What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

masterofoneinchpunch
Okay, so it's 1972, thanks masterofoneinchpunch. :smile:

Have you seen Return of the Chinese Boxer? That's quite a fun Jimmy Wang Yu film as well. I think the Thai fighters come off better in that one. Though expect to see Lung Fei and many other ideas from previous films of his.

Now few films I like as much as Master of the Flying Guillotine. I saw that film several times before I saw One-Armed Boxer so it is a rare case of liking the later film (sequel) over the older one.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Have you seen Return of the Chinese Boxer? That's quite a fun Jimmy Wang Yu film as well. I think the Thai fighters come off better in that one. Though expect to see Lung Fei and many other ideas from previous films of his.

No, but I read of it. I think Thai fighters were also featured in a movie starring Angela Mao (The Tournament ?), though I don't know if they are represented the same way.

Now few films I like as much as Master of the Flying Guillotine. I saw that film several times before I saw One-Armed Boxer so it is a rare case of liking the later film (sequel) over the older one.

Saw MOTFG before OAB too, and I must say I liked MOTFG a bit more than OAB.

• Like 1

My first MA of May turned out to not be appropriate for the May Mutual Review, section, so I'll post my thoughts here:

Chinese Kung Fu Against Godfather (1974)

aka Fist of Fury in China

Starring: Cliff Lok, Eddie Ko, Lee Kwan

Director: Lee Tso-Nam

Action Director: Chan Siu-Pang

I watched this hoping for na early 70s basher/Triad film, but got something akin to Way of the Dragon 2 instead. There were a few of these movies made in the 70s in the Wake of the success of Bruce Lee's classic, like Leung Siu-Lung's Kidnap in Rome and this. While a spectre of its inspiration hangs over the proceedings (ex. Lee Kwan was in The Big Boss; the alternate title is obviously a cash-in, and Bruce Lee is even mentioned once in the film), this movie does try to be its own creature and actually does some things better than Way of the Dragon.

Cliff Wong plays Tong Shan, a kung fu expert from Hong Kong who has arrived in Amsterdam to make his fortune. He's received by his brother, Charles (Eddie Ko) and is put to work at Charles' Chinese restaurant. One day, Charles asks Tong Shang to make a delivery for him. When Tong discovers that the object being delivered is narcotics, he beats up the dealers, throws the drugs into the river, and goes to live with Chinese cabbie Robert Lee (Lee Kwan). Robert encourages Tong to open a kung fu school, and Tong even starts a romance with a Dutch woman (Ine Van Veen) who speaks Chinese. But it'll only be a matter of time before Charles and his gang find Tong Shan and demand their drugs back...

Comparison between this and Way of the Dragon is inevitable. The latter is, for the most part, focused on the plot of restaurant owners vs. gangsters. Here, the main conflict doesn't really step into the foreground until the second half. The first half is more of a fish-out-of-water story, showing Tong Shan's struggles to adapt to his new settings and find his place in Western culture. One amusing scene has Cliff Lok entering a chic Chinese restaurant, only to discover that nobody that works there speaks Chinese!

Lee Tso-Nam throws more sex into the film, with Lee Kwan more concerned with sleeping with every White woman he can and trying to get Cliff Lok's character laid. At one point, Cliff almost sleeps with a big-breasted blonde, but stops when he remembers his mom's request that he not bring home a European wife.

Action-wise, the film isn't bad. Kudos to Chan Siu-Pang and Lee Tso-Nam for casting non-Chinese actors who could fight, although one might wonder why Western drug dealers never use guns and why a Dutch kingpin (Jan Willem Stoker) is a martial arts máster, too. Chan Siu-Pang makes a valiant attempt to put some real technique into the fights, despite the then-current standard for flailing arms in a basher film set in the modern day. Cliff Lok gets to use his Southern Kung Fu skills a lot, and never resorts to the sort of shapes-less fighting that defined era. His main flaw as a screen fighter is that he lacks power, and thus fails to convince at times that he could beat up some of the people he does throughout the film. But I won't blame Chan Siu-Pang for that. He does a great job with what he's given to work with.

I think this would make a great double-feature with Bruce Lee's Way of the Dragon.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
My first MA of May turned out to not be appropriate for the May Mutual Review, section, so I'll post my thoughts here:

Chinese Kung Fu Against Godfather (1974)

aka Fist of Fury in China

Starring: Cliff Lok, Eddie Ko, Lee Kwan

Director: Lee Tso-Nam

Action Director: Chan Siu-Pang

I watched this hoping for na early 70s basher/Triad film, but got something akin to Way of the Dragon 2 instead. There were a few of these movies made in the 70s in the Wake of the success of Bruce Lee's classic, like Leung Siu-Lung's Kidnap in Rome and this. While a spectre of its inspiration hangs over the proceedings (ex. Lee Kwan was in The Big Boss; the alternate title is obviously a cash-in, and Bruce Lee is even mentioned once in the film), this movie does try to be its own creature and actually does some things better than Way of the Dragon.

