What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Master With Cracked Fingers kungfurobber edition. Yo he told the young boy to take off his trousers and jump in a burlap sack full of snakes? Is not child abuse? Or sexual assault? 

Can't be good for the snakes either.

• Like 3

The Rarescope release is the best version available, the film was thought lost l believe until someone found the print in Taiwan but it was badly damaged. Rarescope did a good job considering what they had to work with but they definitely should have redone the subs, the original ones are hard to make out because they're on the actual film print and get camouflaged. Still it's one of my favorites because of Tan and Chi's performance. They both said in interviews that this was their best performance.

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 2

Fearless Dragons

Beardy & Phillip Ko are two rascals wrongly blamed for stealing a shipment of gold. A great pairing but the movie has far too much unfunny comedy in between the excellent fights. The film seems to be set many years before 1977 yet Beardy and Phillip have apparently seen Midnight Express and Roger Moore as James Bond. Excellent climax where they go up against Shaw Veteran Wang Lung Wei . The Vengeance video dvd is partly wide,english dubbed and taken from a vhs source. One of their better efforts though that's not saying much.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
13 hours ago, CT KID said:

The Rarescope release is the best version available, the film was thought lost l believe until someone found the print in Taiwan but it was badly damaged. Rarescope did a good job considering what they had to work with but they definitely should have redone the subs, the original ones are hard to make out because they're on the actual film print and get camouflaged. Still it's one of my favorites because of Tan and Chi's performance. They both said in interviews that this was their best performance.

I hoped Pearl River would do new subs for LEG FIGHTERS. The ones on that print aren't too bad, but there are other films like SHOWDOWN or CHOI LEE FAT KUNG FU where they might as well not be there.

• Like 3

Karado The Hong Kong Cat

Is this 70's basher a good movie? no but i loved it anyway. Cheung Nik is a young righteous brilliant fighter who discovers his brother is working for gangster tiger (Bolo with an epic moustache and haircut) plenty of fighting ensues, usually in a field or a quarry and it has the added bonus of evil bastard Fang Yeh getting his trusty whip out again. The german dvd is ok, widescreen ,english dub and also has a chinese audio option, but no english subs.

Iron Monkey

70's classic has Chen Kuan Tai  as the title character, who early on sees his family captured and murdered by the chings, he ends up joining the shaolin temple where he learns monkey style and then heads back to infiltrate the ching high command and take his revenge. Really good storyline, little to no comedy and some excellent shapes here, bad guy roles for Beardy & Kam Kong. The german DVD is widescreen anamorphic, english dub with a few inserts from an inferior source.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

Master of flying guillotine. Brilliant movie featuring martial arts tournament with kung fu experts, muay thai, yoga etc...And around is vengeful flying guillotine who is after one armed boxer who killed 2 his students.

One of the best jimmy wang yu movies I have seen, lots of action and quality of fights they are not exactly superb but above average absolutely. While 1armed does not attend to tournament he gets to do about every main fights and in tournament plenty of fine bouts. As almost every duel ends up to death, eagle girl peeling off monkey as bringing moment for lighter tone is fine.

Pathfinder dvd while PQ is fair at least there is annoying flickering at times. This would definitely benefit of proper br upgrade.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Between the non-anamorphic DVD and the anamorphic one being produced, the negative was ruined!

And Neu didn't take kindly to their music being swiped, so apparently a proper re-issue is currently off the cards.

But damn, I can dream!

• Like 2

i have the australian 2 disc, it's not bad but that classic needs better.

Kung Fu Vs Yoga

Chien Yuet San & Alan Hsu are two friends given a task by Tiger's wife who he won in a kung fu contest, to do three things  before she lets him has his way with her, the final task which involves beating an indian yoga master. Not bad but these buddy kung fu comedies get very samey. German DVD is cropped widescreen, english dub with some lesser quality scenes inserted,in english with german subs.Fong Hak Ahn has a small role as a transvestite 😁

• Like 3

Warriors Two(1978)

Directed and starring Sammo Hung.

This for me is the traditional Kung fu movie I would show to someone who wants to see some great shapes for the first time.Great cast and choreography make this a classic.Ive seen it many times and I don’t get bored watching it,and I never hit the fast forward button.Sammo Hungs choreography is fast and crisp and you have everything from fist,kicks and weapons.Some people prefer The prodigal son and say it was the peak of the Kung fu movie but for me Warriors Two is the top of the tree and the kick at the end from Casanova Wong is incredible.👍👍👍👍

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
5 hours ago, sym8 said:

Warriors Two(1978)

Directed and starring Sammo Hung.

This for me is the traditional Kung fu movie I would show to someone who wants to see some great shapes for the first time.Great cast and choreography make this a classic.Ive seen it many times and I don’t get bored watching it,and I never hit the fast forward button.Sammo Hungs choreography is fast and crisp and you have everything from fist,kicks and weapons.Some people prefer The prodigal son and say it was the peak of the Kung fu movie but for me Warriors Two is the top of the tree and the kick at the end from Casanova Wong is incredible.👍👍👍👍

The failing of this movie is that it is a homage to Wing Chun, but at the end the best students have to gang up on a scrawny mantis expert to defeat him, after the female student (and the style was supposedly created by a woman) is defeated using the styles double knives. Anyway, Wing Chun gets hammered pretty hard these days by MMA practitioners, so I won't pile on....

