What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Two Wondrous Tigers

John Chang and Phillip Ko are rivals for the hand in marriage of a local girl,however it's complicated by the local big boss son also wanting her. Not too bad at all, the widescreen print had a lot of damage but decent enough.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Two Wondrous Tigers

John Chang and Phillip Ko are rivals for the hand in marriage of a local girl,however it's complicated by the local big boss son also wanting her. Not too bad at all, the widescreen print had a lot of damage but decent enough.

Great movie. I enjoyed it a lot when I watched it. Ko Fei, John Chang and Yang Pan Pan are great, as well as the actor and actress playing Yang Pan Pan's brother and sister.

• Like 3

Disciple of Shaolin Temple 1985

Very good movie. I thought it was a Mainland one, but hkmdb lists it as a Hong Kong movie.

Solid story and great fights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Disciple of Shaolin Temple 1985

Very good movie. I thought it was a Mainland one, but hkmdb lists it as a Hong Kong movie.

Solid story and great fights.

I kinda think this was a Mainland film with some Hong Kong talent working in the fight choreographer's and director's chairs, or a Hong Kong film with Mainland wushu practitioners in the lead and supporting roles.

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

ODD COUPLE. Another education gap filled, greatly enjoyed it (apart from the scene with the poor little sparrows which nearly spoiled it for me). I like Mars, a rather large part for him even if he did not have that much to do action-wise. Apart from DRAGON LORD I don't remember seeing him in larger parts, aren't there any movies where he gets to play lead or major secondary roles?  

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 2/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, Secret Executioner said:

Damnit movie hero, think of all the guys who work and would rather be doing Kung Fu. Or maybe it's a Fu film set in Bizarro world ?

Haha! I learnt about Bizarro World in a Seinfeld episode and reading your comment reminded me of this 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2020 at 4:52 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

ODD COUPLE. Another education gap filled, greatly enjoyed it (apart from the scene with the poor little sparrows which nearly spoiled it for me). I like Mars, a rather large part for him even if he did not have that much to do action-wise. Apart from DRAGON LORD I don't remember seeing him in larger parts, aren't there any movies where he gets to play lead or major secondary roles?  

The only one that comes to mind is: "Lackey & The Lady Tiger" 1980 also starring Hwang Jang Lee

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=2840

Bless

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

@ukrevrendCool, thank you!! 

I just watched BLACK PANTHER (1973), a really nice basher. Chen Sing's best "friend" slips drugs into his luggage, earning him some years in prison. Girlfriend Nancy Yen sticks with him and believes in his innocence, as does cop Ho Ping. I liked how Nancy Yen had more than a vase role, joining Chen Sing in fighting against the bad guys. Coherent story with suspense and lots of action. After Chen Sing runs after Yasuaki Kurata's car through half of Hong Kong he has at least the decency to have some sweat on his face :D 

Spoiler

Sadly Nancy Yen cannot take part in the end fight against Yasuaki Kurata, actually I hoped until "The End" that someone would enter the scene and tell Chen Sing that her injuries were not that bad but it did not happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kung Fu Zombie

Silly but entertaining Billy Chong vehicle, cashing in on the Mr Vampire craze.

Enter The Whirlwind Boxer

Meng Fei returns as Fong Say Yuk, Tan Tao Liang is the top fighter working for the evil bosses. Meng Fei goes undercover working for them. Some decent action here.

99 Cycling Swords

Lackustre effort despite a decent cast including Polly Shang Kwan and a wasted Lo Lieh

• Like 3

3 hours ago, saltysam said:

Kung Fu Zombie

Silly but entertaining Billy Chong vehicle, cashing in on the Mr Vampire craze.

This predates Mr. Vampire by about 3 years or so. It's probably cashing in on Sammo Hung's Encounters of the Spooky Kind.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

This predates Mr. Vampire by about 3 years or so. It's probably cashing in on Sammo Hung's Encounters of the Spooky Kind.