Cliff Wong plays Tong Shan, a kung fu expert from Hong Kong who has arrived in Amsterdam to make his fortune. He's received by his brother, Charles (Eddie Ko) and is put to work at Charles' Chinese restaurant. One day, Charles asks Tong Shang to make a delivery for him. When Tong discovers that the object being delivered is narcotics, he beats up the dealers, throws the drugs into the river, and goes to live with Chinese cabbie Robert Lee (Lee Kwan). Robert encourages Tong to open a kung fu school, and Tong even starts a romance with a Dutch woman (Ine Van Veen) who speaks Chinese. But it'll only be a matter of time before Charles and his gang find Tong Shan and demand their drugs back...

Comparison between this and Way of the Dragon is inevitable. The latter is, for the most part, focused on the plot of restaurant owners vs. gangsters. Here, the main conflict doesn't really step into the foreground until the second half. The first half is more of a fish-out-of-water story, showing Tong Shan's struggles to adapt to his new settings and find his place in Western culture. One amusing scene has Cliff Lok entering a chic Chinese restaurant, only to discover that nobody that works there speaks Chinese!

Lee Tso-Nam throws more sex into the film, with Lee Kwan more concerned with sleeping with every White woman he can and trying to get Cliff Lok's character laid. At one point, Cliff almost sleeps with a big-breasted blonde, but stops when he remembers his mom's request that he not bring home a European wife.

Action-wise, the film isn't bad. Kudos to Chan Siu-Pang and Lee Tso-Nam for casting non-Chinese actors who could fight, although one might wonder why Western drug dealers never use guns and why a Dutch kingpin (Jan Willem Stoker) is a martial arts máster, too. Chan Siu-Pang makes a valiant attempt to put some real technique into the fights, despite the then-current standard for flailing arms in a basher film set in the modern day. Cliff Lok gets to use his Southern Kung Fu skills a lot, and never resorts to the sort of shapes-less fighting that defined era. His main flaw as a screen fighter is that he lacks power, and thus fails to convince at times that he could beat up some of the people he does throughout the film. But I won't blame Chan Siu-Pang for that. He does a great job with what he's given to work with.

I think this would make a great double-feature with Bruce Lee's Way of the Dragon.

Nice review, love to read about films I haven't heard about befor. Old school Kung Fu action set against the backdrop of Amsterdam sounds interesting.

Thanks guys! I'm honestly more psyched about watching these more obscure movies that few (if any) have ever heard of than I am about watching many of the classics, such as those in my collection.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Thanks guys! I'm honestly more psyched about watching these more obscure movies that few (if any) have ever heard of than I am about watching many of the classics, such as those in my collection.

I tend to have higher expectations for a film that people rate highly. Nice to see a lesser known title that turns out to be better than you expect.

masterofoneinchpunch

I was thinking about this since we all have a limited time in watching films. Now its great when you find that unknown (or semi-unknown) film that ends up being much better than you thought, but there's also that problem of finding films like Big Boss 2 (the one with Dragon Lee or Fireball) which really make you feel you could/should have seen something else.

Plus sometimes the classic film is a classic for a reason. You know when you have that feeling that I should have watched that a long time ago. Plus also classics tend to be more influential and you can connect many films (actors, directors, themes etc...) to it.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Some brief thoughts on one of the lesser known Hwang Jang Lee titles.

The Eagle's Killer

(1981)

Director- Chang Chi

Fight choreographer- Gam Ming

Starring- John Cheung, Hwang Jang Lee, Ching Pei Ling.

Made in the early 1980's The Eagles Killer would look more at home in the 70's. The style of the genre was changing at this time and this Kung Fu comedy looks older than it actually is. The version Ive caught is an old full screen dubbed Ocean Shores print. There's little going for this film and only Hwang Jang Lee's presence makes it worth a watch. The opening credits with the classic red backdrop are promising but the film that follow delivers very little. A Kung Fu comedy that drags a lot in place's especially the first twenty minutes. John Cheung plays the poor student looking for a decent master to teach him Martial Arts. His search for a master stops when he's sold into slavery by Hwang Jang Lee, master of the Eagles Claw. Soon he breaks free and find's himself an honest Master who teachers him the Eagles Fist style.

