What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Have you seen the Tournament? There is a really good copy on Youtube, with subs, etc. Great flick. If you can find it, watch Skyhawk with Carter Wong and Sammo.

I haven't seen either of those films. I'll take a look. Thanks for the recommendations.

• Like 1

Other than "Dance of Death" I'd never seen an Angela Mao film and, having just watched "Broken Path," I'm kicking myself. Mostly because all her classics seem to be out of print right now.

I loved it! The plot wasn't much but the characters and action were fantastic. Not quite shapes, not quite a basher. Yo-yos, scorpions, swords, Sammo Hung, a non-annoying Dean Shek and Lam Ching Ying popping up an extra. I'm really surprised by how good this was.

my memory is a little hazy but I remember liking The Tournament. Following some recommendations I picked up The Himalayan and Lady Whirlwind, which I still haven't seen.

BTW did you mean Broken Oath?

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=558

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just so I am clear, you have seen Hap Ki Do/Lady Kung Fu, right? If not, that needs to be on your list, it is on Youtube, but it is better if you can get a copy. Mao, Carter Wong, Sammo Hung, Pai Ying and one of the few movies where Whang In Sik is the hero, you have to see it. It still holds up. Great double feature with Fist of Fury. that is how it was rolled out to the theaters in the US back in 73.

• Like 1

Just so I am clear, you have seen Hap Ki Do/Lady Kung Fu, right? If not, that needs to be on your list, it is on Youtube, but it is better if you can get a copy. Mao, Carter Wong, Sammo Hung, Pai Ying and one of the few movies where Whang In Sik is the hero, you have to see it. It still holds up. Great double feature with Fist of Fury. that is how it was rolled out to the theaters in the US back in 73.

I haven't seen it, no. I know it's blasphemous but I just never got around to it. I don't watch movies on You Tube so I'm going to see if I can get a copy. Ideally the Hong Kong Legends disk but that's going for a fortune on Amazon.co.uk.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it, no. I know it's blasphemous but I just never got around to it. I don't watch movies on You Tube so I'm going to see if I can get a copy. Ideally the Hong Kong Legends disk but that's going for a fortune on Amazon.co.uk.

You could always try and get one of the Australian HKL disks, assuming they're still knocking about.

edit: I just found this on eBay…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hapkido-NEW-DVD-Jackie-Chan-Corey-Yuen-/290991460847?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item43c07151ef

• Like 1

You could always try and get one of the Australian HKL disks, assuming they're still knocking about.

edit: I just found this on eBay…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hapkido-NEW-DVD-Jackie-Chan-Corey-Yuen-/290991460847?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item43c07151ef

Nice find! I really appreciate that. I may to sign up to eBay just to place a bid!

ShaOW!linDude
Other than "Dance of Death" I'd never seen an Angela Mao film and, having just watched "Broken Path," I'm kicking myself. Mostly because all her classics seem to be out of print right now.

Dude, you've got to hunt down HAPKIDO aka LADY KUNG FU which also stars Sammo Hung & Carter Wong!

http://www.amazon.com/Hapkido-AKA-Lady-Kung-Fu/dp/B000W641W0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1385160789&sr=1-1&keywords=lady+kung+fu

• Like 1

I just got through "The Cheeky Champ." Meh...I don't recommend it. The fights are solid but everything in between is pretty tedious and the plot is all over the place.

It was nice to see Wai Pak carry a film; it's just a shame it's not nearly the caliber of others films he's been in. Certainly worth watching once but I won't be revisiting this one any time soon.

• Like 1

Lady Whirlwind – After enjoying The Tournament I thought I would give this a go. Unfortunately it's not in the same league in my honest opinion. It was okay but didn't really enthrall me on any level especially the fight sequences. Was great to see Sammo in another of her films but overall I doubt I'll ever watch this again.

I just got through "The Cheeky Champ." Meh...I don't recommend it. The fights are solid but everything in between is pretty tedious and the plot is all over the place.

It was nice to see Wai Pak carry a film; it's just a shame it's not nearly the caliber of others films he's been in. Certainly worth watching once but I won't be revisiting this one any time soon.

Thanks I think I'll leave it in that case.

• Like 1

7 Commandments of Kung Fu - Average Lee Yi Min movie, training scenes and fights were okay but nothing special. It's unlikely that I'd ever watch it again.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

A Gathering of Heroes 1973 Chen Sing, Polly Kuan, Kurata.

the copy I got has poor sound, but the film still works. The scenes shot in the sets rival shaw brothers movies, and the camera work is good. Polly Kuan really kicks ass through out this one. Chen Sing is hampered by the boots and uniform, but Kurata delivers the goods as as well. Love to see a mandarin english subbed copy with good sound, but this will have to do.

Also, Tough Duel with Tien Peng 1972. This one is a good as well, Mandarin with English Subs, from Bigrogie. Really enjoyed it. I have a sentimental attachment, as this is one of the first I saw in 9th or 10th grade when I would venture over from Berkeley to SF Chinatown. I stood out like a sore thumb, and it was always a little creepy. I think I went to see it twice, dragging my friend with me! Worth getting on Ioffer, especially since Peng did not do a whole lot of bashers, and I think this is one of the best he did.

• Like 1

A Gathering of Heroes 1973 Chen Sing, Polly Kuan, Kurata.

the copy I got has poor sound, but the film still works. The scenes shot in the sets rival shaw brothers movies, and the camera work is good. Polly Kuan really kicks ass through out this one. Chen Sing is hampered by the boots and uniform, but Kurata delivers the goods as as well. Love to see a mandarin english subbed copy with good sound, but this will have to do.

I didn't really like this movie. The Polly and Kurata fights were as good as one could hope for, but it really petered out at the end. The finale was nothing but Eddie Ko stabbing a guy to death and getting shot. Meh.

• Like 1

"Adventure in Dk" , it grows on me upon further viewings......I like the moral of the story (the main character cheats on his gf then he gets the taste of his own medicine when the Danish girl cheats on him)

• Like 1

I just got through "The Tournament" and, yet again, I realise just how big of an Angela Mao fan I am.

I thought some of the in ring fights were a little too long but everything else was great. I haven't found myself enjoying Carter Wong that much since...well, ever.

• Like 1

Return of Chinese Boxer 4.5/6

The sound effects are a bit OTT , so are the zombies ;)

This movie's brilliantly stupid. Deserves more of a following.

Last one I saw is World of Drunken Master. Kuo's quickly climbed to the top of my favorite directors in the genre. It's got a great cheesy mythical ambience, the flaws only make it more charming.

• Like 1