What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

19 minutes ago, ukrevrend said:

Wow are you still watching VHS? :speechless

I proudly have copies of Japanese movies like Latitude Zero and Godzilla 1985 on VHS, which I watch. :)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ukrevrend said:

Wow are you still watching VHS? :speechless

That pictures not from me, I took it off of ebay, I liked the old school look of that pic thats why I posted it. I watched Return of The Kung Fu Dragon on youtube uploaded by  NESSA709. I havent watched vhs since 1999, But I would watch it if it was something that never came out on dvd and something that is not online. Which not sure what that would be cause Ive found everythgin either online or dvd. But if i come across something thats on vhs only then i will bring my vcr up from the basement and go back :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BiggWill1988 said:

That pictures not from me, I took it off of ebay, I liked the old school look of that pic thats why I posted it. I watched Return of The Kung Fu Dragon on youtube uploaded by  NESSA709. I havent watched vhs since 1999, But I would watch it if it was something that never came out on dvd and something that is not online. Which not sure what that would be cause Ive found everythgin either online or dvd. But if i come across something thats on vhs only then i will bring my vcr up from the basement and go back :)

Oh I see!  I still have a cupboard at home that has a stack of kung Fu VHS, Why, I don't know LOL

• Like 1

Thats cool, I have a ton of in my basement, I just hold on to them, cause I like looking at them every once in a while to bring back old school memories, Ive pretty much re bought everything on dvd, i think dvd is better cause if your looking to go to one scene then you can go to it right away, plus the special features, I think thats the best think about dvd and blu ray is all the bonus footage

Edited by BiggWill1988
  • Like 3

On 12/21/2016 at 10:38 AM, BiggWill1988 said:

Thats cool, I have a ton of in my basement, I just hold on to them, cause I like looking at them every once in a while to bring back old school movies, Ive pretty much re bought everything on dvd, i think dvd is better cause if your looking to go to one scene then you can go to it right away, plus the special features, I think thats the best think about dvd and blu ray is all the bonus footage

Seems quite a lot of us Kung Fu Fans, like to bring back those old school memories! If only the cinemas would revive 'Late Night' on Friday, then I would be in my element!

• Like 2

grand passion. Early taiwanese movie about list of patriots, very usual stuff. Action was not bad but hong kong people had tighter grip during that period, ~1970

This was last of 3 films I picked from ebay seller Daniel. All random, other two are she would rather hate than love and bravest revenge.

Word average sums them all, best things in those are nice artworks and slipcases..not sure if I ever investigate more of taiwanese old martial arts movies but at least for now, I am done.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ukrevrend said:

Seems quite a lot of us Kung Fu Fans, like to bring back those old school memories! If only the cinemas would revive 'Late Night' on Friday, then I would be in my element!

I would love that!

• Like 1

bandits from shangtung. Not a great movie but it has some strong points..playtime is only 77 minutes and flick benefits from that as plot is quite waterthin...Samo hung has shortlived but quite tasty role as one of  villains and end fight is good with enough red paint on screen...

• Like 2

Happy New Year everyone!:monk_wellwishes:

I came home around 2 am after hanging out New Year's Eve and was flipping channels and came across Tattoo Connection on the Bounce TV channel. Quality and sound was pretty bad, full frame and mono, just like when I first saw it back in the late 80's. Although not a perfect movie, far from it, but I always thought this was one of Jim Kelly's best performances. He was looking good up against the likes of Bolo Yeung, Chen Sing, and Tan Tao Liang.

Is there by any chance a decent widescreen print of it somewhere out there?

• Like 2

I cracked open the Iron Fist Frenzy 50 pack and randomly picked a movie to watch. I tried with 18 Fatal Strikes but just couldn't finish it. A straight up generic ripoff of Jackie Chan comedy-fus of the era. With the lamest white-haired villain ever and typical "rebel monk on the run" storyline. Dean Shek and Tung Wei acting like complete idgets.

This movie sucks badly and doesn't give me hope for the rest of the pack. Anyone own this collection and is there anything worth watching on it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FieryReign said:

I cracked open the Iron Fist Frenzy 50 pack and randomly picked a movie to watch. I tried with 18 Fatal Strikes but just couldn't finish it. A straight up generic ripoff of Jackie Chan comedy-fus of the era. With the lamest white-haired villain ever and typical "rebel monk on the run" storyline. Dean Shek and Tung Wei acting like complete idgets.

This movie sucks badly and doesn't give me hope for the rest of the pack. Anyone own this collection and is there anything worth watching on it?

I can't quite agree with you, I found 18 Fatal Strikes to be an amusing fu flick, and Shaking Eagle one of the more interesting and memorable white-haired villains. I'm not a fan of Sze Ma-Lung, but I liked him in this role. The movie is also part of Wu Tang Iron Fist collection.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2017 at 0:43 AM, Shaolivevil said:

I came home around 2 am after hanging out New Year's Eve and was flipping channels and came across Tattoo Connection on the Bounce TV channel. Quality and sound was pretty bad, full frame and mono, just like when I first saw it back in the late 80's. Although not a perfect movie, far from it, but I always thought this was one of Jim Kelly's best performances. He was looking good up against the likes of Bolo Yeung, Chen Sing, and Tan Tao Liang.

