What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

4 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Kung Fu Mama 4/6

Has anyone seen Wang Yus Knight Errant , curious about it even if it may not be the best 

i've got Knight Errant, it's a bit out of whack but i liked it. However i am biased as i am a Wang Yu fan.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

I'm definetly a Knight Errant fan. You gotta love a film where three guys train their whole lives in painful kung fu in order to kill one man, then they just try to run him over with a fortlift truck!

• Like 4

The Shaolin Plot- Movie was alright. Quite primative as it is a typical "villain wants to rule it all" as Chan Sing wants the secret manuals of all the kung-fu schools. It was extremely goofy at times (Chan Sing having a fake googly eye that is evidently plastered on his face, villains hiding under grass, needlebed in front of the house). Aside from that, James Tien was decent in here. It could have used more training scenes, but Casanova Wong steals the show as usual. Sammo Hung is pretty evil in here, and he tricks you in the beginning. Chin Kang was pretty cool in here too, but you feel bad for him every time he fights. Verdict: 7/10

I upped it from 6 to 7 because Casanova Wong and Kwan Yung Moon also stole the show in the final fight scene and the fight with James Tien at the temple.

Edited by Ah_Tao
  • Like 2

Coliseum1972

4/6 is a decent grade from me , very seldom do I give 5/6 or 6/6 (full score)

Its not a science , I can give a decent grade even if a movies plot isnt the best , like Bruces fingers......at least I find BF somewhat entertaining

(Personally I find a movie like Batman TDK kinda overrated and Batman MoP or TMNT '90 is just as good to use an example)

THE ODD COUPLE 1979

Absolutely fantastic film I can't believe i didn't get around to watching until now!

Directed by Lau Kar Wing and starring him and Sammo Hung, with both playing two roles respectively. The two play older masters, one an expert in Sword, the other in Spear, who meet every few years to battle in order to see who is the best, every time resulting in a draw - they decide to both take on a pupil to train, then have the pupils fight to see which is better. They each play the other's pupil ( Sammo plays student to Lau Kar Wing's old man part, Lau Kar Wing plays Old Sammo's student) a Mix of comedy in the Drunken Master/ Snake in Eagles Shadow style, but with some of the best weapons Choreography I've ever seen throughout. I tend to forget just how amazing Sammo Hung was back in the day, despite his size, his grace and speed were incredible!

It's really cool to see Lau Kar Wing in more of a leading role, usually only really know him from his supporting parts in some of his brother's movies (The end boss fight in Legendary Weapons of China and playing the Assassin at the start of 36th Chamber of Shaolin) But he's a really charismatic and capable lead actor here, and his direction is absolutely on point. I enjoyed this every bit as much as I did the early Yuen Woo Ping comedy-fu flicks.

Absolutely worth checking it out.

The whole movie is up on YouTube, but its worth tracking down the Hong Kong Legends DVD if you can, it has dual language options and a Bey Logan commentary track too.

The Odd Couple

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Not a movie as such, but I re-visited the Pogoda sequence from Game of Death, via Alan Canvan's new Re-edited, Re-Scored, Re-dux.

Click on the link below for my complete write-up, thankyou.

game_of_death_poster_glc_16.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 7/24/2019 at 9:05 AM, ShawAngela said:

Steel fisted dragon 1977

Well...I had a strange feeling after finishing this movie...The fights are good and the plot is the usual plot of this kind of movie : evil gang taking advantage of people, killing the hero's mother and girlfriend (though that boss had asked his men to bring her to him, they rape and kill her without being punished for disobeying...a little flaw in the plot, unless the English dialogues don't match the original language ones...) and he takes revenge on them.

It's mentioned as a Bruce exploitation movie and the guy uses Bruce's screams and attitudes, but...I'm not an expert on Bruce Lee but I don't think he has ever used any animal shapes in his fights and here, I recognized at least the snake, the tiger, the monkey and maybe the eagle styles...And it's even mentioned on the cover that the hero uses Jeet Kune Do, which I strongly doubt !

It's always jarring seeing Dragon Lee doing Mantis Fist in THE CLONES OF BRUCE LEE.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

TOUGH GUY - Chen Kuan Tai and Judy Lee in lots of fights against thugs and traps and obvious plot twists towards a rare happy ending. Poor picture quality but I still enjoyed the movie. 

Seems Boris the Spider was interested in the end fight :D 

DSC_0852.JPG

• Like 2

Dragon On Shaolin Tower

Entertaining Taiwan production, standard evil japs against heroic chinese hijinks is lifted by it's serious plot (no comedy here) and some very good fight sequences (especially on the aforementioned Tower) Lung Tien Sheng & Tung Li are amongst the stars. The vengeance video is one of their better efforts, english dubbed and non-anamorphic widescreen.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

Method Man (aka Fearless Young Boxer)

First half of this one is a little boring and any film where the great Lung Fei doesn't last 10 minutes in isn't the ideal way to sway me.However it does improve greatly with some excellent fights and Casanova Wong being a bad ass is always good.Standard pupil seeking revenge for father's death is by the numbers for the genre. T he vengeance video release is ok,not great.

Drunken Master Strikes Back

Fairly forgettable genre knock off has some familiar faces but they are mostly wasted. Interestingly this movie has scenes of cockfighting, a BBFC no no, i wonder if VV bothered to get this certified? or did they accidentally release an uncut version?

• Like 2

Demon Strike

Beardy,Hwang Jang Lee & Jason Paio Paio in the same movie? Should be a classic right? Well, not really i wasn't keen on this, possibly not helped by the crappy VV print on the DVD.Decent final 3 way battle though.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Delved into the murky depths of indiependent Asian cinema, for my latest ramble. Kung Fu Fandom reader's/contributors can access my complete write-up. By clicking on the link below, thank you.

