What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

But the finale takes it to another level. It is definitely one of my top 10 fights.

I like how in the final fight, Philip Ko uses the Phoenix Eye against one of them, and the snake (or Southern Eagle) against the other. When both of them attack in tandem, He has the Phoenix Eye in one hand and the Eagle in the other. Great stuff.

Good eye Ngor, that's an awesome little detail, I'll have to watch the finale again today now! Maybe even just the last 20 minutes, as I really like the fights just before the finale also.

I'd like to see the movie "The Damned" with Angela Mao, Don Wong, and Lo Lieh. I can't seem to find it, is there another more commonly used name for this one?

I'd like to see the movie "The Damned" with Angela Mao, Don Wong, and Lo Lieh. I can't seem to find it, is there another more commonly used name for this one?

I think that's "Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver", which was released on VHS in the 1990s as "Wu Tang Hos, Thugs and Scrillah".

Morgoth Bauglir

Yes that's my favorite part of the movie, the double styles. Phillip Ko makes David Chiang and Norman Chu look really good. Not that they would look bad without him, but Ko makes everybody look better and he's a master of the 2 on 1 fight scene.

I think that's "Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver", which was released on VHS in the 1990s as "Wu Tang Hos, Thugs and Scrillah".

lol That movie has been released under many names, I have a English dubbed DVD-R copy of it under 'Battle Of Shaolin'.

Morgoth Bauglir

The Damned is a good one, and a good title. Lo Lieh is really badass. I also love the Wu Tang retitle. Clever and offensive. The Crash DVD Battle of Shaolin is a pretty good version. Apparently they snipped off some of the ending but I don't know how to find an uncut version.

Yes that's my favorite part of the movie, the double styles. Phillip Ko makes David Chiang and Norman Chu look really good. Not that they would look bad without him, but Ko makes everybody look better and he's a master of the 2 on 1 fight scene.

I'm really starting To feel like a dolt now for not noticing that! Definitely watching this one again today. Agreed, Ko definitely makes them step it up when they go at it, but both Chiang and Chu were good here too!

That Wu Tang name for The Damned is hilarious, yet a perfect translation of the alt. title at the same time, haha.. Anything with Lo Lieh being bad ass is something I've got to have. Is your copy cut Muchita?

Morgoth Bauglir

I doubt he would know (usually I'm wrong when I assume something like that), but this information comes from former forum sifu Linn, so you can trust it. Even if it's cut the movie has a great ending.

Well I guess it isn't a bad cut if you can't tell. I was thinking he may have a different version, but I guess if it's under the same alternate title it's the same one. Anyway, thanks guys, I see it as "Battle of Shaolin" on amazon now.

It's sounding better and better the more you all talk about it. I need to see this movie. Even if it were a complete dud otherwise, a decent Lo Lieh appearance would make it worthwhile.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I don't know how to tell if it is cut. Id have to look up Linn's post. It may just be a second or two that is cut. And there could be VHS or raw version that is uncut but I've never seen it talked about.

I'm watching 'One Foot Crane' and Lily Li is avenging her parents who were killed when she was a baby and she just confronted Lo Lieh and said 'You killed my parents 15 years ago', are we suppose to believe that Lily Li is only 15 years old in this movie? lol

I'm watching 'One Foot Crane' and Lily Li is avenging her parents who were killed when she was a baby and she just confronted Lo Lieh and said 'You killed my parents 15 years ago', are we suppose to believe that Lily Li is only 15 years old in this movie? lol

This is on my To-Watch List for this year. I've Always wanted to see it, but never wanted to fork over the Money to buy it from FarEastFlix.

How's the crane style?

• Like 1

The whole movie is filled with lots of screaming and lots of good fights. But the finale takes it to another level. It is definitely one of my top 10 fights.

"And is that in the samurai code, the famous Japanese Bushido?"

"Bushido, ha ha ha ha ha. First of all I gotta get those plans back, then I'll think about Bushido. AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

They show the entire final fight at the end of Top Fighter and it impressed me a lot. Bruce Liang just goes ape when facing of against James Nam. They use an old fort as the location for the fight if i recall it rightly?.

Morgoth Bauglir

I can't really remember if there's a fort but I think there's some sort of structure. Much like Call Me Dragon they are moving around quite a bit. Bruce is really superb in the finale. I wish I could post about 20 screen shots of how intense and how beat up he gets. It's one of those fights where you can't blink because either guy can be killed at any moment.

• Like 1

James Nam has those claws attached to his fingers on one hand too. I recall seeing some cannons lined up facing out towards the HK bay. During the segment when the three kids help Liang take on James Nam. I know there were still a few old naval forts still standing in HK at the time.

Morgoth Bauglir

Those claws and little gimmicks like that usually suck but James Nam really sells it and it's one of the most exciting parts of the fight.

• Like 1

You are right those little gimmicks often come across as very hokey.

The way the fight scene has been staged, edited & performed works really well. You really think that both men are fighting for their lives. The final fight in Iron Dragon Strikes Back has a similar feel to it.

Morgoth Bauglir

Definitely I agree. Maybe even more so in Iron Dragon you get the feeling that the final blow can come at any time. There's a part where Ko strikes Li with the nail in his hand, but then they show that Ko didn't have the nail in hand. Very lucky for Li! That moment actually scared me a little.

• Like 1

You are right those little gimmicks often come across as very hokey.

The way the fight scene has been staged, edited & performed works really well. You really think that both men are fighting for their lives. The final fight in Iron Dragon Strikes Back has a similar feel to it.

Are you talking about call me dragon now or little superman?

I love fight scenes where it really feels like a struggle for survival.

I agree that Iron Dragon Strikes back has that feeling, but I think the best example is Killer Constable, although the choreo isn't as intricate. That fight where theyre slipping in the mud and throwing it in each other's faces is great. Killer in White is another with that feeling to it.

I believe I have Cal Me Dragon, and Morgoth recommended it to me a while back..if this scene is in that, I'll be watching that tonight!

I know that feeling Ngor, these cats make it very had when trying to choose which movies to get next, haha!

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Call me Dragon doesn't have the intensity those others have. But it is one of Bruce Leung's best. And Kurata has his best performance from his early days. Probably the most kicking you'll see in any basher.

• Like 1

Darn you guys, now I feel as if my life won't be complete until I have Little Superman in my collection! :)

You might not enjoy it as much DrNgor. What one person rates highly, an other might not rate that much at all.

I know that feeling Ngor, these cats make it very had when trying to choose which movies to get next, haha!

I understand how you feel I'm always adding titles to my list of films to seek out. Often adding titles quicker than I'm buying them:tongue:.

Definitely I agree. Maybe even more so in Iron Dragon you get the feeling that the final blow can come at any time. There's a part where Ko strikes Li with the nail in his hand, but then they show that Ko didn't have the nail in hand. Very lucky for Li! That moment actually scared me a little.

The final fight in The Chinese Stuntman while less intense is similar, In that fight the two characters become out of breath and find it hard to keep fighting. You don't often get this in film fights.