What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

19 hours ago, teako170 said:

This is two of my overflow stacks. Haven't watched anything in here in several years, but lately been wanting to pop one or two into the player. What would you recommend?

Image1.jpg

Yes, Jade Claw, as @Shaolin Patriot recommended, Dance of Death or Deaf and Mute Heroine. Those are some of my faves. 

• Like 4

Revengeful swordswoman : As far as a huge fan of Chia Ling I am (hum, not sure if this sentence is correct regarding the syntax !), I never got into this movie. Yet, she is my top favorite actress ex aequo with Angela Mao outside the Shaws !

First, I disliked Chia Ling's haircut !

Second, though the fights are good, well... I was a little bit bored ! Wen Chiang Long's "no expression" face was boring, and I felt that this movie was just a succession of fights and that's all.

Regarding the print itself, it's a great job with a marvelous quality print, congratulations @JDecloux !

• Like 4

No one can touch her : THIS was a great movie ! I loved it. It was the first time I watched it, and I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end !

Seeing two of my favorite actresses Sun Chi Lin and Chia Ling in the same movie was great, and the other actress also was very good in her fight scenes.

The actor playing Chia Ling's fiancé was very good, and such a venomous snake ! I had no idea of what he really was up to until the end, very good plot !

Chia Ling's drunken style was great. It's the first time I see a woman using this style. Does anyone know if there are other movies with a female fighter using drunken style ?

• Like 6

The escape I watched this movie many years ago, and I only remembered that Chia Ling helped Yang Kuan to escape.

They both paired well and did a good job in this movie, and Chia Ling shines in her role and her fights.

Great movie.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Star blazers. Isn't that anime? Space Battleship Yamato. 

Yes. Watched in early 80s and got discs around 2005. Watched once but never got into the 2nd series.

• Like 4

The Old Master (1979) - I admit, I turned this one off first time around. I just didn't seem like my type of film. But after being pushed by a friend to revisit it, I put it on again yesterday. Shockingly, I quite liked it!
It's a silly film. Goofy. But it never gets too goofy. It walks a nice line. There are a bunch of enjoyable fight scenes in the first third of the time, then the middle kind of devolves into hijinks, completely with a way-too-long disco scene (which I actually enjoyed). Then we get more fight scenes towards the end. Including some surprising Bruceploitation-style screams.
What most people see as the film's biggest flaw didn't really bother me: the fact that Yu Jim-Yuen is doubled in every single fight scene. I was ok with it. The fights were shot well and choreographed excellently. I don't know much about the fight choreographer, Chan Siu-Pang, but it looks like he's done some decent work.

All in all, a fun film. Not one I'm eager to revisit (it just isn't that kind of film), but one I had a good time with. Certainly not a classic though.

• Like 3

legendarycurry
12 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The Old Master (1979) - I admit, I turned this one off first time around. I just didn't seem like my type of film. But after being pushed by a friend to revisit it, I put it on again yesterday. Shockingly, I quite liked it!
It's a silly film. Goofy. But it never gets too goofy. It walks a nice line. There are a bunch of enjoyable fight scenes in the first third of the time, then the middle kind of devolves into hijinks, completely with a way-too-long disco scene (which I actually enjoyed). Then we get more fight scenes towards the end. Including some surprising Bruceploitation-style screams.
What most people see as the film's biggest flaw didn't really bother me: the fact that Yu Jim-Yuen is doubled in every single fight scene. I was ok with it. The fights were shot well and choreographed excellently. I don't know much about the fight choreographer, Chan Siu-Pang, but it looks like he's done some decent work.

All in all, a fun film. Not one I'm eager to revisit (it just isn't that kind of film), but one I had a good time with. Certainly not a classic though.

is this Peking opera sifu to the stars Yu Jim Yuen?

• Like 4

Yesterday, I watched Death duel of kung fu for the second or third time and I enjoyed it very much.

I also watched Fighting ace again, and i enjoyed it too.very good plot and superb fights.

• Like 3

Buddah's palm and dragon fist

Great non-stop action movie. Chi Kuan Chun and Li Yi Min paired very well in this movie, in which each of them is used by a villain in order to get rid of his ancient accomplices, without knowing that they are on the same mission at the beginning.

The credits ate the beginning are obviously copied on the ones of The hot, the cool and the vicious ! First, I thought that I had mistakenly got this one twice !

• Like 3

Pink force commando

What a silly movie, with a so thin plot that it's like there wasn't any. I had watched Golden Queen Commando in the 80's and had liked it at that time, but I remember that it was a silly movie too. I don't know which one is the sequel to the other. There are some short fights that are a little bit interesting, but that's all, and I regret to have bought the Asia Line release of this movie that I had never watched. the picture quality isn't even good !

