What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Good review, Lady. I also watched this year and thought it was really good. This had one of the few deaths in a kung fu movie that actually made me wince. I think Michael Chan used the eagle claw, since he has said in interviews that he studied Northern kung fu and ying jao pai is a Northern Style.

Thanks for clarifying Chan's claw style, Doc.  I still have a lot to learn with styles / forms. 

Speaking of which,   I'll finally have your book next week (had to cancel an earlier order). :smile

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Good reviews people, both movies sound pretty awesome. I need to see more of the Taiwanese wuxia flicks, and a Loganesque David Chiang sounds awesome. (Along with the rest of the movie "Blooded Treasury Fight")

I am struggling on my second attempt at seeing "The Crippled Masters 3: Fighting Life" to the end. It barely has any martial arts, and when it does it's not as entertaining as it was in The Crippled Masters or The Crippled Masters 2: Two Crippled Heroes. It's mainly a drama film about the two crippled heroes moving into the city and trying to adapt to social and working life there.. Basically, it consists of them being either mocked or felt sorry for, and very few bad fights mixed in. The one with the chicken wing arm drives some interesting tricycle wagon motor vehicle  thing.

I actually thought "The Crippled Masters" was a decent Kung fu movie all things considered. The second one had some decent fighting and entertaining exploitation gimmicks. But this.. Eugh.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Good reviews people, both movies sound pretty awesome. I need to see more of the Taiwanese wuxia flicks, and a Loganesque David Chiang sounds awesome. (Along with the rest of the movie "Blooded Treasury Fight")

I am struggling on my second attempt at seeing "The Crippled Masters 3: Fighting Life" to the end. It barely has any martial arts, and when it does it's not as entertaining as it was in The Crippled Masters or The Crippled Masters 2: Two Crippled Heroes. It's mainly a drama film about the two crippled heroes moving into the city and trying to adapt to social and working life there.. Basically, it consists of them being either mocked or felt sorry for, and very few bad fights mixed in. The one with the chicken wing arm drives some interesting tricycle wagon motor vehicle  thing.

I actually thought "The Crippled Masters" was a decent Kung fu movie all things considered. The second one had some decent fighting and entertaining exploitation gimmicks. But this.. Eugh.

Yeah, the Loganesque David Chiang was a very nice surprise.  I thought, "Did Larry Hama write his dialog?!?"  It's a fun movie: crappy full screen, umpteenth gen print and English dub, but very entertaining. In spite of Chiang being doubled,  I think it works better for me as a David Chiang vehicle instead of The King of Fists and Dollars. (To me, TKOFAD is Polly's film with some good backup from David and CWM.)

The Cripple Masters 3 film almost makes me think of El Topo (with the disfigured, crippled characters trying to find acceptance in the local town.) 

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Look closely at Chan Wai Man's hand posture. Tiger and Eagle Claw aren't exclusive to Northern or Southern style. Tiger typically uses all fingers and thumbs hooked forward. Eagle Claw typically only uses the thumbs and the fore-and middle fingers hooked forward. To me, that's the easiest way to distinguish them.

• Like 4

Very nice review, Doc. I'll probably be watching more of Angela Mao later this week, but just finished

Blooded Treasury Fight (1979)  With David Chiang, Chan Wai Man and Wong Chung aboard this was going to be fun. Death row criminal  Yin Gan To (Chiang) is recruited by Marshall Chow  (Tan Tiao-Liang) to recover a treasure from the notorious Bloody Mill. In tow, are Yin's on / off lover Chai Lin (played with verve by Kim Jeong-Nan (she reminded me of the characters Lily Li often played) and others.  Wong Chung's tattoo artist Wa Lun is another character after the loot as he also heads to the Bloody Mill.  He isn't given much to do here which is too bad because I liked his character. 

Thanks Lady Jin Szu Yi, Blooded Treasury Fight sounds great another Tan Tao Liang film I really need to see.

Secret Executioner

Look closely at Chan Wai Man's hand posture. Tiger and Eagle Claw aren't exclusive to Northern or Southern style. Tiger typically uses all fingers and thumbs hooked forward. Eagle Claw typically only uses the thumbs and the fore-and middle fingers hooked forward. To me, that's the easiest way to distinguish them.

