What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

A bunch of great movies, but you reminded me about the Iron Monkey from the 90s, damn I love that movie.

Anyway, I watched a couple.

Dragons Claw. Less than stellar, pretty boring affair for Joseph Kuo. Hwang was cool as always but nothing amazing, and Lau Kar Wing got top billing but only fought like twice.. There was one little twist in the sort that breathed life into it, but it wasn't taken advantage of or built on well. My recommendation: if you want to see Lau Kar Wing throw down with Hwang Jang Lee, just watch the end fight, otherwise, pass on this one.. I actually enjoyed shottier productions like Duel of Ultimate Weapons more overall!

The Young Master: Fantastic classic Jackie flick. Decent plot, fantastic slapstick choreography through though there are only a couple "serious fights" they're great too! But even when there isn't fighting, it's an entertaining film from the comedy throughout to the lion dance at the opening. Whang In-Shiek is amazing in the finale, and there are also great fights between Jackie and Yuen Biao with a bench, and..well all of the fights here are great, and there are plenty of them. I also enjoyed that it's a very colorful movie with nice locations, and a unique soundtrack. Actually, I think I like this more than The Drunken Master (prepares for flogging).

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Godfreyhoworshipper yeah it's Fist of Legend with Jet Li. I don't know why I tried to make a top 10. I really failed hard:tongue: There's a ton of movies i realized right away that I should have listed. Iron Monkey 93, OUATIC 1, Die Hard, Ferris Bueller, Hero 2002, Roving Heroes, Shaolin Soccer, A Chistmas Story, Undefeatable, Bloodmoon, Wayne's World, A Night at the Roxbury, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Ebola Syndrome, Killer in White, UHF, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Desperado, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Fright Night, Detroit Rock City... and so many others that I feel should be in my top 10:tongue:

Funny that your favorite movies list would have so many of my worst movies list: Kick Ass, OUATIC 1 (highly disappointed with this one), Shaolin Soccer, Detroit Rock City (I love KISS, but this movie is so freaking painful to watch... I'd much rather watch the 1978 TV movie KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park or its international 1979 theatrical version KISS In Attack Of The Phantoms - available on the KISSology Volume II: 1978-1991 box-set -, no matter how bad it is)... Even Roving Heroes was very underwhelming from what I recall, but I could try and give it another chance some time.

Otherwise, great diversity in the genres. Lacking in the horror and science-fiction departments for my taste (my two favorite genres with MA), but it seems you're more a MA and comedy fan. :tongue:

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

That is pretty crazy GHW. I'm a big fan of Kiss too. Have you seen Role Models?

It didn't make my top 10 but it was close:tongue:

Paimeifist that is actually Lau Ga Yung in Dragon Claw.

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction Morgoth, I was thinking "No way Lau Kar-Wing is this tiny next to Hwang Jang Lee O_O".

Now it makes sense. I am ashamed, I should know better. :-(

• Like 1

Yeah he wasn't bad, but LKW is one of my favorite screen fighters, love that guy. Everything he does just looks perfectly executed. I need to watch some of his flicks with Sammo.

Agreed, that would be a dream match up HJL vs LKW.

• Like 1

Dragon Fighter (1979)

AKA Duel Of Death, Struggle Through Death.

Starring- John Liu, Ma Chin Ku, Wie Ping Ao

Average Kung Fu flick Starring rubber legs John Liu. one of a few men to defeat Chuck Norris in open competition. Liu was a big star in Taiwan were he made this film and many others. A student of fellow actor Tan Tao Liang (The Hot The Cool The Vicious), he is known for his unique and impressive kicking skills.

The films basic plot revolves around a gold mine run by your usual moustache clad bad guy who loves supping tea. Liu is kidnapped and forced to work in the gold mine run by the villains. The conditions are so bad they simply kidnap people rather than advertise job vacancies in the local paper. Wie Ping Ao appears in the film, a well known Hong Kong character actor. Well known for his role as the Chinese translator in Fist Of Fury and the camp mafia man in Way Of The Dragon. Unlike his usual villainous role here he plays a good guy who helps his fellow workers.

Dragon Fighter is not anything special but slightly different to many of the films churned out at the time. We don't get to see the hero do his thing until an hour into the film, as he slowly learns his Heaven Legs technique. Once he’s mastered the style all hells breaks loose and he goes about kicking the spit out of everyone.

Oddly one of the cast members has been named Fuck Chueng which surely must be a joke?. The version I watched is called Dragon Fighter released on the Hollywood DVD label. It’s a poor full screen cropped print with some very bad audio in the finale. Had to laugh at the use of the Jason And The Argonauts soundtrack in certain scenes. One to watch for fans of 70s chop-sockey flicks and John Liu otherwise avoid it.

Secret Executioner

Paul Wei used to be in a lot of stuff back then. Actually, there was a point where he'd drop in in every movie I'd watch - usually as a comedic secondary character, but still, there he is (my fault for watching so many late 1970s independent KF flicks in a row...).

• Like 1

Paul Wei used to be in a lot of stuff back then. Actually, there was a point where he'd drop in in every movie I'd watch - usually as a comedic secondary character, but still, there he is (my fault for watching so many late 1970s independent KF flicks in a row...).

Once you have seen a bunch of a these flicks you do start to recognise the faces. Ive seen more Independent films than I have Shaw Brothers etc. I didn't do this by choice there was just a lot more of these films about when I first got into Kung Fu flicks. Shaw Brothers and some Golden Harvest titles were much harder to find.

