What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

On 2/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Is this HD transfer avaliable anywhere?

On 2/26/2023 at 8:53 AM, BornToDefense said:

Idk why but Chinese Mack is probably one of my favorite nonsensical retitles of a HK movie meant to remind audiences of another movie. I'd also love to see the HD.

It's readily available at the usual *ahem* community sites.

Screenshot_2023-04-09 The Chinese Mack 1974 DUBBED 1080p AMZN WEBRip DDP2 0 x264-PTerWEB Torrent download.png

• Like 5

BornToDefense
2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

It's readily available at the usual *ahem* community sites.

Found it in the meantime but thank you for the PSA. BTW to anyone looking for The Chinese Godfather in HD, the one I've seen floating around is just the same video as the Chinese Mack retitled. I guess I'm not the only one who can't keep those titles straight.

• Like 4

On 2/18/2023 at 11:58 AM, saltysam said:

Too much print damage to be viable i think. It's really battered.

v4.png

v3.png

v2.png

v1.png

Still the contrast and colors are really good and really pops. But a shame about the print damage as it would need some extensive restoration work to get a clean looking copy fit for a remastered 2K blu ray.

Here are some more screenshots of the rather brutal dog fight scene and Michael Chan Wai-man's ass haha...also, some NSFW ones when Michael has a two-some at a brothel.

vlcsnap-2023-04-09-18h56m17s605.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-04-09-18h57m40s806.jpg

NSFW:

Spoiler

bXbySZ5.jpg

Spoiler

DUcPED1.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

Super Ninja
15 hours ago, BornToDefense said:

Found it in the meantime but thank you for the PSA. BTW to anyone looking for The Chinese Godfather in HD, the one I've seen floating around is just the same video as the Chinese Mack retitled. I guess I'm not the only one who can't keep those titles straight.

Those are actually two different movies, Chinese Godfather and Chinese Mack.

• Like 4

Jizzmaster Jerry

Blind Swordsman’s Revenge- this one is pretty awesome.  Love the fight near the start with Yi Yuen.   Has a bit of an Invincible Super Chan feel, but never becomes as epic or insane.  Just a good movie and well crafted. Can easily pass as a Zatoichi movie.  It’s just a lot faster paced, and obviously Chinese.  I always loved Zatoichi vs the One Armed Swordsman, but I actually like this clone a little more.  Haven’t seen the other Chinese Zatoichi movies but if they are anywhere near as good as this then they would make for an incredible box set.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Yes, the one erroneously labeled as The Chinese Godfather on that torrent site was simply known as Martial Arts but used the aka The Chinese Mack, I guess to capitalize on the blaxploitation craze of the time. The one that @BornToDefense is referring to is called The Chivalrous Knight. You can see it more clearly on the poster here.

ChineseGodfather+1974-64-b.jpg

• Like 6

Wu Tang Magic Kick

Evil Tung Wei and Phillip Ko drive poor John Liu into madness and steal his wife in the process. Well despite being driven insane and suffering a bad leg injury he's coming for revenge. Unfortunately the english dub on this german dvd sounds like it was recorded in a goldfish bowl and the traansfer has some field blending issues.

The Tiger Jump

Raymond Liu arrives from Macau looking for work, he starts in a nightclub then starts fighting baddies pretty much non stop until the end of the movie. Ok bashing action but this german DVD uses an awful lot of inferior source inserts to make up an uncut version and there's so many it's quite jarring.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
7 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Wu Tang Magic Kick

Evil Tung Wei and Phillip Ko drive poor John Liu into madness and steal his wife in the process. Well despite being driven insane and suffering a bad leg injury he's coming for revenge. Unfortunately the english dub on this german dvd sounds like it was recorded in a goldfish bowl and the traansfer has some field blending issues.

The Tiger Jump

Raymond Liu arrives from Macau looking for work, he starts in a nightclub then starts fighting baddies pretty much non stop until the end of the movie. Ok bashing action but this german DVD uses an awful lot of inferior source inserts to make up an uncut version and there's so many it's quite jarring.

Is that a new release for The Tiger Jump or an old DVD? Guessing that's also the best one to get? 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:16 PM, saltysam said:

Chinese Mack

Chan Wai Man is bullied by two brothers as a kid,their dad takes him and his family in, he falls for the sister, learns kung fu and heads off to make his fortune. Loads of brawling basher action ,there's also a needless and horrible dog fight here as well, next time i watch i'll be pressing the skip button.

Print i watched was 101 minutes ,scope and HD,with a lot of print damage. English dubbed.

Been wondering about this for a while. Do you happen to know who the actor is that plays one of Cheng Lei's students at the kung fu school? He is the first one that Michael Chan Wai-man sees when he enters the school. He's the buff guy doing bicep curls and he's the last student that Chan Wai-man fights before he faces off against Cheng Lei. He subdues the physically imposing student with an arm bar type move. That actor is an absolute unit.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2023 at 5:47 AM, Yihetuan said:

Been wondering about this for a while. Do you happen to know who the actor is that plays one of Cheng Lei's students at the kung fu school? He is the first one that Michael Chan Wai-man sees when he enters the school. He's the buff guy doing bicep curls and he's the last student that Chan Wai-man fights before he faces off against Cheng Lei. He subdues the physically imposing student with an arm bar type move. That actor is an absolute unit.

