What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

sadisgate

Shaolin Iron Claws (1978)

Don Wong plays a police man who gets caught up in a conspiracy to bring back the monarchy. The movie introduces the villain early on but then completely forgets about him after about 10 mins to be replaced by another villain who also only appears for about 6 mins in total. The fights are average, no one uses any style described as iron claws. The twist with Min Li's character I saw coming but it was at least well handled. The two kid characters were annoying and Don Wong's love interest did nothing but yell at him the whole time.

• Like 1

saltysam
Posted (edited)
Spoiler

The Miracle Fighters

Controversial opinion but i wasn't keen on this. Martial arts movies with supernatural elements aren't for me. Eureka disc looks great though and the movies many fans will be delighted with this one.

Edited by saltysam

Jizzmaster Jerry
Posted (edited)

The Uninvited Guest of the Star Ferry- got this in the Ninja Terminator Blu Ray.  Great to finally see the original movie that was used for Ninja Terminator.  While I prefer the Richard Harrison version, Uninvited Guest is worth watching for extra Jaguar Wong footage, at least one bonus fight, and extended fights.  And the final wrap up scene is funny.  Felt like the end of a Jackie Chan movie.  

Picture is washed out really bad.  But it’s more than watchable.  

Ninja Terminator on the other hand looks beautiful.  Best picture quality I’ve seen on a Godfrey Ho movie.  

The interviews are good and I especially enjoyed the solo Godfrey Ho interview.  I’m watching Ninja Terminator right now for about the 100th time and then onto the audio commentaries.  

The booklet is informative and the write up on the history of IFD is top notch.  

I think I wrote here awhile ago that I wished there was more focus on releasing ultra deluxe versions of some of the less talked about classics like Invincible Super Chan, Kung Fu Fever and Ninja Holocaust.  And then Caulrdon goes and one ups my request giving Ninja Terminator the deluxe treatment.  A dream come true.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 1

saltysam

Lightning Of Bruce Lee

Taiwan effort has nothing whatsoever to do with Bruce.Two brothers go their seperate ways but meet again when one ends up working for an evil gang of triads. Little seen but underrated basher with an exhausting 20 minute climax "chase-bash..chase..bash" rinse and repeat. i watched the nice widescreen custom that Kuenfist did.

ShawAngela
9 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Picture is washed out really bad.  But it’s more than watchable.  

Didn't they restore it like they did for Ninja Terminator? That's a disappointment, because I became of fan of Jack Lam only recently after watching some scenes from this movies on Facebook, and I bought this release only for this Korean movie, since I don't like all these look alike American ninjas movies, and Richard Harrison even less!!

Yihetuan
52 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Lightning Of Bruce Lee

Taiwan effort has nothing whatsoever to do with Bruce.Two brothers go their seperate ways but meet again when one ends up working for an evil gang of triads. Little seen but underrated basher with an exhausting 20 minute climax "chase-bash..chase..bash" rinse and repeat. i watched the nice widescreen custom that Kuenfist did.

I recommend that @kuenfist custom too. he put in a lot of work getting the Dutch VHS and French DVD and making a composite print with English dub. You have to like anyone who adds this disclaimer :rofl

----- THIS IS A DVD FOR THE FU FANS !!! TO THE BOOTLEGGERS OUT THERE IF YOU SELL THIS THE KUNG FU HERO WILL KILL YOU ---

16 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Didn't they restore it like they did for Ninja Terminator? That's a disappointment, because I became of fan of Jack Lam only recently after watching some scenes from this movies on Facebook, and I bought this release only for this Korean movie, since I don't like all these look alike American ninjas movies, and Richard Harrison even less!!

No, they clearly state it's sourced from the 16mm print. There are 35mm prints available but looks like KOFA is the only one who has access to them. To me it's very watchable even with the caveats posted regarding print damage and well worth it to seek it out as a piece of obscure Korean martial arts/action film history.

1080p presentation from a 2K scan of the original ‘source’ film of Ninja Terminator, taken from an ultra-rare 16mm print. 