• Like 4

Goose boxer

Tiger's claws

Dragons from the orient

New legend of shaolin

Claws of steel

Breakout from oppression

Swordsman at large

Crazy shaolin disciples

7 star grand mantis

The young master

Magnificent natural fists

The wrecking crew

Game of death

8 diagram fighter

The super gang

Imperial sword

Karate on Bosphorus

Writing kung fu

Kung fu arts

Shaolin deadly kicks

Fearless dragons

Kung fu zombie

Militant eagle

Shaolin posse

Rikisha kuri

Black panther

Pfffui !! A real marathon since last time !! (And I don't mention the musicals that I watched too !!)

It's really time that I write some reviews before forgetting what I watched, or else, I'll have to rewatch them all !!! :bs_laughing:

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Goose boxer

Tiger's claws

Dragons from the orient

New legend of shaolin

Claws of steel

Breakout from oppression

Swordsman at large

Crazy shaolin disciples

7 star grand mantis

The young master

Magnificent natural fists

The wrecking crew

Game of death

8 diagram fighter

The super gang

Imperial sword

Karate on Bosphorus

Writing kung fu

Kung fu arts

Shaolin deadly kicks

Fearless dragons

Kung fu zombie

Militant eagle

Shaolin posse

Rikisha kuri

Black panther

Pfffui !! A real marathon since last time !! (And I don't mention the musicals that I watched too !!)

It's really time that I write some reviews before forgetting what I watched, or else, I'll have to rewatch them all !!! :bs_laughing:

More reviews!!

• Like 2

The Invincible Kung Fu Legs 南北腿王 (1980) a/k/a The Leg Fighters. Have two copies. Tai Seng full frame had much better colors but watched the wider burnt in subs version. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Hat's off, Impressive doesnt do that kind of Kung Fu movie marathon justice. That's a lot of movies to cover @ShawAngela. I don't think I've ever watched that many in such a short space of time. Even when I had a whole more free time to do so. Sometimes I just don't get round to, or make the effort to write about each movie viewing on the forum's. If I intend to post a review here, I'll take down written notes. It's also nice to just sit through a film, without any intentions of writnig a signifcent amount about them.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on The Super Gang, Writing Kung Fu, The Young Master and Black Panther.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Hat's off, Impressive doesnt do that kind of Kung Fu movie marathon justice. That's a lot of movies to cover @ShawAngela. I don't think I've ever watched that many in such a short space of time. Even when I had a whole more free time to do so. Sometimes I just don't get round to, or make the effort to write about each movie viewing on the forum's. If I intend to post a review here, I'll take down written notes. It's also nice to just sit through a film, without any intentions of writnig a signifcent amount about them.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on The Super Gang, Writing Kung Fu, The Young Master and Black Panther.

Well, I'm currently off sick due to a surgery on my right hand and the recovery is much longer than I was told, so, it gives me a little time to watch movies, sometimes 2 or 3 a day...

I think that I'll have to take some notes too when watching movies, because with so many movies viewed in a so short time, I'll may make some mistakes...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I think that I'll have to take some notes too when watching movies, because with so many movies viewed in a so short time, I'll may make some mistakes...

If you have sat through that amount of movies making a few mistakes is no big deal. Everyone makes mistakes, thats one of the benefits of posting on this forum. Someone else can point out an error you might have missed. A lot of these films can be very simlar too, which doesnt make things any easier. Especially when you have watched as many films as most people here have. You are also posting reviews in a 2nd language, which in itself is an accomplishment. If I was to review a movie in French, I would be struggling to write just a small parapgraph.

• Like 4

Thanks for the good words, @DragonClaws.

Two more movies watched yesterday : Black eagle's blade (superb) and The snake strikes back.

The more I watch Korean movies, the more I realize that I'm not really into this kind of movies, at least for the ones with Benny Tsui. The ones with Elton Chong are a little bit more interesting, but I hate these English dubbing in which one can't understand what is said during the comedic scenes or the fight scenes because everybody speaks at the same time and very loud, without properly pronouncing the words, and I hate too these screams that can be heard during the fights. If only they were like in the Shaws' movies, just low scream showing that the fighters release their energy and not these awful screams that even cover the noise of the kicks !!

• Like 5

Ghost of the fox

Monkey with 72 magic

10 fingers of death

Double dragon in the last duel

10 tigers of shaolin

It's really time that I decide to write the reviews...

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE STORY OF DRUNKEN MASTER. What a mess of a movie but great action thanks to lots of talent! It could have been grand.

The Xenon version is a horrible pan and scan. But even worse is the dubbing, definitely the worst I ever experienced. It was not only bad it was also done by ppl who cannot speak proper English. I understood less than 50 %. On the other hand, I do not think that was a great loss. If I ever watch the movie again, I will fastforward any non--action scene. 

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

THE STORY OF DRUNKEN MASTER. What a mess of a movie but great action thanks to lots of talent! It could have been grand.

The Xenon version is a horrible pan and scan. But even worse is the dubbing, definitely the worst I ever experienced. It was not only bad it was also done by ppl who cannot speak proper English. I understood less than 50 %. On the other hand, I do not think that was a great loss. If I ever watch the movie again, I will fastforward any non--action scene. 

There are two dubs. The widescreen Vengeance Video release has a dub from the team who dubbed FEARLESS HYENA and THE DRAGON, THE HERO. The Xenon dub appears to have been done by Chinese speakers ala ABBOTT WHITE.

• Like 2