What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

It's a superb movie and Cheung Ching Ching is great !! That's too bad that she didn't play in more martial arts movies. Does anyone knows why she stopped her career so early and what she became ?

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Shaolin Boxers James Tien 1974-

Got a copy and could not finish it. Just a really blah, average movie. Some nice kicks her and there, but all in all, just a dud. May be why I've never heard of this movie. Flicks like this are probably what sunk Tien's career as a leading man. His character is basically a dick, who is loyal to his sifu, but treats his fellows students with little more than contempt. He really treat Han Kwok-Choi poorly, pushing him out of the way and so on. Choi actually has some of the more entertaining fights in the movie. I remember him from Kung Fu the Invisible Fist as the shoe shine boy, who had some acrobatic moves in that as well. Of course he got killed in that one. I can't tell you what happened to him in this one, I feel asleep. Maybe I'll fast forward to the end some time, or maybe not.

PS, I wonder what what style of Kung Fu they're doing. They do a lot of forms in this movie, anyone recognize them, let me know!

• Like 1

Chinese Gods - People who have followed Teleport City since the late 1990s will have no doubt read about this movie. It's the totally insane Chinese cartoon (whose English language voices are the same handful of people who dubbed all the chopsockey imports from the 1970s) in which features a three-eyed Bruce Lee beating up demons and punching wicked kings in the face. The animation is in the vicinity of your average He-Man cartoon, but content-wise, we are shown torture, a guy cutting out his own heart to prove his loyalty to the tyrant, a wacky sequence that tries to copy The Sword and the Stone's wizard showdown, seductive fox maidens who eat human flesh, and a naked little girl with Chun Li hair who flies around on flaming wheels while impaling bad guys with her spear. Crap cinema fans owe to themselves to watch this.

• Like 1

The ninja avenger

Also known as: Fei yan zou bi, Impossible Woman, Fly Sky Run , Ninja Apocalypse

Elsa young & Yasuaki Kurata

Pretty decent for low budget 80's Taiwan.

• Like 1

Kung Fu Wonder Child - Yukari Oshima's two major fight scenes (against the kuangxi and against the two lackey guys) are wonderful. Excellent kicks. Lin Xiao-Lan is less impressive, despite being the star--I'm going to guess she was better in the Peach movies and Heroic Fight. The rest of the movie is an uninspired attempt to copy the Yuen Clan Shaolin Drunkard formula, save the animated dragon at the end, which was pretty darn cool.

Stranger from canton

Aka karate killers

Ang saan, Thompson kao kang, &

Ma Chien-Tang are pretty decent baddies in this one. Thompson's got a deadly Qu

Pretty heavy undercranking. Most of it's edited decently.

The Killer Meteor.. Jimmy Wang Yu and Jackie Chan as the villain. :xd:

This movie is so bad it's good; the dialogue alone is worth a listen. The fighting for Jimmy is typical swingy armed, knee and elbow strikes... The "secret weapon" is about as goofy as hell. Tgis movie is missing some of Jimmy's trademark acid-track music. It could have made things more interesting-or not.

Killer Meteor
The Killer Meteor.. Jimmy Wang Yu and Jackie Chan as the villain. :xd:

This movie is so bad it's good; the dialogue alone is worth a listen. The fighting for Jimmy is typical swingy armed, knee and elbow strikes... The "secret weapon" is about as goofy as hell. Tgis movie is missing some of Jimmy's trademark acid-track music. It could have made things more interesting-or not.

The music for this film is from the original King Kong!

Shaolin Kung Fu Master: Starring Wong Tao, Chang Yi, Chi Kwan Chun, Tsai Hung

Stuck this one on after the pub over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The version I watched was on the Vengeance Video label.

Duel To The Death - Fun wuxia action from the early 80's. Damian Lau and Norman Tsui as two noble swordsmen caught up in a web of intrigue as they embark on their destiny to face each other in a duel to the death for the honor of their respective nations. Lots of high-flying action and lots of ninjas. Their duel at the mountain cliff in the end is awesome and is one of my favorite end fights of all time. Never a dull moment...

Duel To The Death is a classic and one of the few Wuxia films I enjoy watching. The original soundtrack is really good too.

Yes, the soundtrack was great. I especially love the opening/end theme. It really set the overall tone for the movie...

I first heard the soundtrack on The Best Of Martial Arts Documentary during the final credits. It was more an advert for Golden Harvest films than a documentary.

Shaolin Drunkard: Yuen Woo Ping directs this over the top independent Kung Fu classic. Four wacky Taoist wizards (played by the Yuen clan) each battle for supremacy in the martial world. 92-mins of crazy martial arts action with some mental dubbing & far out characters. Also stars Eddie Ko and Simon Yuen.

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Eagle's Claw 1970- Paul Chang Chung

Cathay Wu Xia Pan with a young Sammo and James Tien as silent but loyal co-stars. Sadly they are killed mid way through the movie. Sammo does good work with the 3 section staff. Pretty good flick, and a nice change of pace from Shaw Brothers movies. See my not on the link.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Incredible Kung Fu Mission- I watched this years ago and thought it was good but forgettable. After watching it again I give it a slightly higher rating. The fight scenes are enjoyable but nothing special. Robert Tai's secret technique is cool. The big draw is the story. It's formulaic but well done.

This movie reminds me of Secret Rivals 3 aka Northern Kicks Souther Fists. They have a lot of the same cast, same lead hero and villain, same dub team, and same director. They also have great gunslinger soundtracks. I've been trying to decide which of these movies I like more but I can't do it. Further discussion is requested!

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
Incredible Kung Fu Mission- I watched this years ago and thought it was good but forgettable. After watching it again I give it a slightly higher rating. The fight scenes are enjoyable but nothing special. Robert Tai's secret technique is cool. The big draw is the story. It's formulaic but well done.

I kinda agree with you on some points, but man, I figured (seeing your tastes) you'd have loved this one. I might rewatch it some time soon, maybe one of these weekends or during the holidays. Would be even better in a double feature, if I find another "team sent on a mission" movie in the towers of DVDs I have to watch - or maybe with another John Liu movie that has a soundtrack lifted from a western, like Wu Tang Magic Kick that I have on that great set called Flying Fists Of Kung Fu (seriously, I LOVE this set, but you might have figured this out by now). :tongue:

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm close to loving it but im not all the way there. I should do a full review but I'm lazy. I will say that Robert Tai pushes John Liu hard and gets Liu to perform some of his most complex choreography in his fight against Tai.

If you are looking for a kung fu mission movie you must see 5 Fighters From Shaolin. It's Incredible Kung Fu Mission on crack. And I'm talking a major overdose of crack.

• Like 1

Hmm, I may need to take a break in my samurai flicks to check these two movies out.. Especially 5 Fighters from Shaolin, which I just looked up the cast on....this movie has got to have some great acrobatics/shapes with the Longs, Chiang Sheng, Chen Shan, and Sun Jung Chi! Are these on any cheap value sets, it seems that they would be?

• Like 1