I've seen Shaolin Eagle techniques (maybe Shaolin Eagle is an altogether different style ?) using all 5 fingers, but it looked more like Leopard (fingers folded onto the palm side of the hand) than Tiger.  :thinking 

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Appreciate it ShaOW!linDude. 

I'll definitely do that on rewatch (don't have to twist my arm to rewatch these period films with CWM.)  I've noticed Chan does something claw-like with his hands in Broken Oath too (and I am sure other films), but these movies stand out for me. 

I've seen Shaolin Eagle techniques (maybe Shaolin Eagle is an altogether different style ?) using all 5 fingers, but it looked more like Leopard (fingers folded onto the palm side of the hand) than Tiger.  :thinking 

Thanks Secret - so there might be a third style. LOL. So many styles, so little time.

Thanks Lady Jin Szu Yi, Blooded Treasury Fight sounds great another Tan Tao Liang film I really need to see.

I think you'll enjoy his performance DragonClaws. Tan was one of the more complex characters, in character and fight-style. 

If anyone can find a better print than poop bootleg I found on Amazon, please post. 

Had I reviewed CRYSTAL FIST for last month's Mutual Review Thread, I've would've gone into the differences between different Eagle Styles.

Eagle Claw - Ying Jao Pai - uses a five-fingered claw, similar to a Panther claw. Michael Chan and Bruce Leung use it in some of their movies, like Broken Oath and others. The Mainland wushu adaptation of Ying Jao Pai also uses the five-fingered claw, but has a lot of the actual fighting content removed from it.

Hsing-I Chuan, Southern Eagle Claw (which appears to be a derivative of Hung Gar) and Taiwanese Eagle Claw use the three-fingered claw, which is pretty common in movies.

Edited by DrNgor
spelling
  • Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks again, Doc. So I was right about Chan using Eagle Claw in Broken Oath. Looking forward to getting your book, but appreciate the responses here. 

This might have an obvious answer, but if the fight / action choreographers knew the actor had training in a particular style, would they incorporate it into the fights?  Or was that improvised between the actors and/or choreographer?

• Like 1

The Red Pheonix

A masked assassin is murdering members of Uncle Shen's(Wang Hsieh) newly formed martial arts school. The students (led by David Chiang) try to get to the bottom of it before anyone else loses their life. The plot is pretty straight forward, but I have to admit it does effectively leave you wondering who is behind the mask till' late in the movie. The cast is very strong (consisting of Chiang, Lo Lieh, Polly Kuan, Yueh Hua, and more) and everyone involved turns in a decent performance, although only few get a lot of screen time. There is a little bit of fantasy mixed in, the titular weapon for one, which is pretty funny. I watched a pretty nice print of this that seems to be remastered, and there were some absolutely beautiful locations, and a few nice bright costumes(like the one worn by the killer.)

The fights range from average to good. Most characters don't get many fights, and there was a lot of doubling going on as well. I'll assume Jack Long was probably the one in the mask for most of the fights judging by the kind of moves the character was pulling off. If I am right, he turns in a great performance, showing off his usual precise shapes and acrobatic ability. David Chiang and Polly Kuan also put in some noteworthy fighting, but it really only excels near the end of the film.

All in all it was an above average film that was a fun watch. Funny, this could have been used for the months theme, but the China vs Japan theme was shoehorned in at the very end, so I just opted not to.

• Like 7

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I've been considering picking up a copy of Red Phoenix, paimeifist. Thanks for the nice review. Interesting they shoe-horned the china vs. japan element in there too. 

• Like 1

No I DL'd this one from ADC. Let me know if you would like to see it Doc. Lady, it may not be one I would usually recommend buying, but with you being as big a fan of David Chiang as I think you are, I'd say check it out. Either way its at least worth a watch.

