What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Shaolin kung fu mystagogue

Great movie with Xu Feng, Carter Wong, Chang Yi, Ko Fei and Kong Ban.

Great fights, inventive weapons, mainly Chang Yi's "birds" that are a kind of mix between the flying guillotine and the dragon missile.

That's too bad that Kong Ban didn't have a single fight in this movie, but it's still a great entertaining movie.

• Like 4

The way of the dragon

Years ago, this movie was my least favorite of all Bruce Lee's movies, but the more I watch it, the more I enjoy it and this evening, I laughed a lot at the funny scenes even if I know them by heart !

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

The way of the dragon

Years ago, this movie was my least favorite of all Bruce Lee's movies, but the more I watch it, the more I enjoy it and this evening, I laughed a lot at the funny scenes even if I know them by heart !

It used to be my favourite KF film.

• Like 4

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 11/28/2022 at 6:39 PM, teako170 said:

This one has been in the queue for a looong time. Started exploring and collecting Chi Kuan-Chun's non-Shaw filmography in 2007 and first became aware of The Murder of Murders 玉蜻蜓  aka The Massive (1978). Heard good things about it but didn't actually acquire the film until Dec 2017. Now, after 15 years, I'm finally getting to enjoy it. Better late than never....

Image2.jpg

It’s a classic.  Not super rare, but rare enough that most people probably aren’t aware of it.   Just one of 1000 kung fu flicks that deserve to finally get a proper remaster.

36 Deadly Styles- the ultimate wig movie.  My current favorite movie for awhile now.  Haven’t seen it in a decade, but had a surgery recently and finally had a break from work to marathon a ton of fu.  There’s a stunning fight between Mark Long and Jack Long.  36 is not on par with 7 Grandmasters.  That one is a masterpiece and Joseph Kuo’s  best movie.  But does 7 Grandmasters have Hwang Jang Lee?  36 Deadly Styles does, and he has some killer fights.  Hands behind his back seems to be his main style.  His confidence is at an all time high.   It also has plenty of other fan favorites like Bolo and Cheung Nik.  Chan Lau has his slimiest, funniest and best role of his career ( Dragon on Fire comes close).  Obviously a pieced together movie.  Re-shoots done at the last second to make it complete.  Hwang Jang Lee doesn’t  appear in some of his scenes.  Even in a couple of his fights he’s doubled for the entire fight.  I’d compare 36 to Mystery of Chess Boxing and World of Drunken Master.  It’s a rush job.  But with a ton of great fights, and they can be considered minor masterpieces.  And a funny movie.  The effort was there.   The final fight is well done.  Hwang Jang Lee is overpowered like usual.  Too many movies have the hero do a bunch of flips or some other bullshit to defeat the OP HJL.  But 36 is one of the few that comes up with a creative way to outsmart him.   I can see HJL asking Joseph Kuo do I really need to have all this smoke blowing in my face?  The smoke and fire are real.  This sucks.  Yes we need you to get through it!  because you’re too damn tough!   I had a blast rewatching it. It remains my favorite movie.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Shaolin and Wu Tang-Not a Shaw Bros studio production but it has all the hall marks of one.From the actors and choreography to the sets,this is a great film.

• Like 5

Bravest fist 2/6 , found it very boring.....just watched cuz Michael Chan is in it

Aces go places II , 4/6.....nonsense plot but funny , esp Baldys kid :coveredlaugh 

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 3

Aces go places III , 4/6......a few 007 references in this one : the bad guy looks kinda like Connery & henchmen played by Richard Kiel and Oddjob imitator (had this been filmed say 1980-81 they couldve had the real thing as Sakata was still around) , its a fun movie....nice Paris location

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 4

Knockabout (1979)- Some very impressive (if a bit exhausting) training and fight scenes , some very lame , annoying comedy .  It has to be said that the first half hour of Knockabout is so damn stupid that on the first watch , my mind started to wander 30 minutes in and  I ended up turning it off. 

The next day I told myself I was going to watch the whole thing and pay attention, only to then end up falling asleep a few minutes later ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

shukocarl1441996347
6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Great movie. Did you watch the uncut version ?

