What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Chu Liu Hsiang

SHAOLIN PLOT - Shaolin Temple is extraordinarily good-looking here. So much talent in one movie! Pity Kam Kong's character did not make it to the final. Contender for Sammo's Most Silly Looks Top Five.  Definitely one to rewatch.

• Like 4

Snuff Bottle Connection

I like this one a whole lot, it really hits the sweet spot for me when it comes to classsic old school kung fu. 

• Like 3

The Young Tiger

Meng Fei is framed for murdering Dean Shek by a gang leader.He's not taking it lying down.Ok modern day set basher.

My Kung Fu 12 Kicks

Bruce Leung,Ku Feng in ok kung fu action with doses of comedy.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

THE 18 BRONZEMEN - iconic. Tien Peng is more convincing in swordsman movies, he has a natural born swordsman look. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 3

On 7/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, Django said:

Snuff Bottle Connection

I like this one a whole lot, it really hits the sweet spot for me when it comes to classsic old school kung fu. 

One of my favorite movies. I discovered it not long ago, and I loved it, especially Yeh Fei Yang.

• Like 2

Hot Pursuit

I had watched it years ago, and I laughed as much as when I first watched it. That's too bad that Asia Line didn't manage to properly put the subtitles in order that they aren't cut at both sides, but well, at lease, we finally have a legit version of the movie..

• Like 1

Inspector Karate

Once again, a legit version of an old movie, as a German release. The first time I watched it years ago, I thought that the little boy was Chiao Chiao's son, but in the Mandarin language, when she helps the bandits to kidnap him, I heard that she said that she was his father's friend. I had totallly forgotten that Shintaro Katsu played a Zaroichi-like triad member in this movie !

• Like 2

The Buddhist Fist

I read so many good comments on this movie that I finally bought it and I enjoyed it a lot, though the story had a too sad ending for my taste.

• Like 3

Funny Kung Fu - first time watch. Carter Wong and Chu Tiet Wo (Crystal Fist) play the main villains with Wong using a deadly Snake style to kill his opponents. Our hero, played by Jacky Liu, learns from different masters, including Jason Pai Piao and Cheng Lei, and even comes up with his own "chicken style" kung fu to take on Wong in the finale. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Inspector Karate

Once again, a legit version of an old movie, as a German release. The first time I watched it years ago, I thought that the little boy was Chiao Chiao's son, but in the Mandarin language, when she helps the bandits to kidnap him, I heard that she said that she was his father's friend. I had totallly forgotten that Shintaro Katsu played a Zaroichi-like triad member in this movie !

This is not Shintaro Katsu. It is a taiwanese actor Sheng Lung / Sing Lung.  https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=15323&display_set=eng

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kuenfist said:

This is not Shintaro Katsu. It is a taiwanese actor Sheng Lung / Sing Lung.  https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=15323&display_set=eng

Oh, yes, but I thought that it was Shintaro Katsu's Chinese name, since I saw him playing Zatoichi in several movies ! Sorry for the mistake and thanks for correcting me.

• Like 2

浪子快刀
On 2022/7/18 at PM7点16分, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

18 青铜- 标志性的。天鹏在剑客电影中更有说服力,他有天生的剑客形象。 

The unedited version of the film is better.

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
10 hours ago, 浪子快刀 said:

The unedited version of the film is better.

I watched the Eureka main version which they say is the Japanese cut. The reconstruction of the theatrical Hong Kong version is also included, so I can watch it next. Is that the unedited version or are there even more versions? 

• Like 1

浪子快刀
1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I watched the Eureka main version which they say is the Japanese cut. The reconstruction of the theatrical Hong Kong version is also included, so I can watch it next. Is that the unedited version or are there even more versions? 

This 97 minute version is the original version, although he cut the original film in a strange proportion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uH3ALc6HyRQ&t=498s

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Kung Fu The Headcrusher

you know you are in for a good time when within the first five minutes you've got Chen Sing,Henry Yu,Mars & Fung Hark-On bashing each other on a pier in a remote town. In a who's who of basher greats we've also got Cheung Nik,Sun Lan, Fang Yeh,Shan Kwai ,Chin Sang-Yuet kicking ass. Unusually Sun Lan is the boss in this one rather than the slimey lackey.Fang Yeh is a cheating bastard who uses a chain as a whip. We need restored HD versions of this, Rage Of Wind,Gathering Of Heroes, Invisible Fist,Bloody Fists,Gold Snatchers,Black Panther. Unfortunately it will never happen, the HD of Bloody Fists probably the closest we'll get.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Isn't the German dvd/mediabook a good quality release ?

It's wide-screen but is rough looking.needs a HD restoration.

• Like 3

Master with Cracked Fingers

I feel like I’ve only seen very negative reviews of this. I also noticed it was always included in those cheapo sets and pushed it as a Jackie Chan movie - so I figured he probably had some bit role and it was a garbage movie.

Honestly, in the grand scheme of old school kung fu movies - this is above average. For a hokey cut and splice flick, it might even be “good.”

Solid fights, good *unintentional* comedy with a non-sense dub, at one point a character threatens to cut another characters phone line - it’s a period film.

There’s 20 minutes or so in the middle with Dean Shek and Simon Yuen that is a slog to get through.

Have spent time on far worse Fu flicks.

• Like 2

Dragon Force

Bruce Baron,heavily reminding me of Joe Lewis, is an agent sent to rescue a kidnapped princess,however he must join the titular Dragon Force squad headed by Bruce Li.Bonkers movie very entertaining and very stupid, i reckon the preposterous sequence where Ho Chung Tao initiates Bruce Baron into the squad was the sequence where Chung Tao decided he'd jumped the shark and retired from the industry. :rofl

• Like 2

Shaolin vs Ninja 

Received the fine german blu-ray yesterday and couldn't wait to pop it in. I didn't know what I was in for! I have read very mixed reviews and comments on it but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with it. The fights and stunts was all very well done, nice camera work aswell. According to Toby Russells Robert Tai filmography this was done back in 80/81, which makes it even more impressive to me. 

ShaolinVsNinja+1983-3-b.jpg

• Like 5

Manchurian Avenger

Think this was my introduction to Bobby Kim, a martial arts western featuring a small role for Bill Superfoot Wallace. Unfotunately it's garbage, crap action and a boring storyline. File under delete from hard drive immediately.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Superb one, and very good quality print, with brillant colors.

Agreed, I was actually shocked how vibrant this is.

• Like 2