What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

NoKUNGFUforYU

Watched Insanity Being, remastered, with clean English subs that my friend did. Wild! I kind of get why it was remastered. It fits in with the national narrative, ultra patriotic, anti Japanese. Yu Tien Lung is off the hook in this. Decent flick, beautiful print.

• Like 2

Project A

Looks fantastic as I've come to expect from Hong Kong Rescue. I still think the sequel is better, but this one has a few better stunts and the training sequence always gets a laugh, especially the 2 that have to recite their lines about that lady a thousand times. Ending fight is pretty good, but hey its from the heyday of Jackie Chan!

• Like 4

On 14.6.2017 at 7:20 PM, Tex Killer said:

drunken master. 

Solid release by Eureka, BR was definitely worth buying as did not have any version of this some time ago. Hopefully they deliver dragon fist or snake in the eagles shadow one day.

Got this too and while ecverything is nice the audio commentry is aweful as hell....

• Like 1

Incredible Kung Fu Master (1979) - aka They Call Me Phat Dragon - The local kung fu bully (Lee Hoi-Sang, The Magnificent Butcher) is kicked out of town by a two kung fu brothers, one a master of wing chun (Huang Ha, The Drunken Master) and one who specializes in the five animals (Peter Chan, Encounter with the Spooky Kind). An argument separates them and they open separate, rival schools and stop talking to each other. A few years later, a nobleman (Philip Ko, Tiger Over Wall) shows up with his two sons (Chung Fat of Yes, Madam! and Addy Sung), who each start training at one of the schools. Meanwhile, the local rice delivery boy (critically-acclaimed fight choreographer Stephen Tung Wei) is friends with Huang Ha's daughter (Cecelia Wong of The Deadly Mantis) and Peter Chan's son (Mang Hoi of Hell's Wind Staff) and they help him enter both schools as a student. Come to find out, the nobleman and his "sons" are actually trying to learn the masters' styles to find a weakness in them. The delivery boy is eventually found out and kicked out of both schools, but is taken in by a portly winemaker (Sammo Hung), who teaches him the best of various styles. We then learn that the nobleman is the brother of Lee Hoi-Sang, who himself is on his way back to town for some old-fashioned revenge.

First off, you cannot go wrong with this cast. All that's missing is Lam Ching-Ying (he's behind the camera as one of the fight choreographers) and Lau Kar-Wing to make this one of the quintessential Sammo experience. The second act is mainly based around training, with the heavy hitting coming during the last 30 minutes. The fights are pretty good by late 70s standards. I don't think it quite reaches the heights of the best late 70s films, like Knockabout and Hell's Wind Staff, from that same period, but it's fine. Sammo doesn't get a whole lot of fighting, but he does some solid staff work in a fight against Austin Wai and then uses some mantis against Lee Hoi-San in the finale. Stephen Tung Wei does some crazy acrobatics in his fights. Lee Hoi-San uses a made-up style which appears to be derived from Choy Li Fut, judging by the wide, circular punches. Everyone else is solid. Some solid fights and an interesting training sequence involving walking on oil-covered ground make this worth a view.

• Like 5

Re-posted this old Wu Tang Magic Kick write up of mine, one of a few reviews I havent put back online, after the forum black out 2016.

For those who missed it first time round, please click on the link below, thank you.

jlk71-4E5MP6TGMJT-Full-Image_GalleryBack

• Like 3

Got down to re-watching a Shaw Brothers classic, in the epic The Boxer From Shantung.

Any Kung Fu Fandom Followers/Readers, interested in my long winded ramblings, can click on the useal link below, for the full review, thank you.

il_570xN.728230431_bx1e.jpg

• Like 2

Old School Double Bill, two review's from the 2016 Mutual Reviews Thread, that were sadly lost.

Just click on the links below, for the complete write-up/ramble., thank you.

Lau Ga-Yung, meets his match, in the Crazy Couple.

jlk71-EY0XG3FTBBR-Full-Image_GalleryBack

Ninja playground

97d93208c46d9ac323d6682f905a30bd.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 25/02/2018 at 3:14 PM, DragonClaws said:

Old School Double Bill, two review's from the 2016 Mutual Reviews Thread, that were sadly lost.

Thanks for reposting. I'll comment on them in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Thanks for reposting. I'll comment on them in the next couple of days.

Thanks dude, just a few more to re-post now, I'd gotten lazy last year, and forgot about re-posting a lot of stuff.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Eagle's Claw 1970, Paul Chang Chung and A Deadly Secret, which I was told is a remake of Iron Bones, which I had done a humorous set of subs for. Outline is similar, but the first movie the Young prisoner is the central character, but in the new one it's the older prisoner. Both have their charms. Someday I will do a more accurate set of subs, however, even though I did a satire, it follows the plot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Eagle's Claw 1970, Paul Chang Chung and A Deadly Secret, which I was told is a remake of Iron Bones, which I had done a humorous set of subs for. Outline is similar, but the first movie the Young prisoner is the central character, but in the new one it's the older prisoner. Both have their charms. Someday I will do a more accurate set of subs, however, even though I did a satire, it follows the plot.

Is there anything resembling Ying Jao Pai (Eagle's Claw Kung Fu) in Eagle's Claw?

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Not at all. It is a little bit like a mystery as in the victims get hit with the claw and then they are found. For most of the moving you never seize the technique actually used. It is better than most of the stuff from the time in terms of script acting and so forth. But the Shaw Brothers movies definitely had the edge at times on some of the fight scenes. There is, however, a young Sammo bustin heads with a three section staff in this though that is worth the price of admission.

• Like 1

Queen Boxer - Judy Lee seeks revenge on the evil gang that killed her brother. cracking finale where she takes on about 150 of the henchmen single handed. The german DVD nearly caught me out, the english dub was only available in the extras.

My Kung Fu 12 Kicks- Not bad Bruce Liang basher let down a little by some unfunny comedy before rousing itself for a good climax.

Cantonen Iron Kung Fu- lesser Beardy is still good Beardy as he trains himself to get revenge on baddie Phillip Ko

Young Tiger- Modern day Meng Fei basher isn't bad, here he's framed by a gang for a murder he didn't commit so escapes from the woefully inept cops to go after the baddies. Ecellent roof top fight around the halfway point is better than the climax. Mars features heavily here as one the gang members.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Black Belt Karate with Larry Lee and Billy Chong. Inspirational story of a truck driver who excels at Karate in Indonesia. Best parts are Bruce Liang's cameo scenes. Lo Lieh is not the best ultimate villain for barehanded fighting. Worth catching, lots of fights, on Youtube. Would probably look better with a remaster. 

Superdragon VS Superman, Bruce Li in a Taiwanese Kato and the Green Hornet ripoff. This is from the Remaster that has come out. Random naked girls, and some non Asian actors make sure to late you know that this was made for the Grindhouse. Lung Fei comes in at the halfway point and really ups the action. I was doing the subs, so I watched it on a really small screen. If you're Bruce Li or grindhouse fan you'll dig it, if not, well, it's not exactly King Hu.....

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Yes, going to have to do a lot more work on this than I thought.  Have to cut and attach all the scenes together, plus sub the parts that are in Mandarin.

Turns out the two prints are at different frame rates! Ugh! Will have to go with what is on the new one. 

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

4 Real Friends. Probably Wang Yu's best in terms of fight scenes. A must have for any old school collection. I mean Jesus, how many times are you going to watch old Jackie and Shaw Brothers movies? 

• Like 2