What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

ChillyChong
On 8/26/2023 at 7:48 PM, saltysam said:

The Postman Fights Back

Didn't get on with this one years ago,took a chance on the new 88 Blu to give it another go-mistake,still didn't like it. Beardy doesn't fight enough though i have to give props to Chow Yun Fat for handling his fight scenes well. To ebay we shall go,i need to stop diving in on things i'm not sure about lol

I take it to 2nd hand shop next time. Think it was rather dull. I like Beardy but he was not fitted to this role. Someone like Chen Kuan Tai or Ti Lung would have played it better. But problems were in script. There was scene in campfire in about 1/3 of movie Chow Yun Fat yawns. I was yawning too more than once during this.

Music is great though.

ChillyChong

Warrior and the blind swordsman.

Jaka Sembung is still giving trouble for dutch and to get rid of him they hire female magician who has fair amount of warriors under her control.

Less magic than in Warrior and also f/x are used sparingly lot of supernatural powers are just people being pushed back by palm energy and disappearing acts are used lots too. However there is more martial arts than in first movie and action is tad better also.

PQ in MM br is great to my eyes it looks better than in 1st. Was so long time since saw Blind Swordsman had actually forgotten this is more enjoyable than previous installment.

• Like 1

Rewatched Shaolin vs. Lama
Granted, it wasn't my first or second watch. Or even third of fourth watch.
I'm not sure how many times I've seen it. But anyway, glad I watched it again. Love the real locations (sadly absent in 90% of Shaw Brothers flicks), the soundtrack, all the locks, suplexes, etc. in the fight choreography, and so on. I still feel like that last shot of Alexander Lo Rei et al. walking off under that hilly, cloudy sky is really poignant in some way I can't explain. 

Edited by SDJ

ChillyChong

Warrior and the Ninja.

Was bit worried as recall liked it a lot really long time ago how feel about it today. Well, relief it is great.

Action is definitely improvement over previous movies.particularly liked one moment villains use ropes to catch enemy, similar to one in Shaws Rebel Intruders. It goes to bit slow roller for 20 mins or so after Jaka is captured and Ninja wounded before imressive showdown starts. There is at least 1 more Jaka Sembung movie, hopefully MM releases it.

IMG_20240904_122754.jpg

Hasimir Fenring
On 8/11/2024 at 4:01 PM, ChillyChong said:

One of all time favorites. Hkl did release several milestones of hk cinema, awesome cstalogue. Ninja in DD gets slightly corny in very end but is first class entertainment. Missed german br, hopefully 88 or eureka has interest towards this.

IMG_20240811_175617.jpg

I LOVE that film. The stilt fight and a young Hiroyuki Sanada, who I knew from some Sonny Chiba films along with realising he was the same dude that was in Ringu.

For my recents, A Better Tomorrow and John Woo's remake of The Killer don't really count, so The Heroic Trio and Moon Warriors. Somehow never saw The Heroic Trio until now, and hadn't seen Moon Warriors since probably the late 90s.

Edit - oops, they're too recent. Lady is the Boss would be the last pre-85 one. Yeah, that one wasn't great. Great final sequence,  but too many hijinks and shenanigans with the boys dressed like Hong Kong's answer to the Village People.

Edited by Hasimir Fenring

Black Belt Jones

Jim Kelly's first starring role following his breakout in Enter The Dragon is a silly but fun 85 minute romp. Jones has to save his martial arts school and steal vital photos from the mafia ,as well as romancing Gloria Hendry.Lots of Robert Clouse regulars here, Pat Johnson,Sonny Barnes,Bob Wall,Donnie Williams,Mel Novak all show up.Great catchy score and the new blu ray from Warner Archive looks ace. Makes Jim's double doing multiple roundhouse kicks in the climactic fight even more obvious.

Hot Potato

Terrible follow up to Black Belt Jones, here he's off to the jungle with Irene Tsu and a couple of pals to rescue a senator's daughter. Awful,unfunny comedic scenes, lacklustre fights. I'd definitely buy a blu ray though, which won't happen, pity Warner never slipped it onto Black Belt Jones disc as an extra.

• Like 1