What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

DragonClaws
Nice timing, the guys over at cityonfire reviewed this one just yesterday! -

http://www.cityonfire.com/the-dragon-the-hero-aka-dragon-on-fire-1979-review/

I still have the old 80's big box U.K VHS Release of this title. One of my favorite old school Kung Fu films. I was considering doing a review of this at one point. I did a review for another site years ago but haven't saved it.

Talking of Dragon Lee, I picked up Golden Dragon, Silver Snake for a £1 yesterday.

Master of the Flying Guillotine - Far from Lau Kar Leung's best work, but darned of it isn't one the most fun kung fu movies I've ever seen.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Master of the Flying Guillotine - Far from Lau Kar Leung's best work, but darned of it isn't one the most fun kung fu movies I've ever seen.

Don't forget Lau Kar-wing was also choreographer and I believe Wang Yu had the ultimate say since he was the director (and has an ego) :D.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Kung Fu Girls AKA The Three And Half Dumb Kung Fu Girls (Taiwan, 1978)

The release I have is the French Bach Films release uner the title Le Masque infernal contre la panthère du kung-fu (The infernal mask vs the kung fu panther) though the title you get when you watch the film is Le Masque infernal contre les tigresses du kung fu[/i (The infernal mask vs the kung fu tigresses), which is much more fitting as you don't have one, but 4 fighters (one of the English title says "Three And Half" not because one of these girls is crippled, but because these girls are a very young kid and 3 young adults - 2 pairs of sisters whose parents argue to become the head of some village).

The movie itself is a pure riot:

- The French dub is horrendously funny: seems like they couldn't get 4 actual women/girls to voice the main characters - 2 girls have the same voice and the little girl sounds a bit weird (more like an adult trying to sound like a little girl).

- The soundtrack is so ridiculous I won't be able to keep a straight face hearing Rossini's William Tell Overture anymore (cause this, a silly music that fits the tone of the film and a piece that must have been stolen from an anime are the only music you'll hear throughout the film).

- the choreography is very nice (the little girl has some nice moves, but what was the point of showing all these animal styles early in the film if they aren't using them at all - guess you still get to see).

- The comedy has everything: the girls' argue like brats, there's a Scoobydoo-like chase scene, a cross-dressing that kind of backfires (remember, ladies: NEVER dress up as a guy to sneak into a brothel - heck, who would come up with such a stupid idea), some racist stuff (one henchman is a magician and when he fights the 4 main characters, he turns into an arab and uses his flute to lift the girls' dresses, flies on a magic carpet and breathes fire before becoming a blind Japanese man... All with clichee Arab or Japanese music, of course).. There's stuff for everyone, even silly sound effects such as a siren when the breathing-fire guy runs around after getting burnt.

Basically, my verdict is that this is something so bad that it's great - and strangely enough, with all the stuff that is wrong in this film, I couldn't spot any single flaw.

Other tidbit that may make me like this film more than I should: the sister of the little kid is IMO really cute.

Re-watched this one last night and I stand by my words: the comedy is hilarious (especially the part with the magician and the bickering - I wish politics were more like what goes on in the first 8 or so minutes of this film, would be much more interesting and funnier), the chick with the kid sister is really cute (why is it I find her even prettier when she's supposed to be a dude ?!), the brothel sequence is a highlight of ridiculousness, WTF and finest sexual innuendos (and... did I mention the kung fu prostitutes ? Yup, you get prostitutes who fight in this film, as though it needed another element that came out of nowhere and made no sense) and I hope whoever came up with the soundtrack will be remembered as a genius.

• Like 1

Don't forget Lau Kar-wing was also choreographer and I believe Wang Yu had the ultimate say since he was the director (and has an ego) :D.

Wang Yu and Lau Kar-Wing were frequent collaborators. I almost wonder if Lau Kar-Leung served more in an advisory capacity, especially in the more shapes-oriented fights of the film.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Wang Yu and Lau Kar-Wing were frequent collaborators. I almost wonder if Lau Kar-Leung served more in an advisory capacity, especially in the more shapes-oriented fights of the film.

This is the age-old question of trying to find out the auteur of the scene :D. Sometimes it is easy like when King Hu deferred (and admitted to) the fight scenes to Han Ying Chieh (hee hee had to mention), but most of the time, especially with multiple fight choreographers and/or an experienced fight director (unless there is an easy split between weapons and fist oriented choreographers or a specific style someone is good at) it can be hard figuring out who did what. Or at least we are mostly in speculative mode.

