What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Rodolphe Dux
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

No...he's better.

Amen++

Jackie Chan is an awesome stuntman and acrobat but regarding martial arts Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao are far more talented and way more « orthodox » in a way. I mean just look at the odd couple Sammo rocks with a dao1...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

Jackie Chan is an awesome stuntman and acrobat but regarding martial arts Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao are far more talented and way more « orthodox » in a way.

Chan has said a number of times, that Yeun Biao, was the singl best natural acrobat he had scene. He was nautral at the Peking Opera, mastering moves quickly. that took others more time to learn. I rate all three the same, each has unique quality's the others don't. Anyone who survived their time at the Peking  Opera School, gets equal respect in my opnion. Even if some can kicker highr or hit faster, or risk their neck with crazy big stunt set pieces.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

Jackie Chan is an awesome stuntman and acrobat but regarding martial arts Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao are far more talented and way more « orthodox » in a way.

Chan has said a number of times, that Yeun Biao, was the single best natural acrobat he had known. He was natural at the Peking Opera, mastering moves quickly. that took other veteran stdents, more time to learn. I rate all three the same, each has unique quality's, the others don't. Anyone who survived their time at the Peking  Opera School, gets equal respect in my opnion. Even if some can kicker highr or hit faster, or risk their neck with crazy big stunt set pieces.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Rodolphe Dux
15 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Chan has said a number of times, that Yeun Biao, was the single best natural acrobat he had known. He was natural at the Peking Opera, mastering moves quickly. that took other veteran stdents, more time to learn. I rate all three the same, each has unique quality's, the others don't. Anyone who survived their time at the Peking  Opera School, gets equal respect in my opnion. Even if some can kicker highr or hit faster, or risk their neck with crazy big stunt set pieces.

For sure. The interesting thing is they all took different paths, Chan took the stunt way, which is as cool as Sammo and Yuen Biao’s ways. But when I watch knockabout, Dreadnought or even Warriors two I can’t help’to think that Sammo and Yuen Biao did some more traditional kung fu flicks, even as a director, some of the best traditional martial arts scenes ever filmed. But Chan revolutionized stunts. Well no one is really a better artist than others but I must confess as a kung fu fan that I enjoy Sammo and Biao’s work even more :)

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

But when I watch knockabout, Dreadnought or even Warriors two I can’t help’to think that Sammo and Yuen Biao did some more traditional kung fu flicks,

Sammo did more traditional Kung Fu flicks, than Chan and Biao combined probably?, then theres the porductions where he was just the choreographer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

By the way I watched The Woman avenger by Lee Tso Nam. Great movie, Ha Kwong-li’s skills are impressive.

Director Lee Tso-Nam's twentieth movie in the director’s chair, packs the kind of punch you would expect from the man behind, Shaolin VS Lama, Edge Of Fury and Eagles Claw. This independent production, might not reach the heights of those movies, yet it remains a strong addition to the director and stars filmographies. Starring the very talented Ha Kwong-Li, a high kicking fearless fighting female on a mission. In her fifth movie role, she plays Lo Ling-Chi, a widowed woman who is saved by a lady monk. Kwong-Li was discovered by director Lee Tso Nam according to the HKMDB, like many Asian performers of the era, she was the product of being placed in a tough Opera School, from a young age. Lee Tso-Nam’s movie Shaolin Invincible Sticks, and Tsui Harks The Butterfly Murders. Are just two movies she worked on, pre to her role here. (Review Sample)

Strong little indie flick from 1980, if you are interested, you can read my full length thoughts on this title, by clicking on the link below, thanks.

• Like 2

Rodolphe Dux
2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Sammo did more traditional Kung Fu flicks, than Chan and Biao combined probably?, then theres the porductions where he was just the choreographer.

You’re right, his filmography, regarding traditional kung fu flicks is really impressive. Regarding Yuen Biao I feel that there are many movies that deserves more light even his debut as director, Dreadnought os a personal favorite. That being said, regarding Chan drunken master and snake in eagle’s shadow or even fearless hyena are awesome pieces of traditional flicks.

• Like 3

Rodolphe Dux
3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Strong little indie flick from 1980, if you are interested, you can read my full length thoughts on this title, by clicking on the link below, thanks.

Cool thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed that flick, I’m in the woman in Kung Fu period :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

That being said, regarding Chan drunken master and snake in eagle’s shadow or even fearless hyena are awesome pieces of traditional flicks.

