What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

81YB2r33WpL._RI_.jpg

Watched this again last night...can't get enough of the excellent kicking skills of John Liu and Hwang Jung-Lee. Wang Tao lets some nice kicks in (always love seeing his jumping hook kick) but nice handwork too.

• Like 6

Coliseum1972

Amsterdam Connection is cool , I like the conflict between the 2 heroes over the same woman , Bolo and the wonderful locations , Bolos nemesis drug dealer.....dont remember his name & Chen Sing. It is far from a boring movie imo (Mortal Kombat 2 , now THAT was boring !)  , sorry but i feel it deserves more cred

• Like 4

Iron Head Rat
On 5/26/2019 at 8:01 PM, sym8 said:

Broken oath-1977

Its been a while since I last saw this and I still love it,for me it’s Angela maos best movie(haven’t seen them all though),great cast and Chan wai man hasn’t moved better.One of the Great Golden Harvest titles.👍👍👍👍

CC08602E-FCC0-4BDE-8581-2350896C3B2D.jpeg

So is there a nice Blu ray of Broken Oath? 

One armed boxer-1972

Directed and starring Wang Yu

Not a big fan of Wang yu but I love this Golden Harvest production.Brutal over the top ridiculous and action packed all at the same time, with a variety of different martial arts styles on display what’s not to like.For me this Is his best effort(haven’t seen them all though)👍👍

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 6/5/2019 at 9:44 PM, sym8 said:

One armed boxer-1972

Not a big fan of Wang yu but I love this Golden Harvest production.Brutal over the top ridiculous and action packed all at the same time, with a variety of different martial arts styles on display what’s not to like.For me this Is his best effort(haven’t seen them all though)👍👍

Rare U.S T.V spot.

• Like 3

Fatal Flying Guillotines

Carter Wong & Chen Sing try their best but despite some decent fights this is overall a confusing and below par genre effort. The german blu ray looks great, i've said it before, it seems the lesser old school kung fu classics are the ones with the best remaining elements. ow if Master Of The Flying Guillotine ever appeared in this quality....

• Like 3

On 6/5/2019 at 5:44 PM, sym8 said:

One armed boxer-1972

@ShaOW!linDude - Are you convinced?

• Like 1

Invincible Armour-1977

Directed by Ng See Yuen

One of John Liu’s best and with a host of co stars(Hwang Jang Lee,Ko fei,Tino Wong,Lee Hoi SAN)and choreography by Yuen Woo Ping you cant go wrong.There are some great fight scenes throughout and everyone is on top form.Not only one of John liu’s best but in my opinion one ot the great all round Kung fu flicks from the 70’s(The English dub I watched had some great music as well)👍👍

E5148306-82FB-4B4D-92C7-DB8EC9342B1D.jpeg

63E714E6-D467-4777-A043-680151F95DA7.jpeg

• Like 5

ShaOW!linDude
4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

@ShaOW!linDude - Are you convinced?

No, sir. That is one of the few Wang Yu movies I've watched, and I was bored. I just don't get the love for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sym8 said:

Not only one of John liu’s best but in my opinion one ot the great all round Kung fu flicks from the 70’s

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
23 hours ago, saltysam said:

Fatal Flying Guillotines

Carter Wong & Chen Sing try their best but despite some decent fights this is overall a confusing and below par genre effort. The german blu ray looks great, i've said it before, it seems the lesser old school kung fu classics are the ones with the best remaining elements. ow if Master Of The Flying Guillotine ever appeared in this quality....

I quite like this one for nostalgia. Did the German version restore the footage from the original cut, and in good quality, that was missing on the Vengeance Video release?

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE TIGER JUMP nice basher with lots of action and predictable plot including some annoyingly stupid details. But I don't want to complain, I didn't watch it for the plot. 

SHAOLIN KUNG FU MYSTAGOGUE Chang Yi is so wonderfully shady, and kind of creepy when he approaches, seemingly floating, with his spinning blade thingies. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

SHAOLIN KUNG FU MYSTAGOGUE Chang Yi is so wonderfully shady, and kind of creepy when he approaches, seemingly floating, with his spinning blade thingies. 

Just got the Vengeance Video DVD of this today, will be giviving it a spin in the next few days.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE FATE OF LEE KHAN   I have not seen this for a long time, and really enjoyed it. The visual beauty of King Hu movies, great cast, lots of action, nice plot. I love movies set in ancient Chinese inns. Plus a great role for Hu Chin. Hope I can upgrade to bluray one day. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
Just saw in another thread that bluray release has been announced. Joy.
  • Like 3

Descendants Of Wing Chun

Despite featuring some genre stalwarts including Norman Chu ,Melvin Wong & Hark-On-Fung this is a fairly run of the mill flick which doesn't feature much,if any wing chun at all. On the plus side the Vengeance Video release is one of their better efforts ,widescreen and fairly clear print.

Shaolin Mystagogue

Another film with a cast of regulars, Carter Wong,Hsu Feng, Chang Yi,Lung Fei & briefly Phillip Ko. Standard Ching vs Ming story with shaolin temple hijinks thrown in for good measure. Not bad but with the cast involved it should have been better. VV DVD is ok, not full wide but better than P&S.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

There was a German DVD of Shaolin Mystagogue. It was a cut 2.35:1 print with inserts from another source which was about 2.00:1.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

There was a German DVD of Shaolin Mystagogue. It was a cut 2.35:1 print with inserts from another source which was about 2.00:1.

is it still available & english friendly?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

It had the English dub, yes. Don't know if it's still avaliable.

looks like it can still be had for around £22 on Ebay, a bit much for a film i didn't mind but didn't love.If i see it below £15 i will reconsider

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

THE FATE OF LEE KHAN   I have not seen this for a long time, and really enjoyed it. The visual beauty of King Hu movies, great cast, lots of action, nice plot. I love movies set in ancient Chinese inns. Plus a great role for Hu Chin. Hope I can upgrade to bluray one day. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fate-Lee-Khan-Blu-ray/dp/B07SN8RNXF/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fate+of+lee+khan&qid=1560767564&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

Haven`t seen movie but trailer looks fine. Cover art too...

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 4

Return Of The Chinese Boxer

A Jimmy Wang Yu flick without enough Jimmy Wang Yu in it! He only appears sporadically throughout until the climax. The confusing plot about japanese invading China takes a back seat to the outlandish ideas on display, kung fu zombies, a gun slinging Lung Fei as Black Crane, Kam Kong, thai boxers .Many scenes are lifted from the classic Master Of The Flying Guillotine. The german english dubbed blu ray looks great ,again an example of the lesser titles being the best restored.

• Like 5

Hmm...

1- "Drunken Master" (Starring Jackie Chan: 1978) Awesome movie and still one of my favorite Jackie Chan films( Police Story(1985) being my favorite). 

• Like 4

Secret Executioner

Revisited Born Invincible (Taiwan, 1978) last night. Man, that movie is awesome.

Love Carter Wong as an invincible baddie - his being pretty much invincible, kicking all kinds of ass and having a super high-pitched voice create a very memorable villain, and he teams up with Lo Lieh. Plus, we get a rare occurance of Lung Fei being a good guy, which creates a nice reversal of the usual status quo between him and the likes of Carter Wong.

• Like 3

Coliseum1972

Iron Bull 4/6

Just average fare , no really memorable scenes......Alan Tang wants ro revenge his teacher , Han Ying Chieh as the boss

• Like 4