What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

The Tournament – my first real taste of Angela Mao , I think? She was pretty damn good! I do feel the film climaxed from an action point of view midway through the film with her fighting the Japanese, then Sammo and then three other guys but it was still a good film.

The tai seng version is pan & scan and english dubbed, I believe the Eastern Heroes version is not dubbed?

I'll try and remember to check later but I'm pretty sure the Eastern Heroes version of The Victim is dubbed in the Sammo doublebill release

• Like 1

I watched Shaolin & Wu Tang and Shaolin vs. Lama the other day.

It is my dream for these two films to be properly remastered and released in widescreen,

• Like 1

I'll try and remember to check later but I'm pretty sure the Eastern Heroes version of The Victim is dubbed in the Sammo doublebill release

It is indeed in English dub with a letterbox widescreen image.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

Showdown at the Cottonmill - Some of Tan's best leg work and Chin Kuan Chun's animal style handwork. A true classic in the oldschool genre!

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

The Angry Fist AKA Iron Ox, The Tiger Killer (1974)

Planning to post a review of this one. Coming... Near... Soon. :xd:

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

Besides Shaolin Drunk Fighter which I wrote about in the review section I happened upon another South Korea "classic" Invincible Obsessed Fighter (1982: Kim Jung-yong) which Mark Pollard reviewed on this site. I also saw the HK Sleeping Fist which I liked quite a bit even thought it was highly influenced by Drunken Master :D. I'm a fan of Beardy (Leung Kar-yan) so it was great seeing him as a lead with Simon Yuen.

• Like 1

Knockabout. Man, what a cast, creme of the crop!! I loved everybodys fu, but Samos monkey fist just doesnt do anything for me at all.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
Knockabout. Man, what a cast, creme of the crop!! I loved everybodys fu, but Samos monkey fist just doesnt do anything for me at all.

I love Sammo's monkey fist, especially in "Encounters of the Spooky Kind."

• Like 1

Shaolin Vs. Lama, great!! :nerd:

Allright, so I go onto youtube to try and get some names of the people I saw in Shaolin vs Lama. I liked the guy that wore a mini skull on his forhead, (anyone know who Im talkin about?) and I find this movie clip also labeled Shaolin vs Lama. I dont recall this scene. Is this a differnt movie than the SVL I saw or is the version I have cut? The version I have IS kind of shakey and Id like to have a nicer version. Im guessing there are AKA titles for these movies, can anyone tell me about these movies? Here is the clip of the movie I did NOT see.

CAZVv6e9TTM

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

In the last month I've watched these oldies. 8 DIAGRAM FIGHTER, DAGGERS 8, 8 MASTERS, & 4 HANDS OF DEATH.

The first three were quite good, esp. DAGGERS 8. Some fantastic fu in that one.

4HOD, however, was hard to sit through. The comedy aspect just got super annoying for me. There were moments of really good choreography and physical feats of agility, but overall it just bored me. I ff'ed to the fight scenes and then had to ff through some of the slapstick.

• Like 1

In the last month I've watched these oldies. 8 DIAGRAM FIGHTER, DAGGERS 8, 8 MASTERS, & 4 HANDS OF DEATH.

4HOD, however, was hard to sit through. The comedy aspect just got super annoying for me. There were moments of really good choreography and physical feats of agility, but overall it just bored me. I ff'ed to the fight scenes and then had to ff through some of the slapstick.

Glad to see you're mostly enjoying some old school movies SD.:bigsmile: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter was very good imho and really want to see Daggers 8.

Did I miss you're comments on Incredible Kung Fu Master?

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
Did I miss you're comments on Incredible Kung Fu Master?

I don't recall ever posting any. I thought I'd never seen the movie before but I actually have it on vhs under the title Enter the Phat Dragon (a play on Enter the Fat Dragon because it has Sammo in it).

I really like Incredible Kung Fu Master. There are just some great training sequences in it and the fu is good for the most part. Some of the comedy gets old. Wei Tung has some great skills and Sammo's always fun to watch. The end fight is good but seems to get a little wacky at times.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I attempted to watch "Fists and Guts" today. Nope...couldn't do it. Some of the fights were great but the "comedy" is so persistent and aggravating it just ruins the whole film.

I'm not having much luck recently. I've been watching so many films I've given up on.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

See now, I remember F&G as being a killer movie. I don't recall any comedy aspects to it. Guess I need to dig that one out for another watch. But I'm having the same difficulty as you. I could really do without some of the slapstick that got wedged into these sometimes. There are moments where it's done right, other times I'm just mumbling, "Okay, please stop that now....Enough already!"

• Like 1

I attempted to watch "Fists and Guts" today. Nope...couldn't do it. Some of the fights were great but the "comedy" is so persistent and aggravating it just ruins the whole film.

I'm not having much luck recently. I've been watching so many films I've given up on.

This one had great fights and horrible un-funny filler save for one or two gags. The final fight is top-notch! If you turned it off before the final fight DM, I would encourage you to put it back in just for the finale.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

The One-Armed Boxer (1972: Jimmy Wang Yu) Hong Kong/Taiwan

I am a big fan of the sequel Master of the Flying Guillotine (aka One-armed Boxer vs. the Flying Guillotine (1976)) which is one of my favorite martial art films of the 1970s. I finally got around to watching this one (unfortunately no good DVD of it exists in R1/R0; there is a Legendary Collection VCD of it though.) This was made in Taiwan, but co-produced and distributed by Hong Kong’s Golden Harvest who were doing quite well during this year (Bruce Lee’s beloved Fist of Fury had already been out earlier that year). Wang Yu’s directed films do not always contain good martial artists nor exquisite story or direction, but there is always something fascinating and fun about them even though I notice he does repeat himself quite often.

The weakness of some of the martial artists is evident, especially with the “Thai” fighters (compare the Thai fighters here compared to the later Yu film Return of the Chinese Boxer) and Wang Yu’s kicks (and punches) but with a coherent storyline, a large body-count and a plethora of fighters with various fighting styles this is a fun film. Wang Yu is the star pupil of his martial arts school who gets into fights to protect the weak, but also antagonizes a neighboring school of martial artists that want to take over the whole territory where they can operate their drugs and prostitution without resistence. Yu’s embarrasses the thugs by beatdown and ultimately it leads them to outsource to a variety of hired fighters from Tibetian monks, several Japanese fighters including one with fangs (Lung Fei), Thai fighters and a yogi who fights on his hands. They are a surly lot. This leads to one of the basic patterns in martial art films: humiliation (of teacher and/or self), recovery, training and then revenge. Oh but what revenge.

Recommended for kung-fu fans.

ONE ARMED LEGACY : How Wang Yu single-handedly created an icon. By Bey Logan

On a side-note: is there any good information (web article or books or magazine) on the lawsuit between Shaw Brothers and Wang Yu. There is so much speculation, rumor, etc... I've looked through quite a few books and too many web sites looking for more information on this.

• Like 1

The last old school films I watched were around the time that Lau Kar-Leung and Jim Kelly passed away:

The Ming Patriots - probably Lau's least distinctive work as an action director

Secret of Shaolin Poles - Entertaining, but it wasted Dorian Tan

Tattoo Connection - Great fighting, too much woman-hating sleaze.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've seen Daggers 8. I have a crappy boot of it, but I still find it very entertaining.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've seen Daggers 8. I have a crappy boot of it, but I still find it very entertaining.

It has some of the best kung fu I've seen from Lily Li and Alan Chui was magnificent in his scene.

• Like 1