What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

To Kill With Intrigue- Weird plot that I couldnt really follow. Stars Jackie Chan in what is part drama with kung fu thrown in. Some nice looking shots. I actually really like Lo Wei (need to go through more of his films). The fights between the woman against Chan I found very dull and uninteresting. There some is some redeeming fights though, particulary the one where the three guys in red break into Jackies room and start swinging swords at him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, whitesnake said:

The link to ShaOW!linDude's new novel doesn't work for me. 

Sorry, this got messed up.  I was referring to the link about ShaOW!linDude's new novel, and it doesn't seem to work.  That link was http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18673

Edited 12 hours ago by whitesnake

It doesn't work for me either.

Got me an old school fix, in the form of this rarely talked about flick, Wild Tiger(1973). Those Kung Fu Fandom followers/contributor's, who are interested in my new ramblings, please click on the link below, thank you.

WildTiger+1973-10-b.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Layout is the subject of latest ramblings, featuring more Taiwanese filmed brawls, with Chen Kuen-Tai on the well worn path of revenge.

Click on the link below, for my complete thoughts on this one, THANK-YOU

Chen Kuen Tai fights the odds as Hsueh Ao-Lin, in Layout.

MV5BMTM1ZmExNGEtMmM3Mi00MTdlLThlMDItNzJm

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Ninja Hunter aka Wu Tang vs Ninja - I’d honestly forgotten about this one and, by chance, stumbled across it on Prime Video. Pure ninja madness! Great cast too: Chen Shan, Jack Long, Mark Long, Alexander Lo Rei. It’s massively entertaining even if the fights are a little zany in places. To be honest, I love the wire work in this one. Great dub track too: “Shut up, egg head!”

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Ninja Hunter aka Wu Tang vs Ninja - I’d honestly forgotten about this one and, by chance, stumbled across it on Prime Video. Pure ninja madness! Great cast too: Chen Shan, Jack Long, Mark Long, Alexander Lo Rei. It’s massively entertaining even if the fights are a little zany in places. To be honest, I love the wire work in this one. Great dub track too: “Shut up, egg head!”

Jack Long really steals this film, one of all time great super villian performances, from the od school era.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Jack Long really steals this film, one of all time great super villian performances, from the od school era.

I honestly feel like Jack Long doesn't get enough praise. The guy was a shapes master.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I honestly feel like Jack Long doesn't get enough praise. The guy was a shapes master.

Agreed, he's aways great, no matter what role they gave him, but he's one of the all time great screen bad guy's. He even steals the show in 36 Deadly Styles, playing an old Master, and its just an extended cameo really.

• Like 2

I watched Killer from above yesterday, the subbed version from our friend NoKungFuForYou, for the first time.

What a superb movie !!

Lo Lieh is excellent here, playing what everybody thinks to be a bad guy, but who is actually seeking revenge for his murdered master.

Wang Ping and Chang Yi are there too for a short role.

The fights are excellent, worth watching.

• Like 4

I also watched A monk's fight yesterday for the first time.

And once again, what a superb movie, though I found it a little bit slow from time to time.

I took a look to the cast on hkmdb and saw that the hero is played by Lee Wing, who was also the action director of the movie. NO wonder that the fights were very good, but what a shame that he played in only this movie. He perfectly impersonates the dark solitary hero in my opinion and he should have had more roles in martial arts movies.

My only complaint regarding this movie is that Pearl Chang Ling is furiously underused in this movie !

• Like 4

On 10/17/2018 at 1:18 PM, DragonClaws said:

Isn't this the film where they make the villain shoot himself to death with his own chi blasts, which must be a first (and only) for the genre?

• Like 3

Got through this fightacular film recently, you can access my full length review, by clicking the same old link below, Thank You.

Tong Lung.

