What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Chu Liu Hsiang

DEAF MUTE HEROINE - what a great movie, with lots of fights and atmosphere and above all grand intense performance by Helen Ma. I always wanted to see this, now it's easily available thanks to Schröder Media's AsiaLine. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 12:37 AM, CT KID said:

This was one of the first kung fu movies I saw as a kid, it was shown on what was called Black Belt Theater that came on tv every Saturday night in the early 80's. I had taped it on a beta VCR  I had and would watch it over and over throughout the week. It had some good fights in it, especially the finale and the comedy was good as well. I wanted one of those red tracksuits with the 2 white stripes down it that Ho Chung Tao wore in the last fight but could never find one anywhere for my parents to buy. Man I miss those simpler times....

One of my favourite Bruce Li movies,well made and great fight choreography 

• Like 4

Just finished Drunken Master followed by Snake in the eagles shadow.Like me we have all probably seen these movies many times,and while they are both classics I still prefer Snake over Drunken master.What about the rest of you guys?

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

DEAF MUTE HEROINE - what a great movie, with lots of fights and atmosphere and above all grand intense performance by Helen Ma. I always wanted to see this, now it's easily available thanks to Schröder Media's AsiaLine. 

Is it english-friendly?

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
4 hours ago, sym8 said:

ust finished Drunken Master followed by Snake in the eagles shadow.Like me we have all probably seen these movies many times,and while they are both classics I still prefer Snake over Drunken master.What about the rest of you guys?

I like/ dislike details in both of them. Drunken Style eventually wins :) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sym8 said:

Just finished Drunken Master followed by Snake in the eagles shadow.Like me we have all probably seen these movies many times,and while they are both classics I still prefer Snake over Drunken master.What about the rest of you guys?

SITES as well.  Like the zero to hero story a little better and it’s a tad more serious.  

• Like 4

Enter the dragon. Surely as said in other topic most iconic MA flick ever made even as it`s far from best. Not even BLs finest(prefer big boss and perhaps FoF too)...

Fun flick to revisit between 2-3 years..Fight between O `Hara and Lee works fine because O`Hara is no match. When Lee teaches him good lesson easily makes him angry and lose face. Had it been fight about equals O´Haras decision to grab bottles would not be as effective.

Saxon and Kelly have some great comic book dialogue...

Hmm, when Lee breaks mirrors in the end there is no scratches in his fists, surely they were hard but not made of steel...

Uhm. should one day to buy this with chinese audio...

:BL-Slap:

• Like 3

The Master Strikes

Casanova Wong gets swindled early on, transporting a treasure that mysteriously goes missing and losing everything. He goes mad, two likeable conmen come along to help him and themselves. Not bad,the comedy schtick gets a bit tiring.

72 Desperate Rebels

Chen Sing appears in this one for a whole 5 minutes 😣 at times incoherent storyline but has some ok action, it also has Lung Fei as a zatoichi-like blind swordsman! Barry Chan stars but the highlight is the invincible 7 foot giant who can chew swords with his mouth. The widescreen english dub print on youtube isn't bad at all.

Tiger From Hong Kong

An on the run Chang Yi ,framed for murder tries to clear his name. Decent 70's basher featuring the great Lung Fei as a bastard. Again the youtube widescreen english dub print isn't bad.

• Like 4

Secret Executioner
58 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Lung Fei is such a cool villain, shame he seemed to vanish by the mid-80s.

Agreed. That said, he still had a very prolific carreer as he seems to pop up in pretty much every late 1970s Fu flick I watch. I swear that at a point - a few years ago when I'd watch Fu flicks pretty much every week - he was in every single movie I watched. :bs_coveredlaugh:

Edit: I just remembered he wasn't always a villain. In the awesome classic Born invincible for instance he was a teacher (or the head ?) of a Kung Fu school that was challenged (and killed) by baddies Carter Wong and Lo Lieh. 

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 3

snake and crane arts of shaolin. 8 masters have disappeared and jackie wanders around with book of 8 steps of snake and crane trying to find man with mole shaped mark at his shoulder...Story starts very interesting but unfortunately script did not deliver further much. Could skip over an hour without missing anything important. Some characters introduced and few fights(mostly beating lot inferior enemies)..Eventually jackie reaches man he was looking and mystery revealed...

Even as being fan on Lo Wei jackies more than almost all J movies set on modern time this was not so good one. Was first view and bit disappointed...By no means a big failure, jackie has in the end great battle against kam kong and trio of spear fighters.

Also opening credits spear display is interesting and immediately after that tonfa&swordarmed jackie vs 2 spearman.

Probably takes  long time before watch whole thing again but parts are worth seeing again quite soon...

