What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Okay, I confused FIVE FIGHTERS FROM SHAOLIN with FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS.  Oops.

That sounds hilarious! They initially sound the same, but I don't remember anyone exploding or performing voodoo in Five Shaolin Masters. But seriously, if you haven't seen Five Fighters From Shaolin, you totally should. It's spectacular!

I'm not really comfortable using the word beautiful :P but it is a pretty good story of brotherhood.  Have you guys seen Ninja Hunter?  Five Fighters is aka Ninja Hunter 2. It's not a sequel, but they are similar in a lot of ways.  Jack Long plays the main villain, Mark Long is his rival and plays the heroes teacher, and Chang Shan plays a good guy.  And both movies are completely cracked out.  In the category of crazy kung fu they rank near the top.  I think Five Fighters is the better movie, but it's a tough call.  What do you think?

I haven't seen the original Ninja Hunter either. I didn't even know 5FFS was supposed to be an unofficial sequel. I bet they have nothing to do with each other. It sounds like an awesome movie though. I'll have to track it down.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't know who retitled Five Fighters Ninja Hunter 2, but I do think it is a good alternative title.  But no they don't actually have anything to do with each other.  

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Jack Long's character is very over the top spending most of his time with the ladies in his cave from what I can remember?.

Yes Jack Long gets really weird with the ladies in Ninja Hunter.  Such a crazy movie and a good watch for Halloween month.  My favorite scene is the zombie fu. 

Also I heard that Ninja Hunter combined new footage with footage from an unfinished movie, but I can't remember the whole story.  I think the zombie scene is from the unfinished movie.

I've been on an old school kick of late: Avenging Eagle; 8 Diagram Pole Fighter; Snake in the Eagle's Shadow; Drunken Master; 36 Crazy Fists; and for tonight...Dance of the Drunken Mantis.

Will any get the fight synopsis treatment?

Edited by DrNgor
Clear spaces
  • Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Will any get the fight synopsis treatment?

Hah! Maybe at some point. I'll have to sit and watch them all again.:tongueout

• Like 1

Kung Fu Zombie - Okay, this was my second Billy Chong film. Despite its strong following, I didn't enjoy it as much as Sun Dragon. And the fault can be laid at the feet of action diretor Dang Tak-Cheung (Super Power, Tiger Over Wall). There was really no reason for the film to be as undercranked as it was, especially when people as physically-talented as Chong and Kwan Yung-Moon are in the cast. Their fights had some excellent moves in them, but the speeding up just cheapened it all (honestly, I prefer Legend of the Wolf to this). It was interesting to see a kung fu comedy in which the stern father figure is actually a selfish, self-serving bastard (possibly more than the arrogant prick of a son) and whole bit about looking for bodies to put the villain's spirit into made for a unique plot. But really, if some of the fights had been slowed down and had I watched it in widescreen, I think I would've enjoyed it more.

OBS: The version I saw was 78 minutes long, but in ShaOW!LinDude's review, it runs 94 minutes. As I recall, some reviews mentioned there being nudity in the film, so I think I missed a few scenes, as the version I saw was bereft of just that.

Edited by DrNgor
Clear spaces
  • Like 5

Kung Fu Zombie - Okay, this was my second Billy Chong film. Despite its strong following, I didn't enjoy it as much as Sun Dragon. And the fault can be laid at the feet of action diretor Dang Tak-Cheung (Super Power, Tiger Over Wall). There was really no reason for the film to be as undercranked as it was, especially when people as physically-talented as Chong and Kwan Yung-Moon are in the cast. Their fights had some excellent moves in them, but the speeding up just cheapened it all (honestly, I prefer Legend of the Wolf to this). It was interesting to see a kung fu comedy in which the stern father figure is actually a selfish, self-serving bastard (possibly more than the arrogant prick of a son) and whole bit about looking for bodies to put the villain's spirit into made for a unique plot. But really, if some of the fights had been slowed down and had I watched it in widescreen, I think I would've enjoyed it more.

OBS: The version I saw was 78 minutes long, but in ShaOW!LinDude's review, it runs 94 minutes. As I recall, some reviews mentioned there being nudity in the film, so I think I missed a few scenes, as the version I saw was bereft of just that.

Its a pain when the under cranking ruins good fight choreography. I like Kwan Yung Moon, does he get much screen time in this one Doc?.

Its a pain when the under cranking ruins good fight choreography. I like Kwan Yung Moon, does he get much screen time in this one Doc?.