WayoftheTiger+1973-2-b.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Roaring Lion (1972) Cliff Lok, Sek Kien, Pai Ying, Eddy Ko, Lee Wing,

Basically a sister film to the Big Boss, Cliff and his buddies go from being exploited in HK to being exploited in Thailand. Shit like this still goes on so that the people like the ones in Crazy Rich Asians can fly out to an island to drink a beer while the chopper pilot sits and waits for hours. Oh, an name drop expensive brands. A flick like this shows the price of all that.

Fights are all a little sloppy, (wild and lively!) but if you look closely, he does some Hsing Yi and Pa Kua as well as the standard southern styles in the movie. Very rare to see the internal styles in these movies, which are usually karate, tae kwon do, or basic southern fists.

Subs were all off, so I had to retime them, and they were done by Toby Russell, so hilariously vulgar! Anyway, shameless plug, part of my Basher special this month.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

BLOODY MASK, enjoyable old swordsplay.

Spoiler

I was amazed to find the "bloody mask" was in fact a  leather sack working like a flying guillotine.

It was a bit unfortunate that the script forced heroic Tin Ming to lose the important letter TWICE 🙄. But all's well that ends well.

• Like 3

On 10/29/2018 at 11:33 PM, DrNgor said:

Isn't this the film where they make the villain shoot himself to death with his own chi blasts, which must be a first (and only) for the genre?

The very same, it ight just be the only time it happens in the genre. Jack Long was chasing the chi, 24hrs a day, in this one.

• Like 1

Just watched Thundering Mantis for (somehow) the first time.  This movie really takes a wild turn at the end!  Highlight for me was the fight between Chin Yuet Sang and Eddy Ko.

• Like 3

I just watched Legendary strike for the third time.

What a superb movie ! I think that even if I watched it 10 or 20 times again, I would never be bored to watch it !

The first time I watched it, it was in French language on VHS : no song at the end and the plot had seemed a little bit dull for me : it was just a lot of people being after a pearl...

Years later, I found it on dvd format, still in French, and I enjoyed it again, but still no ending song, nor a clearer plot.

This time, I watched the Mandarin language with English subtitles put out by NoKungFuForYou, and now, not only I enjoyed it even more than before, but also the plot has become clear like crystal water for me !! And I even discovered some scenes that I didn't remember at all, together with the superb song in the middle and at the end of the movie, a patriotic song about the Ming patriots struggling against the Qings.

Taking a look at the cast on hkmdb, I read the review of our friend Gaijin84 there and discovered that there are two versions of the movie : one running on 70mn while the other one (the same I just watched) runs for 83mn. That's surely why I had never seen some scenes and never heard the song.

I hate when heroes die at the end of the movie, but at least one of them is still alive at the end. The fights are good, and the plot is excellent.

Another excellent thin is the music, composed by the great Joseph Koo, who is the composer of many theme songs for the TVB series, so, no wonder that I have always loved this movie's music (without knowing that he was the composer, I only discovered that today !), and, as I said, the song is excellent and poignant. I don't know who is the singer...And the beginning theme reminds me of the one of Blooded Treasury fight.

I also discovered that this movie is adapted from Gu Long's work ; I wonder from which book it has been adapted.

And that's a coincidence that the pearl that everybody is after is the same Dharma relic as the one in the movie A monk's fight !

• Like 4

Bolo The Brute

First time viewing of this strange kung fu comedy directed by Bolo himself, here he plays a prisoner who, alongside Jason Pai Paio are selected to become the new Sheriff and deputy of a small town which they find to be run by a bunch of notorious gangsters. Bolo looks different here, with a perm and a beard and i don't think the comedy translated very well in the english dub. (i watched Kuenfist's custom, which has chinese audio option but no subs sadly) a number of well known genre actors are here in supporting roles but the whole endeavour seems odd at times (Bolo's romance with a 7ft stick woman played to the strains of When a Child Is Born by Johnny Mathis) and for some reason the  climactic battle sees Bolo wearing a nappy 😦

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, saltysam said:

(i watched Kuenfist's custom, which has chinese audio option but no subs sadly)

What's the aspect ratio like on this custom @saltysam?, full-screen or wide?.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

What's the aspect ratio like on this custom @saltysam?, full-screen or wide?.

