What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Most of Lee Tso Nams films that I've seen are fine examples of Taiwanese MA flicks! I posted about Fatal Needles very recently, so that's probably where you read aboutit. You may not like it as much as me, but if you're a fan of Lee Tso Nam it's a lock you will at least enjoy it.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner
I picked up Mantis Under Falcon Claws very cheap on a single disc DVD last year. I didn't think much off it either, very poor. I gave the film away to someone. The film has popped up again in the 100-moive Mill Creek set I got:sad:.

Well Tiger At Top is even worse. While Mantis Under Falcon Claws was really poor and not that interesting, it didn't bring me close to falling asleep while watching it...

And at least it ends very cheap when on that 100-movie pack (or rather 2 50-movie packs haha), since those Mill Creek sets aren't that expensive to begin with - I just ordered the Kickin' It Shaolin Style 12-movie pack (which I see as a companion to the Flying Fists one since they were released around the same time) for $9.99 on yesasia. :xd: For this reason, I'm being rather lineant with those sets - sure, it annoys me to get bad quality (the movie itself or the release) when I'm watching a film, but I quickly get over it.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, 18 Swirling Riders is easily the worst movie on the 100 set, although I haven't seen either of the two you guys have mentioned. It's not even good enough to recommend watching it to see how bad it is, or for discussion.. It is just straight boring.

Lo Lieh gets top billing and you see him for 20 seconds sitting at a table :o. I'm used to seeing him in a single fight scene in some of these indies, but come on!

Chen Sing was kind of cool in the last half an hour, but still nothing above-average, and not worth the rest of the movie to get there.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Well Tiger At Top is even worse. While Mantis Under Falcon Claws was really poor and not that interesting, it didn't bring me close to falling asleep while watching it...

And at least it ends very cheap when on that 100-movie pack (or rather 2 50-movie packs haha), since those Mill Creek sets aren't that expensive to begin with - I just ordered the Kickin' It Shaolin Style 12-movie pack (which I see as a companion to the Flying Fists one since they were released around the same time) for $9.99 on yesasia. :xd: For this reason, I'm being rather lineant with those sets - sure, it annoys me to get bad quality (the movie itself or the release) when I'm watching a film, but I quickly get over it.

Your are right with low price sets like these you cant afford to be too picky. I'm about half way through the 100 movie set now. There's a few title I already had or have seen in the set.

Secret Executioner
From what I've seen, 18 Swirling Riders is easily the worst movie on the 100 set, although I haven't seen either of the two you guys have mentioned. It's not even good enough to recommend watching it to see how bad it is, or for discussion.. It is just straight boring.

Lo Lieh gets top billing and you see him for 20 seconds sitting at a table :o. I'm used to seeing him in a single fight scene in some of these indies, but come on!

Chen Sing was kind of cool in the last half an hour, but still nothing above-average, and not worth the rest of the movie to get there.

Don't you mean 18 Shaolin Riders ? Cause there's a movie with this title on the Kickin' It Shaolin Style set and Lo Lieh is among the stars of this set... But I guess the 11 others shouldn't be too bad. Never heard of any of them except for The Magnificent, which I had checked as it was on Shaolin Iron Men (a 4-movie set focused on Bronzemen films that picked my interest but it is now OOP) and it doesn't look too bad (though it's more of a "Invincible armour" type of story than really a Bronzemen flick).

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Your are right with low price sets like these you cant afford to be too picky. I'm about half way through the 100 movie set now. There's a few title I already had or have seen in the set.

Only got 3 movies left on the Flying Fists set - two look like good to great stuff and the third one seems more like a mixed bag. Had already seen one of the movies on this set before getting it.

• Like 1

Yeah, i looked up what's on that set, and it's a great set.

I really like: Dynamite Shaolin Heroes, Shaolin Invincible Guys, Stranger from Shaolin and The Cavalier probably in that order. These all range from above average to the Craziness of "Dynamite" being great in my mind, lol. I look forward to seeing what you think on these.

Just wait til you see "White Lotus Man" in Dynamite Shaolin Heroes! He's one of the coolest kung fu heroes....or is he a hero?!?

The movie is titled "18 Shaolin Riders" on the set but the dialogue says "Swirling" each time said characters are mentioned, so I guess that's what I remember it as... Man I just reminded myself of how awesome the title of this movie sounds, and how much of a let down the movie is. :(

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
You do NOT need to see The Pier. I reviewed it a couple of weeks ago (check back a few pages). It has nothing going for it.

But, if you really think you do, you can check it out here.

Good to know. Maybe I'll check out The Club:tongue:

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Yeah, i looked up what's on that set, and it's a great set.

I really like: Dynamite Shaolin Heroes, Shaolin Invincible Guys, Stranger from Shaolin and The Cavalier probably in that order. These all range from above average to the Craziness of "Dynamite" being great in my mind, lol. I look forward to seeing what you think on these.

Just wait til you see "White Lotus Man" in Dynamite Shaolin Heroes! He's one of the coolest kung fu heroes....or is he a hero?!?

The movie is titled "18 Shaolin Riders" on the set but the dialogue says "Swirling" each time said characters are mentioned, so I guess that's what I remember it as... Man I just reminded myself of how awesome the title of this movie sounds, and how much of a let down the movie is. :(

Have you seen Rebel of Shaolin? You have the warrant?

• Like 1

The Last Warrior (aka Son Savasci). Yes, I watched my first Turkish martial arts action film and I can see why these film have a cult following...I posted a review on the main page.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Many years ago I picked up a film called Ninja Killer. The film looked like two movies spliced together but im not 100% sure. Some parts of the film featured HK actors Carter Wong, Kam Do & Bolo Yeung being the ones I can remember. Spliced into these scenes was footage filmed in Turkey featuring a non Asian cast. The non Asian scenes featured Martial Arts but the actors were clearly not that skilled.