• Like 1

This is the age-old question of trying to find out the auteur of the scene :D. Sometimes it is easy like when King Hu deferred (and admitted to) the fight scenes to Han Ying Chieh (hee hee had to mention), but most of the time, especially with multiple fight choreographers and/or an experienced fight director (unless there is an easy split between weapons and fist oriented choreographers or a specific style someone is good at) it can be hard figuring out who did what. Or at least we are mostly in speculative mode.

True. When you watch something like Kung Fu Hustle, it's pretty easy to imagine what was Sammo's work and what was Yuen Woo-Ping's doing. Put two Lau Brothers together and it's a little more difficult to determine, especially since both were trained in the same style.

Lau Kar-Wing was also a frequent Meng Fei choreographer, and I'm thinking that it was he who convinced Chang Cheh to bring him onboard for Five Shaolin Masters.

• Like 1

A double dose of IFD Ninja films after my one-week "kung fu sabbatical":

NInja the Protector and Ninja Champion

Posting the reviews as we speak

The Leg Fighters

Not as well rounded as other great Lee Tso Nams films like Shaolin vs Lama or Fatal Needles vs Fatal Fists, but still great.. What "The Leg Fighters" does do right, it does damn right! Some fantastic fighting, particularly kick fighting of course, some amazing performances by a few cast members, solid slapstick and comedy.

Tan Tao Liang is amazing in this, and puts on one of the best kicking displays ever throughout the movie. His character is also cool as a cucumber, and about the epitome of badassery. Before saying this, I usually said he lacked explosiveness.. But he throws some roundhouses here that look like they'd send someone head flying, and some great jump kicks too!

Ha Kwong Li, who I haven't seen before is also great here.. She shows great kicks, flexibility, and even weapon skills.. Just solid performer all around and as good as any screen fighter, let alone female screen fighters! She also seemed to be a decent actress when compared the the majority of the cast here.

Peng Kong is the last true standout here, this guy is special.. He matches kicks with Tan Tao Liang, and has some awesome handwork as well.. Also mixes is in some cool throws and acrobatics. He choreographed the film as well, which was just full of great fights/slapstick scenes. Oh yeah, he also has a mean drop kick! Lol

Sun Jung Chi, was good too, but didn't get much screen time. He was basically a Sam Seed copy here but he did a great job and had some fun slap stick scenes. The god skills guy from Ninja in the Dragons Den is also pretty funny in this, and even shows some solid kicking and acrobatics. The bell twins (ding dong and dong dong?) were funny, and had some pretty awesome and crazy team-fighting! The rope-axe villain from Five Masters of Shaolin puts on the best fighting performance I have seen from him here too.

The plot is nothing great, but it isn't bad either. This movie is clearly lacking the characterization and plot of some other Lee Tso Nam flicks, but it is good/simple enough while allowing for plenty of good fighting and slapstick. The dub is fantastic, featuring some badass lines, and some hilarious lines. Ding Dongs dubbed voice sounds like Barney Rubble, which was hilarious to me.

"How about a taste of my ding dong style, that'll stop your smiling!" :xd:

The fights are good throughout, and Ha Kwong Li is pretty great, but the fights are clearly at their peak at the beginning and end respectively when Dorian Tan and Peng Kong throw down.

Anyway, great fight movie with some decent comedy. A must see for sure, with a few standout performances. I watched it two nights in a row!

• Like 2

I rewatched some of the fights from this after Reading your review. Man, Peng Kong really steals the show here, although Hsia Kwan-Li is quite impressive (she's arguably even better in Woman Avenger). I'll have to investigate more of Peng's work; I haven't seen Shaolin vs. Lama in years.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
The Leg Fighters

Not as well rounded as other great Lee Tso Nams films like Shaolin vs Lama or Fatal Needles vs Fatal Fists, but still great.. What "The Leg Fighters" does do right, it does damn right! Some fantastic fighting, particularly kick fighting of course, some amazing performances by a few cast members, solid slapstick and comedy.

Tan Tao Liang is amazing in this, and puts on one of the best kicking displays ever throughout the movie. His character is also cool as a cucumber, and about the epitome of badassery. Before saying this, I usually said he lacked explosiveness.. But he throws some roundhouses here that look like they'd send someone head flying, and some great jump kicks too!

