What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Oh yeah, Chang Yi gets pretty disappointed when Carter Wong "fails" at that. Rofl. The movie definitely had some entertaining dub lines.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Also, you didn't answer my question about Super Dragon!

I liked it. When Phillip Ko shows up it gets awesome really quickly. And John Chang was great too. It's a star studded movie that doesn't disappoint.

More about the escape technique. It's one of my favorite things about Rebel of Shaolin. It's mainly used defensively, so that one can escape. A really cool, and funny technique. But when used for offense it is deadly. And exciting!

• Like 1

Were you quoting the movie right here? Lol.

Yeah Super Dragon was a pleasant surprise to me. I don't think I've seen it discussed here before, and there was even a Cliff Lok thread recently. Speaking of John Chang, his kicks were on point in this.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Were you quoting the movie right here? Lol.

No, I just watch a lot of kf movies. What's more, is that I watch too many. But still, I can't get enough.

• Like 1

No, I just watch a lot of kf movies. What's more, is that I watch too many. But still, I can't get enough.

You must be tired of living, you bastard!

I think that about covers all of the most common dub clichés?

• Like 1

18 Bronzemen

Very good movie. Solid fighting, good story, and The Bronzeman are very fun(especially the bulky armored ones, haha) Carter Wong owns it in both fighting and acting.. I also found it humorous that Carter Wongs character basically emasculated Tien Peng constantly throughout the movie. At one point in the dunbed version he even says "You talk like a girl!". :xd:Speaking of girls, Polly Kuan was good in her short time, she is becoming my favorite classic MA actress. But yeah..Carter Wong, is intense and badass. I'd like to see Return of the 18 and The Blazing Temple sometime.

• Like 1

18 Bronzemen

Very good movie. Solid fighting, good story, and The Bronzeman are very fun(especially the bulky armored ones, haha) Carter Wong owns it in both fighting and acting.. I also found it humorous that Carter Wongs character basically emasculated Tien Peng constantly throughout the movie. At one point in the dunbed version he even says "You talk like a girl!". :xd:Speaking of girls, Polly Kuan was good in her short time, she is becoming my favorite classic MA actress. But yeah..Carter Wong, is intense and badass. I'd like to see Return of the 18 and The Blazing Temple sometime.

Watch Polly Kwan's collaborations with Yasuaki Kurata, especially SEVEN TO ONE and A GIRL CALLED TIGRESS. You'll fall in love with her.

• Like 1

Shan Kuan Ling Fung is one of my favourite actresses.

I was a little bit disappointed by Return of the 18 bronzemen ; I don't know if I got a cut version or what, but the ending is a little bit strange and it seems that the story is not finished...

• Like 1

Shan Kuan Ling Fung is one of my favourite actresses.

I was a little bit disappointed by Return of the 18 bronzemen ; I don't know if I got a cut version or what, but the ending is a little bit strange and it seems that the story is not finished...

Yes I was doing a bit of research on what the best release is for these movies is.. I couldn't find a solid answer, but I read that they have been very bastardized even by kung fu movie standards.

Polly Kuan and Kurata sounds like a win, I'll have to keep an eye out for those!

• Like 1

Cold Bishop

It's not that they're cut. It's that Kuo completely reedited the film using copious amounts of footage from the later Eight Masters. Outside of old vhs fullscreen dubs, they're still no way of seeing the original as far as I know.

• Like 1

I have this version although I am not sure if anything is cut from it

110813_L_LO.jpg

That an awesome looking cover. Where can I find this one?

If I have 8 Masters is there a reason to get 18 Beonzeman 2?

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
You've been watching a lot of good ones paimeifist. That is a shame that the story is about a dog in Tiger Over Wall. It is a great movie, but hard to believe that a little dog is causing all this trouble. I love the scene at the end where Ko and family are going to fight HJL. You really feel for these people. They've had enough, and it's time for the poor people to take revenge.

There have been a few films where the dog has been the cause of a lot of trouble: just lately John Wick and Seven Psychopaths.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
There have been a few films where the dog has been the cause of a lot of trouble: just lately John Wick and Seven Psychopaths.