This is not the best example of a good Kung Fu comedy but does have some stand out moments. There's some nice moves on display, with some of the best examples being used in the opening credit sequence. The final fight is pretty decent and stops the film from being a complete waste of time. Id recommend this one for die hard fans of Hwang Jang Lee only.

That's pretty sad if the best moves are relegated to the opening credits sequence. I saw the final fight on Youtube years ago and wasn't terribly impressed with it. I'll eventually get around to it, as it is one of my life's missions to watch all of Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee's films, although it probably won't be soon.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
That's pretty sad if the best moves are relegated to the opening credits sequence. I saw the final fight on Youtube years ago and wasn't terribly impressed with it. I'll eventually get around to it, as it is one of my life's missions to watch all of Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee's films, although it probably won't be soon.

I didn't have high expectations but still found it disappointing. It felt it had been made in the mid to late 70's. Surprised to find out it had been made in 1981.

Tex Killer

I watched (classic?) the sword first time few days ago. I did not read any reviews/spoilers about flick during years so had impression this would be martial arts spectacle. Instead it turned out to be drama with some fighting...Clearly there is not enough stuff in martial arts department but it`s still quite enjoyable movie with great music, good actors and decent sets.

Movie I would recommend for people who are not into old skool fu but got enjoyment from "house of the flying daggers", "hero" etc..

I have to watch this again after month or so to make final opinion..

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Master Of The Flying Guillotine (HK, 1976)

Revisited this one, and man is that a GREAT flick. :bigsmile:

The blind monk might be one of my absolute favorite characters ever, he's just so epic and so psycho. And that soundtrack... The two Neu tracks they used ("Super" as the opening theme and "Super 16" as the theme of the blind monk) fit really great. I think (read this somewhere) there's also some Kraftwerk in the soundtrack, but the Neu stuff really stands out (maybe because "Super 16" plays next to every time the titular character appears on screen ?). :laluot_22:

The tournament part is also really cool, the choreography is really great and I enjoy the variety of styles displayed there. :nerd:

As opposed to Shanghai Triad (which appeared as a Triad flick so one would expect shootouts, fights and action instead of artsy drama), this one delivers the goods and even more with a crazy bad guy and his flying contraption of death, his colorful foreign sidekicks and next to non-stop action - and when you don't get action, you better not blink or you might miss the next action piece. :tongue:

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Master Of The Flying Guillotine (HK, 1976)

... And that soundtrack... The two Neu tracks they used ("Super" as the opening theme and "Super 16" as the theme of the blind monk) fit really great. I think (read this somewhere) there's also some Kraftwerk in the soundtrack, but the Neu stuff really stands out (maybe because "Super 16" plays next to every time the titular character appears on screen ?). ..:

From my review:

has his own lifted musical theme of “Super 16" by the German group Neu! (they also use “Super” by Neu! in the opening theme and “Mitternacht”, “Morgensparziergang” and “Kometenmelodie 2" by Kraftwerk in the film), throws bombs that remind me of Tim from Monty Python and the Holy Grail and carries an ingenious weapon called the Flying Guillotine,
  • Like 1

paimeifist

It seems like I see Masterof1 breaking down the soundtrack for MOTFG monthly, lol. I've been out of the Fu for a bit now...Maybe a crazy cheese double bill with this and Thunder Ninja Kids will get me back into it.

I'm glad this movie continues to live up to the hype for you GHW. Such a classic!

• Like 1

I've been out of the Fu for a bit now...Maybe a crazy cheese double bill with this and Thunder Ninja Kids will get me back into it.

I know how you feel. Now that my current writing Project is in motion, I'll probably be watching old school movies mainly for our monthly mutual reviews. Of course, if two or three of you suddenly start posting simultaneous rave reviews of The Snake Girl Drop In, then I'll have to check it out just to keep up with you all. :)

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
It seems like I see Masterof1 breaking down the soundtrack for MOTFG monthly, lol. I've been out of the Fu for a bit now...Maybe a crazy cheese double bill with this and Thunder Ninja Kids will get me back into it.

I'm glad this movie continues to live up to the hype for you GHW. Such a classic!

all for Kraftwerk funboys.

ly9fIUrvK3E

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Kung Fu Arts

(1978)

Directed by - Kuang Hui

Starring - Carter Wong, Chi Min Chin, Chan Sing, Kuang Lung Chi.

"Princess, am I the father of this boy, or is the monkey?"