Unfortunately only the short cut. I only ever had the longer cut on a bootleg vhs.:unsure:

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 5:34 PM, HeavenSword said:

Knockabout (1979)- Some very impressive (if a bit exhausting) training and fight scenes , some very lame , annoying comedy .  It has to be said that the first half hour of Knockabout is so damn stupid that on the first watch , my mind started to wander 30 minutes in and  I ended up turning it off. 

The next day I told myself I was going to watch the whole thing and pay attention, only to then end up falling asleep a few minutes later ! 

I actually did that the first time Crouching tiger, hidden dragon came out. Foreigners raved about it saying it was the best martial arts film ever and when I saw if, I just said this is crap. Took me 6 months and 4 attempts to go further than 15 minutes. 

Finally finished the movie. It wasn't that great. A poxy movie to entice foreigners to Chinese martial art films. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I actually did that the first time Crouching tiger, hidden dragon came out. Foreigners raved about it saying it was the best martial arts film ever and when I saw if, I just said this is crap. Took me 6 months and 4 attempts to go further than 15 minutes. 

Finally finished the movie. It wasn't that great. A poxy movie to entice foreigners to Chinese martial art films. 

I didn't like it at all. After I finished it years ago, I thought "all these praises just for THAT ?!!". Maybe had I not watched so many Shaws and independent movies before I would have loved it, but frankly, this movie didn't a good way to introduce people to what is a true martial arts movie !

• Like 5

ironfistedmonk

I like Crouching Tiger, the 2 fights between Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Zhiyi are quite good despite me knot being a fan of wire work, but I don't think it's much of an introduction to martial arts movies as the wuxia world is confusing and complicated even after you've seen dozens of them.

Just got through Beach of the War Gods, I'm not a big fan of Jimmy Wang Yu, think he's a bit of a shit actor personally but I enjoyed this one, the second half of the film is basically one big epic battle which I wasn't expecting

• Like 3

Aces go places IV , 4/6.......King Kong & Baldy travel to NZ , the bad guy is the nazi from first Indy Jones......hes after a prism that makes you invincible. The best scene imo was the one with Baldys kid

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Karateclaws said:

Watching Wheels On Meals after a shift at work! 💪

Nice, don't be expecting the best "film" in the world, but when it comes to that final fight between JC and The Jet, fasten your seatbelt.

• Like 3

Yes Madam ( 1985)-  5 star action , 2 star movie. 

if you didn’t get annoyed anytime Tsui Hark , John Shum and Mang Hoi were all in a scene together , you deserve a medal . All that damn bickering 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 3

ironfistedmonk

Not sure it counts as a classic martial arts film, but I watched Ironside 426 last night which starred a few old skool stalwarts Jason Pai Piao, Hon Kwok Choi, Cheng Kei Ying and Michelle Lai, early 70's triad movie with a few fights in there, an early cops v triads movie with a few tropes that would be repeated in later movies, it was alright

• Like 3

Coliseum1972

italian version Way of Dragon : different soundtrack , the music is more sad and the theme song is more cheeky sounding with the guitar/organ......lol

Bank scene was cut at least on the vhs version I saw

I believe they also cut Chen Ti's final dialogue : "wherever Tang Lung goes he will always travel on his own"

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 3

On 12/30/2022 at 1:48 AM, Karateclaws said:

Watching Wheels On Meals after a shift at work! 💪

I was laughing hard because I was convinced I read “watching wheels on meals after a shit at work”

• Haha 3

Coliseum1972

Ninja strikes back 4/6 , watched this after Way since both takes place in Rome

My lucky stars 4/6 , I expected to laugh more , only funny scene is Ng thinking hes invisible......some cool roller skate scenes with Jackie but this is a Sammo movie. Nice to see James Tien as the bad guy 

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Coliseum1972 said:

My lucky stars 4/6 , I expected to laugh more , only funny scene is Ng thinking hes invisible......some cool roller skate scenes with Jackie but this is a Sammo movie. Nice to see James Tien as the bad guy 

That's Winners and Sinners.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 3:20 AM, WangYu said:

I was laughing hard because I was convinced I read “watching wheels on meals after a shit at work”

Hahaha I wish I had the time to do that at work, busy busy 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rage Of The Master

This is also known as Wang Yu-The Destroyer, despite the presence of Lung Fei and Yu's usual band of brothers it's a pretty mediocre effort as Jimmy doesn't fight much till towards the end, when he cuts loose.The print i watched wasn't great, looked like fake widescreen to me.

• Like 1