The best example I can think of is the under-appreciated BARKING DOGS NEVER BITE (2000), by Bong Joon-Ho (director of SNOWPIERCER and THE HOST).

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

Tiger Over Wall (1980: Lu Chin-ku: Hong Kong)

I am quite behind many in watching independent Hong Kong martial art films that I thought it was time to watch one that I have seen mentioned many times on this site.

Overall this is not a good film. You can tell it was rushed with some characters appearing than never appearing again (dyed gwailo appearing with I think mother and father.) It starts off with a “Warning Chinese and Dogs Not Allowed” sign (reference to Fist of Fury aka The Chinese Connection, yet apparently Chinese and dogs are allowed since the main resident (Glen Thomson) has a Chinese wife who has a dog. Plus there are plenty of Chinese playing behind that sign. Actually it is best not to think logically about this one because some of the character’s behaviors, horrible English dubbing, and plot thread disappearances will drive you a little batty. I think most people who rewatch this ignore the exposition and just go to the two main fight scenes which are the high points of the film. Or they judge the film solely based on the finale -- “It's the most important part of the story, the ending.” I have no issue with the main plot though with the disappearance of a dog being the impetus to start all the action (see John Wick or Seven Psychopaths for other good films dealing with a dog being the cause of it all.) But I can see viewers with the problems I mentioned above wanting to turn it off at the halfway point. That would be a mistake for martial art fans.

The Chiang Tao/Phillip Ko fight scene is underrated, but that is because the best scene in the movie is the final fight and this one is a bit too short. I liked the use of the umbrellas.

The last fight is awesome and understandably well liked among the martial art film fan illuminati. I do agree that it picks up (in Spinal Tap talk it goes to 11) once the weapons have been dropped, but still Phillip Ko with the staff and Hwang Jang-lee with the guan dao. I may be in the minority, but after watching this several times I think Hwang outperforms Ko with the weapon as well as mix in kicks while wielding the guan dao. He does more of a variety of movement while Ko seems too typical (while still being good) with his staff. But the fight scene shines most when they get down to hand-to-foot fighting. Hwang is awesome and one of my favorite on screen fights as his kicks are fluid, he can use punches to good effect and he works combinations (the key for great fight scenes) effortlessly with multiple spinning heel kicks (or spinning heel kick to roundhouse to spinning heel kick to roundhouse and repeat) and works well against the hybrid mantis form of Ko.

Random thoughts: Chan Lau as the village idiot makes me miss Dean Shek. Do you ever think about combinations of actors like what would Dean Shek (in his prime) have been like with Pauly Shore? Imagine a road movie starring those two. The biting scene reminded me of a similar scene in Beach of the War Gods. As mentioned by others: what the hell was with Hwang Jang-lee’s dubbing voice. I felt bad for Hwang as it undercuts his character by sounding like a smoking castrato who is accidently taking estrogen therapy instead of testosterone.

Is there a Cantonese version of this available for this Hong Kong film?

Random annoyance: I hate the amount of ads at HKMDB now. It has been driving me crazy being interrupted so many times for commercials and ads.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

That's too bad you didn't like Tiger over Wall master. I think it is a great movie. A good tale of corruption, with a lot of great actors to try and make the dog story seem believable. Chan Lau is one of those great actors I'm talking about, although his appearance at the end was a little strange. I liked his appearance at the end, but only because it was so weird. Hwang's voice doesn't seem to fit him, but it's grown on me over the years and the voice actor does a good job.

• Like 1

Master, I'd say a lot of what you didn't like about this comes from being behind on your watching indie kung fu flicks, lol. I found the first half decent in a camp way, which combined with a grade A second half makes it great in my book. Hwang is better in the weapons part of the finale than I originally gave him credit for. That part if the finale is very good and featured some great choreography and timing, it just isn't as exceptional as the rest. I too think the umbrella fight is awesome, and I think Chan Lau served his purpose.