**Please note: This feature is assembled from a salvaged print that was once thought lost. Due to large amounts of dust, mold, and scratches, what you see is what you get! This HD version, “grindhouse presentation” of the film is only available with the limited edition Ninja Terminator set**

• Like 2

ShawAngela
18 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

No, they clearly state it's sourced from the 16mm print. There are 35mm prints available but looks like KOFA is the only one who has access to them. To me it's very watchable even with the caveats posted regarding print damage and well worth it to seek it out as a piece of obscure Korean martial arts/action film history.

Thanks. As you know, I'm totally ignorant regarding what is the quality of 16 mm or 35 mm or whatever... :)

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Thanks. As you know, I'm totally ignorant regarding what is the quality of 16 mm or 35 mm or whatever... :)

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. yes, Im Jaho aka Jack Lam certainly has a presence & charisma about him and he's a nice kicker too.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Jizzmaster Jerry
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

well if u like Jack Lam you’ll love Uninvited Guest, and Ninja Terminator.  Richard Harrison is the most uncool goofy ninja that has ever lived and teaming him up with someone as cool as Jack Lam’s Jaguar Wong makes the movie a ton of fun.  There’s only 5 or 6 cut and paste movies that I like out of the 100+ I’ve seen and Ninja Terminator is the best there is.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 1

randomiseallmytargets

I watched Sun Dragon aka A Hard way to die

AAAH man that was splendid one of the weirder bad dubs i've heard in a while but fantastic none the less. Billy Chong i think can be a bit of an acquired taste for some people but between this Crystal Fist and Kung Fu Zombie i like the energy in his films plus sometimes he comes off even more of a cocky prick than Jackie chan did in Drunken Master. (i've heard bits and pieces as to why he never took off but not a proper story) 

Special mention has to go to Carl Scott though who i'm so fucking glad they gave him more prominence in this compared to Soul Brothers of Kung Fu where he's just "there" as a character if anything he's more of a driving force in the story than Chong is and he could really bring it in the fighting department. Underrated martial artist i feel who hasn't gotten his due as far as Black kung fu stars go.

Also i have to say this is probably the most country music and pedal steel guitar i've heard in martial arts movie

• Like 9

Drunken Monk

The Miracle Fighters (1982) - Watching new Blu-ray, I was really able to appreciate this film a lot more. Firstly, it's pure madness. Insanity from moment one until the film ends. It does have a plot but it feels superfluous because the film is essentially a bunch of wacky skits sewn together. But that doesn't mean it's not fun. It's LOADS of fun.
What I was really able to appreciate this time is the sheer ingenius of what's on display. The Yuen Clan were way ahead of their time back then. The special effects, the action, the sheer craziness of what they achieved. It's magical. Such a fantastic film.

• Like 3

Yihetuan

The Crippled Masters - Dir. Joe Law [1979] (Taiwan)

Go and buy the Film Masters blu ray of this classic! what a treat to watch this in a beautifully restored print in its OAR with Mandarin audio. Yes the subs are of the English SDH variety but can't have everything. The training montage sequences are always the most entertaining as well as the comeuppance of the baddies at the end. The extras include a nice Chris Poggiali mini doc on the arrival of Kung Fu films to these shores in the 70s and 80s and a very entertaining audio commentary by the two Canucks (Will Sloan and J. Decloux of The Important of Cinema Club podcast and Gold Ninja Video). A lot of entertainment value for $25. One of my fave Kung Fu releases so far in 2024.

https://10kbullets.blogspot.com/2024/06/the-crippled-masters-film-masters-blu.html?m=1

• Like 4

Super Ninja
16 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

The Crippled Masters - Dir. Joe Law [1979] (Taiwan)

Go and buy the Film Masters blu ray of this classic! what a treat to watch this in a beautifully restored print in its OAR with Mandarin audio. Yes the subs are of the English SDH variety but can't have everything. The training montage sequences are always the most entertaining as well as the comeuppance of the baddies at the end. The extras include a nice Chris Poggiali mini doc on the arrival of Kung Fu films to these shores in the 70s and 80s and a very entertaining audio commentary by the two Canucks (Will Sloan and J. Decloux of The Important of Cinema Club podcast and Gold Ninja Video). A lot of entertainment value for $25. One of my fave Kung Fu releases so far in 2024.

https://10kbullets.blogspot.com/2024/06/the-crippled-masters-film-masters-blu.html?m=1

You waste no time do you :laugh That entertainment is going to cost me more than 50$ with shipping but it's worth it. Looking forward to rewatching this one in HD. 

