What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

ShaOW!linDude
How did you enjoy Avenging Eagle and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter? I'll be interested to read your more detailed reviews of all those movies including and especially Dance of the Drunken Mantis which I haven't gotten around to seeing just yet.

Oh man, you've been watching the good stuff bro!....Yeah ShaOW!linDude, that would be cool to read.

Sorry, gents. I promise I'll try to get to them one day. I'm trying to wrap up a project and like to watch a lot of fu for inspiration.:xd: Just been on an old school kick. Let me say that I truly appreciate your desires for a mini-review on those. Let's me know I'm doing something write...er, I mean right. (Not really sure how "mini" the reviews on those films would be. Each one of those has a lot of fu to deal with!!!:tongue:)

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Lady Whirlwind!! Angela Mao right? Have yet to see that one, but definatley want to see more Angela. I loved Broken Oath, When TKD Strikes, and Hapkido!!!:xd:

Yes bro, you got it. And as usual, Angela Mao is a joy to behold.

I met this really nice older dude at physical therapy recently. Once we realized we were both kung fu fanatics and got to talking, he revealed that LADY WHIRLWIND was a film he could never find (he doesn't own a computer). So I had to help a brother out. And once it was in my hands, it was too hard to put it back on the shelf without watching it once again. :nerd:Still a great flick.

I've no idea! Maybe it was an image thing with people seeing Sammo a certain way.

I've heard that HK audiences can be quite fickle. I was told that when Sammo had a losing streak in his real-life gambling, people started turning their noses up at his films around that time! :ooh: Ouch, you know? Way to kick a guy when he's down... and needs that money more than ever! :smile:

Come to think of it- US audiences do the same shit. Tom Cruise jumped on a couch, and then his next few movies were effected in a negative way. :squigglemouth:

While not strictly classic but Shaw, I watched Monkey Kung Fu. Pretty fantastic UPTO the finale when they undercranked to silly levels. I Highly reccommend the the rest of the film! Thanks Kingofkungfu2002 for another top movie! Taken me a while to see it, huh!

For me, it edges itself right into "classic" territory. :wink:

One of the best bits- pure Shaw Brothers for me, like must-be-in-a-SB-show reel-good is the bit where student and teacher train side by side, performing the Monkey Style as the sunsets behind them. Their form in this sequence is truly stunning! Don't you guys love that scene?

Sorry, gents. I promise I'll try to get to them one day. I'm trying to wrap up a project and like to watch a lot of fu for inspiration.:xd: Just been on an old school kick. Let me say that I truly appreciate your desires for a mini-review on those. Let's me know I'm doing something write...er, I mean right. (Not really sure how "mini" the reviews on those films would be. Each one of those has a lot of fu to deal with!!!:tongue:)

That's cool man. Stay creative brother! Do your thing.

But if you ever do get around to writing them, I'll be there. :bigsmile:

• Like 1

Watched Hells Windstaff again, whats the name of the guy who looks like he could be Yuen Biaos younger brother? (thats what my gf and I have been calling him) I enjoyed his performance, before HW, I hadnt seen much of his talent before.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
Watched Hells Windstaff again, whats the name of the guy who looks like he could be Yuen Biaos younger brother? (thats what my gf and I have been calling him) I enjoyed his performance, before HW, Id only see him laugh like a little girl and bust some flips.

Sounds like you're talking about Meng Hoi. He's a great performer but I feel he never really got the shine he deserved.

Check out "The Buddha Assassinator" if you want to see him and Hwang Jang Lee go at it again.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

You've probably seen Meng Hoi a ton of times. You just didn't realize it. He often stunt-doubled for actresses because of his diminutive size. He's a very talented dude!

• Like 1

The Dragon

He's also the little boy Bruce Lee hands the rope to pulling Parson's little lifeboat in the famous "Art of fighting without fighting..." scene, in Enter The Dragon.

• Like 1

blue_skies

Shaolin Red Master - Very solid kung fu film with a pretty good story. Fights could be better but was entertaining throughout and not too much comedy.

• Like 1

Tex Killer
Shaolin Red Master - Very solid kung fu film with a pretty good story. Fights could be better but was entertaining throughout and not too much comedy.

I suppose you watched it from "old skool double bill2?"Great value for money disc:wink:

• Like 1

blue_skies
I suppose you watched it from "old skool double bill2?"Great value for money disc:wink:

yeah, fantastic value for money considering how cheaply those Eastern Heroes double bills can be picked up:xd:

• Like 1

Popped in Call Me Dragon last night. Man!! How I wish there were more karate movies like this! Is it me or is this kind of action really hard to find? The only places I think I get this kind of action is from other movies starring Kurata and BLiang. In this movie, I liked how they built up each character before they fought. Bruce Liang had some great fights, Kurata had a reputation. I liked the scene where a villager calls out "Leopard Head is coming!!" everyone scatters and shops close up, that was straight outta Bugs Bunny!!

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

Master of the flying guillotine.

Non eng dub version.

Soundtrack rips it up baby!!! Classic!

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Me too, Rog.... also watched it last week, as part of my 70's Golden Harvest marathon....

Watched

Invincible Eight

Lady Whirlwind

Hapkido

One Armed Boxer

Big Boss

Fist Of Fury

Way Of The Dragon

Thunderbolt

Comet Strikes

When Taekwondo Strikes

The Tournament

The Skyhawk

Stoner

Queen's Ransom

Ironside 426

Broken Oath

All in a matter of a week and a half..... Pheew!

Picking screencaps for a future review site im slowly working on, so I thought i'd get a running start with a bunch of GH classics.... well, some of them are classics.

• Like 1

Me too, Rog.... also watched it last week, as part of my 70's Golden Harvest marathon....

Watched

Invincible Eight

Lady Whirlwind

Hapkido

One Armed Boxer

Big Boss

Fist Of Fury

Way Of The Dragon

Thunderbolt

Comet Strikes

When Taekwondo Strikes

The Tournament

The Skyhawk

Stoner

Queen's Ransom

Ironside 426

Broken Oath

Picking screencaps for a future review site im slowly working on, so I thought i'd get a running start with a bunch of GH classics.... well, some of them are classics.

Man I wish I had time to watch so many in 1 month!

Tomorrow I'll watch 2, may be 3! 7 Grandmasters & Stoner and if f I have time, The Sword (1980).

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Honestly, I think Stoner is probably one of the weakest GH action flicks of the 70's, though there are some things to like about it.

I love The Sword!

• Like 1

Actually I never watched Stoner and never heard great thing about it but since I love Angela Mao I decided to finally watch it in a remastered version.

• Like 1

blue_skies

Watched

Invincible Eight

Lady Whirlwind

Hapkido

One Armed Boxer

Big Boss

Fist Of Fury

Way Of The Dragon

Thunderbolt

Comet Strikes

When Taekwondo Strikes

The Tournament

The Skyhawk

Stoner

Queen's Ransom

Ironside 426

Broken Oath

keep us posted on your future review site:smile:

• Like 1

Tex Killer

I have almost 2 dozen fortune star waiting to be seen and the last one I watched was incredible Himalayan. Ok, picture quality could be better( it`s not bad though) and subs have lots of errors but those are minor issues for budget price movie which is truly great. Heroes are not center characters here, it`s villain chan sing who does terrific job here. You should pick it up, blue_skies.Oldskool action packed KF from outside Shaw studios at its best:bigsmile:

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
keep us posted on your future review site:smile:

I will..... look for it in about 2025 at the rate im going:smile: