What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

The UK VHS company Atlas (Moonstone on DVD) had a weird obbsession with fake sequels. Besides making Tattoo Connection "Black Belt Jones 2", they renamed a random Bruce Le film "King Boxer 2"!

Yeah they released the Jimmy Wang Yu movie One Armed Boxer VS The Flying Guilltine as The One Armed Boxer 2.

51F9F8H17JL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

The only Martial Arts movie title they didn't change was James Ryan's Karate Kill, unless there were others releases I don't know of?.

• Like 2

zu - warriors from magic mountain. Been some 20 years since saw this from HK videotape last time and remember was very excited about it..Sadly that is not case today. It`s quite enjoyable movie of finding two swords needed to destroy blood devil. One of the very few first new wave martial arts flicks has not aged badly. Some effects look ancient but some still appears somewhat impressive.

There is not enough fighting action, energy blasts are featured and surprisingly little swordplay that`s all. Definitely movie NOT to satisfy your needs for kung fu.

Interesting thing in HKL disc are scenes shot for international version. I take closer look later(or one day) but it appears Yuen Biao was fencing expert in western world...

Cast is good, although Samo Hung should have gotten more screen time.

• Like 2

Snake In The Monkey's Shadow (Kaley Boy Custom) W/S 1979

Revisited this classic 'Shapes' movie for the umpteenth time:coveredlaugh, but this was Kaley Boy's custom VHS Rip, w/s edition, so my 55" 4K Panny was ready! Wow, @kaleyboy it looks great for a VHS rip, Thanks!

As I mentioned, i've seen this classic many times, but this was the 2nd time in glorious w/s, the other time was in the cinema, on release, back in 1980.....oh I miss Late Night!  This is in my top ten of favorite kung fu movies, would've been top five, but for John Chang:bs_thumbsdown:. Every time I watch this, I can't help but think, if only Billy Chong or Jackie Chan...even Yuen Biao had that role!  For me John Chang isn't nimble enough, fluent with his 'shapes', looks a bit awkward! Is it just me?:wondering

Everybody else is great in their roles, Charlie Chan & Wilson Tong as the Snake Assassins, Pomson Chi as the Monkey master and as for Hau Chiu Sing's Drunken Master, probably the best Drunken Master i've seen! Shame he didn't get more screen time.

Wilson Tong is action director on this one, so you know it's top notch and 'Shapes' Galore. This movie has it all, comedy, drama, but it's the match ups between the characters that makes this a must see.

4/5 

Bless:cool

• Like 4

manchu boxer. Liu Yung after killing son of general has to escape and in new area gets mixed up into local matters and eventually enters into tournament. Some bad things happen to people around him as he made promise never use kung fu again.....

Plot has minor flaw but it does not hurt enjoyment really, flick is pretty solid. Liu Yung who is slightly better in acting than fighting gets the job done and wilson tong is great as lackey of main villain. Samo hung(I like him more in these early baddie roles than leading ones later in general) is fine thug too...

Worth checking out but if you go for joy sales dvd, do not read description. I would like to know why they do major spoilers for almost every release...

• Like 3

The Face Behind The Mask

I enjoyed this one. Yueh Hua and Lo Lieh do a good job with this movie about a leader who a bunch of people try to kill. Then turns into a mystery to find who is the spy. The fights are well done save for a few moments of cheesy slowdown. A lot of nice camera movement in this one. Any other Rarescope releases worth checking out?

• Like 4

Mystery of Chess Boxing - One of those movies where the choreography is so great that you can appreciate it more with each viewing as there's always something else you notice. I have the UK Dragon dvd release which I think is copied straight from a vhs as the picture is poor and i'm convinced is cut because there are several scenes that seemed to end abruptly as well as location changes that don't make sense but as it's the only version i've watched I don't know what (if anything) is missing. Still even with a poor quality dvd it's still a film I can enjoy a great deal.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jay Stone said:

Watching Eagle's Claw now on Amazon Video. I've only seen it subbed before but this version is dubbed. 