Those titles just get discussed more, but it doesnt mean there any better than Yuen Biaps films from the same era. To be honest, I've watched less of hi work, compared to his two peers, Sammo and Jackie. Thtas not due avoiding his movies, but finding them harder to get. There's a few I missed that HKL put out year's ago. Finger crossed, we might see some of his stuff turn up on Blu-Ray.

• Like 2

Rodolphe Dux
15 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Those titles just get discussed more, but it doesnt mean there any better than Yuen Biaps films from the same era. To be honest, I've watched less of hi work, compared to his two peers, Sammo and Jackie. Thtas not due avoiding his movies, but finding them harder to get. There's a few I missed that HKL put out year's ago. Finger crossed, we might see some of his stuff turn up on Blu-Ray.

Sure, let’s hope that we’ll get some more Yuen Biao soon. The « rigthing wrongs » blu is very good, the remaster of dreadnought has been made by fortune star but no one put it on blu as far as I know. There’s a chance that the movie and others will land on a streaming platform like they did for sammo’s pedicab driver and the warner archives things now sold to filmstruck.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I still can't find how to tag someone on the forum...

This has nothing to do with this thread, but I'm curious about your avatar Rodolphe Dux : who is the actress, please, and from which movie comes this picture ?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Death Duel of Mantis (1978)

Unremarkable but fun Taiwanese flick, with some decent fights and a good performance from Lung Fei as the villian. Nothing really makes it stand out from the crowd, but you could do a lot worse

6/10

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

No...he's better.

LOL. Samo IS great. I'm not denying that.

Edited by chazgower01

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Nice reviews, chazgower01 !

And welcome to the forum !

Reading your review on Dragon fist, I discovered some things I wasn't aware of regarding Lo Wei. Where did you get them ?

Mainly from Jackie's book 'I Am Jackie Chan which I'm currently re-reading as I'm rewatching all of his movies in order and the rest from researchers who've talked about some of these things for years.

• Like 3

Young Master (1980, Hong Kong) Amazon Prime Dubbed 3.5/5 
Jackie's first foray into complete control of his own movie (for his Golden Harvest debut) is a bit uneven and from what I understand, had to be cut down considerably to become an hour and 45 minute film. Despite that, there are plenty of memorable scenes here and excellent Kung Fu throughout.
Seeing Yuen Biao in his first real film role (with Jackie anyway...and sparring with Jackie!) is great - the lion dance competition at the beginning - Jackie's 'shower' scene and subsequent battle with sword wielding Sek Kin and then his daughter Lily Li - the wide angle mostly stationary shot finale vs Whang In-Sik (one of his best!)  - and more. Plenty more.
It only did a little over HK $1 Million at the box office, but the potential that's seen here is just unlimited (had there ever been anything like the skirt fight?) and of course we all know that potential came to full bloom.
There's drama, comedy, action, and great fights. It even had a proper ending! I know we'll never see it but, I'd watch a three hour uncut version of this if it existed!
Under rated.

image.png

Edited by chazgower01
  • Like 4

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, chazgower01 said:

Young Master (1980, Hong Kong) Amazon Prime Dubbed 3.5/5 

Seeing Yuen Biao in his first real film role...

Didn't Knockabout get released a year before The Young Master? I think that was his first major film role.

Good review. I think The Young Master might be my favourite kung fu film of all time. For me it's a perfect balance of comedy and action.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Didn't Knockabout get released a year before The Young Master? I think that was his first major film role.

Good review. I think The Young Master might be my favourite kung fu film of all time. For me it's a perfect balance of comedy and action.

You're right - Knockabout was early April 1979 and Young Master was early February 1980... though that means that even Magnificant Butcher (Dec. 1979) was before Young Master and if I remember correctly, he had a bigger part in that than Knockabout. 

I'll have to change that to - 'his first real film role with Jackie'!

