What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

2 hours ago, sym8 said:

The Big Risk-Great film with tons of action(pity mine was an old vhs copy put on a dvd though)Would love to see this on a blu

Little Superman-Another action packed film with a finale that goes on and on.Bruce Liang is quality,again I’d love to see a better quality release of this.

Both great movies. Chang Li and Bruce Liang are excellent.

• Like 3

Double Bill - Kung Fu Means Fist, Strikes & Swords (1978) & Shaolin Ex-Monk (1978), didnt rate this one much, the choreography is below average. Its also laced with far too much bad dodgy humor. Shaolin Ex-Monk with John Liu was in a different league, some top notch fight scenes, and probably made on the same kind of budget.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Shaolin Ex-Monk with John Liu was in a different league, some top notch fight scenes, and probably made on the same kind of budget.

When Alan Chui passed away a few days ago, I saw some people pointing to this one as their favorite film of his.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Kung Fu Means Fist, Strikes & Swords (1978) ... didnt rate this one much, the choreography is below average.

But the finale is very long, even by old school standards. Perhaps quantity is its own type of quality?

• Like 2

legendarycurry
46 minutes ago, Django said:

The Green Jade Statuette

Lee Tso Nam never fails to entertain and deliver a great kung fu flick!

7,5/10

"The Tattoo Connection has entered the chat" :)

seriously though, Green Jade Statuette is def on my to watch list.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
53 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Tattoo Connection? Jim Kelly,Chen Sing,Bolo and Tan Tao Liang.i want a collector's edition 4k release right now.

I hope it comes true for you. I also hope I never have to watch such an inferior martial arts film with so much talent involved ever again ;)

• Like 1

Haven't seen Tattoo Connection yet but it's on my watch list. I'm sure I will enjoy it in someway! Edge of Fury is probably the one that I have enjoyed the least so far, but I still found it to be entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

legendarycurry
42 minutes ago, Django said:

Haven't seen Tattoo Connection yet but it's on my watch list. I'm sure I will enjoy it in someway! Edge of Fury is probably the one that I have enjoyed the least so far, but I still found it to be entertaining.

Only decent part was the music "composed" (in that he took bits and pieces of other people's stuff pretty much) by good old Frankie Chan , Hong Kong's best sampler (shoutouts to @Cognoscente for this great way of describing much of Frankie's musical efforts).

Some nice tunes in there for sure!

(No offense Mr Chan, I know you have original compositions too, love your stuff in Prodigal Son for one!)

• Like 3

legendarycurry
2 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

My problem with Tattoo Connection is for a film with an American star and a blaxploitation theme, the dubbing is far too posh!

Ah yes the opposite problem of Legend of a Fighter's old dub. A  biographical martial arts drama about a master and student's relationship driven apart by political unrest and racism. Not quite so sure they dropped the F bomb as often in the Fok Yuen Gap days as the dubbers might have you believe. I legit burst out laughing when a dying Phillip Ko burst out "Fuck You!" at one point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

I also hope I never have to watch such an inferior martial arts film with so much talent involved ever again ;)

I never watched Tatto connection, but I just watched My darling gals and your comment applies for this movie. Many great stars in it: Wilson Tong as the lead, Fung Har On, Sammo, Pai Paio, Kitty Meng Chui, Lee Ka Ting, Chang Li and others but I was BORED !! There are some unrelated scenes to each others for a long whil at the beginning, then, the story seems more interesting, but the subtitles were really difficult to read (white on white !) and the only good things in this movie are the fights. Eric Tsang fights with Wilson Tong, Sammo is badly beaten, and finally Wilson Tong is defeated by Fung Hark On, but the plot is nonsensical at the end ! This latter is chased by Ting Pei, then, he suddenly appears with different clothes and is chased by Pai Piao and his friends for an unknown reason !

• Like 3

On the same disc as My Darling Gals, there was Fists of the double K, that I rewatched with enjoyment. When I first watched it on the Basher Box, I hadn't reallized that Jackie Chan played in it, and I also spotted Tino Wong !

Great movie, excellent fights, and bits of music borrowed from The hot, the cool and the vicious beginning theme, all what I love !

• Like 3

Yesterday, I watched The young tiger 1973. I had watched it for the first time ages ago on a bad quality print VHS and I had enjoyed it, mainly because of Yuen Qiu's performance. I enjoyed it the same way yesterday. I had forgotten that the beautiful Pei Ti and Hu Chin played in it, and that Charlie Chin was the hero. I read some comments despising this movie, and Jackie Chan's performance as well, but I thought that he did well in his bad guy's role (is it his only bad guy role ?) and that it's a good movie. Of course, not as good as a Shaws' movie, but still enjoyable.

