What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

ShawAngela
30 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Kung Fu Zombie Vs Tigerclaw

Stupid title for a bonkers movie that commits the fatal mistake of being boring despite being bonkers.Tung Wei and Lo Lieh star, i find Tung Wei a charismar-free lead at the best of times. We do get a tiger here though,one that talks to the audience in the english dub.

I guess that it's Tiger Love, right ?

• Like 2

The Goose Boxer

Charles Heung and Phillip Ko feature,plenty of unfunny comedy,average fights.disappointing,the Asia Line DVD is english dubbed but cropped.

Queen Boxer

Good kick ass old school bashing with Judy Lee.She aims to take down a Shanghai town's crime boss,played by the Police chief from Fists Of The Double K. A slam dunk exhausting climax.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, saltysam said:

Queen Boxer

Good kick ass old school bashing with Judy Lee.She aims to take down a Shanghai town's crime boss,played by the Police chief from Fists Of The Double K. A slam dunk exhausting climax.

She plays Ma Su Chen coming to take revenge on her brother's Ma Yong Zhen's assassin. Is it in English ? Or by an amazing stroke of luck, could it be in Mandarin with English subtitles ?

• Like 3

English dub, with bits of german dialogue english subbed where no english dub existed i assume.Same as the previous DVD, i don't get Asia Line, they promote the inferior film as the main draw and relegate the superior movie to the bonus movie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

English dub, with bits of german dialogue english subbed where no english dub existed i assume.Same as the previous DVD, i don't get Asia Line, they promote the inferior film as the main draw and relegate the superior movie to the bonus movie.

Thanks. I don't see either why they release movies that already had German releases instead of releasing other movies that we are all longing for...

• Like 3

Super Ninja
On 6/11/2022 at 7:09 PM, saltysam said:

Charles Heung and Phillip Ko feature,plenty of unfunny comedy,average fights.disappointing,the Asia Line DVD is english dubbed but cropped.

Do you know if it's an upgrade over the Brooklyn Zoo Goose Boxer/Tiger Over Wall DVD? Mine should arrive this week, together with Kung Fu vs. Yoga.

Average? Really? 

• Like 2

Super Ninja
4 hours ago, saltysam said:

Never seen the Brooklyn Zoo release.I wasn't impressed with the film tbh.

That's fair. It's been a while since I watched it, but I remember Tommy Lee's action being the strongpoint of the movie, maybe even making it one of the better HK indies out there. Thought that was the general opinion actually. Will probably rewatch when my DVD arrives. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

but I remember Tommy Lee's action being the strongpoint of the movie, maybe even making it one of the better HK indies out there. Thought that was the general opinion actually.

I was really impressed with the movie the first time I saw it. The second time around, it was a case of Great Action, the rest was a slog.

• Like 2

I've never used drugs in my life.  And now that I've finally seen Zu: Warriors From The Magic Mountain, I never have to.  What a wild, wild, wild movie!  It's like a turbo-charged version of The Battle Wizard, combined with the insane imagination of Fantasy Mission Force.  The movie runs at a break neck pace, rushing from one special effects spectacle to another, with only the slightest pauses for anything resembling characterization.  As for plot, there's explosive bursts of exposition akin to an auctioneer reciting passages of The Silmariilion.  Weeks pass in between individual scenes without cluing the audience in.  A major set-piece occurs at a mountaintop monastery, only to be revisited almost verbatim mere minutes later.  Moonraker's double-taking pigeon is dethroned from its perch by an even more ridiculous and superfluous animal scene.  I didn't think that was possible. 

I really don't know what to make of it.  It's an exhausting movie, in a good way.  It just left me in a perpetual state of "What the hell is happening?!"  If nothing else, I was never bored!

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang
4 hours ago, starschwar said:

plot, there's explosive bursts of exposition akin to an auctioneer reciting passages of The Silmariilion. 

This sentence makes my day, wonderful :)

• Like 3

I watched Drunken Dragon last night, version was english dub,cropped and ran 70 odd minutes so guessing it was a cut version.Not very good at all despite Beardy and Phillip Ko's presence,though climax is pretty energetic.

