What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

DarthKato

The karate kid trilogy

Ok so I love the first one upon rewatch. I remember finding it silly as a kid because I grew up watching Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and Van Damme. So I laughed with this corny film but I was wrong. This movie is full of heart and likable characters. The training scene (wax on wax off) get a brilliant pay off when Daniel finally finds out why he trained this way. Elisabeth Shue plays one of the nicest characters written for the screen, Daniel is confident but not cocky still gets picked on but it never gets him down too much. These are very grounded characters. Miyagi is funny and believable as the teacher.

The second film immediately disappointed me because most of the characters didn’t return and there was a change of setting. I would have loved seeing Daniel growing in his relationship. The villain this time is over the top with its ridiculous plot, the honor plot is so overdone it gets laughable. There is no fun surprising training scheme here either. The final blow looks ridiculous and not iconic like the crane kick. His new love with Kumiko is decent. The film is ok but a serious step down for me

The third film is completely ridiculous. The bad guys are so obnoxiously over the top, the final fight is a disaster. Daniel gets completely destroyed both verbally as in the ring yet he prevails because he lands 1 punch. I know it is points based but it felt so funny to hear the referee say 0-0 all the time after such a beating. The new main bad guy is so smug even after getting pummeled by Miyagi, irritating as hell. The whole subplot with the bonsai tree was laughable.

But the first one? A total classic!

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

CHAOCHOW GUY - great basher. 

Spoiler

Nancy Yen gets to beat up Tien Peng! Of course, later on he surpasses her skills, saves her and completes the final fight. 

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

The Big Fight (1972) - crude but fun basher with a high body count, lots of sleaze, and an impressive number of slimy quislings getting pulped by our heroes. Yay!!!!

• Like 2

Fists Of The Double K

I've seen this dozens of times, love it,the best basher that doesn't feature Chen Sing ever.Needs a proper restoration by Arrow,Eureka or Criterion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Fists Of The Double K

I've seen this dozens of times, love it,the best basher that doesn't feature Chen Sing ever.Needs a proper restoration by Arrow,Eureka or Criterion.

Isn't it the movie that was in the basher box from Pearl River with Meng Fei's movie ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Isn't it the movie that was in the basher box from Pearl River with Meng Fei's movie ?

No, that was Awaken Punch with the same star,Henry Yue.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, saltysam said:

No, that was Awaken Punch with the same star,Henry Yue.

Ah, yes, sorry ! Thanks !

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

Adventure in Denmark.....had not seen it in a few yrs , forgot Piet had several scenes

Also watching "Air steward" with James Lui but its not as entertaining imo (havent finished it yet though)

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

The Victim (1980) - I recently bought @TheKungFuRobber's Blu Ray of this and it looks wonderful. It's so nice getting an upgrade of the old DVD.
I've seen this film a number of times but for some reason I'd forgotten just how fight filled it is. I'd also forgotten that it doesn't feature too much silly comedy (unlike say, Odd Couple). Most of the laughs are solid and despite a goofy Dracula scene, the film plays out pretty seriously.
I'd say this is one of Sammo's best. I may even prefer it to the likes of some of his Golden Harvest classics. It's a shapes fan's wet dream. The plot is super simple, the action is frequent and Wilson Tong appears out of nowhere to deliver some of the crispiest leg work you've ever seen.
It also has a shockingly good twist (two in fact. Though one's obvious). I can't say enough good things about this one. 

• Like 9

Karado The Hong Kong Cat

Cheung Nik returns home what seems a barely inhabited island run by gangster Tiger (Bolo) with a cool tache.His henchmen include the bald guy who was Lo Lieh's henchman in Deadly Fingers and James Nam .Cheung Nik quickly cleans house and Tiger calls for reinforcements led by the great Fang Yeh and Shan Kwai. Things turn serious when it turns out Kwai has a gun. More fighting and then we end up in a familiar quarry,where Fang eventually gets his trusty whip out.Tiger tries to escape by ship but Cheung isn't having it. Another great basher that imdb reviewers hate on,they know nothing, bring on Eureka and a Fang Yeh whip Trilogy on blu ray :laugh

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Karado The Hong Kong Cat

Cheung Nik returns home what seems a barely inhabited island run by gangster Tiger (Bolo) with a cool tache.His henchmen include the bald guy who was Lo Lieh's henchman in Deadly Fingers and James Nam .Cheung Nik quickly cleans house and Tiger calls for reinforcements led by the great Fang Yeh and Shan Kwai. Things turn serious when it turns out Kwai has a gun. More fighting and then we end up in a familiar quarry,where Fang eventually gets his trusty whip out.Tiger tries to escape by ship but Cheung isn't having it. Another great basher that imdb reviewers hate on,they know nothing, bring on Eureka and a Fang Yeh whip Trilogy on blu ray :laugh

Is it the one where James nam is Cheung Lik's brother ?