• Like 2

Dragon Lord (1982, Hong Kong) DVD 2.5/5 
After Lo Wei, the triads, and an uncomfortable and disappointing year plus in America, it's no wonder Jackie came back and put together an uneven and somewhat critically disappointing film. Despite all of that, Chinese audiences flocked to it and made it Jackie's biggest in-country hit yet at HK $17 Million!
If you're looking for Kung Fu, you may as well just fast forward to the finale (actually to about the one hour mark), seriously, which is a great deal why this movie isn't as popular with most Jackie fans (and martial arts fans in general). But if you can overlook that, there are some interesting and sometimes cool things to this movie, that makes it not as bad as some might see it.
For one thing, it's kinda strange to see Mars as a real co-star - this is his movie almost as much as Jackie's and they explore the friendship of the two main characters throughout. And his part in the finale fight? Wow - he can take a beating!
Some of the stunts come off as more dangerous than usual - maybe because they're closer to the ground, I don't know - but watching Jackie climb a building via rope and then goof around along the edge's, before having spears thrust through the shingles at him, before falling and hanging from the edge... and the stuff he does in the finale - man, HE can sure take a beating.
Also, Jackie explore's romance a little more than usual at the beginning of the movie as him and Mars try and woo the same girl (Suet Lee) - and it revisits the theme throughout - it's a bit different than what we're used to for one of his movies...
The humor seems more natural too and even though it's still a bit goofy, it's not ALL about the comedy. It has it's place.
And sports! We see Jackie playing sports - some type of Australian rules football/rugby and then shuttlecock... never expected that. 
For the fights we DO see - they are fast and furious and better timed than ever. Jackie and crew have their moves down near perfect. And Whang In-Shik, again as the bad guy is really explosive. We wait a long time to see it, but when the finale comes, they let loose. There's no more 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 in these fights - it's 1,2,3,4 - quick and more realistic looking. Jackie truly is perfecting his craft here. 
If the stories about the endless hours and crazy retakes is true, Jackie wanted it to obviously be as perfect as possible. If it sounds like I'm defending this movie, well, I guess I am a little bit... it's not all that great of a movie, but it IS seeing the work of an artist just before he creates a masterpiece... which is kinda cool in it's own way.

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chazgower01 said:

After Lo Wei, the triads, and an uncomfortable and disappointing year plus in America, it's no wonder Jackie came back and put together an uneven and somewhat critically disappointing film. Despite all of that, Chinese audiences flocked to it and made it Jackie's biggest in-country hit yet at HK $17 Million!
If you're looking for Kung Fu, you may as well just fast forward to the finale (actually to about the one hour mark), seriously, which is a great deal why this movie isn't as popular with most Jackie fans (and martial arts fans in general). But if you can overlook that, there are some interesting and sometimes cool things to this movie, that makes it not as bad as some might see it.

Always had a soft spot for this movie, its a mess,but an entertiaing one at that. Love the epic finale of The Young Master, but thre finale in Dragon Lord has the edge. It's a strong mix of Chan 70's action approach, mixed in with the style that would take him and his career, to the next level.

• Like 3

This week I watched:

Dirty Kung Fu: pretty good one with good print, a bounty hunter is chasing bad guys for money with a bit of humour thrown in.

Mantis Combat: this one was slow and quite boring I guess, only 2 fights in the whole film, the print was also very dark.

Eagle vs Silver Fox: good one too, hwang jang lee isn't much present in the film but there is some decent fights and the print was great.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2018 at 1:05 PM, chazgower01 said:

For one thing, it's kinda strange to see Mars as a real co-star - this is his movie almost as much as Jackie's and they explore the friendship of the two main characters throughout. And his part in the finale fight? Wow - he can take a beating!
Some of the stunts come off as more dangerous than usual - maybe because they're closer to the ground, I don't know - but watching Jackie climb a building via rope and then goof around along the edge's, before having spears thrust through the shingles at him, before falling and hanging from the edge... and the stuff he does in the finale - man, HE can sure take a beating.
Also, Jackie explore's romance a little more than usual at the beginning of the movie as him and Mars try and woo the same girl (Suet Lee) - and it revisits the theme throughout - it's a bit different than what we're used to for one of his movies...
The humor seems more natural too and even though it's still a bit goofy, it's not ALL about the comedy. It has it's place.
And sports! We see Jackie playing sports - some type of Australian rules football/rugby and then shuttlecock... never expected that. 
For the fights we DO see - they are fast and furious and better timed than ever. Jackie and crew have their moves down near perfect. And Whang In-Shik, again as the bad guy is really explosive. We wait a long time to see it, but when the finale comes, they let loose. There's no more 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 in these fights - it's 1,2,3,4 - quick and more realistic looking. Jackie truly is perfecting his craft here. 
If the stories about the endless hours and crazy retakes is true, Jackie wanted it to obviously be as perfect as possible. If it sounds like I'm defending this movie, well, I guess I am a little bit... it's not all that great of a movie, but it IS seeing the work of an artist just before he creates a masterpiece... which is kinda cool in it's own way.

image.png

image.png

Loved this movie and the fact that Jackie knows very little Kung fu and wins just buy sheer will and heart,great review.👍👍

• Like 3