• Like 3

legendarycurry
7 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I never watched Tatto connection, but I just watched My darling gals and your comment applies for this movie. Many great stars in it: Wilson Tong as the lead, Fung Har On, Sammo, Pai Paio, Kitty Meng Chui, Lee Ka Ting, Chang Li and others but I was BORED !! There are some unrelated scenes to each others for a long whil at the beginning, then, the story seems more interesting, but the subtitles were really difficult to read (white on white !) and the only good things in this movie are the fights. Eric Tsang fights with Wilson Tong, Sammo is badly beaten, and finally Wilson Tong is defeated by Fung Hark On, but the plot is nonsensical at the end ! This latter is chased by Ting Pei, then, he suddenly appears with different clothes and is chased by Pai Piao and his friends for an unknown reason !

i replied to this but it didn't submit so here it goes again:

I never heard of this movie before for some reason. What an amazing cast! Based on what you wrote though I might not need to seek this one out.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
1 minute ago, ShawAngela said:

Yesterday, I watched The young tiger 1973. I had watched it for the first time ages ago on a bad quality print VHS and I had enjoyed it, mainly because of Yuen Qiu's performance. I enjoyed it the same way yesterday. I had forgotten that the beautiful Pei Ti and Hu Chin played in it, and that Charlie Chin was the hero. I read some comments despising this movie, and Jackie Chan's performance as well, but I thought that he did well in his bad guy's role (is it his only bad guy role ?) and that it's a good movie. Of course, not as good as a Shaws' movie, but still enjoyable.

I recently put Young Tiger AKA Policewoman as Jackie's worst film from the 70's in a post I made in the JC topic :D
But I am glad you like it! i don't know if this counts but he did try to assault Angela Mao in Enter The Dragon, can one be more evil than that?

• Like 2

legendarycurry
5 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Of course, not as good as a Shaws' movie,

Depends on which Shaw's movie I say! I don't like this movie at all but it is still better than SB's Bewitched in my opinion :D

But I of course respect your opinion.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

he did try to assault Angela Mao in Enter The Dragon,

Really ?! Well, I watched it so long ago that I don't remember this, and of course, as it was a small role, I may not have spotted him in the group who assaulted Angela Mao !

• Like 2

Some days ago, I watched The postman fights back.

I don't know why, by I had avoided this movie for years... yes, I know why, it's because I'm  not a so great fan of Chow Yun Fat, and as most of the dvds covers show him as the hero, I avoided.

What a superb movie ! And it's Beardy who is the hero. Chow Yun Fat has some good fights, and Fan Mei Sheng plays in it as well.

There are great sceneries, and Eddy Ko Hung is so bad, there. But there are some questions that came to my mind while watching it: since Ko Hung had the intention to kill the men after their mission, why didn't he simply deliver the goods by himself instead of attacking them in order to rob them ? And who are the masked killers who attacked the heroes also in order to rob the goods ? Were they on Ko Hung's side or not ? I think that I'll have to rewatch the movie in order to better understand, maybe I didn't pay enough attention during the viewing.

• Like 3

legendarycurry
23 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Some days ago, I watched The postman fights back.

I don't know why, by I had avoided this movie for years... yes, I know why, it's because I'm  not a so great fan of Chow Yun Fat, and as most of the dvds covers show him as the hero, I avoided.

What a superb movie ! And it's Beardy who is the hero. Chow Yun Fat has some good fights, and Fan Mei Sheng plays in it as well.

There are great sceneries, and Eddy Ko Hung is so bad, there. But there are some questions that came to my mind while watching it: since Ko Hung had the intention to kill the men after their mission, why didn't he simply deliver the goods by himself instead of attacking them in order to rob them ? And who are the masked killers who attacked the heroes also in order to rob the goods ? Were they on Ko Hung's side or not ? I think that I'll have to rewatch the movie in order to better understand, maybe I didn't pay enough attention during the viewing.

At this point in his career Chow Yun Fat was basically box office poison and  Leung Kar Yan would definitely be the bigger star at this point and the marketable name. The only reason Chow is all over all the DVD covers and stuff is because he is the bigger international star now. I don't even think he had acted in The Bund at this point, so he was basically a person with no cinema successes as a leading man/headliner. The Bund AKA SHANGHAI BEACH made him more prolific, leading to stuff like Hong Kong 1941, but Better Tomorrow made him a superstar.

I'm curious, what is it about Chow that you don't like so much? Is it his fighting or his overall acting ability? Do share!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

At this point in his career Chow Yun Fat was basically box office poison and  Leung Kar Yan would definitely be the bigger star at this point and the marketable name. The only reason Chow is all over all the DVD covers and stuff is because he is the bigger international star now. I don't even think he had acted in The Bund at this point, so he was basically a person with no cinema successes as a leading man/headliner. The Bund AKA SHANGHAI BEACH made him more prolific, leading to stuff like Hong Kong 1941, but Better Tomorrow made him a superstar.

I'm curious, what is it about Chow that you don't like so much? Is it his fighting or his overall acting ability? Do share!

I'll answer tomorrow...

He played in the TVBseries called The Bund in 1982, if I'm not mistaken. And I slowly changed my mind about him after watching The replacement killers.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

legendarycurry
6 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I'll answer tomorrow...

He played in the TVBseries called The Bund in 1982, if I'm not mistaken. And I slowly changed my mind about him after watching The replacement killers.

Seems reasonable. I don't know where you are in the world but it is 1 am where I am. The only reason I am able to keep on going is because I had 3 energy drinks and no ADD medicine today lol. So I understand if discussing the intricacies of your opinions on an actor is a bit much right now :D

You are most probably right, I'm not the best with numbers or years lol. Ask me when 97 Aces Go Places was released and I'll probably say 1987 :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

legendarycurry
18 minutes ago, WangYu said:

Only after ringing twice

You just got yourself a follower. This is gold in it's utter randomness/suitably semi-comedic and anti-humorish zingerhood. Haven't ironically laughed this much without even cracking a smile since I saw Fantasy Mission Force. I rate 1/10 and 10/10

• Like 2
  • Haha 1