• Like 2

The Thunder Kick

Larry Lee returns home and soon kicks slimy Sun Lan's ass. He gets scolded by his mother but when Sun turns up with Bolo (dressed in black with a cool hat) she changes her mind. With the help of James Nam Larry cleans house again and Bolo disappears after his customary whipping. James returns home where he is trying to put a stop to the opium,brothels and gambling sens in his town. He doesn't succeed so it's down to Larry to sort out. Fantastic basher with a fantastic finale with Larry using tonfas. The german dvd unfortunately uses a heavily cut cinema print so relies on 4:3 inserts,particularly jarring during the climax. Another film that needs a HD restoration.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, saltysam said:

The Thunder Kick

Larry Lee returns home and soon kicks slimy Sun Lan's ass. He gets scolded by his mother but when Sun turns up with Bolo (dressed in black with a cool hat) she changes her mind. With the help of James Nam Larry cleans house again and Bolo disappears after his customary whipping. James returns home where he is trying to put a stop to the opium,brothels and gambling sens in his town. He doesn't succeed so it's down to Larry to sort out. Fantastic basher with a fantastic finale with Larry using tonfas. The german dvd unfortunately uses a heavily cut cinema print so relies on 4:3 inserts,particularly jarring during the climax. Another film that needs a HD restoration.

I loved this movie and I love Larry Lee too ! Do you mean that the movie should be longer than what it is ?! I guess that you are talking about the German release where there are three movies inside, right ?

• Like 3

no it's not cut but the main source was a good quality widescreen german cinema print which was heavily cut.to make it uncut 4:3 inserts from another source had to be used,which made it particularly jarring in the final fight. I own the single hartbox release

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B00EZJQU6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 4

I watched again The Legendary Strike today, maybe for the fourth or fifth time, and I tell everybody here that I'll never be bored watching it !

This is an underrated Angela Mao's movie that deserves a better release, with its Mandariin language, English subtitles (which is the version I watched) and the song sung by Roman Tam intact !

• Like 4

DragonClaws

Re-watched an 80's Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung Golden Harvest classic today, click on the link below for some of my Project A themed write-up.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/mv5bngyyztkzyzctownlzc00ndc0lwi5zdatogm1ndrhyjc4ztrmxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyntcxntizntu_v1_uy1200_cr8306301200_al.jpg

• Like 2

For the first time, I watched today The master and the kid and I enjoyed it a lot.

On my Vengeance Video dvd, there is a bonus fight showing Yueh Hua taking a group of swordsmen, while Tsung Hua and another guy are watching the fight. At a point, the swordsmen use a formation and they shake their swords, which disturbs Yueh Hua, and it's Tsung Hua who gives a clue to Yueh Hua in order to be able to defeat the swordsmen.

As Tsung Hua is nowhere to be seen in the movie, I wonder if this bonus fight belongs to The master and kid, and if so, where it should take place during the movie. 

Does anyone have the German blu ray and know if this scene is included in it ?

I watched again The Dragon Kid today, and I enjoyed it as much as the first time.  Yu Tien Long is definitely a great actor and fighter.

If only the movie The Dauntless Bumpkin with him and Tso Yen Yung too was available, it would be great, they pair very well !

And, for the third or fourth time, I watched again Furious Slaughter. What a great movie ! As Wang Yu and Tien Yeh are two of my favorite actors, I enjoyed it a lot. 

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 4/11/2022 at 12:07 PM, Coliseum1972 said:

Adventure in Denmark.....had not seen it in a few yrs , forgot Piet had several scenes

Also watching "Air steward" with James Lui but its not as entertaining imo (havent finished it yet though)

I saw this in Chinatown. James Lui's "OOhh Face" was very disturbing as a teenager.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
On 4/18/2022 at 12:05 AM, ShawAngela said:

For the first time, I watched today The master and the kid and I enjoyed it a lot.

On my Vengeance Video dvd, there is a bonus fight showing Yueh Hua taking a group of swordsmen, while Tsung Hua and another guy are watching the fight. At a point, the swordsmen use a formation and they shake their swords, which disturbs Yueh Hua, and it's Tsung Hua who gives a clue to Yueh Hua in order to be able to defeat the swordsmen.

As Tsung Hua is nowhere to be seen in the movie, I wonder if this bonus fight belongs to The master and kid, and if so, where it should take place during the movie. 

Does anyone have the German blu ray and know if this scene is included in it ?

That bonus fight is from The Dream Sword (1979) which I wholeheartedly recommend, one of my fave Taiwanese wuxia movies. The six swordsmen going against Yueh Hua are using the superman play technique as they call it in the movie. 

I have both the Vengeance Video DVD and the German Blu-ray of The Master and the Kid and I can only say get it if you liked the movie, I sure did. German release is quite an upgrade. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

14 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

That bonus fight is from The Dream Sword (1979) which I wholeheartedly recommend, one of my fave Taiwanese wuxia movies. The six swordsmen going against Yueh Hua are using the superman play technique as they call it in the movie. 

I have both the Vengeance Video DVD and the German Blu-ray of The Master and the Kid and I can only say get it if you liked the movie, I sure did. German release is quite an upgrade. 

Thank you very much for the answers to my questions !

• Like 3