What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
I'm clearly in a minority here, but I don't think The Blood Brothers is that great of a movie - I would put it very low on my ranking, though it's still not entirely bad.

Ti Lung plays a rather interesting character (and it's not everyday you see him with a moustache) and David Chiang has a very developped and very three-dimensional character, but the unsettling tone and the very bitter ending (mixed with a relative lack of action, and the little there is isn't that great) are elements that really put me off with this one.

I agree with you Godfrey Ho worshipper. Some strong performances, but the tone and ending also killed this one for me. You astutely nailed how this one missed the mark. Oh well.

Project A (1983) - I haven't seen this in forever, but Dick Wei stole this movie away from Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao. This was the first film I've seen Wei's Tae Kwon Do prowess in and, holy crap, the man is brutal. His pirate chief was hilarious too (the peek-a-boo(B) moment nearly made me fall out of my computer chair laughing.)

I just recently watched The Challenger with Tsui siu keung & David chiang with Philip Kao Fei as the antagonist.already owned it own vhs years ago but to see it restored on dvd was worth it.That movie has All three men in top form especially Kao fei showing off his Eagle's claw and snake style while simutaneously fighting Tsui siu keng using leopard fist and David chiang using monkey style.There's a good dose of comedy infused with the plot and Lily Li from shaw bros pops up in there as well.

It's worth owning and watching to those who like the old style of kung fu movies.

Edited by kokuryuha
Corrected spelling error
  • Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I really enjoyed The Challenger.  David Chiang, Norman Chu, Lily Li and Ko Fei make a great quartet.

Talking about those four together, I just about lost my mind over The Loot.  Rewatched a crappy boot of The Loot this weekend, because it's so entertaining, fun, funny and the fights are awesome.

• Like 2

The Challenger is an awesome flick. I need to revisit it. I just saw it for the first time sometime in the last year, and watched the finale two or three times, haha! As you say Koku, all of the stars were in top form, especially David Chiang. Probably the only fighting performance I have seen of his on par or maybe better than in "Shaolin Mantis.".

Note: I have not seen the Loot, but have heard only great things.

test edit

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Challenger is an awesome flick. I need to revisit it. I just saw it for the first time sometime in the last year, and watched the finale two or three times, haha! As you say Koku, all of the stars were in top form, especially David Chiang. Probably the only fighting performance I have seen of his on par or maybe better than in "Shaolin Mantis.".

Note: I have not seen the Loot, but have heard only great things.

test edit

Chiang tops his Challenger work in The Loot...(and even goofs on his work in Shaolin Mantis in it too) :)  

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

I just saw The Challenger for the first time this morning. I thought it was fantastic. Amazing fight scenes and even some genuinely funny moments. I'm a big fan of David Chiang and Norman Chu, and they were both excellent in this movie. I still haven't seen The Loot, but I'll need to track it down.

Also, it's great to be back!

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I just saw The Challenger for the first time this morning. I thought it was fantastic. Amazing fight scenes and even some genuinely funny moments. I'm a big fan of David Chiang and Norman Chu, and they were both excellent in this movie. I still haven't seen The Loot, but I'll need to track it down.

Also, it's great to be back!

Nice to see you Ken ( BTW your signature gif makes me LOL every time I see it.)

The Challenger is a lot of fun, due to the discussions here was watching it again on the way home and tried not to laugh in the train's "quiet car." (So hard.)  I agree David Chiang and Norman Chu have great chemistry. 

Oh something to whet the appetites of folks who haven't seen The Loot: (I won't post the final fight because there's massive spoilers in that.)

but enjoy this little bit: 

Chiang vs. Ko Fei

I want blu ray releases of both movies...(and Shaolin Mantis too. A girl can dream right?)

• Like 3

Nice to see you Ken ( BTW your signature gif makes me LOL every time I see it.)

Thanks. I love the signature too. The character in it is called Funassyi if you're wondering.

The Challenger is a lot of fun, due to the discussions here was watching it again on the way home and tried not to laugh in the train's "quiet car." (So hard.)  I agree David Chiang and Norman Chu have great chemistry. 

I love the part from The Challenger where Norman Chu explains why he wants to get his revenge. I love how one of the funniest scenes from the movie is immediately followed by probably the most dramatic scene from the movie. I wish David Chiang and Norman Chu had starred alongside each other in more films.

Oh something to whet the appetites of folks who haven't seen The Loot: (I won't post the final fight because there's massive spoilers in that.)

I'll admit, I've seen the final fight from The Loot many, many, many times though I haven't seen the entire movie. I agree, major spoilers, but I couldn't resist. Can you blame me? Excellent finale!

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Nope cannot blame you one bit for rewatching the finale of The Loot. I watched it several times before I saw the whole film too. 

I agree, shame David Chiang and Norman Chu did not star in more films together. They really clicked in character and in  working off of each other's martial skills.

Runs off to look up Funassyi.  OH LOLOLOL 

• Like 1

Runs off to look up Funassyi.  OH LOLOLOL 

Typical reaction.

The Loot has been very high on my "Movies to Watch" list, but I've never been able to find a copy of it. My search continues.

@bearpower Mantis Fist & Tiger Claws of Shaolin is such a strange and uncomfortable movie. It gives me a headache just thinking about it. It's not a bad movie per se, but it's just incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

• Like 1

Typical reaction.

The Loot has been very high on my "Movies to Watch" list, but I've never been able to find a copy of it. My search continues.

@bearpower Mantis Fist & Tiger Claws of Shaolin is such a strange and uncomfortable movie. It gives me a headache just thinking about it. It's not a bad movie per se, but it's just incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

Found it on ebay on The  Shaw Legends Pack (DVD) The Loot, Gallant Boxer, 800 Heroes, Deadly Roulette  for 9.99

• Like 1

Found it on ebay on The  Shaw Legends Pack (DVD) The Loot, Gallant Boxer, 800 Heroes, Deadly Roulette  for 9.99

Widescreen? I've heard that The Loot is in Chinese w/ subs on that DVD. Can you verify?

Shaolin Mantis in glorious HD. 

I can tell that you're a fan of that movie. I'd say A Fist Full of Talons is a movie that I've always wanted to get released in widescreen at least.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

I can tell that you're a fan of that movie. I'd say A Fist Full of Talons is a movie that I've always wanted to get released in widescreen at least.

You and almost everyone else who has a fullscreen version of that film.  Great and fun movie.  You do not hear much negative verse on that film.

• Like 2

Snake Deadly Act - Wilson Tong was terrific. 

Its a good one, I'm planning to cover this title for this months review theme.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Its a good one, I'm planning to cover this title for this months review theme.

Looking forward to your review DragonClaws.

Thanks Lady Jin Szu, hope the film is a good as I recall it. Just had a seven day break from Martial Arts flicks so I'm ready for some old school action.

I see this DVD set is from Videoasia. I've had bad experience with Videoasia DVD's in the past, particularly with Big Boss Of Shanghai and Duel Of Ultimate Weapons DVD's. They were defective and when I exchanged them, they still had problems playing correctly. After trying to play them on different DVD players, they still did not play all the way through and I tossed them. Buyer beware of anything from Videoasia...

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Those old Videoasia releases play differently on different players.  And sometimes the disc stops playing correctly after a couple years. I used to have that 4 pack with The Loot and it's not worth getting.  Major blurring/ghosting problems.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

Those old Videoasia releases play differently on different players.  And sometimes the disc stops playing correctly after a couple years. I used to have that 4 pack with The Loot and it's not worth getting.  Major blurring/ghosting problems.

Welcome back, Morgoth. Great to have you back. :hvb_greetings:

• Like 2