What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Morgoth Bauglir

They may have fought eachother early in their careers in Korea.  They are also in Blow Up together but I haven't seen it.  I'll have to watch Shaolin Plot again.  They may have a training scene together.  If they do it wasn't memorable.  KYM doesn't get to let loose in Shaolin Plot.  I don't know what Golden Harvest's problem was with him.  

• Like 1

I did get the Fortune Star DVD. I didn't have the dub on long, but I liked what I did hear of it. I agree about Kwan Yeong Moon, would have been a treat to see him and Casanova kick each other. Has this occurred in any other films?

I forgot to mention the music. It was another positive part of the movie and fitting to the scenes. 

Your comment about glam metal Casanova Wong is a quotable DC.

I love the soundtrack its my favorite HK movie score. They used some of the songs again for the documentaries Bruce Lee The Legend & Best Of Martial Arts too.

Casanova Wong was making extra money at the time by appearing in a glam rock band on the weekends. I think they were called Casanova & The Leg Fighters From Mars. I'm just kidding around before anyone puts that in a Casanova Wong bio online.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I love the soundtrack its my favorite HK movie score. They used some of the songs again for the documentaries Bruce Lee The Legend & Best Of Martial Arts too.

Casanova Wong was making extra money at the time by appearing in a glam rock band on the weekends. I think they were called Casanova & The Leg Fighters From Mars. I'm just kidding around before anyone puts that in a Casanova Wong bio online.

That's such a great name for a hair metal band, DC. 

I think we have another Fu legend who could join Casanova. if said legend rocked this look again. (Still coming up empty on what this is from.)

big_lo1.jpg

• Like 2

That's such a great name for a hair metal band, DC. 

I think we have another Fu legend who could join Casanova. if said legend rocked this look again. (Still coming up empty on what this is from.)

Lmao of that picture, few people know about Casanova Wong's singing talents. David Lee Roth stole a lot of his stage routine from him.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lmao of that picture, few people know about Casanova Wong's singing talents. David Lee Roth stole a lot of his stage routine from him.

LOL. 

Haven't really watched any Kung Fu flicks lately but I have been watching that new AMC show "Into the badlands" which is basically a martial arts tv show

• Like 1

Recently tried to watch cheeky chap,a golden harvest production good fight choreography but have no idea what's going on because no subs and my Cantonese is awful. I think the guy from young master Wei Pei is the star but not sure.

• Like 2

Had a day off from work and decided to have a kung fu movie marathon. I ended up only getting through 3 movies but it's more than I've had a chance to watch in ages.

Started with Dragon Fist with Jackie Chan. I finally got my hands on the uncut version and couldn't  believe how much the Columbia Tristar DVD cut out. I know many don't  like the pre-Drunken Master Jackie era but I really love this movie.

Next up was Shaolin Ex Monk with John Liu and Blacky Ko. I remember renting this from an old video store about 15 years ago and had to pick it up when I came across the DVD. Otherwise known as Renegade Monk, it has some great choreography with a cameo from Jack Long.

Finally I watched Hells Windstaff starring Hwang Jang Lee. I only recently had a chance to see this one since I was holding out to find a dubbed version. Great movie despite the obvious attempt to cash in on the Drunken Master craze.

I need to take more days off...

• Like 4

Secret Executioner

Jackie, John Liu and Hwang Jang Lee. Sounds like an awesome triple feature.  :cool 

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Snake Deadly Act.  Two words: "Shadowless Kick."   What a cameo CWM. I've seen this before and I enjoy Snake Deadly Act. It was a bit more enjoyable today especially since I really caught that 'technique' in action.

Daggers 8  I'd love a subbed version of this as Lily Li and Wilson Tong were fantastic. Some wonderful choreography and fun concepts from Tong. And I like his wig in this one too. 

And the first 8 minutes of The Spiritual Boxer 3x... because I love the whole ceremonial, almost "magical" feel to this scene and the performances by Tong, Chen Kuan Tai and Ti Lung (who completely convinced me he was possessed. I loved his acting and martial performance here. Martial question is Ti performing Hung Ga in this scene or something else?) Anyway,  I wish the rest of the movie was as transporting and fun as this sequence to me...but try as I might, Wang Yue and I really don't gel. 

