What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

NoKUNGFUforYU

Clones of Bruce Lee, one of the few movies I just got up and walked out on after 10 minutes. The scene where Yang Sze is the trainer of one of the clones was enough for me. Yang Sze? How is that guy going to teach JKD? He only learned screen fighting, he was not a big martial arts guy. Anyway, my rant is over.

Seven to One

Got about half way through and got bored. Not in the mood, but I would give it another chance, just an old ocean shores pan and scan. Kurata is a sneaky villain rescuing Polly who has a job as a singer in a rock band. Pretty sure I saw this about 45 years ago in Chinatown. Lots of funky clothes and music cribbed, blaring loud for both of them. Polly kicks ass and looks hot, Kurata the same, LOL! I've been watch too much HD stuff, so hard to get into random pan and scan dubs lately. I have to be in the mood.

• Like 3

ShawAngela

Chaochow guy 1972

I got they Eyecatcher dvd and watched it in Mandarin.

WHAT A SUPERB MOVIE !!

It seems to me that I already had watched it years ago in English dvdr format, but I only remembered the scene where Tien Peng and his friend help Nancy Yen's maid against the soldiers.

Non stop action movie worth wtaching. I'll tell more in my review.

• Like 3

Rodolphe Dux

The Master Strikes

Superb movie, Casanova Wong rocks in this comedy in which Ching Siu-Tung is actor and action director. The ending fight is fantastic, what an awesome action directing, impressive.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
4 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Ooh, Sybil Danning...

I should have mentioned the Sybil Danning intro/outro segments, were missing from the version I watched.

Crystal Fist

Billy Chong and Simon Yuen team up in this revenge saga with plenty of decent action. Chong is taught kung fu by the school's cook (Yuen) and heads out for revenge against the three villains (unusually two of the villains, one is blind,the other deaf-normally these disabilities in the kung fu flicks belong to good guys)using his newly mastered eagle claw style.

A Fistfull Of Talons

Billy Chong historical epic with an excellent cast including Wang-in-Sik, Paul Feng,Lee Quin. Good action, the widescreen print only runs 75 minutes though, due to print damage i believe.

• Like 3

I just re-watched Fist of Fury but this time on a 4K blu ray…. it's the first time I actually watched a movie in 4k and the picture is pretty good for a nearly 50 years old film.

I can't tell if it's true 4k or just 1080p upscaled to 4k.

vlcsnap-2019-05-11-17h12m18s696.png

• Like 2

Coliseum1972
On 5/6/2019 at 10:30 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Clones of Bruce Lee, one of the few movies I just got up and walked out on after 10 minutes. The scene where Yang Sze is the trainer of one of the clones was enough for me. Yang Sze? How is that guy going to teach JKD? He only learned screen fighting, he was not a big martial arts guy. Anyway, my rant is over.

Seven to One

Got about half way through and got bored. Not in the mood, but I would give it another chance, just an old ocean shores pan and scan. Kurata is a sneaky villain rescuing Polly who has a job as a singer in a rock band. Pretty sure I saw this about 45 years ago in Chinatown. Lots of funky clothes and music cribbed, blaring loud for both of them. Polly kicks ass and looks hot, Kurata the same, LOL! I've been watch too much HD stuff, so hard to get into random pan and scan dubs lately. I have to be in the mood.

What if Burton made a Clones remake....... it would prolly consentrate more on the horror aspect than kf....... but Id see it 

Seven to one is waste of time 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 5/10/2019 at 9:51 PM, DragonClaws said:

I should have mentioned the Sybil Danning intro/outro segments, were missing from the version I watched.

Was it an Amvest tape? They did a similar horror range with Al "Grampa" Lewis, and it was touch and go if the intros made it onto the tapes!

• Like 2

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Was it an Amvest tape? They did a similar horror range with Al "Grampa" Lewis, and it was touch and go if the intros made it onto the tapes!

This print I watched was up-loaded to YouTube, from a VHS source.

Shaolin invincible sticks-Lee Tso Nam-1979

Wong Tao,Chang Yi and Kam Kong.Not seen this in many years but still loved this not up there with other stick movies(eight diagram,odd couple)but still enjoyable and Wong Tao is always reliable.My only gripe is during the fight scenes they seem to jump forward slightly,don’t know what this type of editing is called but it does detract from there skills some what.Still worth watching if you haven’t already though.👍👍👎👍

• Like 4

Kung Fu Executioner

Billy Chong vehicle has Carl Scott and the great Chen Sing in evil bastard mode. Despite that it's one of Chong's lesser efforts ,in fact Scott impresses more here. German DVD is a VHS port cropped to 1:78:1. Not worth the £19.99 i paid.