Secret Executioner
Once you have seen a bunch of a these flicks you do start to recognise the faces. Ive seen more Independent films than I have Shaw Brothers etc. I didn't do this by choice there was just a lot more of these films about when I first got into Kung Fu flicks. Shaw Brothers and some Golden Harvest titles were much harder to find.

When I got into KF flicks, the independent ones were clearly the easiest to grab for me if I wanted something outside the Bruce Lee films and the Hollywood Jackie Chan stuff. Even today, I bump more into indies (I already have now) or into some Jackie Chan stuff than into Shaw Bros films.

• Like 1

When I got into KF flicks, the independent ones were clearly the easiest to grab for me if I wanted something outside the Bruce Lee films and the Hollywood Jackie Chan stuff. Even today, I bump more into indies (I already have now) or into some Jackie Chan stuff than into Shaw Bros films.

Another bonus about the independents films is there were often cheaper to purchase. This was not always the case though. There was never a shortage of the Asso-Asia IFD flicks either.

I watched 'Triumph Of Two Kung-Fu Arts' today, it was ok I guess, the fight scenes were a little sloppy and long though and the story was meh. There was however a fight scene in which the action was shown in snapshots which I thought was actually done pretty well. Anyways, always good to see Chan Wai Man playing a good guy I guess.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Triumph of 2 Arts was a tough one to watch. I like the snap shot fight, but I would have much rather seen the actual fight. I think it was Chan Wai Man vs Kam Kong? That could have been something special.

• Like 1

What's up with you reviewing movies off the Flying Fists Of Kung Fu set lately ? :tongue: First Mar's Villa, now this. And they are two I haven't watched so far (but your Crane Fighter review is interesting and it makes me wanna check it out).

Didn't I tell you...hehehe I bought the 100 Martial Arts Classics Box-Set Hehehehe...comparing to see if Grandmaster Mark had reviewed them and whatever he hasn't, I will post reviews :) First saw The Crane Fighter many many years ago and re-watched it as a double feature Friday night with my kids when we had Chinese New Year dinner with Mar's Villa (which my mom liked!) and then this.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Albert have you seen The Challenger? I'm pretty sure it's in the 100 pack. It's a must if you liked The Loot. I'd love to hear what you think of the final fight and the infamous penis punch:xd:

• Like 1

Seven to One - Early 70s basher set in modern times starring Polly Shang Kuan Ling Feng and Yasuaki Kurata, both of whom give excellent martial performances. Polly hits and kicks with power and authority, while Kurata-San puts the speed and snap into his kicks that was lacking in a lot of contemporary films. Choreography by Leung Siu-Chung, Bruce Leung Siu-Lung's dad. Polly is drop-dead gorgeous in her colorful 70s attire. The film only disappoints in its 14-minute finale, about half of which is spent on a rather unexciting car/motorcycle chase.

• Like 1

Triumph of 2 Arts was a tough one to watch. I like the snap shot fight, but I would have much rather seen the actual fight. I think it was Chan Wai Man vs Kam Kong? That could have been something special.

Yeah good memory, It was Chan Wai Man vs Kam Kong.

Didn't I tell you...hehehe I bought the 100 Martial Arts Classics Box-Set Hehehehe...comparing to see if Grandmaster Mark had reviewed them and whatever he hasn't, I will post reviews :) First saw The Crane Fighter many many years ago and re-watched it as a double feature Friday night with my kids when we had Chinese New Year dinner with Mar's Villa (which my mom liked!) and then this.

I recently got this too, 'Kung Fu Arts' with Carter Wong was the last one I watched I think.

• Like 1

I watched 'Secret Message' earlier, I've had this movie for years but only now got around to watching it. I thought it was pretty good, I watched the English dub version released as 'The Stormp'. Anybody else like this film?

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

It's been more than 10 years since I've seen it. I didn't like it. Does Phillip Ko get shorted on his fight time? I barely remember it. But the cast looks good. I'm gonna rewatch it tomorrow night.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Yeah, I remember you mentionning this.

I was just messin' around anyway it's nice to have proper reviews of the movies from these Mill Creek sets, some are little gems.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
I may watch the Challenger soon myself.. Always good to see Phillip Ko in action.

Do you like good fight scenes? I have a feeling you will like it:wink:

• Like 1

Do you like good fight scenes? I have a feeling you will like it:wink:

The fascinating thing about THE CHALLENGER is that Huang Ha and the guy who choreographed CRACK SHADOW BOXERS make David Chiang look better than Lau Kar-Leung ever did.

• Like 1

The fascinating thing about THE CHALLENGER is that Huang Ha and the guy who choreographed CRACK SHADOW BOXERS make David Chiang look better than Lau Kar-Leung ever did.

I have always heard this, that David Chaing looked better than ever in "The Loot" and "The Challenger", but have seen niether. He did look pretty damn good in Shaolin Mantis though!

It's either this, or I find out just which of the 3 possible "Deadly Duo" movies is on this mill creek set next! I'm hoping it the one with Chan Wai Man and Chen Kuan Tai!

What is Crack Shadow Boxers? Was it bad and that is why your using it for comparison, or are you saying this guy is a reliable choreographer? Lol

• Like 1

Well, next on my list will be...THE CHALLENGER. I saw it a long time ago so I have to get a refresher on it...I do remember that the director is none other than...Eric Tsang!

• Like 1