Fair enough, it had a very Mr Vapire style feel. Maybe Mr Vampire ripped this off :happy

• Like 4

On 3/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Haha! I learnt about Bizarro World in a Seinfeld episode and reading your comment reminded me of this 

This always reminds me of a Dentist that was in our Taekwondo class back in the early 90s, he had to be careful about not hurting his hands because of his profession but was a real likable guy that had the spirit but not much talent at TKD. At the time we didn't have many adults for him to spar so the instructor would let him spar with the kids, non contact of course. But he would act so serious sparring those kids, throwing awkward and wild ass kicks while yelling out blood curdling Kias/yells. It was a hilarious sight l remember after all these years, I miss that guy....

• Like 3

18 Bronzemen

Standard story, young kid's family is massacred, he's spirited off into the Shaolin Temple where Carter Wong and himself have to pass near impossible tasks to get through their training, including fighting the title characters. Once they are out they seek revenge. Pretty decent Joseph Kuo movie, the japanese blu ray i watched with custom added english subs looked great

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, saltysam said:

18 Bronzemen

Standard story, young kid's family is massacred, he's spirited off into the Shaolin Temple where Carter Wong and himself have to pass near impossible tasks to get through their training, including fighting the title characters. Once they are out they seek revenge. Pretty decent Joseph Kuo movie, the japanese blu ray i watched with custom added english subs looked great

What version of the film did the blu-ray use? I've only seen the UK DVD which was the original 1976 version dubbed into English, but the Mei Ah DVD uses a re-edit with extra Carter Wong scenes lifted from later films.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

Secret of the Shaolin Poles (1977)

Impressive Meng Fei film, with him once again playing Fong Sai-Yuk (complete with the title music from Heroes Two), and this time battling Tiger Lei's evil Japanese brother (Yasuaki Kurarta, who played the Chinese villian in the earlier film The Prodigal Boxer) on the requisite pole formation. Terrific fight chorography, a good story, and a case of favourites, I really enjoyed this. Think I'll watch it again right now!

8/10

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 3

Return Of The 18 Bronzemen

The bronzemen return in this sequel,though they are the only connection to the earlier movie, apart from the cast in different roles. Carter Wong plays an evil prince who blags his way into the Shaolin temple in order to learn their secrets and pass the bronzemen test,which takes up the bulk of the movie as he tries and tries again. Not bad with a rather abrupt ending. The mei ah DVD is horrible, as though it's widescree it's non-anamorphic so when zooming to full wide the subs dip partly beneath the screen.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:52 AM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I like Mars, a rather large part for him even if he did not have that much to do action-wise. Apart from DRAGON LORD I don't remember seeing him in larger parts, aren't there any movies where he gets to play lead or major secondary roles?  

'Naughty Boys' is required viewing!

http://www.hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=6818&display_set=eng

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
21 hours ago, saltysam said:

The print on the blu ray of 18 Bronzemen looked great, so hopefully other titles are in similar condition.

Do you know which edit of the film it was?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Do you know which edit of the film it was?

i'm not too familar with thr film, i'd only seen the old MIA DVD years ago. The blu runs a few seconds under 95 minutes.

• Like 3

Graeme Of Death

Kids From Shaolin.

Another great Jet Li film featuring most of the main cast from Shaolin Temple. Again a decent plot, a little bit different from the usual fair. Like Shaolin Temple loads of nice outdoor scenes. Last 20 minutes is non stop quality kung fu.

Only criticism is the kids from Shaolin do a good deal of crying and whining and can get on your nerves a bit. Also was there any need for the shot of the dad flicking that wee babies penis. Strange humour the Chinese have :)

• Like 4

Sleeping Fist

An okay kung fu comedy with Simon Yuen as the old unlikely master..... I was excited to see Beardy in a leading role, only to really learn I feel he's better off as a supporting character. (He is amazing in Knockabout). The kid was superbly talented, and showed some crazy contortionist like feats of flexibility. All in all, the movie was kind of funny, but the comedy gets old quickly. The fights aren't great, they mainly just serve as showcases for Beardy and the Kid. Beardys fighting performance is very similar to Knockabout, but not nearly as polished or met with equal talent like it is in that movie.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 3