What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

I checked HKMDB. This movie was filmed in 1979 and is known as 'Struggle through death' - Hers the poster.

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=6810

I love that title.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Chinatown Kid, which has a special place for me, as I used to go see movies at the Great Star all the time, first taking the bus from Berkeley, then, when I was older, driving over. When the camera drives past the theater in the movie, everyone in the cinema cheered. Pretty hokey, with some decent fights, though pretty silly dialog. Also, all the versions I had seen before, Fu Sheng dies in the end, but the one that I got recently has him getting arrested in the end.

• Like 1

I finally watched the Miracle Fighter, Shaolin Drunkard and Taoism Drunkard serie.

Each sequel is crazier than it's predecessor, I wouldn't call them kung fu movies... more like supernatural comedy.

I don't know if I like this type of movie, it's great because it's so original and over the top for it's time but some parts are annoying, like the guy who dresse like a woman during the 3 movies... what's up with that.

The guy who live in a pot in the first movie..... wtf..... the watermelon monster in part 3, well that was funny !

anyway it's a genre of it's own.

• Like 1

Duel of the 7 tigers

(some spoilers)

I have seen the trailer nut never got to watch the whole thing...

I was honestly disappointed after watching the trailer which was so promising..

the movie has a whole lot of fights..but really, up to 85 minutes the flick is totally one sided..Philip Ko bashes everybody silly for 85 minutes until he loses the endfight which he also totally dominated first.. the fights itself were nice and also I loved it that so many styles were incorperated.. but as a whole it was lacking and sometimes a bit boring.

• Like 1

Dragon Fist – I very much enjoyed this early Jackie Chan movie. Not his best by a long shot but still a good movie. Not the typical Jackie Chan movie either with him playing it very serious.

• Like 1

Of Cooks and Kung Fu – decent kung fu film but I can't say anything really stands out to recommend it to anyone else. plenty of agile and acrobatic moves, which I usually enjoy a lot more, so I guess the choreography could've been more interesting and the fights more intense .

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin

great fights but boring movie.

Watched this one tonight. I wouldn't say boring, I'd rather say confusing or complicated. The fights are very nice and some of the comedy (especially in the beginning) is pretty funny.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Actually, I watched Angela Mao/James Tien/Pai Ying in Thunderbolt, which I liked, though it did remind me of that Lo Lieh Shaw Brothers movie where Lo maims his face for a disguise. I think that is a pretty common plot device. I liked the form that Angela did in the beginning, if anyone is familiar with it, I'd like to know them style/name.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU
Love Thundebolt... another often overlooked GH flick.

I actually did not know that the movie even existed, really. That's what you get for depending on the IMDB, when I should have looked on the HKMD.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Yeah, you should never use IMDB for anything Asian movie related.

IMDB is better for newer films (Asian wise) and fine for very popular Asian films, but yeah take older film information with caution (do the same for HKMDB when dealing with older HK films or some of the non-HK Chinese films they have entered there.) Sometimes getting correct information on these films is like being a detective.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Shaolin Plot 1977

Why oh why has this Golden Harvest classic, never got even a half decent release. And no, I don't consider vcd half decent.

I never understood that. My dvd-r is starting to freeze, so im gonna have to replace it soon. Would be nice to replace it with a good original release, but that's obviously not gonna happen.

Weird that it wasn't part of the FSLC dvd series.

• Like 1

Spiritual Kung Fu, great fights but 50% of the movie is boring and weird.

similar to Snake and Crane Arts.....

I'm almost done watching the 70s Jackie Chan, I never bothered watching them before.

Tonight I'm watching Dragon Fist... hopefully is better than the previous two.

• Like 1

Spiritual Kung Fu, great fights but 50% of the movie is boring and weird.

similar to Snake and Crane Arts.....

I'm almost done watching the 70s Jackie Chan, I never bothered watching them before.

Tonight I'm watching Dragon Fist... hopefully is better than the previous two.

I haven't seen Spiritual Kung Fu but I really enjoyed the other two, especially Snake and Crane Arts Shaolin. It really makes me sad seeing these old films and then what Jackie Chan is putting out these days.:squigglemouth:

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Dragon Fist is the best of the Lo Wei JC flicks, if you ask me. Fearless Hyena doesn't fully count, in that equation though.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Dragon Fist is Jackie trying to channel Bruce Lee. I think Lo Wei never got over how that worked out, (Having a shot at international fame, then blowing it with Bruce) but who knows? Best parts of the movie are the tournament at the beginning and the fight at the end. I liked Fearless Hyena better, personally. Spiritual Kung Fu was a weird flick, but the fights were good.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just finished Deaf and Mute Heroine, which was pretty good, but I liked Wrath of the sword better. Now, I watched both on Youtube, so, I did not get the big screen, etc. Also, Deaf and Mute was kind of gloomy. At least in Wrath of the Sword, the couple seemed like they might make it. Anyway, Wu Ma certainly could get the Shaw Brothers style on a budget, so kudos for him.

• Like 1

Dynamite Trio – some real talent in front of the camera but the film was shot too tight to the actors along with the DVD in full screen crops the action badly, I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped

• Like 1

Other than "Dance of Death" I'd never seen an Angela Mao film and, having just watched "Broken Path," I'm kicking myself. Mostly because all her classics seem to be out of print right now.

I loved it! The plot wasn't much but the characters and action were fantastic. Not quite shapes, not quite a basher. Yo-yos, scorpions, swords, Sammo Hung, a non-annoying Dean Shek and Lam Ching Ying popping up an extra. I'm really surprised by how good this was.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Have you seen the Tournament? There is a really good copy on Youtube, with subs, etc. Great flick. If you can find it, watch Skyhawk with Carter Wong and Sammo.

Just got through the Black Enforcer, but I was underwhelmed. Just not a very well made movie, terrible continuity. Looked like one of those movies Shaw brothers would through together on the side, while making a bigger, better movie. Tany Ching looked like he was hung over. Anyway, only for completest.

• Like 1