What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

... unfortunately my writing on the film is gone when a previous criterion site went out of existence.

This is what I was livid about most when the old KFC site disappeared over night, Master. That all the contributions and reviews that me, you and so many others spend so much friggin' time to compose were supposed to be erased forever. And no, I wouldn't have resigned on the interim site without all that invaluable data being restored, was just too mad about this disappearing act. But then saviours KFB and Co. stepped in... :cool

Oh, and before I forget it: to have films like this restored and look like this is truly a godsend! The vibrancy of the colours is amazing, especially of the first film. The second one, where they used more soundstage footage, looked a bit duller and slightly hazier at times. Still,  I reckon when you pop in these BD's and compare em'  to your old LD's you'll believe you see totally different films!

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Female Fugitive (1975)  Let's get this out of the way, the lady of the title is a serious Drug Queen, the head of operations of a heroin ring that gets chased out of Hong Kong and into Thailand. Once there, people get suspicious when two obnoxious kids accidentally stumble upon Drug Queen's major domo Chan Wai Man killing a man who was either an undercover cop or police informant (the subtitles were dodgy - hard to read on this umpteenth gen vhs sourced boot). Said kids take pictures of CWM doing the deed (including a very pain inducing behind the knee / calf tearing stomp with a thick, almost platform boot heel - man, I yelped OUCH when I saw CWM deliver that.)   CWM doesn't get the film roll back because obnoxious little boy bumped into pretty photographer tourist and their cameras get switched. So you know what happens next.  

As for Drug Queen, she glowers a lot and doesn't miss a beat (and, yes, that glower and the flash of a blade makes Chan Wai Man a bit nervous... so he wasn't the cold assassin / hit man that he would soon master in Jumping Ash (1976) etc.) Drug Queen looks pretty cool in her 70s hats, but this really wasn't what I was expecting at all.  When it comes to drug films, I am not into seeing the whole production and usage end (unless it's psychedelics because of the FX and creative visuals people try to come up with) - this film was full of heroin production and therefore there were long stretches of disinterest for me personally. 

Anyway, not bad for some of the down and dirty brawling (basher, I guess), but I've seen much, much better in CWM's output.

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

Female Fugitive (1975)  Let's get this out of the way, the lady of the title is a serious Drug Queen, the head of operations of a heroin ring that gets chased out of Hong Kong and into Thailand. Once there, people get suspicious when two obnoxious kids accidentally stumble upon Drug Queen's major domo Chan Wai Man killing a man who was either an undercover cop or police informant (the subtitles were dodgy - hard to read on this umpteenth gen vhs sourced boot). Said kids take pictures of CWM doing the deed (including a very pain inducing behind the knee / calf tearing stomp with a thick, almost platform boot heel - man, I yelped OUCH when I saw CWM deliver that.)   CWM doesn't get the film roll back because obnoxious little boy bumped into pretty photographer tourist and their cameras get switched. So you know what happens next.  

As for Drug Queen, she glowers a lot and doesn't miss a beat (and, yes, that glower and the flash of a blade makes Chan Wai Man a bit nervous... so he wasn't the cold assassin / hit man that he would soon master in Jumping Ash (1976) etc.) Drug Queen looks pretty cool in her 70s hats, but this really wasn't what I was expecting at all.  When it comes to drug films, I am not into seeing the whole production and usage end (unless it's psychedelics because of the FX and creative visuals people try to come up with) - this film was full of heroin production and therefore there were long stretches of disinterest for me personally. 

Anyway, not bad for some of the down and dirty brawling (basher, I guess), but I've seen much, much better in CWM's output.

Lady Jin, I admire your ability to take your favorite actors and focus almost laser-like on their movies when it comes to making watching decisions. I try to do that, but then random stuff gets in my way and my reaction is something akin to me saying, "I need to finish watching these wuxia movies I bought recen--Hey! Shiny!"

• Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lady Jin, I admire your ability to take your favorite actors and focus almost laser-like on their movies when it comes to making watching decisions. I try to do that, but then random stuff gets in my way and my reaction is something akin to me saying, "I need to finish watching these wuxia movies I bought recen--Hey! Shiny!"