Ha Kwong Li, who I haven't seen before is also great here.. She shows great kicks, flexibility, and even weapon skills.. Just solid performer all around and as good as any screen fighter, let alone female screen fighters! She also seemed to be a decent actress when compared the the majority of the cast here.

Peng Kong is the last true standout here, this guy is special.. He matches kicks with Tan Tao Liang, and has some awesome handwork as well.. Also mixes is in some cool throws and acrobatics. He choreographed the film as well, which was just full of great fights/slapstick scenes. Oh yeah, he also has a mean drop kick! Lol

Sun Jung Chi, was good too, but didn't get much screen time. He was basically a Sam Seed copy here but he did a great job and had some fun slap stick scenes. The god skills guy from Ninja in the Dragons Den is also pretty funny in this, and even shows some solid kicking and acrobatics. The bell twins (ding dong and dong dong?) were funny, and had some pretty awesome and crazy team-fighting! The rope-axe villain from Five Masters of Shaolin puts on the best fighting performance I have seen from him here too.

The plot is nothing great, but it isn't bad either. This movie is clearly lacking the characterization and plot of some other Lee Tso Nam flicks, but it is good/simple enough while allowing for plenty of good fighting and slapstick. The dub is fantastic, featuring some badass lines, and some hilarious lines. Ding Dongs dubbed voice sounds like Barney Rubble, which was hilarious to me.

"How about a taste of my ding dong style, that'll stop your smiling!" :xd:

The fights are good throughout, and Ha Kwong Li is pretty great, but the fights are clearly at their peak at the beginning and end respectively when Dorian Tan and Peng Kong throw down.

Anyway, great fight movie with some decent comedy. A must see for sure, with a few standout performances. I watched it two nights in a row!

Nice review Paimeifist, I nearly bought this film the other week.

You know, it's a crying shame that Peng Kong only choreographed 12 movies during his career. I'll have to check as many of them out as possible (well, the ones I haven't seen).

• Like 1

You know, it's a crying shame that Peng Kong only choreographed 12 movies during his career. I'll have to check as many of them out as possible (well, the ones I haven't seen).

Yeah, I'm on board with you there. I'll be checking out a few more soon myself, I believe there are a couple on the mill creek 50 packs. Guy is pretty amazing at choreographing as well as fighting judging by this.

DC, you should go back and buy it! Haha.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Yeah, I'm on board with you there. I'll be checking out a few more soon myself, I believe there are a couple on the mill creek 50 packs. Guy is pretty amazing at choreographing as well as fighting judging by this.

DC, you should go back and buy it! Haha.

I didn't pick it up because the cover was damaged and it was over priced for a second hand full screen print. The store clearly has no Asian film fans pricing the movies. Ill get round to watching to it:smile:.

DragonClaws

I didn't get much time to write my thoughts on this one so my comments are a little short.

The Boxer's Adventure a.k.a Militant Eagle

(1979)

Directed by- Chien Chin

Starring- Tan Tao Liang (Dorian Tan), Meng Fei, Blacky Ko, Jack Long.

"Call me a nancy boy again and Ill kill you"

Evil Yuen Si Ki is attempting to take over a Chinese province and must be stopped. Out to get him is Captain Lee (Tan Tao Liang) who goes to tiger village to enlist their three top fighters. These three men are played by legendary 70's Martial Arts regulars Jack Long, Blacky Ko & Meng Fei. As the four men go out to stop Yuen Si Ki it soon becomes clear their might be a traitor amongst them.

Boxers Adventure is a fine example of independent kung fu film making. The opening sequence is a great start to the film with all the main stars showing off their Martial Arts skills. Super kicker Tan Tao Liang is on fine form showing of his amazing leg skills. Plenty of great boot work and some really good fight choreography on display here. There’s the right balance of humor and action with some great banter between the tiger village fighters. The film isn't without its flaws and it does plod a little at the start. Well worth a watch if your fan of the cast & old school Kung Fu films.

The next old school film I'm going to watch is The Himalayan.

I didn't get much time to write my thoughts on this one so my comments are a little short.

(1979)

Directed by- Chien Chin

Starring- Tan Tao Liang (Dorian Tan), Meng Fei, Blacky Ko, Jack Long.