It's cropped widescreen, well it's anamorphic and filled my screen. Oddly the credits are in full widescreen and the quality is better. This is certainly a decent watchable custom but hopefully a better source will appear one day.here's kuenfists description

Hello friends of the fu. Today i bring you my new custom DVD of the great Kung Fu comedy "Bolo". 14 days ago machetebob send me the source DVD what FLK used for their fucked up Bootleg. The FLK version had many errors like ghosting , interlace stripes cause of wrong convertion from PAL to NTSC. The picture was totally blurred and the audiotrack was not in sync....  
As i started to remaster the picture i realized that this was a cam job to VHS and than copied from VHS to VHS. A lot of jitter where in the picture. First i did my routine with my Avisynth + to kill most of the jitters. Than i fixed the color, brigthness and contrast a little. On the way to dub this in english i saw it is " CUT " !!! So 9 inserts from the US DVD + the start credits ( squeezed 2.35:1) where taken to make it uncut !!! I converted the inserts careful to PAL.
The Dub was hard work despite the convert the english track from NTSC to PAL i had to make over 200 corrections to get the english track in sync.

So now i hope you enjoy my work (1 week ). Sorry i did my best to make this watchable on big screens( was very difficult) and i hope maybe in the future a company will make a official widescreen uncut release of this crazy kung fu comedy classic directed by the one and only Bolo !!!! But till than we have here a watchable version without ghosting interlace errors. And it is now anamophic for yours big LED TV's.
And it is uncut 4 minutes longer than the chinses version and 3 minutes than the US retail. In 3 scenes there is cantonese dialog ... sorry i do not spek chinese so no subs for this parts but you understand what is going on ....

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

The VALIANT ONES 1975 King Hu

Not his greatest film, but in a different level than most of the genre at the time. Build up and characters make the fights more involving and Pai Ying, Roy Chiao and everyone else are really well directed. I would have to say a must see if you have seen all the Shaw brothers, GH and Union films. Starts a little slow, so be patient.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, saltysam said:

Hello friends of the fu. Today i bring you my new custom DVD of the great Kung Fu comedy "Bolo". 14 days ago machetebob send me the source DVD what FLK used for their fucked up Bootleg. The FLK version had many errors like ghosting , interlace stripes cause of wrong convertion from PAL to NTSC. The picture was totally blurred and the audiotrack was not in sync....  
As i started to remaster the picture i realized that this was a cam job to VHS and than copied from VHS to VHS. A lot of jitter where in the picture. First i did my routine with my Avisynth + to kill most of the jitters. Than i fixed the color, brigthness and contrast a little. On the way to dub this in english i saw it is " CUT " !!! So 9 inserts from the US DVD + the start credits ( squeezed 2.35:1) where taken to make it uncut !!! I converted the inserts careful to PAL.
The Dub was hard work despite the convert the english track from NTSC to PAL i had to make over 200 corrections to get the english track in sync.

Thanks for posting furhter info in regarding the custom fan release @saltysam.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

BRONZE HEAD STEEL ARM 1972 Tien Peng, Kong Ban

My friend Christian did an awesome job customizing an uncut print from 3 sources to make the complete print, then subbing the 3 different languages. It's not 1080p, but it's widescreen for the most part and the subtitles are awesome. The action is frantic and the plot ridiculous, but funny in some parts. Just a really awesome custom! Peng made some really good bashers before he switched back to swordplay, and this is a great addition! Kong Ban is funny as a wise guy leech with with a heart of gold (he never, ever passes up free grub) while Peng smulders like Clint Eastwood. Lisa Chao Chao is the woman with two hearts (you'd have to see it to understand) and Huang Chin-Hsin is the main villain, and a real dirtbag at that. Yu Tien Lung directed the fights, so you know they are wild!

• Like 4