What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Ngor you owe it to yourself to watch a good movie, lol.

Heh...watching The Pier, Killer of Snakes..., Lady Supercop, and Triads: The Inside Story over the space of a few days is definitely not good for a person's health. And the sad thing is that I have half-dozen other Hong Kong movies best left forgotten on my list to watch (for an article I'm working on).

• Like 1

Morgoth, I'll have to watch that scene, but really I just need to watch the movie again in one sitting. It is good enough to make it worth watching twice in a week, haha.

Those are all great movies. I know it's criminal I still haven't watched snatch, lol. The only one out of what you named that Ive seen but don't love is Super Ninjas, it was just too crazy for me....but again, it deserves another viewing.

I also must be the only person who likes Terminator more than Terminator 2! Although again, I love them both.

I'm interested in seeing this article Ngor, but still, you need to watch a decent movie at this point man!

Doesn't it seem like 7 Steps is noted in this thread at least monthly?! Awesome flick though.

• Like 1

That fight in the trailer is Chinese sword vs fencing. The fencer gets a couple seconds of screen time after Beardy KO's the boxer. I'm sure Yuen Woo Ping had his reasons but I'd like to know why it was cut.

I'm glad you got to see it paimeifist. It's my favorite movie followed by Snatch, Killer Constable, Terminator 2 and Chinese Super Ninjas.

Thanks Morgoth, I just couldn't recall exactly who it was he fought.

I'm interested in seeing this article Ngor, but still, you need to watch a decent movie at this point man!

Doesn't it seem like 7 Steps is noted in this thread at least monthly?! Awesome flick though.

Perhaps I shall watch Legend of a Fighter, since I've never seen it before.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Morgoth, I'll have to watch that scene, but really I just need to watch the movie again in one sitting. It is good enough to make it worth watching twice in a week, haha.

Those are all great movies. I know it's criminal I still haven't watched snatch, lol. The only one out of what you named that Ive seen but don't love is Super Ninjas, it was just too crazy for me....but again, it deserves another viewing.

I also must be the only person who likes Terminator more than Terminator 2! Although again, I love them both.

TOO crazy? I didn't know there was such a thing (I'm tempted to put a tongue smilie here but it just doesn't fit.). Craziness and uniqueness is what I look for in a movie! I put Super Ninjas as the most fun movie ever made. It's cheesy, clever, and has some of the best choreography (maybe THE best!). Me and you don't disagree on much so this is a bit of a surprise (actually it's a bit refreshing:tongue:). If you want to see what crazy really is from SB check out Bloody Parrot, Boxer's Omen, Bastard Swordsman, Holy Flame and Battle Wizard.

Also what are your thoughts on my #6 favorite movie Young Master 90 minute English dub version?

• Like 1

Honestly, I need to rewatch Young Master before answering that. I remember it having a class fight between Yuen Biao and Jackie, and a great end fight. My DVD is the red sun boot, not sure if it's the 90 minute one or not, I'll probably watch it this evening though.

It's funny, Master of the Flying Guillotine is probably my favorite crazy/cheese movie, and the choreography is no where near Super Ninjas obviously. I've seen both Bastard Swordsmans, as well as Boxers Omen, haha, yeah they're looney for sure, particularly the latter.

Yeah we do agree very often, but I feel our "top 10"s would be quite different!

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah it's doubtful our top 10's would look similar. There's so many good movies and to pin down just 10 would be hard to decide and stick with. But then again I know you pretty well, so I'm gonna take a guess at your top 5 movies, and I wouldn't be surprised if I get them all right. Erin Brokovich, Never Been Kissed, Legally Blonde, The Legend of the Flying Swordsman and A Kiss on the Lips.

The rest of my top 10 would most likely be Avenging Eagle, Three O'clock High, Fellowship of the Ring and Ninja Terminator. Also Major League, Hoop Dreams, Being John Malkovich, Dexter seasons 1-3, Requiem for a Dream, The Thing, The Stepfather and Manos. And True Romance, Platoon, Bourne Identity, The Crow, Kick Ass, Better Off Dead, Step Brothers. Dumb and Dumber, Gladiator, The Good the Bad and The Ugly, Fist of Legend, the Longest Nite, The Golden Child, Little Superman, Sword Stained with Royal Blood 93, The Sword 1980, A Better Tomorrow, Golden Arm, Shaolin vs. Lama, Ninja In the Dragon's Den, Lone Wolf and Cub 1,2 and 5, Deadly Outlaw Rekka. What the hell was I thinking trying to do a top 10?

Also, I love MOTFG, but I like One Armed Boxer more. Have you seen Return of the Chinese Boxer? It's more of the same Wang Yu, Lung Fei, Kam Kong awesomeness.

• Like 1

You bastard! You nailed my top 5 on the money! Haha, you have good taste my friend. Return of the Chinese Boxer is a movie I've wanted to see for some time, along with "Four Real Frends" featuring a similar cast I believe.

• Like 1

You bastard! You nailed my top 5 on the money! Haha, you have good taste my friend.