This the one with Chang Yi as the villian? with Wong Tao and Chi Kuan Chun as the heroes.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 2/1/2017 at 4:12 PM, andy338 said:

Mystery of Chess Boxing - One of those movies where the choreography is so great that you can appreciate it more with each viewing as there's always something else you notice. I have the UK Dragon dvd release which I think is copied straight from a vhs as the picture is poor and i'm convinced is cut because there are several scenes that seemed to end abruptly as well as location changes that don't make sense but as it's the only version i've watched I don't know what (if anything) is missing. Still even with a poor quality dvd it's still a film I can enjoy a great deal.

From memory, it was cut in places to remove the Ocean Shores video logo that was superimposed at random points in the picture.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, DragonClaws said:

This the one with Chang Yi as the villian? with Wong Tao and Chi Kuan Chun as the heroes.

That's the one!

• Like 1

Dragon fist starring Jackie Chan,love it when the Chanster is in serious mode and this film is as moody as they come.For me this is my favourite of the Lo Wei movies and it's the start of Jackie Chan looking like a great on screen Kung fu king.Great choreography well paced and decent story with a good twist.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jay Stone said:

That's the one!

One of my favorite independent movies, I reviewed it for one of last years mutual reviews. Chang Yi makes for a great villian, and you gotta love his outfit in that one.

51BE4PGD8FL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 5

Just watch Killer meteors for the first time.  I think I....liked it?  color me surprised...

I dug the world.  Cool sets, particularly Lady Tempest's lair and throne.  Fights are just okay and they definitely could have done more with some of the more easily dispatched henchmen, but the twisty story is fun.  I was engaged the whole time.  Who else likes this one?

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

Just re watched Chao Chow Guy, with subs by Toby Russell. Pretty funny in parts, good old school, no wires basher, you know the deal. Pretty sloppy but entertaining, these kind of older 1972 to 1974 films still have punches and kicks that stick, as opposed to the shapes where it is the complexity that is the show. Not that there's anything wrong with some good shapes like Invincible Shaolin. 

I have to say Toby did a really good job with the subs, Tien Peng could have become a great kicker, and it's the first Champ Wang flick. Nancy Yen is a babe, if not a bit of a stiff actress, and the 2nd banana was pretty funny as well. One of the best scenes is when the main villain visits his buddy's school and a brawl breaks out.

ChaochowGuy+1972-5-b.jpg

• Like 6

Dragon's Claws 1979   Hwang Jang Lee, Lau Kar Yung, Chu Tiet Wo, Lau Hok Nin, Hon Gwok Choi & Yuen Qiu  Directed By Joseph Kuo

Decided to search my Amazon prime for some kung fu last night and stopped at this, haven't seen this one for years!  It was a F/S eng dub, (I have a w/s subbed & dubbed in my box, but  Amazon was easier for me....didn't have to move...just hit play.....)

The story centers around Hwang Jang Lee, Lau Hok Nin, Lau Kar Yung & the excellent Yuen Qiu! who are all from the same clan, but a 'Rape'...yes I said a 'Rape' had effectively caused bad feeling which resulted in the Dragon's Claw Tablet being in the wrong hands!

From the very beginning, opening fight, you know your in for a treat, Hwang Jang Lee show's us why he is so highly rated, showing off his Dragon's Claw technique and his kicking style. Yes there is a little use of 'undercranking', Joseph Kuo's films are well known for this, think Born Invincible, 7 Grandmasters & Ninja Checkmate, but don't let that put you off, this is a Top Notch kung fu movie and the star of the show is Yuen Qiu, her 'shapes' are fantastic and deadly, I knew she was a good fighter, from her brief appearance in Dreadnaught, she played Yuen Shun Yee's wife. Class!

