my hands on it right now. It may be a boot for all I know but I got it through Tai Seng, I remember that.

• Like 1

Japanese remastered DVD From Paramount looks very nice. 16:9 fully restored Version. new 5.1 Audio which sadly has new Sound Effects, but the Music sounds great. no English options of course.

no Version on adc yet as i was too lazy to upload.

• Like 2

Fortune Star has released a Blu-ray version of this film.  The English subtitles are not the greatest, but enough to understand what is going on in the film.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Fortune Star has released a Blu-ray version of this film.  The English subtitles are not the greatest, but enough to understand what is going on in the film.

I think one of the members here mentioned The Champions will most likely be released next year, either by Eureka or 88. I've seen it available at DDD on blu, but decided to wait for the mentioned release.

• Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

On 12/6/2020 at 6:49 PM, Super Ninja said:

I think one of the members here mentioned The Champions will most likely be released next year, either by Eureka or 88. I've seen it available at DDD on blu, but decided to wait for the mentioned release.

Good to know. I just learnt about the existence of this movie, and thought about getting the HK blu. 

• Like 3

Cool lil' Yuen Biao movie. Have a Chinese DVD with a nice slipcase that actually offers a pretty good print - but the damn' thing freezes up half-way through, no matter which player I stuck it in. Ordered the new HK blu ray the other day and I'm really curious about the quality. A rather obscure title like this on 88 or Eureka would be a serious surprise... not sure how reliable that info is, though.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sheng said:

Cool lil' Yuen Biao movie. Have a Chinese DVD with a nice slipcase that actually offers a pretty good print - but the damn' thing freezes up half-way through, no matter which player I stuck it in. Ordered the new HK blu ray the other day and I'm really curious about the quality. A rather obscure title like this on 88 or Eureka would be a serious surprise... not sure how reliable that info is, though.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

It's sad that this didn't get a UK cinema release in the '80s or at least become a staple on UK TV. Yuen Biao's career might have turned out different.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
On 5/6/2021 at 7:47 PM, Cognoscente said:

It's sad that this didn't get a UK cinema release in the '80s or at least become a staple on UK TV. Yuen Biao's career might have turned out different.

It might have got a limited release in cinemas. According to the BBFC website they classified it in 1984: https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/the-champions-s-t-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0zmtywode

That said, I'm quite surprised it's never had a bigger push in the UK considering the popularity of association football (soccer). I'm also a bit surprised that I've never come across a release that tried to push it as the 'original' Shaolin Soccer.

• Like 4