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic. 'Cause you know, anybody who puts Legend of the Flying Swordsman on their Top Favorites List desserves the King Kong (or Jiankang, if you want to be technical) Palm.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah that's definitely not his top 5 lol. I always tell people my favorite movie is Erin Brockovich. It occurred to me recently that I should watch the movie some time. I don't remember much about Legend of Flying Swordsman except it is extremely bad.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I was being sarcastic about that part, but not him having good taste, I meant that! After all, were all members of this forum.

Speaking of chick flicks, I always try to convince my girl that Chor Yuen wuxias are like chick flicks....doesn't work, haha.

With that said, there are some fu movies she really likes (anything with Gordon Liu in it in particular, and Yuen clan like comedies)

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
... The rest of my top 10 would most likely be Avenging Eagle, Three O'clock High, Fellowship of the Ring and Ninja Terminator. Also Major League, Hoop Dreams, Being John Malkovich, Dexter seasons 1-3, Requiem for a Dream, The Thing, The Stepfather and Manos. And True Romance, Platoon, Bourne Identity, The Crow, Kick Ass, Better Off Dead, Step Brothers. Dumb and Dumber, Gladiator, The Good the Bad and The Ugly, Fist of Legend, the Longest Nite, The Golden Child, Little Superman, Sword Stained with Royal Blood 93, The Sword 1980, A Better Tomorrow, Golden Arm, Shaolin vs. Lama, Ninja In the Dragon's Den, Lone Wolf and Cub 1,2 and 5, Deadly Outlaw Rekka. What the hell was I thinking trying to do a top 10?

Also, I love MOTFG, but I like One Armed Boxer more. Have you seen Return of the Chinese Boxer? It's more of the same Wang Yu, Lung Fei, Kam Kong awesomeness.

Surprisingly, or not, several of these are in my top 100 including Three O'clock High, Hoop Dreams and Platoon. I hate doing a top 10 so I prefer my top 100 list (I even have a top 300 list right now where a few others of the films you mention are, slightly out of date, but still.) Of course that list gives an idea of future watches.

I still prefer MOTFG over OAB. I also do like Return of the Chinese Boxer, but it was MOTFG that I consider one of my favorites from Jimmy Wang Yu. The weapon, the scenario, the plot and everything else. I'm actually somewhat new to OAB having seen that last of the three you mentioned.

• Like 1

Kam Kong is just so damn great in MOTFG. Whenever he shows up I'm thinking "fuck I'm glad I'm not there!" Haha.

Does anyone know if Return of the Chinese Boxer is included on any sets? I really want to see this. The first one was great, from the snow covered locations, to red wigged Lo Lieh karate chopping a table in half.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
Kam Kong is just so damn great in MOTFG. Whenever he shows up I'm thinking "fuck I'm glad I'm not there!" Haha.

Does anyone know if Return of the Chinese Boxer is included on any sets? I really want to see this. The first one was great, from the snow covered locations, to red wigged Lo Lieh karate chopping a table in half.

Kam Kong is just an awesome presence. It was the first film I noticed him in it, so afterwards I would always refer back to that role when I saw him. So far still my favorite role of his (and my favorite version of that flying weapon.)

I also love the score (or lifted music from Neu! and Kraftwerk). The influence of the film is just insane. I have two different DVD releases of the film (both have a different commentary.)

I just saw/have Return of the Chinese Boxer from the Crash Cinema Media release. I would love a proper release of it. I queried Amazon to see if there was any other releases of it and no there was not any.

• Like 1

Thanks for relaying the info on Return of Chinese Boxer. I too love the score, and it and it definitely aids in Kam's great presence. I've noticed him in a few other roles, and he's always a great presence (I realize the guy is huge when I see him without a robe on.), although he doesn't seem to have many big roles. This is another reason I want to see more of his flicks with Jimmy Wang Yu.

It is also my favorite version of the guillotine, I like the more stealthy break out design of it, its neat. Although I love "The Flying Guillotine" with CKT, IMO its a great dramatic flick, with wonderful acting from all involved, and solid fast paced action.

But Legally Blonde is better than all of these, and Reese Witherspoon is the superior screen fighter.

Kam Kong is just an awesome presence. It was the first film I noticed him in it, so afterwards I would always refer back to that role when I saw him. So far still my favorite role of his (and my favorite version of that flying weapon.)

I also love the score (or lifted music from Neu! and Kraftwerk). The influence of the film is just insane. I have two different DVD releases of the film (both have a different commentary.)

I just saw/have Return of the Chinese Boxer from the Crash Cinema Media release. I would love a proper release of it. I queried Amazon to see if there was any other releases of it and no there was not any.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I actually like Legally Blonde. Part 2 not so much. I don't admit this in real life. I've never met another guy who likes it.

MOTFG is a pretty easy choice as Kam Kong's best performance. It's one of the best and scariest villains in movie history. But what about his next best? I'll go with Shaolin Wooden Men where he has a touching relationship with Jackie Chan.

The Crash version of Return of Chinese Boxer is fine. Washed out but widescreen. I don't want to hype it up because it's not as good as the first Chinese Boxer but it is a lot of fun. It's one of Lung Fei's best performance so that automatically makes it a must have. Also small roles for fan favorites such as Jack Long, Sun Jung Chi and Phillip Ko.

• Like 1

I liked him in Shaolin Wooden Men, but it's too bad everything besides his performance and character is so forgettable. :(

I actually liked his small part in Deadly Kicks as well, solid acting and another interesting character, but he didn't get to throw down much from what I remember.

I'll probably watch To Kill with Intrigue sometime over the weekend, I got it with Wooden Men.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Let me know what you think of Intrigue. I wasn't so hot on it the first time I saw it, but I'm a big fan of it now.

I like Shaolin Wooden Men but I'm not a huge fan of it. It's nice to see Jackie in a different kind of role, and it has Doris Lung. Also Miao Tian is always interesting.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
Surprisingly, or not, several of these are in my top 100 including Three O'clock High, Hoop Dreams and Platoon. I hate doing a top 10 so I prefer my top 100 list (I even have a top 300 list right now where a few others of the films you mention are, slightly out of date, but still.) Of course that list gives an idea of future watches.

I still prefer MOTFG over OAB. I also do like Return of the Chinese Boxer, but it was MOTFG that I consider one of my favorites from Jimmy Wang Yu. The weapon, the scenario, the plot and everything else. I'm actually somewhat new to OAB having seen that last of the three you mentioned.

A top 300, nice. I don't know if I would have enough patience for that but it's something to think about. I was actually trying to do a top 10, but I couldn't do it. I will never try it again. Lesson learned. Let me get your top 300 if you have it prepared.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
A top 300, nice. I don't know if I would have enough patience for that but it's something to think about. I was actually trying to do a top 10, but I couldn't do it. I will never try it again. Lesson learned. Let me get your top 300 if you have it prepared.

Here is the error message: "The text that you have entered is too long (13181 characters). Please shorten it to 5000 characters long." :D OK that is crazy. Let me send you one hundred at a time. It has not been updated in a while (though top 100 is definitely almost current since I use that all the time to give to people.)

EDIT: three large PMs sent :D.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Since people are talkign their top something movies ever, I guess we should have a topic about this and I'll try to come up with one of my own.

The rest of my top 10 would most likely be Avenging Eagle, Three O'clock High, Fellowship of the Ring and Ninja Terminator. Also Major League, Hoop Dreams, Being John Malkovich, Dexter seasons 1-3, Requiem for a Dream, The Thing, The Stepfather and Manos. And True Romance, Platoon, Bourne Identity, The Crow, Kick Ass, Better Off Dead, Step Brothers. Dumb and Dumber, Gladiator, The Good the Bad and The Ugly, Fist of Legend, the Longest Nite, The Golden Child, Little Superman, Sword Stained with Royal Blood 93, The Sword 1980, A Better Tomorrow, Golden Arm, Shaolin vs. Lama, Ninja In the Dragon's Den, Lone Wolf and Cub 1,2 and 5, Deadly Outlaw Rekka. What the hell was I thinking trying to do a top 10?

Most of those I haven't seen but:

- Ninja Terminator is a MUST see, the greatest Ninja flick EVER MADE

- I have Platoon, I need to check it out (but since I love Full Metal Jacket I'm in a -"okay, show if you deserve better numbers than FMJ at the box-office)

- I hated Kick Ass, looks like I'm clearly in a minority on this, but still...

- The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is a really great film, though I prefer For A Few Dollars More.

Movies off your list I have on DVDs I haven't watched yet: Platoon, Fist Of Legend (we're talking the Jet Li movie, right ?) and The Longest Nite.

I have OAB (part the Jimmy Wang Yu Collection set) and MOTFG ("ultimate edition") among the many things in my "unwatched" stacks.

The Crane Fighter - Review on the main site :)

What's up with you reviewing movies off the Flying Fists Of Kung Fu set lately ? :tongue: First Mar's Villa, now this. And they are two I haven't watched so far (but your Crane Fighter review is interesting and it makes me wanna check it out).

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Hey paimeifist I forgot to comment on 4 Real Friends. Great fights and a great cast. The guy who did the action for Killer Constable Luk Chuen plays the man in white and he's one of the scarier villains I've seen. I didn't think the big end fight was all that good but it's still a good watch. I have it in the Videoasia MA Essentials volume 7. It's a heavily cut version, so it would be a good idea to seek out the longer version.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Godfreyhoworshipper yeah it's Fist of Legend with Jet Li. I don't know why I tried to make a top 10. I really failed hard:tongue: There's a ton of movies i realized right away that I should have listed. Iron Monkey 93, OUATIC 1, Die Hard, Ferris Bueller, Hero 2002, Roving Heroes, Shaolin Soccer, A Chistmas Story, Undefeatable, Bloodmoon, Wayne's World, A Night at the Roxbury, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Ebola Syndrome, Killer in White, UHF, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Desperado, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Fright Night, Detroit Rock City... and so many others that I feel should be in my top 10:tongue:

• Like 1