Lar Kar Yung also stars and doesn't disappoint. also watch out fro Mr Green & Mr Red and their weapons of choice...different! 

4/5

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

Story of 36 Killers, which is only available in a thrashed print, but I have to say it is worth watching. Kiu Chong really new how to ape the Shaw Brothers style having worked there so long. The story is a downer, not to different than a Chang Cheh film by the end (Chong is misty eyed when he sees Pai Ying at the end) and Pai suffers like Job. He also kicks a hell of a lot of ass and Tang Ching, usually a jovial hero plays a rotten, arrogant bad guy who keeps throwing his family in harms way to avenge his honor. Jason Pai Piao and Chen Kuan Tai are among the villains and Raymond Lui plays the hero's little brother. Definitely worth checking out.

• Like 3

On 11/02/2017 at 10:06 AM, DragonClaws said:

One of my favorite independent movies, I reviewed it for one of last years mutual reviews. Chang Yi makes for a great villian, and you gotta love his outfit in that one.

I feel Chang Yi often came across as the most sinister of actors who've played white haired masters. 

In response to the overall thread:

I just watched Spooky Encounters to sort of mark the fact it's 10 years since I 1st watched it. Like I said recently in the timeline thread (http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/15927-your-hk-action-cinema-journey-in-a-timeline/I also said it that timeline thread: "The last shape I watched (and enjoy) all the way was Stranger from Shaolin." and that I'd: "Not watched a full MA movie since Police Story on the 21st January 2016." 

Well that changed this evening. I think it was the supernatural elements that made this interesting to me after losing an interesting in kung fu movies. Makes it more feel fresh and unique. 

For me SE was the 1st time I saw a :hvb_he_he_he: jiangshi, I like them quite a lot feel as though I need to watch Mr. Vampire again. That first jiangshi Sammo fights (was it Yuen Biao?) had a really cool unique fighting style. 

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I feel Chang Yi often came across as the most sinister of actors who've played white haired masters. 

Of the white ahired villians Ive seen, he's certianly one of the best. Really wished his white haired character in Rebel Of Shaolin, had more screentime. He's even comes across sinister when he's hamming it up in Exit The Dragon Enter The Tiger.

• Like 3

hapkido. While we do not watch these more straightforward movies for sake of plots, almost everything in this chinese vs japanese was too predictable. This time kung fu was no used tho, our heroes spent 5 years in Korea learning hapkido. Lots of action and well done even if somewhat basic bashing(I`m more shapes guy). Samo gives again great performance in early movie, I dunno why I don`t like him(his movies) in general that much ~10+ years later.

Maybe my expectations were over sky high I would not call it masterpiece(that might chance on revisit..)but it was very good movie and hardly noticed time passing by..

Spoiler

it bothered me little bit most of the time movie did not have clear lead actor, samo and angela mao had about equal parts, and carter wong not so visible either...Maybe I wanted to see more of Angela:cool.It changes tho when samo hung kicks bucket in good scene

516Z4FDFRSL._SY445_.jpg

Going to revisit Warriors Two in few days, enjoyed it lot on 1st view..

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 3

DragonClaws
On 04/03/2017 at 9:45 AM, Tex Killer said:

Maybe my expectations were over sky high I would not call it masterpiece(that might chance on revisit..)but it was very good movie and hardly noticed time passing by..

Compared to a lot of other movies from the era, its very good. The choreography was a worldapart from a lot of basher movies, that were doing the round. Still one of my favorite old school movies, even if it looks a bit dated now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Compared to a lot of other movies from the era, its very good. The choreography was a worldapart from a lot of basher movies, that were doing the round. Still one of my favorite old school movies, even if it looks a bit dated now.

Wang In Sik should have gotten much more to do, but what little screen time he has is excellent. Such a great kicker. Japanese main villain was far from convincing tho, his henchman who Angela Mao nails with absolutely over the top flying scissors was much better.

• Like 2