"Call me a nancy boy again and Ill kill you"

Evil Yuen Si Ki is attempting to take over a Chinese province and must be stopped. Out to get him is Captain Lee (Tan Tao Liang) who goes to tiger village to enlist their three top fighters. These three men are played by legendary 70's Martial Arts regulars Jack Long, Blacky Ko & Meng Fei. As the four men go out to stop Yuen Si Ki it soon becomes clear their might be a traitor amongst them.

Boxers Adventure is a fine example of independent kung fu film making. The opening sequence is a great start to the film with all the main stars showing off their Martial Arts skills. Super kicker Tan Tao Liang is on fine form showing of his amazing leg skills. Plenty of great boot work and some really good fight choreography on display here. There’s the right balance of humor and action with some great banter between the tiger village fighters. The film isn't without its flaws and it does plod a little at the start. Well worth a watch if your fan of the cast & old school Kung Fu films.

The next old school film I'm going to watch is The Himalayan.

I really need to watch this. I think I'll check it out tonight...

• Like 1

DragonClaws
I really need to watch this. I think I'll check it out tonight...

It's not the greatest Kung Fu film, but I really enjoyed it.

masterofoneinchpunch

Curious where did you get the aka? Militant Eagle is also a completely different movie (which through me off when reading this) which according to HKMDB has a Boxer's Adventure title for the Ocean Shore release. That film is not particularly good.

I watched The Eagle Fist (1981: Cheng Kei-ying) Hong Kong recently but did not feel like writing much about it. It reminded me of that thread on here about the one thing that turns you off on film when it included way too many killings of animals in the training sequence (so when the comedy came later in the film I was in no mood for it.) This is a low budget, independent film with a couple of good athletes including Cheng Kei-Ying who is director, action director and is the main sifu in this. The movie's plot feels segmented (which it is) and has not particularly good camera aesthetics. The full-screen copy also hurts the viewing of the fights which makes it more difficult to critique.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Curious where did you get the aka? Militant Eagle is also a completely different movie (which through me off when reading this) which according to HKMDB has a Boxer's Adventure title for the Ocean Shore release. That film is not particularly good.

I watched The Eagle Fist (1981: Cheng Kei-ying) Hong Kong recently but did not feel like writing much about it. It reminded me of that thread on here about the one thing that turns you off on film when it included way too many killings of animals in the training sequence (so when the comedy came later in the film I was in no mood for it.) This is a low budget, independent film with a couple of good athletes including Cheng Kei-Ying who is director, action director and is the main sifu in this. The movie's plot feels segmented (which it is) and has not particularly good camera aesthetics. The full-screen copy also hurts the viewing of the fights which makes it more difficult to critique.

This is where I found it.

Link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer%27s_Adventure

masterofoneinchpunch
This is where I found it.

Link- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer%27s_Adventure

I think that is a mix-up mistake.

Here is the Militant Eagle I'm thinking of:

mjn2BFforiI

It is available in the 4 Film Favorites: Martial Arts (Militant Eagle, Prodigal Boxer, Moonlight Sword and Jade Lion, Bloody Fist) set which I think the youtube poster just ripped it from there.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
I think that is a mix-up mistake.

Here is the Militant Eagle I'm thinking of:

mjn2BFforiI

It is available in the 4 Film Favorites: Martial Arts (Militant Eagle, Prodigal Boxer, Moonlight Sword and Jade Lion, Bloody Fist) set which I think the youtube poster just ripped it from there.

They may have made a mistake? but my knowledge of a.k.a's is limited. Id never heard about the other Militant Eagle film you mentioned.

Morgoth Bauglir

Leg Fighters and Boxer's Adventure don't get talked about a lot. But they should! Good stuff guys:smile:

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Leg Fighters and Boxer's Adventure don't get talked about a lot. But they should! Good stuff guys:smile:

I loved Blacky Ko, Meng Fei & Jack Long in Boxers Adventure they had good chemistry together.

Morgoth Bauglir
I loved Blacky Ko, Meng Fei & Jack Long in Boxers Adventure they had good chemistry together.

Yes! They are what make Boxer's Adventure so great. I think it could have been a great movie with just those 3 guys. But adding Tan Tao Liang and Lung Tien Sheng to the group doesn't hurt! This movie is my favorite performance from Mang Fei and Blacky Ko. But a special mention has to go to Jack Long. I wish he had more roles like this. No wig, no beard. Just your average badass nancy boy.

"You're dead? You died easy!"

• Like 1