When I get stuck on an actor / director, laser-focus indeed.  (Looks guiltily at the Angelo Mao Ying set... I think I have at least two more movies to watch in that...but I can't stop watching Broken Oath.)

Budget is demanding I don't buy as much as I was, so there's that too, but the "Ooh Shiny" moments do pop up. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Have you heard the Rarescope commentary with Don Wong Tao?  Wong does not have that nice things to say about Wu Ma's direction.  Toby Russell leads the commentary.

If I did I don't remember it, thanks for mentioning it, I have made a point to check it out. The one I do remember, maybe because it is a video, is the interview on the Secret Rivals disc where Wong Tao talks candidly about his career.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

If I did I don't remember it, thanks for mentioning it, I have made a point to check it out. The one I do remember, maybe because it is a video, is the interview on the Secret Rivals disc where Wong Tao talks candidly about his career.

I did write a few notes on it (this might save you some time, though it is worth watching); had some trouble with the accent:

Along Comes The Tiger (1977: Taiwan: Rarescope): commentary by Toby Russell, Wang Tao

Can’t always follow what Toby Russell states [sounds a bit garbled]  I might want to go over this commentary again.  I’m writing this used on notes I took when this release came out (2006).

Finished film in 22 days.

Wang Tao never wanted to produce another film again.

No notes for Tommy Lee’s fighting (Gam Ming).

Wu Ma was also shooting another film angering Wang Tao, stating again he did not like being producer. [not sure which film this would have been, Wu did a few that year]

Wu Ma would drink on set.

Several girls used were models.

No regulation shooting with kids

Wang Tao understand 60 percent of Cantonese

Says Jackie Chan was doing stunts in Hong Kong at this time.

Like HK martial art directors better than Taiwan.

Tommy Lee had outside problems.

Film did OK when released; Wang Tao put up money for it.

Shot a few scenes in Korea.

Loves Once Upon A Time In The West (which this is partially based on)

Tommy Lee left to HK then to USA to cook.

Edited by masterofoneinchpunch
  • Like 3

I did write a few notes on it (this might save you some time, though it is worth watching); had some trouble with the accent:
Wu Ma was also shooting another film angering Wang Tao, stating again he did not like being producer. [not sure which film this would have been, Wu did a few that year]

That would be interesting to find out. I guess it would most likely be a film that was shooting in Taiwan also, such as The Murder of Murders (The Massive) or Snake Crane Secret. I know Naval Commandos was at least partially shot in Taiwan if not all of it.

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

One Foot Crane (1979) Lily Li and Lo Lieh. How could I not like that?   A better print and native dub would have been nice, but the YouTube watch was fun.  Some really nice work from Lily (like David Chiang really upped her game martial arts wise.)  She's great fun to watch in action. 

• Like 2

One Foot Crane (1979) Lily Li and Lo Lieh. How could I not like that?   A better print and native dub would have been nice, but the YouTube watch was fun.  Some really nice work from Lily (like David Chiang really upped her game martial arts wise.)  She's great fun to watch in action. 

Glad you enjoyed it. I wished she had done more crane and less swordplay, though. Did you watch it because of my review?

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Glad you enjoyed it. I wished she had done more crane and less swordplay, though. Did you watch it because of my review?

Yes, and too, to see more of Lily's martial work. :smile  I agree Doc, more of Lily performing the Crane style would have been great. 

I recently watched Chase Step By Step (1974)

You can find my thoughts here http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/21675-chase-step-by-step-1974/

My next review will be for the December Mutual Movie Review thread. There's a film Ive already got lined up to watch. Looking forward to seeing what other members will be contributing to the thread.

Edited by DragonClaws

"Dragon Fist" starring Jackie Chan and James Tien

That excellent flick is in my JC top5. I did not like it that much in past when had seen only edited version but ultrabit edition I got some years back was terrific viewing experience.

Storyline is quite wellcrafted and fights are superb. Hmm, I still have shaolin wooden men dvd as sealed. Not sure if I ever saw it from vhs but I think gonna check it today...

Magnificent bodyguards is also one jc very early flick I rate highly.

