What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Tiger Over Wall

and the finale is great. Hwang vs Phillip Ko here may be among my favorite fight scenes once they lose the weapons. HJL can be pretty underwhelming when it comes to weapons, but after they disarm each other he lets loose some of his most vicious kicks that Phillip Ko matches with his own intensity.

Yeah, I love the finale to this film. While I agree that it really picks up once they lose the weapons, I do think Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee distinguished himself from other superkickers like John Liu and Dorian Tan in that he could wield a variety of weapons quite competently in his movies, not to mention he could pull some complex handwork when needed. While we all revere him for his kicks, the man was more than a one-trick pony.

• Like 1

Yeah, I love the finale to this film. While I agree that it really picks up once they lose the weapons, I do think Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee distinguished himself from other superkickers like John Liu and Dorian Tan in that he could wield a variety of weapons quite competently in his movies, not to mention he could pull some complex handwork when needed. While we all revere him for his kicks, the man was more than a one-trick pony.

Well, I actually agree with you that he is more versatile than other kickers, and has very good hand work. When it comes to weapons, he is far from "bad" but he is also no Lu Feng (unfair comparison probably?), or Phillip Ko, for that matter.. Alas, niether of them are Hwang with the kicks either! Haha. Still, I feel if they had weapons through the whole finale, it would have been an above average finale as opposed to top of the line.

This brings up a good question, who is the best screen fighter when it comes to versatility? My first thought is Yien Biao, and Phillip Ko wouldn't be a bad call either.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Definitely Hwang is skilled with more than just his legs. Yuen Biao probably is the most versatile. He's so good at all the key things like fists, feet, acrobatics, timing, acting... But I don't see him with a weapon very often. This might be the one area where he doesn't stand out.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
I agree, even though the story isn't so great, there is actually some pretty good acting. Phillip Ko in particular does a good job, as he usually isn't much of an actor. He owned this movie on every level, but everyone was pretty good, even the poor scrubby guy. The Dad is always a good character actor. One thing that was weird about the movie, 90% of the fights aren't super bloody or anything, then at the end you have the 360 neck snap and Hwang squirting blood samurai style.. Maybe that was done to show the families rage though?

I think maybe the director decided to not waste his time with gore effects. It's a super low budget movie. And when the blood does come it has more impact.

I love the kicking effect at the end, the part where they cheaply edit Hwang flying through the air yelling and kicking. If you were in a fight with Hwang that is probably what you would see after being kicked 100 times.

• Like 1

Definitely Hwang is skilled with more than just his legs. Yuen Biao probably is the most versatile. He's so good at all the key things like fists, feet, acrobatics, timing, acting... But I don't see him with a weapon very often. This might be the one area where he doesn't stand out.

Yuen did more weapons work in movies like Heroes of the Wild/Heroes of Shaolin and Invincible Iron Armour, where he was a supporting player and co-choreographer.

• Like 1

I think maybe the director decided to not waste his time with gore effects. It's a super low budget movie. And when the blood does come it has more impact.

I love the kicking effect at the end, the part where they cheaply edit Hwang flying through the air yelling and kicking. If you were in a fight with Hwang that is probably what you would see after being kicked 100 times.

Yeah, I feel have seen that effect used with Hwang at least once before. I also loved when they were inside briefly and Phillip Ko was basically completely on the defensive as Hwang kicks a bunch, misses, and breaks stuff.. Ko Fei didn't want to be in close quarters with Hwang too long here! I'll probably watch this fight again today... I didn't revisit fights so soon after watching a movie til recently; funny both of the fights I've done this with involved Phillip Ko..

When it comes to the most versatile, I can't think of many to rival Yuen Biao.. Maybe Phillip Kwok? While his weapons are better, his kicks aren't as good, and Yuen Biao seem more explosive. Didn't Yuen Biao have some pretty sick staff work in Magnficent Butcher?

• Like 1

When it comes to the most versatile, I can't think of many to rival Yuen Biao.. Maybe Phillip Kwok? While his weapons are better, his kicks aren't as good, and Yuen Biao seem more explosive. Didn't Yuen Biao have some pretty sick staff work in Magnficent Butcher?

I'd say Yuen Biao, Donnie Yen, and Jet Li, had the bulk of his work been more akin to his 80s films.

