What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Chu Liu Hsiang

DRAGON'S CLAW - interesting 'who's the baddie here' sadly soon turns out to be standard plot. There is a short scene in which Hwang Jang Lee has a sort of romantic reminiscence, when he meets the protagonist's mother whom he knows from their past, I thought that was rather unique. Apart from Yuen Qiu who is impressive, everyone is annoying or unlikable. Includes one of these notorious disturbing pee scenes. 

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

MIRACULOUS SWORD ART - bad dub and bad picture but I still enjoyed this wuxia a lot. There must be a relation to BLACK EAGLE'S BLADES, as Tien Ho plays the same character (Eagle, who lost an arm in between the two movies and here uses a sword with a, hopefully, fake hand as sword hilt). I think Chi Kuan Chun plays the same character as in BEB, too.  Will try to find out more.

This movie was released under numerous titles of which LONE NINJA WARRIOR is the most nonsensical. Is there no subbed, non full screen version out there?

• Like 4

ShawAngela

I watched the Eureka release of Odd Couple yesterday, and I had forgotten that the old masters were

Spoiler

killed !

Spoiler

I couldn't help but laugh during a lot of the fights !

• Like 3

I watched Knockabout through the Eureka Blu. Probably my fave Sammo release by Eureka. 

• Like 4

Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu

Great package from 88 .Early Jackie is certainly unusual and will be an acquired taste for many

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

FIST AND GUTS - enjoyed it a lot, especially the "silent" fight and the traps (they were a bit silly though as the guys could have easily just climbed thru them). Great action, and the comedy was not off-putting. The scene in the Hansen's disease camp was of course bad taste but then again, the whole world is a bad taste mess anyway. This movie deserves a decent release.

• Like 8

Drunken Monk

Return of the Chinese Boxer (1977) - After a long time of not really liking Jimmy Wang Yu, I've been trying to check out more of his films. So I picked this one up on Blu Ray recently. 
The plot is a kinda simple Chinese versus Japanese story but with lots of added side notes here and there. I want to into the ins and outs. Just know that Jimmy Wang Yu is helping to protect the Chinese from those dastardly Japanese. Throw in some Muay Thai fighters, a wielding Lung Fei and a tournament flashback and you've got yourself a pretty entertaining film. With that said, if you've seen One Armed Boxer and The Chinese Boxer, you've pretty much seen this before.

With that said, I think this film features Wang Yu's best fight work (from what I've seen). Not only is the choreography crisp and hard hitting, there are plenty of gimmicks that spice things up a bit. A shitload of guns, a dagger vest a la Wilson Tong in Daggers 8, a hilarious moment where Wang Yu keeps stealing a guy's spear and burying it in the ground (looks better than it sounds)... It really is a lot of fun. Is there three zombie fighters? Why yes, there is.

The finale is as funny as it is genius. I don't want to spoil it for anyone though. Let's just say that instead of Bruce Lee clones, we get Jimmy Wang Yu clones.

Really enjoyed this one and the German Blu Ray looks pretty fantastic.

• Like 6

ShawAngela

After having searched for it for years, I finally put my hands on Dirty kung fu thanks to @SMK, and I watched it this evening.

I must confess that I expected much that what it is, but after Wilson Tong appeared in the movie, I was stucked to the screen. I enjoyed each and every of his fights here : with Addy Sung, with Liu Chia Yung, with Norman Tsui and of course with Wong Yue.

Great fighter, really ! I didn't search to know who is the choreographer, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that it's Wilson Tong himself who did it ! He really has a special choreography, here, and it looks like he has so mny various styles in his movies !

• Like 4

massa_yoda
8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Return of the Chinese Boxer (1977) - After a long time of not really liking Jimmy Wang Yu, I've been trying to check out more of his films. So I picked this one up on Blu Ray recently. 

Just curious, but is there any continuity with the original Chinese Boxer? 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
41 minutes ago, massa_yoda said:

Just curious, but is there any continuity with the original Chinese Boxer? 

Nope. Wang Yu actually plays two different characters.

• Like 4

shukocarl1441996347

Dynasty (1977), the 3D one but watched in 2D. Good locations, costumes etc and two good actors in Pai Ying and Kam Kang wasted in this gimmicky rubbish. Tan Tao Liang's in it too...but I can't stand his ugly mush anyway.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Dynasty (1977), the 3D one but watched in 2D. Good locations, costumes etc and two good actors in Pai Ying and Kam Kang wasted in this gimmicky rubbish. Tan Tao Liang's in it too...but I can't stand his ugly mush anyway.

Dorian Tan always looked like a cross-eyed David Carradine to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

It is a lot of fun watching it in 3D and i think this is the way it meant to be. Looking it in 2D the movie is not more than other usually taiwanese wuxia of the period.

• Like 2

ShawAngela

Some days ago, I continued my journey among the movies I bought from our friend @SMK.

I watched Mantis combat. Great movie, with a lot of superb sceneries, very good plot and superb music. Barry Chan doing mantis style and Chang Yi Tao doing kicking style paired very well ! The only thing that I find a pity is that the girl didn't have any fight.