Always had a soft spot for this one as it introduced me to the talents of Chan Sing. Tan To Liang and Jim Kelly make for a great team, and the films features one of my favorite old school finales.

On 02/01/2017 at 0:43 AM, Shaolivevil said:

Is there by any chance a decent widescreen print of it somewhere out there?

Wish I could help you out but all I have is the full screen public domian print. Thankfully its not the U.S T.V edit that has some cuts to violence and nudity, but the picture quality and sound are really poor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Always had a soft spot for this one as it introduced me to the talents of Chan Sing. Tan To Liang and Jim Kelly make for a great team, and the films features one of my favorite old school finales.

Wish I could help you out but all I have is the full screen public domian print. Thankfully its not the U.S T.V edit that has some cuts to violence and nudity, but the picture quality and sound are really poor.

I would love to see Tattoo Connection get a full restoration. I've seen that this movie was advertised as Black Belt Jones 2 in some circles for years, which is wrong and makes absolutely no sense at all, because Tattoo Connection and Black Belt Jones are in no way linked except by the fact that they both star Jim Kelly. Black Belt Jones had a true sequel with Hot Potato in 1976, where Kelly reprises his role as Black Belt Jones. It would've made better sense to call Hot Potato Black Belt Jones 2 than Tattoo Connection.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shaolivevil said:

I would love to see Tattoo Connection get a full restoration. I've seen that this movie was advertised as Black Belt Jones 2 in some circles for years, which is wrong and makes absolutely no sense at all, because Tattoo Connection and Black Belt Jones are in no way linked except by the fact that they both star Jim Kelly. Black Belt Jones had a true sequel with Hot Potato in 1976, where Kelly reprises his role as Black Belt Jones. It would've made better sense to call Hot Potato Black Belt Jones 2 than Tattoo Connection.

The DVD release I picked up was markted as Black Belt Jones 2, shame we never got to see a Tatoo Connection 2. Tan Tao Liang's character could have gone to the states to team up with Jim Kelly again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The action was quite good, but the movie was so exploitive and misogynist that it was rather unpleasant. Case in point: Dorian Tan berates his girlfriend for veing a slut after Chan Sing *rapes* her.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

The action was quite good, but the movie was so exploitive and misogynist that it was rather unpleasant. Case in point: Dorian Tan berates his girlfriend for veing a slut after Chan Sing *rapes* her.

Very good point Doc, those elements of the movie I'd overlooked/forgotten a the more exploitative parts. The assualt on Tan's girlfriend has random shots of race cars inserted into it right?. There's no other film that can claim to have Bolo, Chan Sing, Jim Kelly, and Tan Tao Liang duking it out in the finale.

Edited by DragonClaws

16 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

I can't quite agree with you, I found 18 Fatal Strikes to be an amusing fu flick, and Shaking Eagle one of the more interesting and memorable white-haired villains. I'm not a fan of Sze Ma-Lung, but I liked him in this role. The movie is also part of Wu Tang Iron Fist collection.

Really? The storyline was paint-by-numbers. The comedy was awful, just awful. The choreography was subpar. The villain had silly sound effects of birds flapping wings. And Dean was as annoying as ever. I didn't find anything redeeming, probably seen way too many of these cheap indies. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I re-visited The Iron-Fisted Monk last night. While I thoroughly enjoy the choreography (especially Sammo's spear work and Crane Fist in the finale), the film, as a whole, just feels a little "hollow" to me. There's not much to grab a hold of as far as plot goes. The Manchus do shitty things and get their comeuppance. Sadly, there's no flare to the plot. It all feels very empty. Add to that a shockingly graphic rape scene in the early minutes of the film and, all in all, there's not much to like beyond the fights. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine watch. Just nothing special.

• Like 3

On 04.01.2017. at 6:34 AM, FieryReign said:

Really? The storyline was paint-by-numbers. The comedy was awful, just awful. The choreography was subpar. The villain had silly sound effects of birds flapping wings. And Dean was as annoying as ever. I didn't find anything redeeming, probably seen way too many of these cheap indies. 

That's all true, but I can handle awful comedy and already seen plots, it's something you kinda have to get used to with those cheap ones. Back then when I watched the movie I was pretty much addicted to fu films, I needed my daily dose so anything was good to me. I wouldn't call it anything more than average at best, but that Shaking Eagle villain really stayed with me, and I find his dubbed voice to be even more annoying than those bird flapping sound effects. :laugh

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
On 03/01/2017 at 9:12 PM, DragonClaws said:

The DVD release I picked up was markted as Black Belt Jones 2, shame we never got to see a Tatoo Connection 2. Tan Tao Liang's character could have gone to the states to team up with Jim Kelly again.

The UK VHS company Atlas (Moonstone on DVD) had a weird obbsession with fake sequels. Besides making Tattoo Connection "Black Belt Jones 2", they renamed a random Bruce Le film "King Boxer 2"!

• Like 2