He gets to participate in the film's two major set pieces, plus gets a few other scenes in, including one where he literally kicks a guy's head off and drinks the blood spurting out of the wound.

• Like 4

He gets to participate in the film's two major set pieces, plus gets a few other scenes in, including one where he literally kicks a guy's head off and drinks the blood spurting out of the wound

He takes no prisoners in this one then. I'll get round to seeing Kung Fu Zombie but its not high up on my priority list.

Edited by DragonClaws

I agree 100% with your review Doc. Bully Chong and Kwan Yeung Moon could have been one of the greatest fights ever, but is spoiled by the under cranking. It was still highly entertaining, but truly is held back by the crazy under cranking.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Totally disagree!  I think the undercranking was done perfectly.  It gives the first Chong Vs KYM fight such a high energy.  Undercranking bugs me in a lot of movies like Legend of the Wolf, but not KF Zombie.  The only thing I don't like about that fight is that they interrupt it to show Chan Lau spying.  But Chan Lau is great in KF Zombie so I can partially excuse it.  

Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu

This isn't intended to be a review, I'm just gonna ramble.. :-)

Dammit this movie is awesome. Halfway through, I felt it was so-so, but by the end, I succumbed to its charm and silliness. (the bad ass fighting helped too)

So yeah it basically doesn't have a plot, but who cares when its filled with good fights and training scenes. This movie is crazy, but not crazy enough for the weird Fu thread. Yes it has scenes like a guy "head butting" another man which results in the mans body splitting in half and both halves FLYING across the screen... But that's part of why its so weird... It feels like such a normal kung fu movie most the time, then something like that happens, or Alexander Lo Rei wrestles down a real bull(Yeah he just shot up like 10x in the possible real life badass kung fu actor rankings for me)... There is also the happy children chant soundtrack, and the ridiculous costumes. A couple of examples, one guy has shoulder pads and chainmail sleeves, but nothing on his torso; Another is wearing what may as well be a Wheres Waldo onesie, more on him in a bit.

I don't know why, but the scene immediately after the lead villain breaks out of his...cage?, was hilarious to me. It abruptly cuts from him breaking out, to his back facing the camera wearing a vest suit and fedora as his men "dress him" or something.. He looked so "cool", I lost it.. I actually rewound it a couple of times, rofl. 

The casts consists mostly of the supporting cast of Shaolin vs Lama, then obviously Alexander Lo Rei. Robert Tai and Wang Chi Sang did a good job with the action, (as expected) it is varied and very good. I don't know most of the cast by name, and the few I do, didn't get much screen time. (William Yen, Wang Chi Sang). Anyway everyone involved was pretty awesome. I didn't recognize the girl(Hilda Lui?), but she was very impressive, Kim Fan also stood out whenever he was on screen, his jump kicks were crazy! (hes another new one to me). The lead villain was pretty good too, and surprisingly agile for being a pretty big guy. The kids were all impressive, especially their Buddha formations, some serious physical ability there, with that said, they didn't do much real choreographed fighting. Every main villain died by some kind of a lame gimmick, and sometimes the action was too zoomed in (on my dvd at least), those are my only complaints.

Now back to my guy, who I'll call Waldo for now. Who the hell is this guy? He is awesome, acrobatic, kicking, hand to hand, weapons this guy lit it up every time he is on the screen. I need to see more. He also put on an extremely impressive display with a chain weapon (chain with claw on the end of it.), which you don't see often, as it is clearly a hard one to look good using without the help of editing.

I liked it, very entertaining, and I'll watch it again some time. It is no Shaolin vs Llama, but bears some similarities, such as silly costumes, monks, chicken, and of course the cast.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 4

I like KFZ  but I certainly don't it as much as others on the forum mainly because it makes so little sense and was maybe a bit underwhelming (at least compared to my expectations). It's a mess, but a fun mess. I've heard that the 94-minute Mandarin version actually makes a bit more sense.

Also, I actually didn't mind the undercranking in this movie. I almost felt that it was kinda fitting to the eccentric, energetic pacing. Also, A Fist Full of Talons is still my favorite Billy Chong movie. I've said that more than enough times.

• Like 3

Morgoth Bauglir

The longer version of KFZ is better, but I don't understand a lot of the stuff that happens in these black magic type movies.  I just sit back and enjoy the insanity.  

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'm looking forward to your review of FEN, your favorite movie of all time.

LOL  I was not a fan initially,  took me a few viewings to fully understand and enjoy it. Or you know, get past  McDonaldland Fruit Pie tree ninjas. :cool

And long may you continue to profess your admiration for A Fist Full of Talons. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I finish off both my HK horror set and my introduction to Billy Chong with:

Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave (1982)

A voice-over in the beginning informs us that the 7th month is the month in which the spirits of the dead are allowed to rise from their graves and roam free for a limited period of time. It is during one of said months that a young kung fu fighter (Billy Chong) is visited by the ghost of his dad, who tells him to head over to a village and avenge his death and find his body so that he can have a proper burial. Chong’s mother warns him that his uncles used to send men over to the place to investigate tales of the supernatural, but none of them ever returned. Arriving in the village, we discover that the town bad guy (Lo Lieh) has employed a black magic sorcerer (assistant action director Addy Sung) to perform a series of rites on him so that he can become invincible, thus protecting him from people with vendettas…on both sides of the grave. Chong teams up with a government agent (Alan Chui, who doubled as the film’s action director), a dead body collector, and a ghost wrangler working at the local temple and seeks to bring Lo Lieh and the sorcerer to justice.

For the most part, this is a more conventional (and more technically polished) follow-up to Kung Fu Zombie. Gone is the bizarre supernatural humor, effed-up family dynamics, undercranked (yet brutal) fight action, strong graphic violence and all-around weirdness. Alan Chui’s action is a lot more grounded and mannered than Dang Tak-Cheung’s proto-90s wire-fu, but it certainly entertaining in its own right. Billy Chow gets to show off his kicking skills in a more acrobatic way, although his handwork remains as basic as it was in the other movies I’ve seen from him. While the presence of Kwan Yung-Moon is missed, the penultimate fight, a 3-on-1 between Chong, Chui, Addy Sung and another guy is both elaborate and brutal, plus it ends with a great line: “Three against one? I didn’t expect to come out alive.” There are lots of ghosts, flying objects and bloody rituals, and the latter involves cutting the hearts (offscreen) of couples who are in the middle of coitus. There’s a brief bit of full frontal female nudity on display here, for those who like that sort of thing (and unlike two of the other movies I saw this month that had that on display, it’s in a “consensual context”). The most famous sequence comes about midway through when Chong and some ghostly friends try to kill the sorcerer, who responds by summoning Dracula himself. It’s certainly goofy, but thankfully was placed in the middle and not at the climax. I found it more entertaining on the whole than Kung Fu Zombie, but I may be in the minority here.

• Like 5

Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu

This isn't intended to be a review, I'm just gonna ramble.. :-)

Dammit this movie is awesome. Halfway through, I felt it was so-so, but by the end, I succumbed to its charm and silliness. (the bad ass fighting helped too)

So yeah it basically doesn't have a plot, but who cares when its filled with good fights and training scenes. This movie is crazy, but not crazy enough for the weird Fu thread. Yes it has scenes like a guy "head butting" another man which results in the mans body splitting in half and both halves FLYING across the screen... But that's part of why its so weird... It feels like such a normal kung fu movie most the time, then something like that happens, or Alexander Lo Rei wrestles down a real bull(Yeah he just shot up like 10x in the possible real life badass kung fu actor rankings for me)... There is also the happy children chant soundtrack, and the ridiculous costumes. A couple of examples, one guy has shoulder pads and chainmail sleeves, but nothing on his torso; Another is wearing what may as well be a Wheres Waldo onesie, more on him in a bit.

I don't know why, but the scene immediately after the lead villain breaks out of his...cage?, was hilarious to me. It abruptly cuts from him breaking out, to his back facing the camera wearing a vest suit and fedora as his men "dress him" or something.. He looked so "cool", I lost it.. I actually rewound it a couple of times, rofl. 

The casts consists mostly of the supporting cast of Shaolin vs Lama, then obviously Alexander Lo Rei. Robert Tai and Wang Chi Sang did a good job with the action, (as expected) it is varied and very good. I don't know most of the cast by name, and the few I do, didn't get much screen time. (William Yen, Wang Chi Sang). Anyway everyone involved was pretty awesome. I didn't recognize the girl(Hilda Lui?), but she was very impressive, Kim Fan also stood out whenever he was on screen, his jump kicks were crazy! (hes another new one to me). The lead villain was pretty good too, and surprisingly agile for being a pretty big guy. The kids were all impressive, especially their Buddha formations, some serious physical ability there, with that said, they didn't do much real choreographed fighting. Every main villain died by some kind of a lame gimmick, and sometimes the action was too zoomed in (on my dvd at least), those are my only complaints.

Now back to my guy, who I'll call Waldo for now. Who the hell is this guy? He is awesome, acrobatic, kicking, hand to hand, weapons this guy lit it up every time he is on the screen. I need to see more. He also put on an extremely impressive display with a chain weapon (chain with claw on the end of it.), which you don't see often, as it is clearly a hard one to look good using without the help of editing.

I liked it, very entertaining, and I'll watch it again some time. It is no Shaolin vs Llama, but bears some similarities, such as silly costumes, monks, chicken, and of course the cast.

Good post Paimiefist.

I bought this one on the strength of Shaolin VS Lama too & your thoughts on the film pretty much match how I felt about it on my first viewing.

I finish off both my HK horror set and my introduction to Billy Chong with:

Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave (1982)

A voice-over in the beginning informs us that the 7th month is the month in which the spirits of the dead are allowed to rise from their graves and roam free for a limited period of time. It is during one of said months that a young kung fu fighter (Billy Chong) is visited by the ghost of his dad, who tells him to head over to a village and avenge his death and find his body so that he can have a proper burial. Chong’s mother warns him that his uncles used to send men over to the place to investigate tales of the supernatural, but none of them ever returned. Arriving in the village, we discover that the town bad guy (Lo Lieh) has employed a black magic sorcerer (assistant action director Addy Sung) to perform a series of rites on him so that he can become invincible, thus protecting him from people with vendettas…on both sides of the grave. Chong teams up with a government agent (Alan Chui, who doubled as the film’s action director), a dead body collector, and a ghost wrangler working at the local temple and seeks to bring Lo Lieh and the sorcerer to justice.

For the most part, this is a more conventional (and more technically polished) follow-up to Kung Fu Zombie. Gone is the bizarre supernatural humor, effed-up family dynamics, undercranked (yet brutal) fight action, strong graphic violence and all-around weirdness. Alan Chui’s action is a lot more grounded and mannered than Dang Tak-Cheung’s proto-90s wire-fu, but it certainly entertaining in its own right. Billy Chow gets to show off his kicking skills in a more acrobatic way, although his handwork remains as basic as it was in the other movies I’ve seen from him. While the presence of Kwan Yung-Moon is missed, the penultimate fight, a 3-on-1 between Chong, Chui, Addy Sung and another guy is both elaborate and brutal, plus it ends with a great line: “Three against one? I didn’t expect to come out alive.” There are lots of ghosts, flying objects and bloody rituals, and the latter involves cutting the hearts (offscreen) of couples who are in the middle of coitus. There’s a brief bit of full frontal female nudity on display here, for those who like that sort of thing (and unlike two of the other movies I saw this month that had that on display, it’s in a “consensual context”). The most famous sequence comes about midway through when Chong and some ghostly friends try to kill the sorcerer, who responds by summoning Dracula himself. It’s certainly goofy, but thankfully was placed in the middle and not at the climax. I found it more entertaining on the whole than Kung Fu Zombie, but I may be in the minority here.

Having not seen that many Billy Chong titles its been interesting reading your thoughts on two of them.

Ive got the Meng Fei film Guy With Secret Kung Fu (1981) lined up for my Halloween Fu fix. This ones new to me so I'm looking forward to putting it on late Saterday night after a couple of horror titles.

Ive got the Meng Fei film Guy With Secret Kung Fu (1981) lined up for my Halloween Fu fix. This ones new to me so I'm looking forward to putting it on late Saterday night after a couple of horror titles.

I watched this one years ago, probably around 2009 or so, but I don't remember much. It has a made up frog style in it that would be good for this month's theme. There's also a villainess who marries men and kills them after consummating the marriage. I recall her spending most of the film lusting after Meng Fei's short cudgel.

• Like 1

I watched this one years ago, probably around 2009 or so, but I don't remember much. It has a made up frog style in it that would be good for this month's theme. There's also a villainess who marries men and kills them after consummating the marriage. I recall her spending most of the film lusting after Meng Fei's short cudgel.