I think I'm mostly numb to the voice actor that dubs Hwang in this. He dubs a lot of badass villain characters, or old masters. I used to find it hilarious, now I either don't notice it, or expect it! Haha

Am I the only one who found the 360 exorcist neck snap notable? It looks as if he's just gonna do the classic neck snap, but then it just keeps going, I had an outburst of laughter the first time I saw it.

Anyway, nice to see you poking around in the classic forum Master, and good detailed review.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Master, I'd say a lot of what you didn't like about this comes from being behind on your watching indie kung fu flicks, lol. I found the first half decent in a camp way, which combined with a grade A second half makes it great in my book. Hwang is better in the weapons part of the finale than I originally gave him credit for. That part if the finale is very good and featured some great choreography and timing, it just isn't as exceptional as the rest. I too think the umbrella fight is awesome, and I think Chan Lau served his purpose.

I think I'm mostly numb to the voice actor that dubs Hwang in this. He dubs a lot of badass villain characters, or old masters. I used to find it hilarious, now I either don't notice it, or expect it! Haha

... Anyway, nice to see you poking around in the classic forum Master, and good detailed review.

Looking at my martial art films I've seen this year they have definitely been dominated by Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest (with a few Seasonal.) I've seen a decent amount of indies, but considering how many have been made (and what many on here have watched)... I'm trying to watch the ones that have been mentioned over and over here when I have time.

I don't think the first half distinguishes itself enough to be considered camp. The revenge motif has been around and nothing new here except for the dog angle, but the movie makes the mistake by having too many foreign helpers thereby diluting Hwang's role (and in the same way it dilutes the Phillip Ko role) as main villain and adding too many subplots to the basic narrative (you can fix this by having a longer film or just getting rid of at least one foreign lackey.)

There are a couple of dub voices (like the boy in Sleeping Fist who've English voice is a woman who I hear from time to time) that just drive me nuts. This is among them. I tend to prefer original language (of course HK films at this were post-dubbed so many times you do not hear the actor's real voice) when I can so the only time I do dubs is when I do not have it available.

Question: the original story was based on an incident in the Republic era (what I have read it was Shanghai): is there anything in this film that can point to the Republic era? Obviously without queue's it is post-Qing, but anything specific that can point to a specific time?

• Like 1

Well when I say I enjoy the first half in a camp way, I simply mean I found myself laughing at times I don't think it was intended.. The dub definitely helps that, but if you don't like dubs I'm sure you would just find it annoying. I feel I am a baby to kung fu flicks myself, so I know the feeling of trying to decide what to watch next. Lately I've definitely been watching more indies than anything, but I've seen more Shaws overall I'm sure.. I feel my familiarity with GH is sadly lacking.

Being that I'm far from the most knowledgable or analytical poster, I'm probably unfit to answer your question, but I'll throw in my two cents.. There is some architecture that could have been in that era, but it's a low budget indie so I'm sure it was convenient to shoot on location. (I also don't remember the locations all that well.) Maybe the fact that the westerners were there in the first place?

What other independant fu flicks are you considering watching?

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

As far as Hwang getting help from foreigners, I didn't like the director's cameo as a Japanese assassin. His character just felt out of place.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
... What other independant fu flicks are you considering watching?

Well Fistful of Talons possibly (I bought Brooklyn Zu, Vol. 1 specifically to watch Tiger Over Wall) but I've wanted to see that for a few years, but I have tons (except for Ninja Terminator dammit :D) so maybe something from the sets Great Impersonators, Way of the 5 Finger Death Strike or Kickin' It Shaolin Style. I'll look through some of these threads some more.

• Like 1

Well Fistful of Talons possibly (I bought Brooklyn Zu, Vol. 1 specifically to watch Tiger Over Wall) but I've wanted to see that for a few years, but I have tons (except for Ninja Terminator dammit :D) so maybe something from the sets Great Impersonators, Way of the 5 Finger Death Strike or Kickin' It Shaolin Style. I'll look through some of these threads some more.

Well I have the Mill Creek 100 pack, so I have seen a lot of the movies in those sets. If you want a recommendation or two out of em', give me a shout.

• Like 1