Are you talking about this one ?

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=1893

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

Winner takes all 4/6

Ng as unlucky taxi cab driver that ends up in trouble......Sammo as japanese sumo wrestler

Theres also a Bolo wannabe , perhaps the real thing was busy filming another movie....... 

Its okay , pre-dated DMs kf comedy by a yr 

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 3

Big Boss 2

The Dragon Lee version that has nothing to do with the original, in fact it's closer to FOF as it involves evil japanese and Bolo with a Hitler tache. Phillip Ko in a rare goodie role. Watchable, not great.

Mask Of Death

Don Wong Tao and Chen Sing go at it, as does a young Tung Wei. Despite the cast not very good.

• Like 4

Amsterdam Connection

Woefully bad kung fu flick, it takes some talent to make a boring movie with a cast including Bolo, Chen Sing, Jason Paio Paio.Some nice scenery. As a review on IMDB says, why do the crappiest kung fu movies survive in the best prints?

• Like 4

Chinese hercules (1973). Pretty good story, with a young Bolo as a neck-snapping henchman. Only issue was that the story was driven by everyone except the main character, who spends most of the movie doing bugger all.

• Like 4

legendarycurry
On 4/24/2023 at 9:41 PM, saltysam said:

Amsterdam Connection

Woefully bad kung fu flick, it takes some talent to make a boring movie with a cast including Bolo, Chen Sing, Jason Paio Paio.Some nice scenery. As a review on IMDB says, why do the crappiest kung fu movies survive in the best prints?

This movie is ass. Here is a quote from my review that sums up my feeling pretty well.

"You know it's bad when I am more invested in my laundry than a kung fu movie (I like kung fu movies and dislike doing laundry for the record, though I like kung fu laundry as seen in Dreadnought)."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/10/2020 at 7:10 PM, ShawAngela said:

Damager : nice story about a Chinese acupuncturist. Does anyone know of an aka of this movie ? I thought that it was Chinese kung fu and acupuncture, but a quick look to hkmdb showed me that it's not the same movie : the cast isn't the same as the one mentioned on my box (which has a very unrelated to the movie cover art) and the pictures don't show the same actors either...

Okay, this film's listings are:

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122163/?ref_=tt_mv_close

HKMDB: https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=17272&display_set=eng

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 4/10/2023 at 8:02 PM, Super Ninja said:

I'm confused now, which is the one with the dog fight? I want to put that on my NO list.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
6 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I'm confused now, which is the one with the dog fight? I want to put that on my NO list.

@BornToDefense said it. But I wouldn't skip it just because of that one scene, it's great stuff. I do seem to be alone in that opinion though. 

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

I just know the scene would spoil the whole movie for me, so I'd rather risk missing out on the rest of it :) And there are so very many other movies I can watch or re-watch.

• Like 1

legendarycurry

Saw Infernal Street (1973) as a community movie night thing online a couple days ago. Below average film. Here is my review copied from my Letterboxd:

"Below average 70's kung fu fare of the "evil Japanese vs Chinese hero" variety. Involves a bit of everything: drug dealers, tooth spitting, cherry pits as a way of impressing the ladies, and incredibly unfitting music choices by prolific Jack-of-all-trades Frankie Chan. Fight scenes vary from very unimpressive to watchable. Not a favorite in any way." 2/5

• Like 2

ShawAngela
7 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Saw Infernal Street (1973) as a community movie night thing online a couple days ago. Below average film. Here is my review copied from my Letterboxd:

"Below average 70's kung fu fare of the "evil Japanese vs Chinese hero" variety. Involves a bit of everything: drug dealers, tooth spitting, cherry pits as a way of impressing the ladies, and incredibly unfitting music choices by prolific Jack-of-all-trades Frankie Chan. Fight scenes vary from very unimpressive to watchable. Not a favorite in any way." 2/5

As a fan of Yu Tien Long, I loved every second of it and it was a 5/5 for me. 😇😁

Speaking of "stolen" music, I watched a Thai "soft horror" movie two days ago and I realized that Chinese movies weren't the only ones to borrow music from other movies, and it even had some bits of Chinese movies' music !

• Like 3

legendarycurry
3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

As a fan of Yu Tien Long, I loved every second of it and it was a 5/5 for me. 😇😁

Speaking of "stolen" music, I watched a Thai "soft horror" movie two days ago and I realized that Chinese movies weren't the only ones to borrow music from other movies, and it even had some bits of Chinese movies' music !

glad you liked it so much.

On my Peking Opera Blues DVD there is an interview with the great  composer James Wong Yim. He speaks about working as a film composer in the film industry and making music and in the interview he says something like "unless you do what Frankie Chan does and just steal music" :D . I uploaded it to youtube many years ago I think but the account is long since shutdown.

• Like 3