Can anyone shed any one tell me more about this title?. Albert's post about The Last Warrior reminded me of this film.

Have you seen Rebel of Shaolin? You have the warrant?

I have not, but maybe I'll check it out soon. Is this a recommendation or just a question?

The cast looks decent enough.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Many years ago I picked up a film called Ninja Killer. The film looked like two movies spliced together but im not 100% sure. Some parts of the film featured HK actors Carter Wong, Kam Do & Bolo Yeung being the ones I can remember. Spliced into these scenes was footage filmed in Turkey featuring a non Asian cast. The non Asian scenes featured Martial Arts but the actors were clearly not that skilled.

Can anyone shed any one tell me more about this title?. Albert's post about The Last Warrior reminded me of this film.

Nobody here watched Ninja Killer?.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah the Bolo Kong Do footage was added to the movie Kung Fu on the Bosporus with Lau Kar Wing and some Turkish guy.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
I have not, but maybe I'll check it out soon. Is this a recommendation or just a question?

The cast looks decent enough.

It's a recommendation. Super cool movie.

• Like 1

Ring of Death

Above-average Ng See Yuen flick that doesn't try anything new and sticks to the Drunken Master formula. Decent comedy and fighting throughout. Good dub "Now you can't even jerk off!". There is a Chinese vs Japanese vs Russia subplot that is shoehorned into the beginning and end, but it does make for one of the best fights in the movie between Cliff Lok and a Japanese guy with a katana. (Who was this?) There is also another underwhelming fight between Hwang and Kwan Yeong Moon, but what happens to the loser afterwards is hilarious and unexpected! The final fight is good, but why did Cliff Lok need training it he could wield a katana so well anyway?! Lol

Overall it's a solid movie, but I've liked less well made but more unique movies more than this. The last half an hour is better than the rest, and also feels a little disconnected as well. Hwang is awesome when he finally shows up. I like the ending to this overall(not just the fight).

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Yeah the Bolo Kong Do footage was added to the movie Kung Fu on the Bosporus with Lau Kar Wing and some Turkish guy.

Thanks Morgoth, there's some impressive locations during some of the Turkish parts of the film. The fight scenes are no not up to much though:sad:. It's a shame Bolo, Kong Do & Carter Wong could not have been used better.

Finally saw Snake in the Eagles Shadow..

As expected, I loved it. Action packed, cool cast and characters, and an awesome finale. I actually was impressed by Jackie acting in this movie as well, I really felt for him and thought his life sucked early on! Jackies snake style was also great. I watched this with te English dub and original HK soundtrack - man I love the soundtrack to this, especially the main theme that plays often and during the opening demo.

I'm not sure what I liked more between this and Drunken Master, it's really close. I think I liked the end fight and the comedy more in DM, I need to watch it again. The Young Master is my favorite of Jackies classic movies still.

• Like 1

The Snake In The Eagles Shadow theme sticks in your head for days.

That would be "Magic Fly" by Space. The music that plays during the training sequence is "Oxygene part 2" by Jean Michel Jarre.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
That would be "Magic Fly" by Space. The music that plays during the training sequence is "Oxygene part 2" by Jean Michel Jarre.

Thanks DrNgor, there very catchy theme's and suit the film.

Awesome, and itunes has both! Next time I watch the movie, I'll probably watch it with the remixed soundtrack, I'm of course expecting it not to be as good.

I need to see more Godfrey Ho madness.

• Like 1

Tiger Over Wall

Silly, although unique story, makes for a somewhat lackluster first half.. It takes a while for the fights to get rolling. The second half is filled with fantastic fights though, and the finale is great. Hwang vs Phillip Ko here may be among my favorite fight scenes once they lose the weapons. HJL can be pretty underwhelming when it comes to weapons, but after they disarm each other he lets loose some of his most vicious kicks that Phillip Ko matches with his own intensity. Speaking of Phillip Ko, this may be my favorite over all fighting performance of his, the second half of this is basically a Phillip Ko highlight reel, lol. There is some great OTT blood, and also the best neck-snap of all time! :xd:

A must watch for the fights in the second half and the finale, the silly story inherently makes for a hilarious dub "WHERES THE BOXER DOG!?!?!?", and some unintentional (I think?) comedy (I.E. A western guy attacking an Asian for claiming he ate his dog.)to carry it to the great action.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

You've been watching a lot of good ones paimeifist. That is a shame that the story is about a dog in Tiger Over Wall. It is a great movie, but hard to believe that a little dog is causing all this trouble. I love the scene at the end where Ko and family are going to fight HJL. You really feel for these people. They've had enough, and it's time for the poor people to take revenge.

• Like 1

You've been watching a lot of good ones paimeifist. That is a shame that the story is about a dog in Tiger Over Wall. It is a great movie, but hard to believe that a little dog is causing all this trouble. I love the scene at the end where Ko and family are going to fight HJL. You really feel for these people. They've had enough, and it's time for the poor people to take revenge.

I agree, even though the story isn't so great, there is actually some pretty good acting. Phillip Ko in particular does a good job, as he usually isn't much of an actor. He owned this movie on every level, but everyone was pretty good, even the poor scrubby guy. The Dad is always a good character actor. One thing that was weird about the movie, 90% of the fights aren't super bloody or anything, then at the end you have the 360 neck snap and Hwang squirting blood samurai style.. Maybe that was done to show the families rage though?

• Like 1