• Like 2

Snake Deadly Act.  Two words: "Shadowless Kick."   What a cameo CWM. I've seen this before and I enjoy Snake Deadly Act. It was a bit more enjoyable today especially since I really caught that 'technique' in action.. 

I think the film would have been even better Chan Wai Man and Angela Mao's characters had larger roles to play in the story. Whenever I see the film I get the impression they may have cut some of their scenes out?. Love finale in this one, the action owes a lot to the late 70s style of choreography. Some parts however in particular the finale start to show a different style of action coming in. The fight chroeography in The Killer In White is an even better example of this.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I think the film would have been even better Chan Wai Man and Angela Mao's characters had larger roles to play in the story. Whenever I see the film I get the impression they may have cut some of their scenes out?. Love finale in this one, the action owes a lot to the late 70s style of choreography. Some parts however in particular the finale start to show a different style of action coming in. The fight chroeography in The Killer In White is an even better example of this.

You're definitely right there DragonClaws. More from CWM and Angela Mao would have made this film work much better. I was a little bummed especially when you see a killing blow like that kick and then it is not used again.  

It's not the quite the equal of my frustration with most modern genre films where you get this awesome throw away line about an idea or concept that never comes to pass since I like the film, but I agree with you about more from those two. 

• Like 1

You're definitely right there DragonClaws. More from CWM and Angela Mao would have made this film work much better. I was a little bummed especially when you see a killing blow like that kick and then it is not used again.  

It's not the quite the equal of my frustration with most modern genre films where you get this awesome throw away line about an idea or concept that never comes to pass since I like the film, but I agree with you about more from those two. 

You are right, Chan's character had a lot more potential especially with his shadow less kick. In fact they could have built a whole film idea around his character.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

You are right, Chan's character had a lot more potential especially with his shadow less kick. In fact they could have built a whole film idea around his character.

I could easily see a film constructed around that character.  Another one for the happy head cannon, I guess. 

I could easily see a film constructed around that character.  Another one for the happy head cannon, I guess. 

You got my thinking now, I have the opening mapped out in my head already.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

You got my thinking now, I have the opening mapped out in my head already.

Do tell, sir! :smile

Death Machines (1976) - so bad it's so laughable! Saw it on TubiTV over the weekend. My review will be posted on my blog shortly. 

• Like 2

Death Machines (1976) - so bad it's so laughable! Saw it on TubiTV over the weekend. My review will be posted on my blog shortly. 

the term guilty pleasure was invented for this flick! Ron Marchini,the dragon lady, epic scenes like the karate school massacre,cinematic genius! i first caught this playing on a double bill in a uk cinema back in the late 70's and after years of shoddy home video releases was delighted to get hold of the Code Red dvd which is in it's correct 2:35:1 ratio and has a director commentary :smile

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lest I sound like a skipping mpeg... 

Shanghai 13 (1985) it's my Kill Crappy Day movie...always makes me smile. I love this film more with each viewing. But the question remains, what's with the sweater Sailor Ti?

Last night, watched Gang Wars aka Devil's Express with the awesomely named "Warhawk Tanzania" as he fights gang members and a demon hiding out in the NYC subway. The film's fights are akin to Kill or be Killed again with the late Hanshi Frank Ruiz serving as the film's martial arts director. Full review here

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I tried to watch the Revenger, but it ended at the 60 minute point... :crying

Some splendid Ti Lung pole weapon fu (when he was playing the overly righteous dad)...shame the full film wasn't on here. No more of these 3rd party Amazon boots for me. 3rd one that was some kind of dud. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

5 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

I tried to watch the Revenger, but it ended at the 60 minute point... :crying

Some splendid Ti Lung pole weapon fu (when he was playing the overly righteous dad)...shame the full film wasn't on here. No more of these 3rd party Amazon boots for me. 3rd one that was some kind of dud. 

I'm still waiting gor you to review INHERITOR OF KUNG FU.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
40 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I'm still waiting gor you to review INHERITOR OF KUNG FU.

Ti performed some nice "sticky hands" wing chun and the training sequence was good. Interesting final fight. Pearl was fun too. 

These made sitting through the film worth it. 

• Like 1