EDIT: A brief breakdown of Yuen Biao's versatility:

Yuen Biao:

Styles & Handwork - Monkey (Knockabout), Wing Chun (Legend is Born; Real Kung Fu; Wing Chun; Prodigal Son); Choy Li Fut (Knockabout; Magnificent Butcher); Eagle (Dreadnaught); Bagua (Tai Chi Hero)

Acrobatics: Practically everything he did from the 1970s up through the mid-1990s

Kicking: Knockabout; Righting Wrongs; Iceman Cometh; Dragons Forever; Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars; Hero of Swallow; Rosa; Kick Boxer; Millionaire's Express; Eastern Condors; License to Steal

Weapons: Tiger's Head Hook (Invincible Iron Armour), Tonfa (Heroes of the Wild), whatever he did in his 1990s wuxia films, sword (Iceman Cometh; Kid from Tibet); escrima (Man Called Hero); Bench (Young Master)

Choreography: Almost everything the Hung Ga Ban did in the 1980s, Iceman Cometh and Kid from Tibet, Heroes of the Wild; Invincible Iron Armour; Shanghai Noon

• Like 1

Well I was talking about out of the classic guys, but no doubt Donnie and Jet fit the bill.

I actually have only seen one of Jets 80s movies, Martial Arts of Shaolin, which I thought was just ok the first time I saw it.

• Like 1

I actually have only seen one of Jets 80s movies, Martial Arts of Shaolin, which I thought was just ok the first time I saw it.

Breakdown of Jet Li's 80s films:

Styles: Shaolin Longfist (probably all of them); Mantis (Martial Arts of Shaolin); Pa Kua (Martial Arts of Shaolin)

Kicks: Born to Defense; The Master; Dragon Fight

Weapons: Drunken Pole (Shaolin Temple); Three-Section Staff (Kids from Shaolin); Saber/Broadsword (Shaolin Temple; Martial Arts from Shaolin); Hook Spear (Martial Arts from Shaolin); Pole (Dragon Fight; Kids from Shaolin); Two-edged straight sword (The Master); Chain whip (Born to Defense - kind of)

• Like 1

I actually have the Master, got it on the cheap a few months back and just shelved it.. He's wearing a wife-beater on the cover, so I assumed it was a 90s flick, lol.. I'll have to check that out soon. Thanks for the breakdown Ngor!

• Like 1

I actually have the Master, got it on the cheap a few months back and just shelved it.. He's wearing a wife-beater on the cover, so I assumed it was a 90s flick, lol.. I'll have to check that out soon. Thanks for the breakdown Ngor!

No problem.

The Master was filmed in 1989, but shelved (heh) and released in 1992, once Jet Li was famous. It's basically a B-level martial arts film with some great fighting talent.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
You've been watching a lot of good ones paimeifist. That is a shame that the story is about a dog in Tiger Over Wall. It is a great movie, but hard to believe that a little dog is causing all this trouble. I love the scene at the end where Ko and family are going to fight HJL. You really feel for these people. They've had enough, and it's time for the poor people to take revenge.

I did read somewhere that it was based on a true story: the death of a Westerner's dog meant the police actually had to do some work, and corruption was rife.

• Like 1

No problem.

The Master was filmed in 1989, but shelved (heh) and released in 1992, once Jet Li was famous. It's basically a B-level martial arts film with some great fighting talent.

Sounds like my cup of tea, may watch it this evening.

I did read somewhere that it was based on a true story: the death of a Westerner's dog meant the police actually had to do some work, and corruption was rife.

Interesting that it was based on a true story, but it sounds like it was more of just an example of the lazy and corrupt police than it was really a big deal (as the movie makes it out to be). Where did you hear that KM? Either way, it doesn't stop the movie from being a must-watch with one of the best end-fights ever.

• Like 1

Interesting that it was based on a true story, but it sounds like it was more of just an example of the lazy and corrupt police than it was really a big deal (as the movie makes it out to be). Where did you hear that KM?

I remember reading it on the VHS description at the Eastern Heroes website.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Breakdown of Jet Li's 80s films:

Styles: Shaolin Longfist (probably all of them); Mantis (Martial Arts of Shaolin); Pa Kua (Martial Arts of Shaolin)

Kicks: Born to Defense; The Master; Dragon Fight

Weapons: Drunken Pole (Shaolin Temple); Three-Section Staff (Kids from Shaolin); Saber/Broadsword (Shaolin Temple; Martial Arts from Shaolin); Hook Spear (Martial Arts from Shaolin); Pole (Dragon Fight; Kids from Shaolin); Two-edged straight sword (The Master); Chain whip (Born to Defense - kind of)

Cool breakdown DrNgor. :bigsmile: But you missed a few weapons he uses in SHAOLIN TEMPLE. It's my favorite scene, where they show the progression of the character's training by showing the seasons change as he practices with the spear, three-section staff, sword, and empty hand.