Short cudgel lol, if I end up writing enough for a review Ill add ill post it in the reviews forum. I might be bit late for this months theme by the time I get round to writing up my thoughts. Sounds like it will be entertaining and it cant be any worse than the last film I caught Ninja Empire.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Definitely not classic, but Triumph by Two Kung Fu Arts (1977)  I appreciate the filmmakers wanting to take a soap opera tact with this one, but half the movie is mother and son whining about taking revenge for the death of the husband / father and not doing squat. Eventually, Ti (Chan Wai Man) snaps out of his depression, gets his kung fu groove back and seeks revenge. 

Everyone has bad movies in their dossiers. This is one of those: very little kung fu,  lots of one note drama.  I knew the film lost my interest when I was more preoccupied with checking if Chan had his dragon back tattoo by this point. (Yes, though the back tattoo early in was a fake.)

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Just finished When Tae Kwon Do Strikes (1973). Not sure if I caught the proper fight styles for the Japanese (for one of my November Mutual reviews), but this was solid and to the point. Fun to see Sammo get his hind handed to him by Angela and Anne Winton. What a pro! 

Of course, with Broken Oath (1977)  being on the same disc as WTKDS, I had to rewatch and that is what is in right now. Trying to discern if this is a slightly better print than the original Fortune Star release. Oh who am I kidding?!? I frakkin LOVE Chan Wai Man in this one. 

• Like 1

Fistful of Talons

This movie was a blast. The plot is very straight forward, but the action is fantastic, and there is some effective comedy throughout as well. The tone reminds me of Deadly Breaking Sword, in that is was very dark with bits of comedy mixed in.. (I suppose many Sun Chung flicks feel this way to me though.) Billy Chong is just excellent here. The best way for me to describe him and his performance here is by comparing him to another actor...Yuen Biao. I don't think I need to say much more. He can do it all, and shows it here excellently. He also shows a knack for comedy throughout as well. One scene where he is talking to someone and tosses a piece of trash behind him hitting another guy in the face had me cracking up, although it was simple. While the plot was thin, the fantastic fighting, and solid acting throughout made it a great easy watch.

The rest of the fighting cast does a good job as well, but mostly serve to be Billy Chongs punching bags. I was hoping to see a sick match up between Billy and Chang Shan, but it wasn't meant to be, as Chang didn't get much to do here. Whang In-Shik was of course great in the little time he had, mainly at the end. While the finale was awesome, it really wasn't my favorite scene or fight of the movie.. The fights earlier in the movie gave Billy Chong more of a chance to strut his stuff, and Sun Chung was doing great work with the camera.. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to film, but the camera work during the action in this film really stood out to me. Sun Chung uses many angles and dynamic moving camera shots to follow the action, and it is coupled with very fluent and athletic choreography and performances from the actors to great effect. Actually, one of my favorite scenes was very early in the movie. Where I'll assume Billy Chong was doubling for Pai Ying, and just beats the hell out of a few guys, as he tosses his sword under his leg, catches it, etc.. Was very neat and impressive stuff, from whoever was doubling Pai Ying..

As in most Sun Chung movies, the atmosphere is very dark due to the sets and music used. Most of the soundtrack was just atmospheric background music, but there was one track that played a couple times that I loved. Does anyone know what this one was? It was during a scene where Billy Chong was riding a horse through a field and another when he was training. It sounded familiar to me.

Anyway, awesome movie, I'll be watching it again for sure. I'd say this is my favorite Billy Chong movie and performance. Thanks @KenHashibe for the many recommendations.

• Like 6

Fistful of Talons

This movie was a blast. The plot is very straight forward, but the action is fantastic, and there is some effective comedy throughout as well. The tone reminds me of Deadly Breaking Sword, in that is was very dark with bits of comedy mixed in.. (I suppose many Sun Chung flicks feel this way to me though.) Billy Chong is just excellent here. The best way for me to describe him and his performance here is by comparing him to another actor...Yuen Biao. I don't think I need to say much more. He can do it all, and shows it here excellently. He also shows a knack for comedy throughout as well. One scene where he is talking to someone and tosses a piece of trash behind him hitting another guy in the face had me cracking up, although it was simple. While the plot was thin, the fantastic fighting, and solid acting throughout made it a great easy watch.

Anyway, awesome movie, I'll be watching it again for sure. I'd say this is my favorite Billy Chong movie and performance. Thanks @KenHashibe for the many recommendations.

I agree with most of your review. I love this movie and I'm very glad you enjoyed it, @paimeifist. I love how atmospheric this movie is. Just wait until you see it in widescreen. Hopefully a widescreen version will soon see the light of day.

• Like 2