• Like 3

Fierce among strong

THAT is an interesting movie, though it seems to me that the German version on the Asia Line release is even more cut than the English version I had watched months ago, because I ddin't see the scene where Kang Kai shows what is in his bag, nor the scenes where he trains with Li Yi Min (who looks like a teenager here since his face is so young !) and it seems to me that these scenes were in the other version.

• Like 2

Escaped convict

Chen Hui Min plays a reserve policeman who have been framed for a robbery and a murder by people who wanted him to help them to rob the jewelry where he worked. He escapes from prison and together with his fiancée Si Ming, he tries to find the bandits and put them in prison.

Among the bandits, I recognized Chan Lau and Tino Wong.

Very good movie but very poor quality print.

And I'm so angry that Si Ming didn't have a single fight in this movie ! She only had to wait for Chen Hui Min, cry and ran with him !! I made a quick search on her and found that she is Lee Ka Ting's wife and that their son is also an actor.

• Like 3

Silent guest from Peking

The dvd I have is Chinese and English subbed, but the English subtitles are tiny and in addition to that, some letters are missing, so, I couldn't properly understand the plot.

A man called "Instructor Pan" in the movie, but mentioned as an inspector on hkmdb arrives in a city where Han Ying Chieh's men and another boss' men are always fighting. Mang Hoi plays Han Ying Chieh's young son and Chang Li plays the other boss' son.

There is also Tan Tao Liang's brother playing a general who arrives in the town and hides in Linda Ho's inn. And there is another man (wearing white clothes) and his bodyguard who plot against him, if I understood well. There is also an old man, his daughter and a group of people who plot against the government (I heard the word Kuomingtan) and they have secret documents or artillery, I don't remember.

The bad man and his bodyguard kills Chang Li's father and manages to make Instructor Pan the scapegoat, hence, some fights between the two camps (Pan works for han Ying Chieh), but they finally find that a third party tried to push them against each other. 

Tan Tao Kung manages to kill the man in white who tried to kill him and killed Linda Ho, and at the end, Pan and another man fight with Tan Tao Kung, without even asking him who he is, thinking that it's him who killed Chang Li's father (from what I understood).

There are some nice fights between the actor playing Pan and Chang Li, Mang Hoi and some of this latter's men, Han Ying Chieh and Chang Li, and both Han Ying Chieh and Pan against Chang Li.

Tan Tao Kung also uses a lot of kicks like his brother.

Good movie, but too bad that I couldn't properly follow the plot.

• Like 3

Picked up a DVD of Master of the Flying Guillotine AKA One Armed boxer vs The Flying Guillotine.

The intro music was definitely interesting. Like Chinese rock music. The print itself is in rather poor shape. If there was a remastered blu ray, I've missed out on getting that, so opted for the dvd. 

I can't say much about it other than I enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't cack. There's just The Flying Guillotine to watch now (once I find the English srt)

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
18 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

Picked up a DVD of Master of the Flying Guillotine AKA One Armed boxer vs The Flying Guillotine.

The intro music was definitely interesting. Like Chinese rock music. The print itself is in rather poor shape. If there was a remastered blu ray, I've missed out on getting that, so opted for the dvd. 

I can't say much about it other than I enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't cack. There's just The Flying Guillotine to watch now (once I find the English srt)

It's German music.

• Like 3

This one has been in the queue for a looong time. Started exploring and collecting Chi Kuan-Chun's non-Shaw filmography in 2007 and first became aware of The Murder of Murders 玉蜻蜓  aka The Massive (1978). Heard good things about it but didn't actually acquire the film until Dec 2017. Now, after 15 years, I'm finally getting to enjoy it. Better late than never....

Image2.jpg

Edited by teako170
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

It's German music.

Oh right. My DVD wasn't German. Is this original music from the film or added later when the film was released onto disc format.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
10 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Oh right. My DVD wasn't German. Is this original music from the film or added later when the film was released onto disc format.

Depends which DVD you have. The film used to have music by the German band Neu, but the most recent releases removed it.

This is the music in question

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Depends which DVD you have. The film used to have music by the German band Neu, but the most recent releases removed it.

This is the music in question

Thanks very much. I had a butchers at the comments too. Some of the were Japanese and they love Jimmy's film. 

• Like 2

Chaochow guy

It's alwasy a big enjoyment to see Tien Peng and Nancy Yen kicking and punching everybody in a movie ! Champ Wang had two good fights, but has a so sad ending in this movie, just because he was a righteous and too good fighter for the villains ! According to hkmdb, this was his first movie and he looks so young, here !

ChaochowGuy+1972-8-t.jpg

ChaochowGuy+1972-28-t.jpg

ChaochowGuy+1972-29-t.jpg

• Like 2