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Shanghai 13  (1984) I need no reason to rewatch this one, but I am :blush to note when I reviewed this for the October Mutual Movie review, I completely spaced on Ricky Chien Tien-Chi making it to the final fight. That sequence has his choreography all over it.  With this discovery, all I can say is major props to Ti Lung for the work he did in the mano-a-mano between his Instructor and Chien's Quick Knife; Another fantastic stretch of martial work from Ti (even if his sailor schtick remains giggle inducing.) I have a newfound respect for Ti's martial ability after The Heroes and rewatching this tonight.  Oh and that's three stand out fight sequences in Shanghai 13, not just two.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised; as I didn't spot Ti in this until my third viewing (and Ricky Chien Tien-Chi only recently. I'm used to CTC with the wuxia wigs.)

I love finding new details and character / story bits in rewatches.  Shanghai 13 and Five Elements Ninjas are my go to, have fun kung fu movies. I can always count on these two to entertain and snap me out of a rotten mood. 

It's little things like this which make this film even more engaging and just such a good time. Love this film even more now. 

• Like 2

I revisited Spiritual Kung Fu last night. If you can get past the first 40 minutes (which are almost action-free), there is some very impressive fighting on display. Jackie displays here that he was/is every bit as good an action director as his contemporaries like the Yuen Clan, Sammo Hung and Lau Kar-Leung. A lot of people have high praises for his fight against the squadron of pole-wielding monks, which is indeed impressive. However, I was even more impressed with his one-on-one against James Tien. I personally think that is Tien's best performance and Jackie really unleashes with the five animal styles (with the usual emphasis on snake and crane). It's really one of the most satisfying fights of Jackie's old school period, if you ask me.

The only problem is that the fights lose A LOT in the pan-and-scan version, which was unfortunately the version included on the DVD I bought earlier this year. It renders almost 30% of the action unintelligible.

• Like 2

DRAGON FIST - I had this on VHS on a double bill with SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN, but didn't care for it at the time. About 17 years later, with more experienced eye and a widescreen, remastered print, I can honestly say it's a good movie. Apparently this was a script for a Bruce Lee movie, and as such, it's more serious and bleaker than your Jackie Chan movie. The fighting, once more by Jackie himself, is quite good. Chan's hand techniques are extremely fast, complex and crisp by 1979 standards and deserve mention. Eagle Han Ying gets to show off some nice kicks, as does Yen Shi Kwan, surprisingly. The final tonfa duel drags a little, but the action is quite admirable in the end.

• Like 3

The bravest revenge was enjoyable flick with standard storyline about vengeance and special sword. Taiwanese release is good quality, unfortunately it might be cut too. At least one scene looks suspicious when man is about to start duel with lead bad guy it cuts to inn where good dude in taking care of his wrist wounded by crook...

:monk_huh:

• Like 2

DRAGON FIST - I had this on VHS on a double bill with SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN, but didn't care for it at the time. About 17 years later, with more experienced eye and a widescreen, remastered print, I can honestly say it's a good movie. Apparently this was a script for a Bruce Lee movie, and as such, it's more serious and bleaker than your Jackie Chan movie. The fighting, once more by Jackie himself, is quite good. Chan's hand techniques are extremely fast, complex and crisp by 1979 standards and deserve mention. Eagle Han Ying gets to show off some nice kicks, as does Yen Shi Kwan, surprisingly. The final tonfa duel drags a little, but the action is quite admirable in the end.

I think Dragon Fist is one of his better films under Lo Wei's direction. The finale really impressed me the first time I watched it. Chan does look a little awkward in his role but Wei was trying to mold him into the next Bruce Lee.

Fingers That Kill (1972)

Fingers That Kill is a pretty standard basher with Tony Liu Jun-Guk in a very rare lead hero role. The story is about a group of gangsters that come to town and promise the poor men of the town work in Thailand. Only thing is none of the men can read and are basically sold into slavery when they sign the contracts. Then after a year or so the gangsters come back to the town and tell family members that their relative has incurred a debt and they take any good looking girls as payment and put them in the brothel.

At some point Tony Liu returns from 3 years training in kung fu in the mountains (with Jason Pai Piao as his older brother) and finds that every one in his family is either sold off or dead as well as his fiancé. At first he looses it, but then realizes the best way to get revenge is by going to work for the thugs. Along with his hot-headed friend, they travel to Thailand and go to work cutting trees. Tony pretends to not know any kung fu, but his friend snaps at every injustice. When he sees Tony bowing and saying he's sorry to the thugs he turns his back on him, not realizing his plan to stay undercover until he can get his chance for revenge.