• Like 3

ShawAngela

I also watched The bloody hero, a Filipino movie with Meng Fei. I should say a GREAT movie with Meng Fei ! Good plot, ferocious fights, a very good girl fighter and Meng Fei and Unicorn Chan are excellent here, though this latter role is a little bit "disguting" until the end, when he realizes what he has done.

My only complaint is the ending, it's an unjust one !

• Like 3

ShawAngela
2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Some days ago, I continued my journey among the movies I bought from our friend @SMK.

I watched Mantis combat. Great movie, with a lot of superb sceneries, very good plot and superb music. Barry Chan doing mantis style and Chang Yi Tao doing kicking style paired very well ! The only thing that I find a pity is that the girl didn't have any fight.

I forgot to mention Chen Hsing in an evil role, and Tien Ching who does fight a litlle bit at the beginning of the movie.

• Like 2

ShawAngela

I also watched Blood stained sword. From what I saw, it's likely a Mainland movie, but with a lot of great fights and a very good plot. And I was surprised to discover that...it was French subbed ! Which is really amazing, since these movies usually don't have any subtitles for most of them.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, ShawAngela said:

The night of the assassins for the first time. When I saw the first images, it reminded me of one of the parts of the series The Assassins with Adam Cheng, because of the costumes. And I was right, since this movie tells the story of the assassin Zhuan Zhu during the Warrig States, if I'm not mistaken. From what I remember, the story differs a little bit from Adam Cheng's version, but...having watched this movie will give me the opportunity to watch again the series in order to be sure...!!

I finally got around to this myself. Here's my review:

https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2022/05/night-of-assassins-1981.html

• Like 3

Enjoyed a Philip Ko double feature last night. 

Duel of the 7 Tigers 

Tiger Over Wall

It's the second time I watch Duel of the 7 Tigers, I enjoyed it even more on a second viewing. My only complains will be about the scene where they go out on the lake, that was a little bit boring to sit through but otherwise, this is a solid gem. Oh, my favorite fight was probably the one between Casanova Wong and Cliff Lok - Just amazing.. It was my second time sitting through Tiger Over Wall as well, I have watched the climatic onslaught of an end fight many times though.  Some people think that the plot is stupid and that it's thin of fights but I don't mind it att all. All the actors are doing a great job, and the camera job and visuals feels inspired all the way through. It has a great noir feel to it in my opinion!

• Like 3

8DiagramAuntieFighter

Just got done watching Odd Couple with my brother. Amazing movie. One of the best weapon based fight scenes I’ve probably ever seen. Had us laughing through a lot of it as well. (I can’t explain why this stuff is funnier to me than comedy stand up specials from washed up comedians.) Sammo Hung was on a rampage after Shaolin Plot. Probably a top 5 all time run imo. 

• Like 2

Kung Fu Executioner

Even the late great Chen Sing in a villianous role can't elevate this Billy Chong/Carl Scott actioner above standard fare.

Rage Of Wind

Great 70's basher features the standard poor chinese villagers vs evil japanese plot, Chen Sing is the hero and goes up against his regular foe Kurata.Sun Lan in his signature role of cowardly lackey to the japanese.The print i have is a TV print titled Ninja Warlord,really hoping the germans can unearth a scope print of this one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saltysam said:

Kung Fu Executioner

Even the late great Chen Sing in a villianous role can't elevate this Billy Chong/Carl Scott actioner above standard fare.

Rage Of Wind

Great 70's basher features the standard poor chinese villagers vs evil japanese plot, Chen Sing is the hero and goes up against his regular foe Kurata.Sun Lan in his signature role of cowardly lackey to the japanese.The print i have is a TV print titled Ninja Warlord,really hoping the germans can unearth a scope print of this one.

Rage of Wind was never released in germany. Have a widescreen version with english and chinese hardsubs but it is so fuzzy it is near unwatchable. Kung Fu Executioner is top notch.

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 2/29/2020 at 10:48 PM, ShawAngela said:

The crazy chase 1981

A crazy comedy lead by Liu Chia Yung.

The more I see him, the more I think that he looks like a twin for his brother Liu Chia Liang, they even have the same smile !!

And he has a tiny fight in which he imitates Bruce Lee with the shouts, the postures and even the music from Way of the Dragon and the last image from Fist of fury !!

The movie intrigues me with the Bruce Lee connection. Like Bruce Li's The Chinese Stuntman (1982), The Crazy Chase has a plot involving an insurance scam in the movie industry. That fight scene you mentioned (the ambush in the woman's apartment) reminds me of one of the rumours surrounding Bruce's death.

There is a heist fight scene in The Crazy Chase which pays homage to the chest hair moment in the Chuck Norris fight in Way of the Dragon...except Liu grabs pubic hair instead! His character is a detective whose office contains posters of Bruce and Jackie.

The movie is wild as can be expected when the producer is Lo Wei, the director is Eric Tsang, and the writer is Wong Jing!

• Like 3

Kung Fu Zombie Vs Tigerclaw

Stupid title for a bonkers movie that commits the fatal mistake of being boring despite being bonkers.Tung Wei and Lo Lieh star, i find Tung Wei a charismar-free lead at the best of times. We do get a tiger here though,one that talks to the audience in the english dub.

• Like 2