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 3

Fighting Ace

John Liu wants to learn kung fu to avenge his parent's death when he was a baby.He ends up with about three different masters as the film progresses.Not bad, some decent fights with a role for Ti Chin, from Way Of The Dragon.I'd like to see this one fully wide.

Moonlight Sword & Jade Lion

Confusing movie has Angela Mao being sent to find her masters missing brother. An underused Don Wong Tao co-stars. As a fan of both,i was disappointed.Nice widescreen print on the dvd, english dubbed.

Dragon Vs Needles Of Death

Not the best basher (our nail throwing hero is a whiny wimp) but i enjoy these 70's bashers so always make allowances. Last 30 minutes or so is non stop action. The blu ray looks ok, worn and scratchy but nice and clear, english dubbed.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, saltysam said:

Fighting Ace

John Liu wants to learn kung fu to avenge his parent's death when he was a baby.He ends up with about three different masters as the film progresses.Not bad, some decent fights with a role for Ti Chin, from Way Of The Dragon.I'd like to see this one fully wide.

Ditto, on the Widescreen thing, and certainly one underatted John Liu film.

Dragon Vs Needles Of Death

Not the best basher (our nail throwing hero is a whiny wimp) but i enjoy these 70's bashers so always make allowances. Last 30 minutes or so is non stop action. The blu ray looks ok, worn and scratchy but nice and clear, english dubbed.

Sounds like one I need to seek out, so many of those early basher's featured epic finale's. Just when you think you've seen it all, they carry on for anohter ten minutes or so. That said, some of them were just plain rubbish with some really bland, ropey and rough looking action direction.

Who is the star of this one?.

Moonlight Sword & Jade Lion

Confusing movie has Angela Mao being sent to find her masters missing brother. An underused Don Wong Tao co-stars. As a fan of both,i was disappointed.Nice widescreen print on the dvd, english dubbed.

I wont be watching this production anytime soon, but with Angela Mao and Wong Tao among the cast. I'll have to view it at somepoint in the future. Even if Wong's role just an extended caemo?.

• Like 2

Took another deep dive into world of Old-School Martial cinema, with a recent viewing of The Big Risk(1974) a.k.a When Tough Guy's Meet. Any Kung Fu Fandom reader's/followers interested in my ramblethon, please click or tap on the link below, thank you.

MV5BYWY2ODE5YzQtZmU5OS00OTI0LTgyZTYtMmVj

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE VICTIM - wow for a grand old action fest! Also a great example for Hong Kong's notorious blend of moods. I thought Beardy's unfortunate wife was The Victim until Sammo uttered that phrase. Most hateable role I've seen Chang Yi in so far. I want to see more of Wilson Tong, are there movies where he plays lead? 

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

My Wilson Tong faves (based on his role and the action.... not necessarily the movies as a whole)

Dirty Kung Fu

Kung Fu Genius

Snake in the Monkey's Shadow

Young Avenger

Snake Deadly Act

Daggers 8

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

Thanks, they went to my list. I'm especially after KUNG FU GENIUS, as I saw this is the movie where he got his doctor's degree :D 

• Like 3

Lucky Stars by Sammo Hung Kam Bo.

I’m impressed how good Sammo is at writing. The movie is a lot of fun, with fight scenes at the beginning and the end and pure hk comedy in between. The scene in the haunted house is epic (Chan in an Arale costume is a hoot)!

• Like 4

Graeme Of Death

Love the Lucky Stars films for the fighting, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars having Yuen Biao do the greatest bit of martial arts ever filmed :) But I truly struggle through the Eric Tsang, Richard Ng spectrum disorder, sex offender "comedy"

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

sex offender "comedy"

But...but...that resulted in Rosamund Kwan in a wet T-shirt in Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars!!!!

• Like 2

the devil`s sword. I remember hating that indonesian flick several years ago but if memory was correct I have to take my words back now...Hard/impossible not to give some liking for a movie which has alligatormen doing martial arts, witch cut into two but that does not stop her, sword turned into snake, cyclops, alligator statue shooting lasers, skeleton boatman, fighter who uses exact clone of The Flying Guillotine etc.....If one likes Boxers Omen sort of things, you want to give this a try.

There is  fighting around and few bits are even good and most of time it`s not too bad. Barry Prima is quite weak tho...he can kick ok and do few agility moves but exchanging blows he is not good at.

It`s sort of bad movie but definitely in a good way.

• Like 3

Re-posted link for my review of Rage of The Wind, that was deleted in the past. For any new forum fans or anyone who missed it first time round.

meng-hu-xia-shan-the-rage-of-wind-18982-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

"You don't fight back, why not use your needles of death?"

A not so classic Taiwanese old School beat em up from 1974, was my last Kung Fu movie viewing experience. You can read my thoughts on this one, by tapping/clicking on the link below.

MV5BYWI4OWRkNWEtNTYwMS00MzhiLTgwMGUtN2U3

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3