• Like 3

King Of The Boxers

We are treated to a lengthy action-free travelogue as Meng Fei,on a visit to Thailand is befriended by a beautiful girl who shows him the sights.Meng Fei eventually declares his interest in thai boxing so he makes fast friends with a top fighter,teaching him some chinese kung fu skills. He heads home where he finds out his school and sister have been bullied by the evil japanese Kurata . We then get the usual tit for tat between the schools as Meng Fei seeks justice. This is pretty decent,with some bloody fighting and i was surprised at the plot move with 20 minutes left. Copy i saw was wide,english dubbed and reasonably watchable, i think i nabbed it off youtube.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 4

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, saltysam said:

King Of The Boxers

We are treated to a lengthy action-free travelogue as Meng Fei,on a visit to Thailand is befriended by a beautiful girl who shows him the sights.Meng Fei eventually declares his interest in thai boxing so he makes fast friends with a top fighter,teaching him some chinese kung fu skills. He heads home where he finds out his school and sister have been bullied by the evil japanese Kurata . We then get the usual tit for tat between the schools as Meng Fei seeks justice. This is pretty decent,with some bloody fighting and i was surprised at the plot move with 20 minutes left. Copy i saw was wide,english dubbed and reasonably watchable, i think i nabbed it off youtube.

Once the elephant scene is over, I quite like this one. Weirdly, Meng Fei seems to be a teenager playing the part of a much older man, and as dubbed by Ted Thomas, he sounds about 50!

Oddly, the Thai location scenes seems to be in the 1970s, whilst all the Chinese scenes are on a studio and seem to be set in the 1920s!

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Oddly, the Thai location scenes seems to be in the 1970s, whilst all the Chinese scenes are on a studio and seem to be set in the 1920s!

Not oddly, just budget. But yeah, those anachronisms always irks me.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

WORLD OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER - The end is inappropriately sad. The coop action Jack Long - Li Yi Min was especially cool.
I consider myself a Jack Long fan now. What else do I need to see apart from this movie, 7 GRANDMASTERS and MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

WORLD OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER - The end is inappropriately sad. The coop action Jack Long - Li Yi Min was especially cool.
I consider myself a Jack Long fan now. What else do I need to see apart from this movie, 7 GRANDMASTERS and MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING?

If you enjoy the cast of WOTDM you will for sure love 7 Grandmasters and The Mystery of Chess Boxing. 2 of the best martial arts movies ever made. Born Invincible is definitely worth checking on out aswell! 

• Like 4

Cognoscente
51 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

WORLD OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER - The end is inappropriately sad.

It's like they wanted to recreate Jackie's poignant letter scene in Drunken Master.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
9 hours ago, Django said:

(...) Born Invincible is definitely worth checking on out aswell! 

Will do, thanks! Pity there seems to be no decent release but oh well ....

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Will do, thanks! Pity there seems to be no decent release but oh well ....

It is a pity indeed. Hopefully there is a print somewhere to be found. According to the RKFM site, there is a Japanese Widescreen VHS - I have never seen this version but if it does exists it should be floating around here..

• Like 5

Revenge Of The Bushido Blade

During the war the americans storm the house of a japanese general ,killing him and raping his wife. Their young son witnesses the carnage. He grows up to be Leo Fong,who swears revenge and becomes a martial arts expert. 35 years later the american head to Manila for a reunion,offering Leo a perfect chance for revenge. For most of the movie Cameron Mitchell and his buddies sit round the bar getting drunk while Leo starts his revenge spree all around them. Pretty awful and RIP Leo Fong but he's got zero screen presence here and his fighting is stiff and awward. Not a good movie.

• Like 4

The Shaolin Plot

Fantastic movie and with the Eureka release it gets the picture and sound quality it deserves.Great cast including Sammo,Chen Sing,James Tien,Casanova Wong and a host of up and coming stuntmen who would go on to make there mark in later years.One of my favourites and a finale that sees an incredible kicking display from Casanova Wong.Great stuff👍👍👍👍

• Like 5

shukocarl1441996347

Knight-Errant (again):blush

Just finished watching Dynamo (again)

Oh, and Point the Finger of Death this afternoon...

The Last Strike (Soul Bros of KF)

Cave of the Living Dead (1964)

• Like 5