• Like 2

That excellent flick is in my JC top5. I did not like it that much in past when had seen only edited version but ultrabit edition I got some years back was terrific viewing experience.

Storyline is quite wellcrafted and fights are superb. Hmm, I still have shaolin wooden men dvd as sealed. Not sure if I ever saw it from vhs but I think gonna check it today...

Magnificent bodyguards is also one jc very early flick I rate highly.

I too highly rate Dragon Fist, I should watch Spiritual King Fu and Shaolin Wooden Men, since in old JC mood. Magnificent Bodyguards is an interesting film, crazy gangs, swordplay flick.

• Like 2

Watched "Shaolin Wooden Men",  might need to give old JC films a miss for now.

What are your thoughts on Shaolin Wooden Men weier78?.

Nice review One Armed Boxer, just when I think Ive watched the strangest Korean Kung Fu flick I hear about another that tops it.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

What are your thoughts on Shaolin Wooden Men weier78?.

Nice review One Armed Boxer, just when I think Ive watched the strangest Korean Kung Fu flick I hear about another that tops it.

It is a good film, if you stack it for what else was around that stage in the 1970s. Actually a good story with a nice twist, and even having JC character so respective to his master (even though his master is one evil guy), even to the very end, was a good change up from the normal storylines. I am not much of a Kam Kong fan, don't know why JC and Chi-hwa Chen chose him to be the main villian in so many of the JC's early work, so I find his character ok, but his action scenes seem to slow the film down.  I enjoyed the training scenes, who doesn't like watching JC running up stone steps, with iron shoes and holding buckets of water with a hole, or learning a snake style in a grease pit.

• Like 3

Morgoth Bauglir

Yep, a perfect description why Wooden Men is a good movie.  Kam Kong and Jackie are great together.  The fights aren't among the best of the best but Jackie gives easily one of the best fighting performances from 1976. 

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

It is a good film, if you stack it for what else was around that stage in the 1970s. Actually a good story with a nice twist, and even having JC character so respective to his master (even though his master is one evil guy), even to the very end, was a good change up from the normal storylines. I am not much of a Kam Kong fan, don't know why JC and Chi-hwa Chen chose him to be the main villian in so many of the JC's early work, so I find his character ok, but his action scenes seem to slow the film down.  I enjoyed the training scenes, who doesn't like watching JC running up stone steps, with iron shoes and holding buckets of water with a hole, or learning a snake style in a grease pit.

Like Morgoth has already pointed out you've pretty much summed the film up there. Kam Kong is not the most exciting screen fighter but I like him as a villain and he has a good screen presence. I love the monk character who appears to just spend his days wobbling around the temple drunk. Miu Tak San who plays the drunken monk featured in a lot of the Lo Wei produced Jackie Chan films. 

I find Kam Kong to be uneven. Despite having been trained by Dorian Tan Tao Liang, I don't think his kicks were all that fantastic. They could be high and powerful, but never flashy. But he was a great villain in Master of the Flying Guillotine and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. Some of his other appearances, like A Girl Called Tigress and Against the Drunken Cat's Paw, were less impressive in my opinion.

• Like 2

I find Kam Kong to be uneven. Despite having been trained by Dorian Tan Tao Liang, I don't think his kicks were all that fantastic. They could be high and powerful, but never flashy. But he was a great villain in Master of the Flying Guillotine and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. Some of his other appearances, like A Girl Called Tigress and Against the Drunken Cat's Paw, were less impressive in my opinion.

That's interesting Doc, he looked liked he could handle Chan easy in S&CAOS. Ive never watched the last two productions you mentioned. I wonder how long he trained with Tan Tao Liang for?.

Morgoth Bauglir

I always found Kam Kong to be a great actor, both as a hero and a villain.  His fighting skills are very good, but his problem is that he's too slow.  He has trouble keeping up with the top performers.  But he's a big guy, so it's understandable. 

• Like 2

Just watched 'Hells Windstaff'. It has those brat heroes, for me, that should be killed at the end because they are so annoying, Meng Yuen-Man and Mang Hoi the actors. You just feel that Hwang Jang-Lee could have just wiped the floor with these two.

• Like 1