HerooftheTime.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

Last Hurrah for Chivalry - Finally got around to the recent Blu Ray release. I find the film to be overly poetic and a bit convoluted in places but it looks beautiful (set design was top notch) and the action, while clunky early on in the film, is fantastic. For the year it was made, the swordplay is wonderful.

The raid on Lee Hoi San’s palace is just non-stop kung fu madness and it’s perfect. Great choreography, great gimmicks.

Again, a little over the top with the Wu Xia themes but as an actual kung fu film, it’s a masterpiece. Heavy on the blood too!

• Like 2

18 Swirling Riders

Ok, a kung fu flick featuring the likes of Chen Sing, Wong Tao,Lo Lieh etc has do be decent right? wrong, this is a terrible, confusing movie about (i think) a group of robin hood kung fu philanthropists who rob from the rich to give to the poor. Awful film and the VV dvd is pants. A crime against old school, very depressing.

• Like 2

The dragon the odds 1979

I discovered this movie two days ago and i enjoyed it.

I think that except in the TVB series The book and the sword with Adam Cheng, it's the first time that I see Kwan Hoi San doing kung fu in a movie, and doing it well !

The two main actors are good as martial arts buddies who go on revenge without a very good martial arts background and go spying some schools in order to improve their skills.

There is humor in this movie, and good fights and the ending fight is very good.

Mary Hon Ma Li has a very short fight, and I think that except seeing her as a wuxia fighter in the TVB series Chu Liu Xiang with Adam Cheng, I hadn't seen her in old school martial arts fights, but sadly, she didn't have a very big role nor a very big fight...

Mabe I'm the only one her to think that Alan Chan looks a little bit like Eric Tsang ?

• Like 3

Triumph By Two Kung Fu Arts

Boring supposed kung fu flick where literally the first 40 minutes consist of an old woman looking for her son and said son moaning he wants revenge. All this takes place in the dark with little to no action. Luckily it picks in after this, Chan Wai Man pulls himself together and goes after revenge on his father's killer Kam Kong, the Silver hermit. Typically this poor movie is one of VV's better quality releases , Wide and clear english dubbed.

• Like 2

Two heroes shooting stars 1980

I just watched this movie and here I am again : What a superb movie !!

Of course, Li Yi Min's character isn't very good since he kills without any reason with the only purpose of marrying a girl, but he is forgiven because his fights are excellent and the style he shows here is very unusual (I had never saw this kind of clapping hands kung fu !).

And what could I say about the always excellent, elegant, lovely Chi Kuan Chun ? He is excellent, as usual !

I watched the French dubbed version of this movie and I noticed that some scenes are shown at the end of the movie that I never saw in it, so, is it the same for all the versions or just the French version that is cut ?

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 8/6/2019 at 6:50 PM, saltysam said:

Triumph By Two Kung Fu Arts

Boring supposed kung fu flick where literally the first 40 minutes consist of an old woman looking for her son and said son moaning he wants revenge. All this takes place in the dark with little to no action. Luckily it picks in after this, Chan Wai Man pulls himself together and goes after revenge on his father's killer Kam Kong, the Silver hermit. Typically this poor movie is one of VV's better quality releases , Wide and clear english dubbed.

There's probably a good story in there somewere, but the lame fights and dubbing detract. They don't half milk that song, either!

• Like 2

Rodolphe Dux

IT’s basically wuxia but Dragon Swamp and it’s dope. I like the 60’s style the technicolor cinematography is so damn charming.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Catched this Lee Tso-Nam directed Wong Tao actioner for the first time recently. Thanks to @TheKungFuRobber Custom release, via his YouTube channel. Click on the link below, if you are interested in reading my write-up, thank you.

The Kung Fu Robber's Custom DVD cover-artwork.

High Resolution V1 Fatal Needles.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

The Victim

Sammo/Beardy/Chang Yi classic, with great fights and an interesting plot. The new german DVD uses the same print as the UK disc but improves on it by being anamorphically enhanced.Plus you get 70 minutes of trailers as a bonus.

• Like 6

The victim 1980

What a SPLENDID movie !! I didn't expect it to be SO GOOD !!

I definitely love Sammo, his humor, his way of fighting, his speed...eveything related to him !

And he pairs very well with Beardy here !

Beardy's fights are very good !

All the fights are excellent, and particularly the one between Wilson Tong and Beardy ! What a beautiful feet technique on Wilson Tong's side !

And what to say on the furious final fight between the villain Chang Yi and Beardy !! Both using the same technique since they had the same master, but what an EXCELLENT fight ! A superb hands work is shown during this fight...

I think that this movie will be revisited when I'll have time...or when I'll be on retirement !

Spoiler

Does anyone can confirm that it's normal that Sammo speaks English in the very last scene, and, did I misunderstood, or is he still alive, probably using the same stratagem he used to make Chang Yi believe that he had killed Beardy ?

• Like 5

Killer Meteor

Eagle's Killer (1981)

Disapointing John Cheung vs Hwang Jang Lee movie, relying way too much on endless comedy scenes. I swear they only got to 90min by ensuring Cheng Hong-Yip's character stutters...really...slowly. Slightly redeemed by the use of Riz Ortolani's theme for "Brutes and Savages", but otherwise very disposable.

4/10

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

One of my all time favourites, what did you think of the Sammo/Leung Kar-Yan house brawl?.

I loved all what I saw !!

• Like 2