The action choreography is a bit stilted and there are a lot of pauses before punches are thrown, but if you enjoy bashers from this era like I do, you will most likely enjoy this.

The version I saw was from Jamal ( http://jamalkungfuprojects.blogspot.com/ ). He took a German VHS widescreen print and added the original Mandarin audio and removable English subtitles with very nice results.

DmwPq0z.png

Edited by panku
  • Like 6

I think Dragon Fist is one of his better films under Lo Wei's direction. The finale really impressed me the first time I watched it. Chan does look a little awkward in his role but Wei was trying to mold him into the next Bruce Lee.

It's not as entertaining as Snake and Crane Arts...but it's a solid flick with strong characters. I think a lot of Chan's Lo Wei films are unfairly dismissed by dome people. Only NEW FIST OF FURY and KILLER METEORS struck me as having minimum few, if any, redeeming qualities.

• Like 2

It's not as entertaining as Snake and Crane Arts...but it's a solid flick with strong characters. I think a lot of Chan's Lo Wei films are unfairly dismissed by dome people. Only NEW FIST OF FURY and KILLER METEORS struck me as having minimum few, if any, redeeming qualities.

I have a soft spot for the films he made during his stay at Lo Wei's company Doc. This was my introduction to Jackie Chan when I first got into the genre, I'd say Snake & Crane Arts Of Shaolin, Fearless Hyena and Dragon Fist are the best. I'd like to see a decent print of Shaolin Wooden Men before making my mind up on that one. The old VHS release I owned was one of the worst quality prints Ive ever seen.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Yeah, I need to watch Shaolin Wooden Men and Magnificent Bodyguards again to really make up my mind on them. They weren't bad by any means, but it's good to have a second viewing for films like those.

• Like 2

Yeah, I need to watch Shaolin Wooden Men and Magnificent Bodyguards again to really make up my mind on them. They weren't bad by any means, but it's good to have a second viewing for films like those.

Magnificent Bodyguards is held back by the poor 3-D gimmick they tried to use. You get lots of kick,punches and weapons being thrown towards the camera. Saying that I did enjoy the film and Leung Siu-Lung and James Tien are great additions to the cast.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Handcuff (1979)  I don't how I found any faults with this the first time around, but seeing the copy Jamal made makes me want a wide screen print BAD. This is hands down, my favorite non-wuxia role of CWM's and the more I watch it, the more I find great little details (such as things an assassin would do. Katana down your pants so you look like you're limping - check. A David and Goliath way to discreetly kill a target - check. Sword cane, well of course, I mean, check.)

Chan Wai Man's Ah Keung (a.k.a. The Green Dragon)  wants to get out of the assassination business after a hit gone wrong turns many of his brothers against him. But not Ah Keung's god father whom Ah continues to work with until ... well I won't say. And there's the added complication of Ah Keung's childhood friend turned cop tracking the Green Dragon. Will these two clash? 

Some down and dirty fighting here, I love the fight between CWM and Lo Lieh. (SPOILER - if you haven't seen the film and don't want to know the outcome, don't watch this fight.) Chan does some insane stuff in this film including the notorious jumping off the high suspension bridge. He seems to really up his acting game too, but I knew he was good once I saw him play vulnerable in The Deadly Breaking Sword.   It's said that Chan had a part in writing this and was the action director (I can clearly see the latter and hats off if he wrote too. It's an excellent story.)

I would love it if Terracotta releases this in widescreen... I would buy several copies despite my all region player drama, because dang it this is a really great movie that holds your interest and ups the stakes just a little bit.

And those clothes! As much of a brilliant and wonderful fashion plate as David Chiang was back in the 1970s, good lord, CWM rocks bellbottoms like no one else. 

I love this film. Great story, very good acting, some particularly brutal fights and crazy stunts and CWM being a boss (sort of) all the way through.

---

• Like 3

Morgoth Bauglir

Definitely give Wooden Men a second watch, and a third.

• Like 2