This has to be one of the worst old school Martial Arts flicks I've sat through. Despite the cast including Carter Wong & Chan Sing there's little going for this film. Carter Wong plays King Chi, who has been set up to take the blame for the murder of his future father in law. He escape's punishment and goes into hiding to plot his revenge. The synopsis included in the Mill Creek 50-moive box set makes the film sound better than it actually is. This film had the potential to be good but low budget doesn't even describe this independent movie.

The film gave me the impression it had been edited down from a longer run time perhaps?. King Chi's Kung Fu training consists of one single scene. There's little in the way of Kung Fu action. What we do get isn't all that impressive. The films two stars have looked far better in other productions. Even the most die hard of Chan Sing fans will find this hard to get through. If I knew the original title I could have searched for it on the HKMDB.

Before I finish my rant I have to mention the real star of the film. A monkey that's listed in the credits as been some well known french circus act. Due to the inclusion of the ape we get some truly random moments & dialogue. For some odd reason that's never explained King Chi's love interest has to marry a monkey in his absence.

I thought Tiger Love was one of the worst old school films until watching Kung Fu Arts today. One film for Carter Wong/Chan Sing completist's only. Anyone else should stay well clear of this movie.

IMDB has Carter Wong listed as the stunt coordinator, can anyone here confirm this?.

Secret Executioner

I read (somewhere on the forum) of a movie where a girl was to marry whoever brought/found a cure to someone's condition (her father I think) and she ends marrying a monkey. Is it the same ? I think that movie also had Carter Wong in it and the person who brought it up said it was pretty bad.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Sounds like the same film GHW. The hero accidentally shoots his partner with a poison dart whilst fleeing the palace. He then sends a monkey to the palace with a cure. Then there's some nonsense about marrying the monkey. The girls father says whoever cures his daughter has to marry her. But its all very vague and they don't mention this rule applying to animals too. Next thing their on a boat sailing to an island. The woman nor the monkey guide the boat but it somehow takes them to an island lol.

Secret Executioner
Sounds like the same film GHW. The hero accidentally shoots his partner with a poison dart whilst fleeing the palace. He then sends a monkey to the palace with a cure. Then there's some nonsense about marrying the monkey. The girls father says whoever cures his daughter has to marry her. But its all very vague and they don't mention this rule applying to animals too. Next thing their on a boat sailing to an island. The woman nor the monkey guide the boat but it somehow takes them to an island lol.

Yeah, that's the one I read of. Not sure who mentionned it, but it seemed like it made no sense at all (and wasn't that good except for the insanity of that "marrying a monkey" premise).

• Like 1

It seems that all of Carter Wong's worst films (Kung Fu Arts; The Snake, The Tiger and The Crane; and Killer of Snakes, Fox of Shaolin) are in the public domain/Kung Fu Movie 50-pack. What's up with that?

• Like 1

DragonClaws
It seems that all of Carter Wong's worst films (Kung Fu Arts; The Snake, The Tiger and The Crane; and Killer of Snakes, Fox of Shaolin) are in the public domain/Kung Fu Movie 50-pack. What's up with that?

If the 50-Moive Pack films are your introduction to Carter Wong then its going to really put you off him. I haven't watched The Snake The Tiger & The Crane yet. Kung Fu Artsvhad the look and feel of a made for T.V production. There appeared to be big gaps in the story and plot. You don't get to see that much of Carter Wong until the last thirty minutes. Suddenly during one scene he declares he's been in hiding for ten years and must leave the mountain. Yet we never saw him arrive on the mountain lol. The training he does to over come Chan Sing's superior Kung Fu consists of just smashing three big vases. I'd say they have removed scene for the international print to shorten it. Or perhaps its simply bad film making?.

Yeah, that's the one I read of. Not sure who mentionned it, but it seemed like it made no sense at all (and wasn't that good except for the insanity of that "marrying a monkey" premise).

You have pretty much summed up the film with your last sentence GHW.

I've watched a few over the last couple weeks.

Crippled masters

Yao's Young Warriors

Shanghai 13

The Mars Villa

Raiders of Shaolin Temple

And Iron Monkey (1977). Wow this movie is seriously good. Had never seen it before and picked up the uncut German dvd the other day so was in for a treat. The choreography is unbelievable, especially during his fights with the Qing captains and generals. I honestly can't say how good I thought it was. It was like watching a real Kung fu demo with some seriously intricate exchanges. So so good, it's definitely one of the best classic Kung fu movies I've seen.

Any recommendations for similar style movies? Not seen the sequel. I think Heroes two did it for me in a similar way regarding more rooted kung fu...

I wanted to see Raiders because of Sonny Yu is Shanghai 13, that guys got some serious skills so was funny to see the Crippled Masters pop up again. Man their first film is WEIRD!

• Like 1