Sounds like my cup of tea, may watch it this evening.

THE MASTER (1989, aka. Wong Fei Hung 1992) is one of Jet's films that I enjoy the most, though it is often derided by others. There are several reasons why I dig it so much:

1. It's the first Jet Li film I ever saw (in the theater no less), so it holds a special, nostalgic place in my heart.

2. This is one of too few films where Jet does lots of fighting without any wire-work, and you can really see what he's capable of.

3. Yuen Wah is awesome in it.

4. It plays kind of like a silly 1980's US action film, but with WAY BETTER martial arts action than any of those ever had.

5. I find Jet's character to be very endearing in it. I sort of imagine that he was a lot like this (at that age) in real life. :wink:

I hope you watch it and enjoy it as much as me.

• Like 1

Yeah it is only sounding better and better to me, lol.

Rebel of Shaolin

Pretty good story, bad fights. The fights were too zoomed in and had too many cuts or the most part. The best fight was probably a short skirmish between Doris Lung and Polly Kuan. Was still entertained all the way through due to good story and acting. Carter Wong was pretty cool in this, and it looked like he was even fighting pretty well despite the poor camera (or maybe a cut print?). Acting was good all around for a low budget indie flick. Story kinda reminded me of Shaolin Intruders

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Rebel of Shaolin

Pretty good story, bad fights. The fights were too zoomed in and had too many cuts or the most part. The best fight was probably a short skirmish between Doris Lung and Polly Kuan. Was still entertained all the way through due to good story and acting. Carter Wong was pretty cool in this, and it looked like he was even fighting pretty well despite the poor camera (or maybe a cut print?). Acting was good all around for a low budget indie flick. Story kinda reminded me of Shaolin Intruders

The Master is a fun film, the finale is one of my all time favorites. Worth watching also for the presence of Jerry Trimble (King Of The Kickboxers). I enjoyed it more than many of Jets other HK movies because there's less wire work. Still have this on VHS stored away in my parents loft.

Reading your review of Tiger Over Wall paimefist reminds me I need to watch that one again.

Yeah, it's funny I typed much more about the finale than I did the movie as a whole. Definitely worth multiple viewing though.

Super Dragon

I don't think this was a great movie, but it was really cool and I liked it a lot. The plot was a little confusing, but not bad due to the many cool characters and adventurous nature of the movie. Some good fighting and acting from a very good cast (Cliff Lok, Polly Kuan, John Cheung with cameos from Yueh Hua, Lo Lieh, and Ko Fei). Fights were a good mix of swordplay and hand to hand. The villain was really cool and wore an awesome mask. I also enjoyed the soundtrack, which included Star Wars music that made the movie feel way more epic than it is, lol.

Yes, I woke up today, made a cup of joe , and watched 2 classic kung fu flicks!

• Like 1

The Four Shaolin Challengers (1977) - before Sammo Hung was The Magnificent Butcher, Larry Lee played Lam Sai-Wing in this standard kung fu film. Working on the review as we speak.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Rebel of Shaolin

Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I knew you would get that warrant. This is another one I never see mentioned. I wouldn't say the fights are bad, but they do leave a lot to be desired. Definitely the reason to watch this is for Carter Wong. He's in super badass mode. The whole movie is badass, and I love the grim tone of it. And Chang Yi is amazing as the crazy teacher. I like the final fight. It feels like something from an adventure movie like Indiana Jones. What did you think of the music?

Also, you watched Super Dragon not Sun Dragon. Some sweet action in that one. Have you seen Sun Dragon with Billy Chong?

Albert I love your new slime ball avatar!

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think the choreography of the fights was bad, but they were either shot bad or the version I watched cut too much of them off. Yeah Carter Wong was great in both acting and fighting. The music didn't really leave a mark on me with this one so I can't comment on that. It was a fun movie with good pacing and plot though. Chang Yis character was cool, and the mystery whether he was really good or bad was good. I watched it as soon as I woke up so it's likely I missed some of the finer details.

I corrected my original post. I haven't seen Sun Dragon, the only Billy Chong flicks I've seen are KF Zombie and Super Power. What do you think of Super Dragon Morgoth?

• Like 1