What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

Yesterday, I finally watched my blu ray of The Thrilling Bloody Sword.

What a very strange movie ! With a villainess looking like Cleopatra, some, Li Kun wearing clothes ala Robin Hood, four soldiers from the young prince wearing clothes as if they were ancient greek fighters and the prince clothed as a gladiator ! There were a bunch of Shaws' actors, there : Chang Yi, Chin Han, Chiang Sheng.

On the same disc, there was the movie Incredible kung fu mission, that I watched maybe for the thrid or fourth time.

And then, there was also the movie A life of ninja, that I watched for the first time. I enjoyed it a lot.

• Like 3

venomsreviews

I finally sat down to fully watch Sword with the Windbell (1983) after skimming through it just to see what it was like one night. I believe it was made in Taiwan. It features David Chiang, Chiang Sheng, and Tien Ping. Such an interesting movie! Chiang Sheng’s character was more villainous, and his costumes and hairstyle were very cool. He was very menacing here. Overall, David and Chiang gave solid performances, as they usually do. I can definitely say that it wasn’t like anything I was used to watching, but I don’t mean that in a bad way. Some of the scenes surprised me.

I also rewatched Ode to Gallantry (1982) ! I always loved the humorous character that Kuo Chui played. To me, it was just a fun movie overall and the plot was one that I enjoyed. The fight scenes were just as great as I remembered! It’s always one that I love to go back and watch after a little while has passed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, venomsreviews said:

I finally sat down to fully watch Sword with the Windbell (1983) after skimming through it just to see what it was like one night. I believe it was made in Taiwan. It features David Chiang, Chiang Sheng, and Tien Ping. Such an interesting movie! Chiang Sheng’s character was more villainous, and his costumes and hairstyle were very cool. He was very menacing here. Overall, David and Chiang gave solid performances, as they usually do. I can definitely say that it wasn’t like anything I was used to watching, but I don’t mean that in a bad way. Some of the scenes surprised me.

I also rewatched Ode to Gallantry (1982) ! I always loved the humorous character that Kuo Chui played. To me, it was just a fun movie overall and the plot was one that I enjoyed. The fight scenes were just as great as I remembered! It’s always one that I love to go back and watch after a little while has passed.

I guess that I should rewatch Sword with the windbell, because when I first watched it many years ago, I was disappointed, I don' t remember why, now.

• Like 2

venomsreviews
17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I guess that I should rewatch Sword with the windbell, because when I first watched it many years ago, I was disappointed, I don' t remember why, now.

I will say that it’s not necessarily the best movie I’ve ever seen since it felt a little rushed or choppy, but I liked it well enough!

• Like 4

Yesterday, I finally took out my vcd of The Stormy Sun from the box where it was since I bought it in the 10's and I watched it for the first time. I loved it ! Pai Ying and Chang Yi paired very well in this movie and it should get a proper remastered release.

And I did the same with Whiplash that I had never watched since I had bought it. I enjoyed it too, but less than other Cheng Pei Pei's movies I love, I do'nt know why. It was strange to see Tsai Hung with a moustache ! As usual, Yi Yuan played his villain's character very well. I guess that the Shout Factory release of this movie has a better quality print as the Joysales vcd, right ?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Yesterday, I finally took out my vcd of The Stormy Sun from the box where it was since I bought it in the 10's and I watched it for the first time. I loved it ! Pai Ying and Chang Yi paired very well in this movie and it should get a proper remastered release.

I thought it was a pretty standard basher when I first saw it. But the review of it at So Good Reviews really had it in high esteem by early 1970s standards. I need to see it again.

11 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

And I did the same with Whiplash that I had never watched since I had bought it. I enjoyed it too, but less than other Cheng Pei Pei's movies I love,

I'm a bad kung fu movie fan. I haven't seen Cheng Pei Pei in a wuxia film outside of Come Drink with Me.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I'm a bad kung fu movie fan. I haven't seen Cheng Pei Pei in a wuxia film outside of Come Drink with Me.