• Buddha Bless You 1

DrNgor

One-Armed Against Nine Killers (Taiwan, 1976: Hsu Tseng-Hung) - aka The One-Armed Swordsman vs. the 9 Killers - Entertaining, if confusing little wuxia adventure about a one-armed boxer--yes, boxer--who is going around looking for the titular characters to avenge for his family's massacre three years prior. The main culprit behind the slaughter is the head of the Chu clan, who employed nine assassins to wipe out JWY's clan after his dad refused to participate in a rebellion. The film is basically JWY walking around the countryside and getting in one fight after another with a whole plethora of colorful villains, like a transsexual/hermaphrodite monk and a guy who practices the "turtle style." There are several twists along the way, a few I saw coming and a few I did not.

Highlights of the film include Chen Hung-Lieh wielding a Cloud-sized sword; a guy who plays chess with real people for some reason; Lo Lieh with a blowgun-flute; and JWY almost decapitating a prostitute with a tea tray. The fights are fun, if a bit simple (and fast). There are lots of weapons being used, including fans, spears, swords, sabers, sickles, and even a tonfa-sword. My main problem is the dubbing, which confuses the names of two or three of the assassins, and the fact that there are several assassin characters who are not the nine killers of the title. That makes the movie a little confusing. The Wu Tang Collection has a clean 76-minute version from a German rip, although another user on Youtube has grainier 83-minute version uploaded, which is the one I watched.

For anyone watching who can't keep score:

Clan Leader Chu - Tsao Chien
The 9 killers:
Lu Sao Fung - (killed before movie starts)
Mung Sing-Hung (guy at beginning) - Tsung Hua
Yen Hsi-Su - Lung Fei
Fu Pai-Su (tonfa-blade guy) - Wang Chi-Sheng
Yang Chi (female assassin)
Chu Lu (brothel guy) - Wan Shan
Liu Fei-Dong (big sword guy) - Chen Hung-Lieh
Shao Si-Yu (Lu Yen?) - Lo Lieh
Tang Han (spear) - Choe Song

Other villains:
Lo Pu (chess guy)- Wu Ho 
Wong Pa, the "Turtle" - Hou Po-Wei
Dr. Poison - Yu Heng
Lu Ta-Chia (shows up in forest) - Hsieh Hsing
Fortune Teller - Kao Chen-Peng
Tai Li-Wai (sickle killer) - Chin Lung 
Chu Clan 4 Killers (dressed like scholars)
Lo Pai-Do (throwing dagger killer)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yihetuan
On 2/18/2024 at 12:09 PM, saltysam said:

Bloody Fists

a gold standard for 70's bashers, Chen Sing is the hero who while on the run comes across a village who are being bullied by the japanese for their valuable dragon herb.great cast, Sun Lan,Fang Yeh,Henry Yue, Kwok Choi and Chen Kuan Tai as the baddie.thesev Chen Sing 70's bashers are great.

Also recently watched this and it's definitely in the conversation for top bashers of all time. the typical Chinese nationalist sentiment framed against the 'evil' Japanese trope never gets tiring for me. I really enjoy how the Japanese are portrayed here as all Chen Kuan Tai is missing is the fanged teeth that Lung Fei had in One Armed Boxer lol. Some exploitation elements too with a rather sleazy rape scene and a decapitation and the use of weapons (sai vs nunchuks) was also a big plus in its favor.

Special mention ahs to be made of the typecast role of the Chinese traitor, Sun Lan. I know he's specialized in playing the smarmy quisling who betrays his country but is this his only role where he actually displays some martial arts skills and actually fights? Anyway, the multicom print was fine despite some print damage but the boomy audio with excessive echo of the sound effects of the English dub was tiresome and there were some obvious frame cuts especially noticeable during the final fight on the beach.

• Like 2

randomiseallmytargets

Legend of a Fighter

I liked this but i didn't love it, the movie is a loose biography on Huo Yuanjia, that follows him childhood years where he is denied by his father to learn their martial arts due to his various health afflictions and later being considered a national hero after taking down foreign opponents.

