What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

blue_skies
I will..... look for it in about 2025 at the rate im going:smile:

haha I'm sure you'll get it up & running sooner :bigsmile:

Tonite: Drunken Master 2 I wish LKL had directed the entire movie, I think I read he actually walked off the set, anyone know exactly what happened? Nonetheless, I really like this movie.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Some say JC booted him off, some say he left on his own. Either way, it was just your basic artistic differences.

Honestly, I think Stoner is probably one of the weakest GH action flicks of the 70's, though there are some things to like about it.

I love The Sword!

Never heard of that one,is that a Chi Chan Chong flick??:wink:

• Like 1

13 steps of Maki...

Whatd you think of it? Its a karate movie right? It has been recommended to me, but I havent seen it yet. Last nite I watched Shaolin Mantis. Great movie, Id have loved to be in David Chiangs shoes in that one!! Also saw Rocky2. Tonite Rocky 3 and Rebellious Reign. Looking foward to Rocky 3, Mr. T was such a badass in that one!

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Actually I never watched Stoner and never heard great thing about it but since I love Angela Mao I decided to finally watch it in a remastered version.

What did you think of STONER Bigrogie?

Whatd you think of it? Its a karate movie right? It has been recommended to me, but I havent seen it yet. Last nite I watched Shaolin Mantis. Great movie, Id have loved to be in David Chiangs shoes in that one!! Also saw Rocky2. Tonite Rocky 3 and Rebellious Reign. Looking foward to Rocky 3, Mr. T was such a badass in that one!

13 STEPS OF MAKI is a really fun and violent karate flick. I found it to be less tongue-in-cheek than Shihomi's SISTER STREETFIGHTER films. It has more of an edge to it.

I recently watched DAGGERS 8 for the first time. Damn! That a good movie, and it really has some incredible kung fu fights in it. What a wonderful surprise. Don't know how I came into this one so late...

SPOILER ALERT for THE RED PARAGRAPH......

Question: Regarding DAGGERS 8, I watched the Vengeance Video version of the film. Is there a different version where they actually show the hero stab each of those many knives into the villain? It seemed to end very abruptly. But as we know, these films are notorious for that.

End of SPOILER ALERT.

I've also been re-watching Jackie Chan's films as inspiration for my newest art project on him. In the last month or so I've watched the following:

DRAGONS FOREVER

WHEELS ON MEALS

DRAGON LORD

CRIME STORY

HEART OF DRAGON

DRUNKEN MASTER

SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW

FEARLESS HYENA

SNAKE AND CRANE ART OF SHAOLIN

ARMOUR OF GOD

ARMOUR OF GOD 2: OPERATION CONDOR

PROJECT A

PROJECT A Pt. 2

It doesn't matter how many times I've seen these. They are still excellent entertainment!

• Like 1

Coliseum1972

Hand of Death 4.5/6 , pretty good.....

Temple of Death 3.5/6 , kinda stale imo.....

Story of Drunken Master 4/6 , all right......

Stoner was meh , Man from H.K was all right I guess.....never seen Queens Ransom.

• Like 1

I watched Big Boss, Fist of Fury, The Way of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon, Game of Death and Game of Death 2 all on Blu Ray during the last week.... 1 movie every night.

For 40 years old movies... they look great in 1080p but game of death is still barely watchable.

• Like 1

Ninja in deadly trap. I really wished this turns out to be great, but it`s just okay. From this movie so easy to see how vital chang cheh was as director to make venom movies excellent.

Cast is good and plot(on paper) is fine, but Kwok Choy just did not have touch to make this winner. Particularly in the end where few things brought 5 element ninjas to mind, was thinking how much better 5 ele is. In fact gonna check it now for 21st time:wink:

There is still good martial arts action, and movie is worth checking out but just do not expect SB venoms standard..Watching experience was hurting from so-so bonzai media ( bootleg??) dvd, full screen and english dub is quite f*ckep up combination. Quality was not too bad tho although there was some interference in the end:squigglemouth:

• Like 1

Seven Steps of Kung Fu – Excellent Kung fu movie, tons of great kung fu, loads of acrobatic skills on display. Why anyone in their right mind would want a popstar performing martial arts, using wire work instead of genuine talent that can do things like this is beyond me. Great fun .

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

He was still just a bit player/stuntman/choreographer at that time. Or maybe he was tied on something else at the same time. These guys could be involved with 10 to 20 projects at any one time, and there is only so many hours in the day.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

Lam Ching-ying is in Warriors Two in I think at least two tiny bit parts. HKMDB has him listead as Thunder's men/Leung's student and has at least one picture from him in the film. But TibetanWhiteCrane's right about his status at that time period.

I really do like this film though, though not as much as the later The Prodigal Son.

warriorsTwo_1.jpg

• Like 1

I saw LCY in the movie, I meant why didnt he have a better part/fight?? I really enjoyed LCYs Wing Chun much more than LKY.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yes, obviously he is in the film. I know what you meant, and I agree that he would have brought more heat WC-wise than LKY, but Sammo just wasn't using him for big parts yet.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
I saw LCY in the movie, I meant why didnt he have a better part/fight?? I really enjoyed LCYs Wing Chun much more than LKY.

Well you did phrase your question with "at all."

If you look at his filmography you can see his parts were pretty small up until 1980 (though I think his assistant action director and action director gigs in 1979 really helped him push up his career, especially with Sammo leading to bigger and better roles; note that year he was assistant action director on Odd Couple, Knockabout, The Magnificent Butcher).

• Like 1

Well you did phrase your question with "at all."

If you look at his filmography you can see his parts were pretty small up until 1980 (though I think his assistant action director and action director gigs in 1979 really helped him push up his career, especially with Sammo leading to bigger and better roles; note that year he was assistant action director on Odd Couple, Knockabout, The Magnificent Butcher).

yea, definately my bad:tinysmile_angry2_t: Those happen to be some of my favorite Samo movies! :) I remember seeing LCY as an extra in a few movies.

• Like 1

thanks to WCIU Chicago, the midwest now has "Samurai Saturday" again. The only downfall is that most of the films are horrible pan and scan tv prints that lie in the public domain. While they may not be classics to some, at least it is a start.

"Return of the Kung Fu Dragon" was on yesterday. The only two people I can make out (besides Chen Sing in a brief flashback sequence....possibly lifted from another movie) is the fellow who was in a few Bruce Li movies (like blind fists and fist of fury 3) and a contract shaw brothers player whose name escapes me at the moment. You would recognize him right away....if I remember correctly, his most celebrated role was next to David Chiang in an early prison drama. He is quite the competent fighter.

The film itself is garbage. However, I did enjoy it nonetheless. Having kung fu movies back on local tv is a direct link to my childhood. I hope they get better titles

• Like 1