What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Killer Meteor
thanks to WCIU Chicago, the midwest now has "Samurai Saturday" again. The only downfall is that most of the films are horrible pan and scan tv prints that lie in the public domain. While they may not be classics to some, at least it is a start.

"Return of the Kung Fu Dragon" was on yesterday. The only two people I can make out (besides Chen Sing in a brief flashback sequence....possibly lifted from another movie) is the fellow who was in a few Bruce Li movies (like blind fists and fist of fury 3) and a contract shaw brothers player whose name escapes me at the moment. You would recognize him right away....if I remember correctly, his most celebrated role was next to David Chiang in an early prison drama. He is quite the competent fighter.

Tsai Hung - the dude with the really weird mouth?

• Like 1

got a great deal on Mr. Vampire and Kung Fu Hustle over the weekend, couldnt get through either movie, think its time to give fu a break, still want to see the new Ip Man movies, well see if I ever see them.:squigglemouth:

• Like 1

yep, Ive been trying to order a few movies a week, and have been doin that for almost two years, lately I cant think of a single movie I care to order.:squigglemouth:

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Just finished Thunder Kick. Decent basher with good supporting cast, though both leading man and main villian pull the silliest faces during the fights!

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Monkey Fist, Floating Snake (1979)

Pretty nice film. Will put a review in a more appropriate place. :smile:

• Like 1

The Big Boss

Not my fav' Bruce Lee film but it's been ages since I last watched it.

lol, I popped in Way of the Dragon/ Return of the Dragon last night for the same reason! It seems like if they wouldve put a little more choreography in a few parts that movie couldve been grrreat!! I still love it regardless, Bruce and Chuck have some good exchanges. Whang In Sik was pretty cool too:bigsmile:

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
Kung Fu vs. Yoga and Canton Viper - posted reviews on main site

about to go and read especially for Yoga..the said film amazed me!

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

DRUNKEN MASTER, SLIPPERY SNAKE (1979, aka.Ol‘ Dirty Kung Fu; Old Dirty Kung Fu; Mad Mad Kung Fu; Kung Fu Madness). It had it's moments, but nothing too special. 5.5/10

• Like 1

Neon Samurai

In honor of the 40th anniversary of Bruce Lee's death I watched Bruceploitation in it's purest form with the 1976 classic Bruce Lee and I.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

I'm currently slogging through Kung Fu Emperor, one of those tedious Ti Lung/Pao Hseuh Li collaborations with really fake "exteriors." Tao Tao-Liang cannot do the goofy sidekick routine at all.

• Like 1

Two Graves of Kung Fu. Lau Kar Wing and Charles Hueng. Good old school basher. Reminds me of Dragons Never Die.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

Capsule review for a project I'm doing plus links I found some interesting information, several from this site I had forgotten about (I had also read Albert's review and HKFA's information).

The Story of Wong Fei Hung: Part one (1949: Wu Pang) aka Whip Extinguishes the Candles. The Wong Fei-hung films starring Cantonese opera star and martial artist Kwan Tak-hing was one of the most successful and long running movie series of all-time -- written accounts vary the amount from 76 to 99 entries. Hung Gar practitioner Wong Fei-hung is the most well-known and revered Cantonese real-life folk hero. Post-World War II had seen many newspaper serials written by Chu Yu-chai and radio broadcasts with him as a hero of fictionalized stories. Director Wu Pang used a story from Chu to show off a Southern style of martial arts. The film would not only have interludes where the martial art consultants such as Chan Hon-chung would show off their skills, it starts off with a lion dance and even later has a dragon boat song (Southern style song with drum or gong) performed by Chao Fei-fei. The film would help make the venerable Kwan a star and typecast him as the Confucian and stalwart sifu. It would also bring in authentic martial arts onto the screen and showcase master and student relationships. This just might be the most influential Hong Kong movie on the martial arts genre.

Released October 8, 1949

(whole movie with subtitles; thanks to Frank Bolte)

Wong Fei-hung by Mark Pollard

Mastering Virtue: The Cinematic Legend of a Martial Artist book review by Jean Lukitsch

Wu Pan, the Father of Hong Kongs Kung Fu Cinema by Jean Lukitsch

The True Story of Wong Fei Hung Reviewed by Yves Gendron

Dragon Boat Songs

• Like 1

I watched Sammo Hung's The Victim (1980)

Great kung fu movie, recommended. I wish the picture quality was better, it was the martial arts theater version that came in 2001 I believe.

• Like 1

• Administrator
I watched Sammo Hung's The Victim (1980)

Great kung fu movie, recommended. I wish the picture quality was better, it was the martial arts theater version that came in 2001 I believe.

Yes, a fantastic flick! I actually have a full-size reproduction of THE VICTIM HK poster (my only non-original) hanging up right above my computer.

I think it was Eastern Heroes that put out the widescreen print of THE VICTIM. It's not as wide as it should be, and the image is really soft, but that's the best version that I know of. It easily trumps the Tai Seng "Martial Arts Theater" release just because it's less cropped. It's a shame that this film didn't get a remastered, subbed/dubbed, extras-laden release like the Hong Kong Legends' DVDs of WARRIORS TWO and IRON-FISTED MONK. It definitely deserves a primo release.

• Like 1