It's clear to me that this film due to the nature of the story and the person it's about was at least inspired by Fist of Fury but despite having some amazing choreography the story i felt was really lacking ,Yasuaki Kurata plays somewhat of a generic villain who initially starts out as a mentor to the young Huo but he brings so much life and energy to it in spite of the contrivance of it, Philip Ko as Huo's father i liked in what room he did and it was interesting to see Beardy in the kind of noble role i'd usually associated with Jet Li years down the line but it still just felt lacking, even the final fight good as the build up was felt somewhat tossed off by the end.

btw not trying to stir up anything as i am a fan of both but the issue people had with Jimmy Wang Yu amongst other things is that he wasn't a legit martial artist and yet Leung Kar Yan wasn't a martial artist either and unless i'm mistaken i don't hear that used against him so what gives?

sadisgate

Shaolin Invincibles (1977)

Chia Ling has her whole family killed by an evil Qing emperor and is trained at the shaolin temple. She sets out to get revenge and is joined by her sister and also Carter Wong. I like this film but it definetly feels like a victim of a low budget. Fights are usually short, even the final fight is over pretty quickly. When our heroes get to the emperors palace they talk about dangers and traps but we never really see any of that. Flash legs Tan dosnt show up until over an hour in and Carter is killed in a way that dosnt seem like that was his end. There are some wtf moments like a fight against two men in ape costumes (they are supposed to be apes btw) or how the deformed old man who helps Chia escape the dungeon is revealed to be the big bad in disguise.

ShawAngela
2 hours ago, CoffeeScotchWizard said:

Burning Ambition

MV5BNjRlOTNhMjUtMGI2YS00YjNlLWE4ZGItZjA1NDMzMTY1MmVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc3MjY3NTY@._V1_.jpg

Oh, Frankie Chan is in it! Well, as he has become one of my many favorite actors, I guess that I have to check this movie! :bs_smile:

Posted (edited)

Spy Ring Kokuryukai (Taiwan, 1976: Ting Shan-Hsi) - aka Lady Karate - This is a pseudo-martial arts take on the story of the infamous Manchurian/Japanese spy, Yoshiko Kawashima. The movie is set in the early 1930s, with Kawashima (Chia Ling, in an atypical role) living in Japan. The Japanese army has taken Manchuria, but it's still something of a No Man's Land. The Prime Minister figures that if they can't tame the place before the Nationalist Army arrives, they'll lose it. So, they decide to set up the puppet state of Manchukuo, with "the Last Emperor" Pu Yi. Yoshiko is given the task to help Pu Yi escape from his exile mansion in Tientsin and take him to Manchuria.

The premise is pretty simple, but the execution is a bit complicated. There are a lot of different parties getting in the way, and for their own reasons. The local Japanese authorities, led by Lung Hsiung and Miao Tien, are something of a hindrance to her...although I'm not really sure why. There is a band of anti-Japanese revolutionaries led by Chang Yi, who also moonlights as a cape-and-mask hero called the Plum Bandit. The Plum Bandit is eventually joined by a Nationalist spy named Bluebird (Sally Chen). There is a rival spy played by Kam Kong who's in love with Yoshiko. There is a random bunch of Japanese samurai led by Yi Yuan. Finally, Yoshiko's own estranged Mongolian husband, Ganjuurjab (Tien Yeh), shows up to complicate things even more.

Despite the American title, there isn't a whole lot of fighting in this. There is a fight at the very beginning where Chia Ling demonstrates her skills against a whole bunch of karate fighters. We're about halfway through when we get a sword-and-knife tussle between Kam Kong and Pu Yi's guards, inlcuding Jimmy Wang Yu regular Hsueh Han. There's a gunfight that becomes a sword-and-bayonet fight between the revolutionaries and the Japanese soldiers which is well staged. The showstopper is a huge raid by the aforementioned samurai on the restaurant that Yoshiko runs her operations from, which has her fighting of dozesn of katana-wielding killers with a tanto dagger. It's the best scene in the film, although I can't place Yi Yuan's motives. Finally, there's a final shoot-out between the revolutionaries and the soldiers as Pu Yi and Yoshiko are escaping into the harbor. 

Oh, and kung fu viewers may be surprised that Chia Ling has two sex scenes in the film, although she might be using a butt double during her sex scene with Kam Kong.