This one is not really a wuxia movie. It's more like her movie Kung Fu Girl, mainly hands and feet punches, and she also uses a whip and an arbalet. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I recommend “ the flying dagger” and “the lady hermit”.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WangYu said:

I recommend “ the flying dagger” and “the lady hermit”.

My main problem is availability. When I could've gotten them for relatively cheap in the early 2000s, I didn't have the interest--still too interested in Jet Li and newer stuff. Now that I do, I can only afford to get bootlegs here in Brazil. But I'll see about finding them at one point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

My main problem is availability. When I could've gotten them for relatively cheap in the early 2000s, I didn't have the interest--still too interested in Jet Li and newer stuff. Now that I do, I can only afford to get bootlegs here in Brazil. But I'll see about finding them at one point.

It seems to me that I have a double of The Lady Hermit, I'll check.

• Like 3

I watched Ninja in the dragon's den today, and I enjoyed it a lot. Conan Lee's play reminded me of Jackie Chan's in some of his movies.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
11 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Conan Lee's play reminded me of Jackie Chan's in some of his movies.

Which was probably deliberate.

• Like 4

FightingFool
20 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I watched Ninja in the dragon's den today, and I enjoyed it a lot. Conan Lee's play reminded me of Jackie Chan's in some of his movies.

Almost bought Korean version years ago from ebay but backed off on last second as price was high for a movie without english subs...Recently when saw it on tube can safely say it was best not to buy it then..

• Like 4

The Boxer's Adventure

Despite starring Tan Tao Liang and Meng Fei (who's rather annoying) this one takes a while to get going and when it does it never hits the heights. All rather mediocre.Widescreen,i guess what i watched came from a rip of the german DVD.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, saltysam said:

The Boxer's Adventure

Despite starring Tan Tao Liang and Meng Fei (who's rather annoying) this one takes a while to get going and when it does it never hits the heights.

Interesting. I'd heard a lot of good things about this one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DrNgor said:

Interesting. I'd heard a lot of good things about this one.

I liked Meng Fei in Prodigal Boxer but i found his constant smirking annoying here.Tan Tao Liang plays 2nd fiddle for much of the movie.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, saltysam said:

The Boxer's Adventure

Despite starring Tan Tao Liang and Meng Fei (who's rather annoying) this one takes a while to get going and when it does it never hits the heights. All rather mediocre.Widescreen,i guess what i watched came from a rip of the german DVD.

If it's the one starring also Jack Long and Blacky Ko, I loved it !

• Like 3

FightingFool

Loosely based on Dirty Dozen, it`s up to John Liu and few associates to rescue captured revolutionary from the mansion of evil warlord Robert Tai. Lots of action in good movie, Robert Tai seems to be quite fine kicker ( unless he was doubled which is possible. Cape, silly wig and thing sometimes you just see feet in end fight would make it easy). Have to be close to 7-8 years since last time watched, had forgotten it has bit annoy moment, another fighter needs to grab villain so Liu can finish him. It`s not unique concept in his movies. Still, very solid independent label kung fu entertainment.

In extra material there is scene of "moonlight sword and jade lion". Well, it looks Incredible!

Sieppaa.PNG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FightingFool said:

Loosely based on Dirty Dozen, it`s up to John Liu and few associates to rescue captured revolutionary from the mansion of evil warlord Robert Tai. Lots of action in good movie, Robert Tai seems to be quite fine kicker ( unless he was doubled which is possible. Cape, silly wig and thing sometimes you just see feet in end fight would make it easy). Have to be close to 7-8 years since last time watched, had forgotten it has bit annoy moment, another fighter needs to grab villain so Liu can finish him. It`s not unique concept in his movies. Still, very solid independent label kung fu entertainment.

In extra material there is scene of "moonlight sword and jade lion". Well, it looks Incredible!

Sieppaa.PNG

moonlight sword and jade lion is a good mix of wuxia and shapes and Angela Mao is in it !!!

• Like 3

The Sword

Jimmy Wang Yu is a nobleman who's sword obsessions consumes him and leads to tragedy. Enjoyed this,would love to see it in a better print than the cropped Crash DVD with burnt in subs.

• Like 3