• Like 5

Born Invincible

Lung Fei as a goodie! Carter Wong as the baddie! Lo Lieh as a baddie but not the white haired,white eyebrowed one-that's Carter.! Excellent kung fu film full of inventive fights . The english dubbing is unintentionally hilarious, this film would be better served with original language with subs. Needs a proper widescreen release as well-the youtube version i watched was clearly fake widescreen sadly.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2019 at 3:26 PM, saltysam said:

Kung Fu Executioner

Billy Chong vehicle has Carl Scott and the great Chen Sing in evil bastard mode. Despite that it's one of Chong's lesser efforts ,in fact Scott impresses more here. German DVD is a VHS port cropped to 1:78:1. Not worth the £19.99 i paid.

Thanks for the info re: the DVD quality

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
5 hours ago, saltysam said:

Born Invincible

Lung Fei as a goodie! Carter Wong as the baddie! Lo Lieh as a baddie but not the white haired,white eyebrowed one-that's Carter.! Excellent kung fu film full of inventive fights . The english dubbing is unintentionally hilarious, this film would be better served with original language with subs. Needs a proper widescreen release as well-the youtube version i watched was clearly fake widescreen sadly.

Back in the 90s, a lot of Joseph Kuo's films got widescreen DVDs from Mei Ah, but this wasn't one of them.

• Like 2

Invincible Super Chan

This film is so simultaneously bad & mad it's best just to kick back and let the craziness wash all over you. Chan is a fighter with a magical sword, he can leap over mountains and take on 500 men at once-but all he really wants to do is settle down with his wife and spend his time fishing. Challenge after challenge comes so there's no peace for super chan. Amazingly entertaining and quite jaw dropping-possibly the worst editing i've ever seen. The print on youtube is wide and quite good, i assume off a german DVD that seems to be OOP.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Invincible Super Chan

This film is so simultaneously bad & mad it's best just to kick back and let the craziness wash all over you. Chan is a fighter with a magical sword, he can leap over mountains and take on 500 men at once-but all he really wants to do is settle down with his wife and spend his time fishing. Challenge after challenge comes so there's no peace for super chan. Amazingly entertaining and quite jaw dropping-possibly the worst editing i've ever seen. The print on youtube is wide and quite good, i assume off a german DVD that seems to be OOP.

This for me is the worse Kung fu movie I have ever seen(and I use the words Kung fu movie very loosely).The inter ocean video I watched it on brings back great memories of some classics though.

65C0C109-8580-4B64-BDB6-26A6F15CDEC4.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sym8 said:

This for me is the worse Kung fu movie I have ever seen(and I use the words Kung fu movie very loosely).The inter ocean video I watched it on brings back great memories of some classics though.

65C0C109-8580-4B64-BDB6-26A6F15CDEC4.jpeg

you need to watch General Stone 😋

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Well I’ve just watched the beginning on YouTube (Wu tang collection)decent print and I didn’t realise Tan Tao Liang was so strong,may give it a go just to see how it pans out but this looks like it’s up there with Super Chan 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
22 hours ago, saltysam said:

22 hours ago, sym8 said:

Well I’ve just watched the beginning on YouTube (Wu tang collection)decent print and I didn’t realise Tan Tao Liang was so strong,may give it a go just to see how it pans out but this looks like it’s up there with Super Chan 

I bet General Stone and Super Chan are both more enjoyable than Tiger Love.

• Like 2

Super Chan is awesome-but then i love bad movies as long as they aren't boring ,which General Stone is 😁

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

Shaolin vs Lama (HK, 1983) (YouTube)

Still a goddamn awesome movie. So many classic lines, so much neat action. Love it.

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 4

The Hot,The Cool & The Vicious

A Perennial favourite of mine since i first saw it an all night kung fu cinema show back in the day, this kung fu classic has the awesome Tommy Lee as the iconic white faced,golden haired baddie who walks with a limp but has incredible skills.Tan Tao Liang & Don Wong Tao are great as the good guys in this tale of revenge,corruption and betrayal in Black Stone town. This also has the same music theme as another classic, Fists Of The Double K. !Now the version i've just watched is KungFuRobbers custom- the good- awesome print in 2:35:1 anamorphic (i didn't even know a proper scope print existed of this one) audio options in mandarin and english, dual layered disc, extra features. A great package. Now the bad - The subs are excellent, unfortunately there's a big timing issue in which the last spoken subs stay on screen until there's more dialogue.For example the last spoken dialogue subs stay on screen throughout the two on one climax, so about 4 minutes in total. This happens throughout the movie- i'm not sure if this would be an artistic choice or the timing is way off- anyway it'll lead me to probably watch this in english dub next time around.

• Like 4