The character of Yoshiko Kawashima has been portrayed in other films and do-ramas:

Beautiful Spy, Kawashima Yoshiko (1955) - portrayed by Pak Ming
Sen'un Ajia no Joō (1957) - portrayed by Miyuki Takakura
The Last Emperior (1987) - portrayed by Maggie Han
Kawashima Yoshiko (1989) - portrayed by Zhang Xiaomin
Kawashima Yoshiko (1990) - portrayed by Anita Mui
Ri Kouran (TV, 2007) - portrayed by Rei Kikukawa
Dansō no Reijin: Kawashima Yoshiko no Shōgai (TV, 2008) - portrayed by Meisa Kuroki
Chasing Kawashima Yoshiko (2023) - portrayed by Lynn Xiong

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Spy Ring Kokuryukai (Taiwan, 1976: Ting Shan-Hsi) - aka Lady Karate - This is a pseudo-martial arts take on the story of the infamous Manchurian/Japanese spy, Yoshiko Kawashima. The movie is set in the early 1930s, with Kawashima (Chia Ling, in an atypical role) living in Japan. The Japanese army has taken Manchuria, but it's still something of a No Man's Land. The Prime Minister figures that if they can't tame the place before the Nationalist Army arrives, they'll lose it. So, they decide to set up the puppet state of Manchukuo, with "the Last Emperor" Pu Yi. Yoshiko is given the task to help Pu Yi escape from his exile mansion in Tientsin and take him to Manchuria.

The premise is pretty simple, but the execution is a bit complicated. There are a lot of different parties getting in the way, and for their own reasons. The local Japanese authorities, led by Lung Hsiung and Miao Tien, are something of a hindrance to her...although I'm not really sure why. There is a band of anti-Japanese revolutionaries led by Chang Yi, who also moonlights as a cape-and-mask hero called the Plum Bandit. The Plum Bandit is eventually joined by a Nationalist spy named Bluebird (Sally Chen). There is a rival spy played by Kam Kong who's in love with Yoshiko. There is a random bunch of Japanese samurai led by Yi Yuan. Finally, Yoshiko's own estranged Mongolian husband, Ganjuurjab (Tien Yeh), shows up to complicate things even more.

Despite the American title, there isn't a whole lot of fighting in this. There is a fight at the very beginning where Chia Ling demonstrates her skills against a whole bunch of karate fighters. We're about halfway through when we get a sword-and-knife tussle between Kam Kong and Pu Yi's guards, inlcuding Jimmy Wang Yu regular Hsueh Han. There's a gunfight that becomes a sword-and-bayonet fight between the revolutionaries and the Japanese soldiers which is well staged. The showstopper is a huge raid by the aforementioned samurai on the restaurant that Yoshiko runs her operations from, which has her fighting of dozesn of katana-wielding killers with a tanto dagger. It's the best scene in the film, although I can't place Yi Yuan's motives. Finally, there's a final shoot-out between the revolutionaries and the soldiers as Pu Yi and Yoshiko are escaping into the harbor. 

Oh, and kung fu viewers may be surprised that Chia Ling has two sex scenes in the film, although she might be using a butt double during her sex scene with Kam Kong.

The character of Yoshiko Kawashima has been portrayed in other films and do-ramas:

Dansō no Reijin: Kawashima Yoshiko no Shōgai (TV, 2008) - portrayed by Meisa Kuroki

Just want to give a shout to @kuenfist as his custom of this film is still the best available. French WS VHS Rip which unfortunately was cut by quite a bit, so he added the English VHS which is 4:3 and window boxed it to make it more seamless & used the audio from it too.

• Like 2

ShawAngela
5 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I watched it so long ago (at least, I believe to have watched it) that I didn't even remember that Chang Yi, Tien Yeh and Yi Yuan played in it! I only remember to have watched Kawashima Yoshiko with Anita Mui and that this movie was just so-so for me. Thanks for the review.

• Like 1

chingdog

I watched Spy Ring back 20 years ago on VHS and wasn't that into it. Seems like Miao Tien was in it?

• Like 1

Beardys Feather

@chingdog Yes Miao Tien was in this. He was good as ever! I love this film, superbly acted and intriguing. There was a high level of cinematography and costuming that made for an atmospheric film.

I think if you go in expecting more drama than action you'll enjoy it... Even if the plot is confusing! 

Would be interested to hear @DrNgors opinion on the film after the detailed synopsis 👍